HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 02:05:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 3, 2021  (Read 7373 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 03:31:38 PM »

Bummer.  I was hoping for good things.

Looks like this guy liked it even less than you did:

CRIME SYNDICATE #6
An idea with barely enough mileage to create a one-shot then stretched into a six-issue miniseries. From start to finish, Crime Syndicate has been filled with deeply unpleasant, two-dimensional characters inflicting pain in an artstyle that doesn’t excel at portraying violence or gore. It was tedious from the start and now it’s over to seemingly no effect. Let’s just hope the concept of Earth-3 is allowed to lie fallow for a decade because it’s clear now that there’s no value to be found at this moment. -- Chase Magnett

Rating: 1 out of 5

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/new-comic-reviews-dc-marvel-image-august-4-2021/#1

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 04:50:15 PM »

Going to add these since I cruised through my list already.  The ComiXology books I’ll work on this weekend and the MU list is what is supposed to drop on Monday.

ComiXology Unlimited
Moonshine TPB Vol 4:  The Angel’s Share (Collects issues #18-22)
Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB

Marvel Unlimited
HEROES REBORN #1 EVENT DEBUT!
IMMORTAL HULK #46
IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #5
MARAUDERS #20
STRANGE ACADEMY #10
THE UNION #5 SERIES COMPLETE!
X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 06:38:37 PM »

Bummer.  I was hoping for good things.

Looks like this guy liked it even less than you did:

CRIME SYNDICATE #6
An idea with barely enough mileage to create a one-shot then stretched into a six-issue miniseries. From start to finish, Crime Syndicate has been filled with deeply unpleasant, two-dimensional characters inflicting pain in an artstyle that doesn’t excel at portraying violence or gore. It was tedious from the start and now it’s over to seemingly no effect. Let’s just hope the concept of Earth-3 is allowed to lie fallow for a decade because it’s clear now that there’s no value to be found at this moment. -- Chase Magnett

Rating: 1 out of 5

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/new-comic-reviews-dc-marvel-image-august-4-2021/#1

It was a little longer than needed to be and the back up tales didn't add to the main story, but that guy was kinda brutal. Did he review SS too?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »

Yeah, Jeff, was that a senior moment? Ya know, when you discuss Suicide Squad, ask about it, but post a review for Crime Syndicate?
 Cheesy
Also, glad you are digging on Stray Bullets. I did not like it when I dipped my toe in all those years ago, but it is well praised.

And one last thing, make sure you you are aware that the X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing is part THREE of the three part mini.
Avengers: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 is the first
Spider-Man: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 is next
X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 finishes it off

I am not sure you read the rest, but maybe you did. Just thought I would bring it up to be sure.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 08:56:46 PM »

Okay, lost again as far as what I finished with last week and what I have started this week. Still not 100% recovered from my day at the park
 Undecided Roll Eyes

Just throwing up what I know I got through at some point

Legion of Super-Heroes #61 (1989)
Legion of Super-Heroes #62 (1989)
Legion of Super-Heroes #63 (1989)
- Gotta be honest and say I think this was extremely rushed at the end. The last issue of this volume of the Legion and it did not flow well at all. I liked issue #61 the best, but the last two were ... yeah. Also liked how #61 reminds me of the Great Darkness Saga cover work. On to LoSH 5 years later soon, right after I get through the ten issues of Legion '89 ... before it turns into Legion '90  Wink.

Legion '89 #2 (1989)
Legion '89 #3 (1989)
Legion '89 #4 (1989)
- This on the other hand has been an absolute blast. So glad I read that Invasion story w few months back first. Just the three issue mini/event that leads into this ... even though it isn't really needed, per se, but it does introduce all these characters ... maybe it is needed. Yeah, if you want to read this series, reading Invasion! (not all the tie-ins, just the three issues or trade) is worth it. Plus it has some early Mcfarland art in it as well.

Batman: White Knight #1 (2017) - Going to try and finish this, a little twist on the Joker/Batman dynamic as Joker brings up just how dangerous Batman actually is to Gotham ... ya know, when he is trying to catch the Joker. Ha. Decent Black Label imprint. We'll see if I can get through it all  Grin

Hellfire Gala #1 - Yeah, as was stated no really a story here. A fashion show.

MODOK Head Games #4 - Really thankful this turned back around, after that dreadful issue #3 featuring Gwenpool. YUK. Good ending, and look forward to more? Like Jeff I was also surprised this was the end of the mini though.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 09:24:20 PM »

Hellfire Gala #1 - Yeah, as was stated no really a story here. A fashion show.

And bad fashion to boot.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2021, 01:12:04 AM »

Yeah, Jeff, was that a senior moment? Ya know, when you discuss Suicide Squad, ask about it, but post a review for Crime Syndicate?
 Cheesy

Oh man what an idiot I am. My senior moment was actually at the beginning when I quoted Suicide Squad and not Crime Syndicate!  I meant to talk about Crime Syndicate from the start, not Suicide Squad.  What a maroon!

To answer Rodney’s question, yes they did review Suicide Squad and it fared much better.

SUICIDE SQUAD #6
The Suicide Squad is at its strongest when its villainous lineup shows enough heart and relatability to win you over to their side despite their questionable missions and methods. Robbie Thompson has struck that challenging balance thus far, and while this isn’t the strongest issue of the series to this point, it’s still plenty entertaining. The camaraderie building amongst this oddball group shines at several points, especially in regards to Superboy, whom some of the Squad seem to actually be inclined to help how he got into this situation. Meanwhile, the art team of Eduardo Pansica, Julio Ferreira, Dexter Soy, and Alex Sinclair know how to create a thrilling battle sequence, especially between two Supermen, though I will say that no one draws a Superboy suit like Dexter Soy. It rocks. This Squad continues to be compelling and fun to watch, and things should only get crazier from here. -- Matthew Aguilar

Rating: 3 out of 5

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 01:13:54 AM »

And one last thing, make sure you you are aware that the X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing is part THREE of the three part mini.
Avengers: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 is the first
Spider-Man: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 is next
X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 finishes it off

I am not sure you read the rest, but maybe you did. Just thought I would bring it up to be sure.

Oh that’s right.  I had skipped this on purpose because of that and totally forgot.  I’ll drop that off my list unless your recommending the whole thing.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2021, 08:54:02 AM »

And bad fashion to boot.

Grin
INDEED.

Although I did like both Colossus's, highlighting a Russian regal look for the Russian "Farm-boy" as well as Havok's for bringing in the white swoops over his shoulder similar to those that use to adorn his headdress. And of course Warlock's, which only had the addition of a bowtie.
 Grin
And I suppose there may have been another one or two more that didn't hit me as awful, but yeah, mostly not good at all.  

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2021, 08:55:07 AM »

Re: X-Men Curse of the Man-Thing

Oh that’s right.  I had skipped this on purpose because of that and totally forgot.  I’ll drop that off my list unless your recommending the whole thing.

I have only read the first one, the Avengers one, but I like how it started. The second Spider-Man one just hit MU this past Monday (if I'm not mistaken) and I haven't had a chance to read that issue yet, so I'm not sure how it keeps up.
The first issue was ... fine. Nothing bad but nothing to write home about that I can remember. I do think it read a tad more "Swamp Thing", but ya know, using a swamp as a backdrop would tend to remind you of any other swamp based creature I suppose.  Grin
Only thing I am hoping for is more of a dive into the Nexus stuff with Mannie. Him being the protector of all realties and all.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2021, 09:15:02 PM »

Okay couple quick shots -

One, I have been wanting to see some old Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore episodes and as Hulu is the streaming service that has them, I signed up again. While there however, I remembered that they also have the MODOK show that they made recently so I thought I would give it a try. After hitting play I found two things to be relatively true:
1 - It is a semi-continuation of the recent Modok mini. I found that pretty cool
2 - It is not very good. I found that to be not as cool
 Undecided

Also while it was raining, the dog and I sat out in the garage with the door open for the sights and sounds and I decided to read as much as I could so I got a couple more issues in from the MU list from this past week.

The Marvels #1 - Hmmm this may take a minute or two to sink in but I think I liked it. It's going to be all over the place, story wise, lots of different characters and lots of different times, so it may be a little heavy for me, but I think I like it.
I also think I know who the guy at the end COULD be ... Maybe (which means I am waaaay off)
 Cheesy

Beta Ray Bill #2 - Good issue. Nothing more to say other than I liked the last panel "reveal" and the set-up as to where Bill is heading. I mean, literally, not emotionally ... but that too.
 Cheesy

Fantastic Four #31 - Only reason I read this is Jeff liked it. Okay, and I've been missing my Four again. With my re-reading of the Hickman stuff slowed, as I have been heavy into Legion recently, and as Jeff seemed to enjoy this issue, I decided to jump in and see what's going on. I liked it. It truly felt like a good ... no ... great F.F issue. Lots of pseudo-comic-science and lots of "family feels". Yeah, Slott did good here. Which means I will read the next issue, enjoy it, fall in love with the title again only to have Slott slice through my heart with the third issue I read
 Cheesy

Legion of Super-Heroes #61 (1989)
Legion of Super-Heroes #62 (1989)
Legion of Super-Heroes #63 (1989)

Legion '89 #2 (1989)
Legion '89 #3 (1989)
Legion '89 #4 (1989)

Batman: White Knight #1 (2017)

Hellfire Gala #1
MODOK Head Games #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2021, 03:28:13 AM »

Went ahead and added some more MU issues based on Perry’s comments.

ComiXology Unlimited
Moonshine TPB Vol 4:  The Angel’s Share (Collects issues #18-22)
Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB

Marvel Unlimited
HEROES REBORN #1 EVENT DEBUT!
IMMORTAL HULK #46
IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #5
MARAUDERS #20
STRANGE ACADEMY #10
THE UNION #5 SERIES COMPLETE!
ADD: The Marvels #1
ADD: Avengers: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1
ADD: Amazing Spider-Man: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

——————————————————————————————

Moonshine TPB Vol 4:  The Angel’s Share (Collects issues #18-22) - back to the mob world and a story about a serial killer.  Story was starting to get stale but this setup has promise for more action coming.

Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB - Another Brubaker & Phillips hit.  This is the second book in the Reckless series and I might just like it more than the first.  A drop into the seedy underbelly of 1970’s B Movie production which leave you with a bit of the creeps.  Looking forward to the third book coming in October.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:34:17 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »

Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB - Another Brubaker & Phillips hit.  

Do I know about this? What is this? Am I just learning of this?

Have I read this?

WHY DON'T I KNOW!?!?!

(Sounds familiar but damn I can't picture it. Must go look)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »

Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB - Another Brubaker & Phillips hit.  

Do I know about this? What is this? Am I just learning of this?

Have I read this?

WHY DON'T I KNOW!?!?!

(Sounds familiar but damn I can't picture it. Must go look)

I read the first one back on June 16.  Maybe you remember it from my Weekly Reader list?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2021, 02:45:32 PM »

I just set up a thread for Reckless.  Check it out for the solicits of all three volumes!

https://www.herorealm.com/hrboards/index.php?topic=8952.0

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS