HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 05:03:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 15, 2021  (Read 4997 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: September 14, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »

Working from home this week (Nationwide alternates weeks) and looking forward to New Comic Wednesday. I'll be at my LCS when it opens at 10AM. Wahoo!!!
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:12:49 AM »

I read....

UNLIMITED

Iron Man 9 - and the nearly year trot out of
Jim Hammond, to connect him with other androids again
. Rapidly cooling on this title. Fast

X-men 21 - Um....the neatest thing I found was the artist from East of West had 6 pages in this title!!!

Amazing Spider-man 68 - Even I wonder now if Betty is with the real deal. Would be a cool way to reverse that history from that issue of 35 years ago!!

And the rest of that ap can go to hell.

INFINITE

Nothing...but Bendis is off of Superman work, and Johnson is on! That's got to be better, right? Right?! Here's hoping...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 03:48:19 AM »

Finally going to finish Seven to Eternity!

ComiXology Unlimited
Rorschach #12
Ascender #18
Jupiter’s Legacy: Requiem #3
Nocterra #6
Radiant Black #7
Tales From Harrow County: Fair Folk #2
Seven to Eternity #14
Seven to Eternity #15
Seven to Eternity #16
Seven to Eternity #17
Stray Bullets Vol 3: Sunshine & Roses (Collects issues #17-24)

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #9
Strange Academy #11
X-Men #21 Hellfire Gala
Excalibur #21 Hellfire Gala

DC Universe Infinite
Invasion! #1
Invasion! #2
Invasion! #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #2
L.E.G.I.O.N. #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
Titans United #1
The Joker #1
Green Lantern #12
Sweet Tooth: The Return #5

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »

Iron Man 9 [...] Rapidly cooling on this title. Fast

What?
Wow, I really enjoyed this one.
I so fondly remember that Avengers arc ... especially the last two issues Avengers #176 and #177 ... with Korvac against the Avengers!! Oh man, inside the Avengers' Mansion, Perez drawing characters all beat to shit, lying all over the place ... and all the debris and damage to the room and walls that only Perez could do? Oh man ... yeah, so much, so many memories hit my head when they showed all the (then) current Avengers at the door, HA, oh the feels!!!!
Yep enjoyed this

X-men 21 - Um....the neatest thing I found was the artist from East of West had 6 pages in this title!!!

I agree. This was not a great Hickman issue and like Jimmy I did enjoy seeing Dragotta's big eyed people again  Grin, but man did I like
Namor being Namor. Of course another thing I think they should have done is make those last couple of panels ... well ... they could have done a little better, as they mean quite a bit to an upcoming arc.
  Smiley

And the rest of that ap can go to hell.

PREACH IT!!

INFINITE

Nothing
and
DC Universe Infinite

Titans United #1
The Joker #1
Green Lantern #12

What? No Batman World or Batman Legends? I've been waiting for both of those puppies!!

Got through -

MU

Iron Man #9 - Loved how they worked a special "someone" into the story and yes, those memories!
X-Men #21 - Eh, sure was nice seeing the king be a king  Grin
Strange Academy #11 - No surprise in this mystery, but enjoyed the protective "daddy" aspect  Grin Also, this issue had one of those amazing panels that I love getting from guided view. It was only one panel, but in guided you get this great feeling of time passing thanks to the edit of only showing us part of the panel. Just start the book in guided view, as it comes pretty early (second panel I think) in the library when Shaylee asks Toth a question.
Sometimes its just the little things
 Grin

DCI

Legion '89 #5 - And so it begins
the origin of the Science Police!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:19:07 PM »

I want to hear Jeff's thoughts on Titans United.

I picked up:
Justice League #67
Superman and the Authority #3
Titans United #1

I really enjoyed looking at all the variants for FF #35. Some really cool covers!
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 02:39:33 AM »

So I thought - let me bang through these three "Invasion!" titles first and get them out of the way.  Little did I know this first issue is 80 pages long!   And we're not talking 80 pages like todays books.  Nope we are talking 80 page in 1988!!  Those books had tons of dialogue.  I spent an hour reading through it and I'm still not done yet.   Shocked

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »

So I thought - let me bang through these three "Invasion!" titles first and get them out of the way.  Little did I know this first issue is 80 pages long!   And we're not talking 80 pages like todays books.  Nope we are talking 80 page in 1988!!  Those books had tons of dialogue.  I spent an hour reading through it and I'm still not done yet.   Shocked

Yeppers!!! Lots of stuff packed in those puppies back in the day, huh. Amazing how you can forget about it, huh? getting all used to the way things are now. Heck, even some of the early 70's stuff was like that, just packed with stuff. And again, not just dialog for the sake of dialog, but dialog FOR the story. You certainly got a lot for your 20˘ - $1.00 back then. Now you can pay, what, $5 and get about two pages of what we used to get back in the day?
 Grin

Of course I know Invasion is a prestige book, more pages and all that, but still, those are like the freakin' $10 books now.
 Shocked

And the art may not have been "better" back then, but it sure was more fun!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 02:00:39 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Rorschach #12
Ascender #18
Nocterra #6
Radiant Black #7
Seven to Eternity #14
Seven to Eternity #15
Seven to Eternity #16
Seven to Eternity #17

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #9
Strange Academy #11
X-Men #21 Hellfire Gala

DC Universe Infinite
Invasion! #1
Invasion! #2
Invasion! #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #2
L.E.G.I.O.N. #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
Titans United #1
The Joker #1
Green Lantern #12

Invasion! #1 - Finally finished this one off.  Very long but never boring and almost entirely written from the enemies point of view.  Small appearances by Adam Strange, the Omega Men, the Spectre, and the Tasmanian Devil.  Omega Men were my favorite chapter of the story.

I think I’m going to catch up on some others from my list before tackling issue 2!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »

Invasion! #1 - Finally finished this one off.  Very long ...

I feel ya! It took my like two weeks to get through all three issues of that mini  Cheesy Cheesy I did find that early Mcfarland art pretty neat though. Still young and rough, but the style is there.

So after waking up at 1:45, I read a few issues of MoKF but then wanting to read some more. however, as I forgot to download more than a couple issues (I am still not used to having that freedom on this app), I instead I ended up fighting the new MU app that wouldn't let me access my library or let me search for shit for some bullshit reason (it better be because they were working in an update), I said screw it and switched over to DCI and got a couple more issues in on their app.
 Tongue

Legion '89 #6 - Mission accomplished! But boy are his "team-mates" pissed!  Grin

Swamp Thing (current) #1 - Decided to reread this after Jeff talked about it. More interested now, after the second read. Grin
Could it be a had more time, could read the entire thing this time instead of trying to stand at the LCS and get the story flipping through the pages? Maybe?
 Grin

Giant-Size Master of Kung-Fu #2 (1974) - Not worth the time, at all  Undecided
Master of Kung Fu #32
Master of Kung Fu #33
- Was going to talk more about this issue, the start of a new arc, but just now, just this second went back to my downloads to refresh myself with a name I had forgotten and I get a "Loading Error" message.
 Angry Angry Angry
This damn thing is pissing me off sooo much now.
I think it is because I am no longer signed in, but what the hell is point in F'n downloading your comics ahead of time if you have to be signed in to read the damn things? Come on you #@$&ers, get your shit together!!!!!
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Iron Man #9
X-Men #21
Strange Academy #11

Legion '89 #5

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 05:37:55 PM »

Detective 992 through 998 - Robinson was a good (enough) fill in with the Two-Face arc, but then Tomasi and Mahnke are here!!! Great starting point! So much...death!!!  Shocked

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 09:31:56 PM »

Detective 992 through 998 - Robinson was a good (enough) fill in with the Two-Face arc, but then Tomasi and Mahnke are here!!! Great starting point! So much...death!!!  Shocked

I didn't start reading this til #1027 and haven't missed an issue since.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 12:39:06 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Rorschach #12
Ascender #18
Nocterra #6
Radiant Black #7
Seven to Eternity #14
Seven to Eternity #15
Seven to Eternity #16
Seven to Eternity #17

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #9
Strange Academy #11
X-Men #21 Hellfire Gala

DC Universe Infinite
Invasion! #1
Invasion! #2
Invasion! #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #2
L.E.G.I.O.N. #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
Titans United #1
The Joker #1
Green Lantern #12

Titans United #1 - I think they officially lost me when Donna said “I thought Nightwing was the only Dick here.”  Jason is too much of an A-hole towards Conner.  It’s out of character even for him.  Plus - isn’t Conner imprisoned in the Suicide Squad?  Continuity is still out the window at DC it seems.  Why can’t anyone get this team right anymore?

I’m moving really slow this week!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 04:52:36 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Rorschach #12
Ascender #18
Nocterra #6
Radiant Black #7
Seven to Eternity #14
Seven to Eternity #15
Seven to Eternity #16
Seven to Eternity #17

Marvel Unlimited
Iron Man #9
Strange Academy #11
X-Men #21 Hellfire Gala

DC Universe Infinite
Invasion! #1
Invasion! #2
Invasion! #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #1
L.E.G.I.O.N. #2
L.E.G.I.O.N. #3
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
L.E.G.I.O.N. #5
Titans United #1
The Joker #1
Green Lantern #12

The Joker #1 - This is not what I thought it would be.  It is so much cooler and better.  The comic is called Joker but this is about Jim Gordon and a quest he is about to go on to eliminate evil.  I am so onboard for this.  The backup story is also good.  It’s a continuation of the Punchline special that came out at the end of Joker War.  My surprise hit this week.

Green Lantern #12 - Well that’s over.  I don’t think I understand Morrison anymore.  This was ok I guess? It felt epic but I really have no idea what this series was about.  Ultimately I don’t think I enjoyed this much at all.  There times I liked some of the stories but yeah, not for my pea brain.

Sweet Tooth: The Return #5 - the creepiness continues! This is a decent story but not as good as the original. I guess that would be hard to top.  Next issue it all comes to a head and the conclusion I’m interested in seeing.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »

The Joker #1 - This is not what I thought it would be.  It is so much cooler and better.  

Actually was surprised you even gave this a shot with your recent "enough with the Joker" stance  Grin

Glad you dug it, though  Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 12:35:32 PM »

As Jeff finally talked my ill equipped brain to start saving $1 on Image comics and wait a month before getting them, I am going to concentrate on getting through some of the older Image stuff and keep more of my time on the big two's digital apps (even with Marvel's being a piece of ...). Now while I am of course still going to read my usual weekly "new digital comics" drops from each company I am also reading more of the older stuff on those apps (mid 70's for Marvel and more late 80's for DC ... mostly) so I will be setting my reads by release date. Mainly to see how well, or poorly, Marvel kept all the time line stuff straight back in the day.

Thus, I'm going to try and start doing a list again, but this is going to be more of a monthly (or at least an ongoing) list vs a weekly list as I just fail every single time I try that.
 Cheesy

So here we go (using Jeff's method of discussion when read) ...

MU

Fantastic Four #161 - just to have some Sinnott art before Perez arrives
Thor #238 - To get a little more entry point/background before the Celestial War
Fantastic Four #162
Thor #239
Fantastic Four #163
Marvel Team-Up #37 - Just now saw this is inked by Colletta  Angry May skip this one
Champions #1 - New title starts the October 1975 issues
Fantastic Four #164 - First Perez!!
Thor #240
Master of Kung-Fu #33
Doctor Strange #10

DCI

Legion '89 #7
Legends of the Dark Knight #1 (2021)
Legion '89 #8
Legion of Super Heroes #1
Legends of the Dark Knight #2
Legion '89 #9
Legion of Super Heroes #2
Legends of the Dark Knight #3
Legion '89 #10
Legion of Super Heroes #3
Legends of the Dark Knight #4

Others

Fire Power #7 - rereading the first couple issues here as Jeff has me wanting to give this title another go
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9
Geiger #2
Geiger #3
Geiger #4
Nocterra #1 - reread
Nocterra #2
Nocterra #3
The Me You Love in the Dark #1 - Skottie Young's (writer) new book getting lots of buzz
Time Before Time #1 - Declan Shelvey's (co-writer) not getting the same buzz, but I am curious

*Whew

Okay, yeah, this will probably take me the rest of the year, but now at least it's all copy and paste
 Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS