HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 02:07:31 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Changes coming to the ComiXology App  (Read 1995 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 02, 2021, 03:09:28 PM »

I got to this email this morning from the founder of ComiXology.  Looks like some changes are coming to their app. I hope it doesn’t mess up the library.  I like the way the Wish List works right now. 

————————————————————————————————————-

Hello, Friends!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm David Steinberger, co-founder and CEO of comiXology. It's been a while since I personally wrote to comiXology customers, but it's for a good reason: the comiXology team has been hard at work making important changes that you'll start to see soon, and today I'm excited to share what's coming.

First, though, I want to ask you to merge your comiXology and Amazon account so you can use these new services — in fact, once we update this fall, you'll need to use an Amazon account to use comiXology at all. You can do so, here. Thanks!

In 2014, comiXology did what all great comic book heroes do: a major team-up. Teaming up with Amazon was the best way to support our mission — to make everyone on the planet a lifelong comics, graphic novel, or manga fan. Since then, we've been adding features like Guided View and comiXology Unlimited to Amazon and the Kindle app. We made our amazing comiXology Originals titles available free-to-read with a Prime Reading, Kindle Unlimited, or comiXology Unlimited membership. These additions have helped us reach more readers of comics, graphic novels, and manga than ever before.

This fall, we're introducing an upgraded comiXology app along with a new way to shop for digital comics and manga on Amazon.com. Here are some of the changes you can expect:

• Our upgraded comiXology app will feature flexible filtering and sorting, and some fun book navigation features.
  • A revamped digital comics shopping experience on Amazon where you'll be able to browse, buy, and borrow books to read on either the comiXology or Kindle app. You can visit the new shopping experience today as we continue to bring new features online. ComiXology.com will redirect to this new experience when we launch.
  • Faster, more reliable downloads on Android and iOS devices. Plus read-while-downloading is new for Android customers. (Yes, we've heard you!)
  • Kindle Unlimited and Prime members will be able to borrow from a large library of graphic novels and manga and read on the comiXology app, in select countries.
  • ComiXology purchases will be readable on Kindle apps and devices. Soon, you'll also be able to read purchases from comiXology on the Kindle app, giving you more flexibility to decide where and how you read your books.

The team and I can't wait to share more about our new features and exciting changes over the next couple of weeks.

If you have questions I didn't cover in this email, visit our FAQ or join our conversation on Twitter.

Thanks for being a reader of and an advocate for this amazing art form. I'm truly grateful to work with such a passionate team of comic and manga lovers. I look forward to releasing our new app this fall and following up with great new features and improvements at a more rapid pace.

For those of you who haven't enjoyed a comiXology Original title yet, read Kel McDonald and Tyler Crook's The Stone King for free until 9/30/2021 as a token of our appreciation. I love this book!

All the best,

David
Co-founder and CEO of comiXology
GM Digital Comics, Amazon

PS: I wanted to share something pretty amazing: Stephen King's new novel, Billy Summers, has not one but two mentions of @comixology in the story. That's a nice feeling…

——————————————————————————————-[/list]

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 10:24:07 PM »

I'm...rather surprised this didn't happen sooner, tbh.

I just wonder if the same deals will be available 2-6 months past publishing dates.

If not...I"m going to be buying a bunch of comics!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 03:00:11 AM »

I agree.  I was actually surprised too they didn’t integrate right away.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 09:19:34 PM »

Here’s a link to what the new Amazon centric site is going to look like.  ComiXology.com is going to redirect to here when they upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/comics-store/home/?ref_=cmx_eml_ceo_090121

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 02:08:55 PM »

Anyone else deeply concerned about the upcoming change here?  They haven’t been adding preorder comics to the site since the announcement. While I can understand that on the one hand, on the other that means I can’t add them to the Wish List.  My Wish Lust is down to 19 comics.  That’s unusual because I normally have close to 85 there at any given time because of preorder items and the fact I wait a month for the price drops to purchase.  Will I lose this list when the conversion happens?  What about the things I’m subscribed to?  I went to the example link they sent for the new Amazon site but neither of these features are there yet.  Will they be at all?  Where will all the comics I’ve purchased in the past be? Right now they are in the archive section. Will they be jumbled into some new library with anything I purchase new?  And speaking of that price drop, will that still happen?  Or will all of this be available in the new app?

So many questions but not a peep from the company that I know of for what to expect.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 03:06:21 PM »

I am nervous, but it seems to look simplified. At least to me so I like that.
As for your many concerns, I think you are 100% justified in having them. Going to be a worrisome time that I may not have as badly had Marvel not screwed up their own attempt at renovation.

We shall see.

Oh, speaking of the monthly wait for a reduction in price, what about Comixology Unlimited (or Kindle Unlimited now)? Is that still going to be at the same price point with the same savings or...? I haven't heard or seen yet. Although I haven't actively (or passively even  Grin) looked, either

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 03:19:47 PM »

I haven’t heard either.  I imagine they’ll leave the price alone at first until we get used to the new app then raise them.

Some of my questions are addressed, if not really answered, in this FAQ.  I’m mostly concerned with my wish list since that’s how I keep from missing things and that’s not mentioned anywhere I can find.

https://support.comixology.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407002667415-ComiXology-Updates-Coming-in-the-Fall

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS