HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:48:53 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Joker 2 premieres in theaters October 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 6, 2021  (Read 2288 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: October 05, 2021, 03:35:03 PM »

Let's get this week rolling. What are you getting and what are you reading?

Is anyone getting Marvel's Darkhold Alpha?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 05:38:06 PM »

Let's get this week rolling. What are you getting and what are you reading?

Is anyone getting Marvel's Darkhold Alpha?

I know I'll be reading it in 3 months when it hits MU but no, won't be buying it.
I actually don't give it much a chance of being bought by anyone other than you, if you choose  Smiley, because I believe you may just be the sole "day of release" floppy buyer here now Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 04:34:48 AM »

Here’s my list for this week.  Feeling good about making it through!

ComiXology Unlimited
Hey Kids! Comics! Vol 2 #5
The Last Flight Out #1
Moonshine #27
Uber: The First Cycle FCBD Edition
The Unbelievable Unteens #2
The Silver Coin #1
The Silver Coin #2
The Silver Coin #3
The Silver Coin #4
The Silver Coin #5
Stray Bullets Vol 4: Sunshine & Roses (Collects issues #25-32)

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four: Life Story #2
Shang-Chi #2
The Marvels #3
Beta Ray Bill #4
Eternals #5
Black Widow #8
Cable #11
Dare Devil #31
Black Cat Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #6
Batman/Catwoman #4
The Flash #768
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

---------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 04:00:26 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 12:02:06 AM »

Amazing Spider-Man #75
Batman #114
Champions #10... final issue (again)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 01:36:45 PM »

Man, I forgot a few books that I should have already read. Also, on the flip side of things, I deleted the two Spawn books from the reading list as I think I may go ahead and go back to issue #300 and see if I want to grab it from there. I don't much care for McFarland's writing, but if he just plots I may be okay. I keep hearing really good things about this title now and I am telling the guys at the LCS no spoilers, but man, it is getting harder and harder.
I also deleted the two Batman books, for now. I did read a few stories from the Batman: World issue, but going to come back to it and Urban Legends later. I know I want to read the Fear arc/event of his and I don't want to be burnt out on Batman (like DC seems to want us to do if their December solicitations are any indication  Grin).
Also added a few more older DC and Marvel to this ongoing list. December of 1975 was a huge month with 8 titles I did or would've read. Going to take me awhile, but man, this is where the Marvel ball gets a'rollin
Man I "talked" a lot here ... more than usual
 Cheesy
Okay, sorry

MU Older Stuff - Released Nov/Dec 1975
Invaders #3
MoKF #34       
Avengers #142 (*sigh - I will try, another Colletta inks over Perez though  Angry)
Fantastic Four #165
Marvel Team-Up #40
Master of Kung-Fu #35
Amazing Spider-Man #151
Defenders #30
Doctor Strange #11
Thor #242

MU Newer Stuff
Cable #11
X-Men #1 (MU Monday)

DCI Older Stuff
Legion of Super Heroes #3
Legion of Super Heroes #4
Legion of Super Heroes #5
Legion of Super Heroes #6
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #11
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #12
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #13
L.E.G.I.O.N '90 #14

DCI Newer Stuff
Infinite Frontier #0
Infinite Frontier #1
Flash #768
DC Horror Presents Soul Plumber #1
Nightwing #84

Others
The Cimmerian: The Man Eaters of Samboula #1 (of 2)
The Cimmerian: The Man Eaters of Samboula #2 (of 2)
The Cimmerian: Beyond the Black River #1 (of 3)
Ice Cream Man #25
Serial #7
Black Hammer Reborn #3
Black Hammer Visions #8
Locke & Key/Sandman #0
Locke & Key/Sandman #1
Locke & Key/Sandman #2
Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9
Geiger #2
Geiger #3
Geiger #4
Nocterra #1
Nocterra #2
Nocterra #3

Flash #768 - Okay, art wasn't as "digital" looking as I had heard (maybe it comes later?) so that was good. The story is, well, not sure about it yet, but off to a good start I guess. Will certainly DL the next issue.

Cable #11 - So it all comes down to next issue. Old and young Cable going off to battle ole pointy head!!

Invaders #3 - Heading back America the Invaders notice a U-Boat attacking a ship. Namor has some fun with the crew before taking them out (which was kinda weird to see. But all good, them being Nazis and all) The Invaders find that the Nazis have plans on killing Churchill, but when Namor finds out that some of his fellow Atlanteans have joined the bad guys, he is more pressed to go fight them. He and Bucky set off to handle things while the others try to save the Prime Minister.
Oh, and I love first appearances and here we get the first appearance of the Atlantean U-Man!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 12:56:57 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
The Last Flight Out #1
Moonshine #27

The Silver Coin #1
The Silver Coin #2
The Silver Coin #3
The Silver Coin #4
The Silver Coin #5

Marvel Unlimited
Shang-Chi #2
The Marvels #3
Beta Ray Bill #4
Eternals #5
Black Widow #8
Cable #11
Dare Devil #31
Black Cat Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman/Catwoman #4
The Flash #768
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

So much for my good feeling for this week!  I’m really off to a slow start!

Hey Kid! Comics! Vol 2 #5 - Ah back to the ‘70s. The first black superhero, men groping women, and editors being a-holes. It’s another great issue of Hey Kids! Comics!

The Last Flight Out #1 - Good start to this future apocalypse.  It’s just the background for a rescue mission that’s fun to read.

Moonshine #27 - The fuse is lit for the coming ending.  Mob war, hillbillies revenge, witchcraft, werewolf fights, and silver bullets.  It’s all in this one!

Uber: The First Cycle FCBD Edition - nice little setup for this series and I’m all in.  What if the Nazi’s were the first to create super-men?  This series shows us.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
The Last Flight Out #1
Moonshine #27

The Silver Coin #1
The Silver Coin #2
The Silver Coin #3
The Silver Coin #4
The Silver Coin #5

Marvel Unlimited
Shang-Chi #2
The Marvels #3
Beta Ray Bill #4
Eternals #5
Black Widow #8
Cable #11
Dare Devil #31
Black Cat Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman/Catwoman #4
The Flash #768
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

The Unbelievable Unteens #2 - the plot thickens as the team reassembles!  We add two more heroes back to the team and discover the fate of a third!  I like they way the art changes for the scenes in the past.  The contrast is very impactful.

The Silver Coin #1 - this might be right up Perry’s alley.  Horror and rock and roll in the ‘70s combine to give us a haunting tale of greed and lost dreams by Chip Zdarsky.  The series follows a silver coin which brings good and bad luck to those who find it.  Each issue is written by a different creator while Mike Walsh provides art for the whole series.  This first issue is pretty good.

The Silver Coin #2 - by the numbers 1990’s summer camp slasher by Kelley Thompson curtesy of our evil silver coin! Not as good as the first issue but still a fun distraction.

The Silver Coin #3 - 1980’s robbery gone wrong shows us how the coin gets where it was in the last issue. Ed Brissom brings us this one and he is a great horror writer. I like how the issues are starting to tie together.

The Silver Coin #4 - as much as I love Jeff Lemire’s story telling, this was the weakest of the four so far.  Probably because it takes place in the far future of the 2400’s.  Takes you out of the mood of the other issues a bit.  It’s still a good Lemire story and It ties into the overall tale, but feels a little out of place for the series.

The Silver Coin #5 - the origin of the coin in the days of the pilgrims written and drawn by creator Mike Walsh! Great issue and ties a lot of things together while expanding on the mystery.  Oh and it really brings that Lemire story into relevancy.  This was supposed to be a five issue mini but did so well it’s going to continue as an ongoing.  Issue six is on its way!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 02:21:40 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 03:09:13 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
The Last Flight Out #1
Moonshine #27

The Silver Coin #1
The Silver Coin #2
The Silver Coin #3
The Silver Coin #4
The Silver Coin #5

Marvel Unlimited
Shang-Chi #2
The Marvels #3

Beta Ray Bill #4
Eternals #5
Black Widow #8
Cable #11
Dare Devil #31
Black Cat Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman/Catwoman #4
The Flash #768
Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Fantastic Four: Life Story #2 - This is ok as an alternative earth kind of story but it’s not in the spirit of the “Life Story” books.  In my mind the Life Story books don’t change the people or events.  It runs through the normal events as they happened over the decades with the characters aging normally.  This isn’t that.  The early events are all different so it doesn’t qualify.  For that I’m disappointed.

Shang-Chi #2 - Not bad pitting Shang Chi against the other evil organizations of the MU.  Plus any comic with M.O.D.O.K. in it is usually a fun read.

The Marvels #3 - Hmmm.  Not sure this is keeping my attention.  It was an ok story but I got a little bored.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »

Busy weekend with kids' school stuff and didn't get any reading done.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 11:42:08 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
The Last Flight Out #1
Moonshine #27

The Silver Coin #1
The Silver Coin #2
The Silver Coin #3
The Silver Coin #4
The Silver Coin #5

Marvel Unlimited
Shang-Chi #2
The Marvels #3

Beta Ray Bill #4
Eternals #5
Black Widow #8
Cable #11
Dare Devil #31
Black Cat Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman/Catwoman #4
The Flash #768

Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #6 - And so we see how the Psycho Pirate may have entered into this next event.  This ramp up with the secret files makes it interesting.  I hope the true event pays off.

Batman/Catwoman #4 - Love the look of the daughter.  The mystery continues as her answers to her Mom's relationship with the Joker only begs more questions.

The Flash #768 - Well I'm not sure if I like this yet or not.  I'm not particularly found of the art.  The story is kind of interesting and I am a sucker for a good time travel story.  Just hoping this is a good one.  It's only the first issue of the new direction so I'll give it some time to develop.  I'm not wowed yet but I don't hate it either.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 01:43:11 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
The Last Flight Out #1
Moonshine #27

The Silver Coin #1
The Silver Coin #2
The Silver Coin #3
The Silver Coin #4
The Silver Coin #5

Marvel Unlimited
Shang-Chi #2
The Marvels #3

Beta Ray Bill #4
Eternals #5
Black Widow #8

Cable #11
Dare Devil #31
Black Cat Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Batman/Catwoman #4
The Flash #768

Inferior Five #1
Inferior Five #2
Inferior Five #3
Inferior Five #4
Inferior Five #5
Inferior Five #6

Beta Ray Bill #4 - oh yeah! The issue leading up to the final battle.  Bill is back!

Eternals #5 - the traitor revealed!  I really like how “grand” everything feels in this book.  It’s like everything is epic.

Black Widow #8 - I keep thinking I’m going to drop this then they pull me back in with a good cliff hanger.  Looks like I’m  back for another issue!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:46:18 AM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS