HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 10:29:22 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wizard World Sells Its Comic Con Events to Fan Expo  (Read 1530 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 11, 2021, 12:07:16 AM »

Another one bites the dust…

“ An important era in the world of comic book culture and fandom is coming to an end. Wizard World conventions, a staple of the nerd community, are no more. On Tuesday, Wizard World announced that it would no longer be holding conventions across the country, selling its portfolio of events to Fan Expo beginning in 2022. The six remaining Wizard World conventions will be rebranded as Fan Expo events going forward. This includes the legendary Wizard World Chicago event, which is the second oldest comic even in the country, behind only Comic-Con International: San Diego.”

Read the entire article at the link below….

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/wizard-world-conventions-ending-fan-expo-purchase/?fbclid=IwAR0JjC5Z3lmrDWWTblOJPil6DpZWYhBKl5reugcsErv8pHY29HQeoCuvO2I

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »

Not too surprised, considering everything is online these days and last summer's pandemic shut everything down.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 04:46:12 AM »

An end of an era.

I flew down to meet Alex Hamby, Jon Tait (eniac46) and soupy soup (Stefan Halley) for the very first Dallas Wizard World. I did it on whim. I had a great vacation; Jon wondered if he had just invited a Wisconsin serial killer into his home! It was so...neat to meet all those guys of the Realm. Had a cool sit down with Paul Jenkins. I almost called Jim Lee short to his face. Met and talked with a few others. So very cool!

and its' forever over. Oh well, Wizard had it's place, and got high on itself and then failed.

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 12:03:38 PM »

During their prime, they bought the Mid Ohio Comicon. It was okay the first year but then too many changes the second year. I miss the good ole days of walking the convention hall, looking for back issues and getting cool swag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS