HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:58:33 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: At the movies?  (Read 3516 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: June 09, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »

Just curious, since the pandemic restrictions are lessening, have you started going back to the cinemas? Are you now strictly home viewers?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 03:23:52 PM »

I’ve been going to the theater since Oct 3, 2020 when New Mutants came out.  Since then we’ve seen Tenet, the Croods New Age, Wonder Woman 1984, Monster Hunter, Godzilla vs Kong, and Tom & Jerry; all in the theater.  I know we could have watched all of them at home but we wanted the big screen experience.  Plus with the social distance rules it was really nice having all that extra space around us.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 02:37:40 PM »

I won't go into a theater unless I have no other option. And usually that means going to see Horror or Comic based movies (Okay, by "comic based" I mean Marvel movies  Grin)

One thing coming out of Covid that I AM thankful for is that I was able to see the dreadful, god-awful, piece of trash that was Wonder Woman 1984 for free*, all while my butt sat comfortably on my couch. Allowing me to pause and rewind when I missed a piece of the horrible dialog ... or when I had to pee, wanted a snack or even when I just needed a break from what I was seeing in that movie.

The question I will soon have to face is whether I will pay Disney the required $30 they are asking of me, for the ability to stay at home and watch the Black Widow movie in comfort and with access to all amenities that said home provides or will I go back to the theaters and pay the $5 (x2 if the wife goes) matinee rate (after the first week-end's opening) plus another $20 for popcorn and a drink for that "crowd experience" of laughing over dialog or other damn people based distractions?
I know which way I am leaning.
 Grin
Although in all fairness the theater we go to has always had a total of 1 to 3 people in the room for every movie the wife and I have seen there so crowd noise has never been an issue there, and that was before Covid hit.
 Smiley

*My cable company provides HBOMax for free for those of us that had a subscription to HBO, but not really for 'free' as I do pay $5 a month for HBO so ....
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 03:30:23 PM »

Last movie I saw in the theater was either The Gentleman or Underwater. About Jan or Feb 2020.

It never seems I have time to start a movie at home.

I mean, I could, but it always seems to get interrupted or I have something that needs to be done during it. I don't like watching new films that way. I want to put in my full attention, if possible.

However, I'm starting to get the itch to go to the theater again. (Especially since I have a bunch of gift cards/free passes just sitting here.)

I'm a big Shang Chi and Spider-Man guy, so I'd like to be in the theater for those.

I can wait for Black Widow and Venom 2 On Demand.

The Eternals and Suicide Squad 2 are basic cable waits.

And if I never see The Eternals, I think I'll be okay. They always felt like a watered down New Gods or a The Inhumans with a re-write.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »

And if I never see The Eternals, I think I'll be okay. They always felt like a watered down New Gods or a The Inhumans with a re-write.

But ... but ...  Smiley

Nah, I get ya, it is an elder thing more than not. Or at least for me. But then again I was never a huge ultra uber fan to begin with. I will say however that Bunn is absolutely killing their current run

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »

I forgot to mention Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins.

That's probably a theater watch.

But ... but ...  Smiley

Nah, I get ya, it is an elder thing more than not. Or at least for me. But then again I was never a huge ultra uber fan to begin with. I will say however that Bunn is absolutely killing their current run

Haven't read the Bunn stuff, I may check that out one day. Also, give the older stuff another look.

I like the idea of the Deviants and the whole origin with the Celestials, but the Eternals themselves didn't do it for me.

When they showed up on different teams (ex. The Avengers and Heroes For Hire) they never fit and were uninteresting to me.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 09:08:29 PM »

I like the idea of the Deviants and the whole origin with the Celestials, but the Eternals themselves didn't do it for me.

When they showed up on different teams (ex. The Avengers and Heroes For Hire) they never fit and were uninteresting to me.

Understand and you're not alone. I still want to go back and read the Avengers run where Black Knight and Sersi were on the team (I think now that I can mentally accept other characters ... well, other than the heavy hitters ... being on the Avengers roster, I should at least try it, Druid and all  Grin), but I think with the Eternals you need that Cosmic feel or general interstellar plotting to really make them shine. I mean, these are the beings that the Gods were mistaken for after all  Grin

As for the past incarnations, the costume design certainly didn't help their cause, at all, either. Man, Kirby designed some lame stuff there towards the end.
 Undecided

That said, I made an error in the previous posts ... Bunn isn't in charge of the new stuff, no, it is the great Kieron Gillen that has the reigns now. How great is Kieron Gillen? So great that I totally forgot and thought it was Cullen Bunn on this newest title, that's how great ... but let's no mention that
 Cheesy Cheesy
But honestly, I think/feel/hope Gillen will take this team to the top. The potential (after a mere 4 issues) is certainly there so ... crossing my fingers.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 10:33:37 PM »

I went to theaters to see WW 84. Before that, there wasn't any movies to watch. Since then..haven't been anything I and the missus could get away to watch.

We WILL be going to Black Widow in 2 weeks here, though!

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 07:19:16 PM »

My first theater outing will be Black Widow.  Got to get my Scarlett fix on the big screen.

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 01:10:05 AM »

I haven't been to the theater since they shut down.  watched bunch of streaming movies but do kinda miss it. 

I am currently on vacation in Hawaii so movies are the last thing on my mind tho hopefully I watch BlackWidow on the flight home next week.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 07:57:18 PM »

The last movie I saw in an actual theater was Moana (don't judge). I saw both Black Widow and Luca from the comfort of my couch. Snack and beverages (soda and alcohol) are MUCH cheaper at home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS