HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:42:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, August 3, 2021  (Read 7289 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Moonshine TPB Vol 4:  The Angel’s Share (Collects issues #18-22)
Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB

Marvel Unlimited
HEROES REBORN #1 EVENT DEBUT!
IMMORTAL HULK #46
IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #5
MARAUDERS #20
STRANGE ACADEMY #10
THE UNION #5 SERIES COMPLETE!
The Marvels #1
Avengers: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1
Amazing Spider-Man: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

——————————————————————————————

The Marvels #1 - I’m glad I went back and added this.  The kickoff for this story was well paced out and hooked me early on.  I like the look of the team Cap has assembled and I’m always a sucker for a story that spans multiple time eras.

Avengers: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 - We’ll this started off really good. Loved see the Horticulture women from the X-Men world and their niece is going to be a fun baddie.  Once her plot hatched though, the story got bogged down for me.  It still has promise so I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the next chapter.

Amazing Spider-Man: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 -Meh.  Bummer, what started out really good has turned into an average cross over story.  Hopefully the final chapter coming to MU tomorrow will bring it back to the good start it had. 
Magik showing up at the end gives me hope.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »

I read

Cable 7-10; dangit, I wasn't supposed to like Kid Cable! But I kinda do. But that's also because I know Old Man Cable will come back!

X-factor 5-8: This title does not grab me. I'm just not...into it. Art wise, all look the same, I can't really distinguish between characters, and I'm just not gonna follow up on it. But that's okay

Heman & Masters of the Universe!: stuff from Keith Giffen back in the day (4 years ago) 5-14; big changes in this world!

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2021, 01:04:37 PM »

Spent the weekend catching up on Batman (main title) and Detective. Both were really good.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2021, 10:57:18 PM »

Spent the weekend catching up on Batman (main title) and Detective. Both were really good.

What does everyone think of Tynion quitting Batman/DC Comics?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2021, 02:51:18 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Moonshine TPB Vol 4:  The Angel’s Share (Collects issues #18-22)
Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book by Brubaker & Phillips TPB

Marvel Unlimited
HEROES REBORN #1 EVENT DEBUT!
IMMORTAL HULK #46
IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #5
MARAUDERS #20
STRANGE ACADEMY #10
THE UNION #5 SERIES COMPLETE!

The Marvels #1
Avengers: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1
Amazing Spider-Man: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1

——————————————————————————————

HEROES REBORN #1 - I hate to say this because this story wasn’t bad but I’m finding it hard to have any real interest in this event.  And I’m usually a fan of the Squadron Supreme.  Is this one of those ideas that really just has outworn it’s welcome?  I’m thinking of skipping the rest of this.

IMMORTAL HULK #46 - Awesome issue!  Big Hulk is back and he’s taking no prisoners.  Bombastic battles and fantastic fights! This was a fun story to read.

IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #5 - At this point I’m really just reading this to get to the end.  I’ve become bored with the story and this issue, sadly, didn’t reawaken my interest.

MARAUDERS #20 - a filler issue keeping things calm before next issues Hellfire Gala crossover.  Nothing must have here.  Just a simple goodbye dinner among friends as they tell stories of Storm.

STRANGE ACADEMY #10 This must be the month for interludes.  A quick one shot with a secret revealed that will likely mean something later.  I still like this series.  It’s nice having a school that isn’t affiliated with mutants for a change.

THE UNION #5 - That ended abruptly. Or at least it felt rushed.  I could go for another arc with these characters but this was the end of this mini.  An ok mini series that’s probably best read collected.

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 - And that’s the end of the story.  This was the best of the three issues.  Glad it ended better than the squishy middle of the story.  I’ve always liked Man Thing better than Swamp Thing.  I wouldn’t mind seeing more of him.  Maybe written by Al Ewing?  That could be creepy!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »

I just set up a thread for Reckless.  

Ahhhh yeah, I remember this now. How'd I forget this?

Yeah, must add this to my list

Also, looking ahead, I was going to copy/paste a lot of quotes that I want to reply to, but I'm taking the easier way out and just doing it per post.

Just my way of saying sorry for the next row of Perry Posts
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »

Avengers: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 - We’ll this started off really good. Loved see the Horticulture women from the X-Men world and their niece is going to be a fun baddie.  Once her plot hatched though, the story got bogged down for me. 

"Bogged down"? Ha, get it? Nice !!!

Went back and glanced at a few pages (having already read it) and I still think itreads a little too much like a Swamp Thing issue to me.

Amazing Spider-Man: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 -Meh.  Bummer, what started out really good has turned into an average cross over story.  Hopefully the final chapter coming to MU tomorrow will bring it back to the good start it had. 
Magik showing up at the end gives me hope.

Although I liked the last page reveal, I have no interest in finding out how this ends. The first issue had me enough to give this one a try and while only one issue remains, I have no desire to read it.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »

Cable 7-10; dangit, I wasn't supposed to like Kid Cable! But I kinda do. But that's also because I know Old Man Cable will come back!

Ha, yeah, I've never been a Cable fan, young or old, but I have enjoyed this series. So much in-fact that I think the last two issue may entice to me to be more willing to take in some Cable.

Wait ... what?
 Cheesy

X-factor 5-8: This title does not grab me. I'm just not...into it. Art wise, all look the same, I can't really distinguish between characters, and I'm just not gonna follow up on it.

I agree with you on half of that ... the title didn't grab me at all, even though I like the idea (purpose) of the book, the writing and characters just didn't hit for me. We are totally simpatico there.
Not liking Baldeon's art is where you and I go separate ways though
 Cheesy  Wink
But yeah, I can see your point of view, but I find his stuff so very playful, with a great animated vibe, that it doesn't bother me as much

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2021, 11:56:50 AM »

Just curious, and maybe you have answered this prior and if so ... my apologies.

I know you are not a fan of reading comics digitally and I get that, but have you tried either MU or DCI's free trials? Just to get a little try and see if reading it in that style more (and freely) would help get you more accustomed to it?

I only ask as you seem to enjoy comics so damn much and ... well ... there are SOOOO many damn issues up on both of those platforms that I think you would love it ... if you could get use to it.

I understand if that isn't a possibility though. Some people just hate the format and no matter how much they try it will never take. I get that may be you, and that's fine. I just would love to see you get all those comics in your hands.
Especially if you have a tablet. If you just have a phone then ... no ... forget everything I said. Don't do it on your phone.
Grin

EDIT - And hey, even if you don't want to do a "free trial" thing yet, Marvel does have a select set of comics you can read for free, no sign-up required, nothing needed, if you want to try again. DCI Might have one as well, I just haven't come across it yet. But for the MU free selection there is only about 12 to 15 comics that are worth the effort, but free is free.
Give it a shot HERE? Maybe? If you want to?

Not trying to push you, please don't get me wrong, I just think that anyone that enjoys comics like you do would have a blast with that many comics at hand to read. Especially for the price comics are nowadays ...If you only read 3 comics a month on either MU or DCI you would come out ahead.

Okay, I'm done now, hahaha, sorry if I pushed too much
 Smiley
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:06:30 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »

What does everyone think of Tynion quitting Batman/DC Comics?

Good for him. I just hope it works.

But hey ... maybe this will push Image to get an Unlimited platform started? I know the business side of them doing such a thing would be nothing but a headache, trying to work out each contract per person would be a major pain in the ass, but maybe it is possible?

Either way, I wish him, and the others that decide to go this route, nothing but the best. Get the money!  Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2021, 12:22:48 PM »

HEROES REBORN #1

Well I know this seems odd, but I am happy to know that I don't have to waste my time on this. I wanted to read it just for the Squadron but I was dreading having to see Ed Mcguinness' art. I use to be okay with it, but I can no longer take it. Between Aaron's lackluster writing and his art style I couldn't read Avengers for more than a page or two. Was not looking forward to looking forward for this

IMMORTAL HULK #46 - Awesome issue! 

Damn it ! Yeah, I'm doing it. I getting the next three issue now so as soon as issue #50 drops I can read it. It's been hell waiting to read this title.
Issues 43-46 added to downloads and 47-49 will be added today!!
(Or tomorrow)
 Cheesy

IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #5 - At this point I’m really just reading this to get to the end.  I’ve become bored with the story and this issue, sadly, didn’t reawaken my interest.

Well crap. Sorry to hear that. Was hoping this would be good. I have missed my Iron Fist. Watching that Netflix crap didn't help

MARAUDERS #20 - a filler issue keeping things calm before next issues Hellfire Gala crossover.  Nothing must have here.  Just a simple goodbye dinner among friends as they tell stories of Storm.

Ya know ... I enjoyed this. Sure, like you said, filler stuff, but I think we both had a decent time reading it  Smiley For me, w waiting for X-Men #1 to get here has been brutal, so this was a nice drop in for me.

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 - And that’s the end of the story.  This was the best of the three issues

Well crap ... I just said I was out. hahaha. I may just ask you about it instead of reading it.
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2021, 12:47:59 PM »

Last one for now, I swear
 Cheesy

Oh, forgot to ask you, Jeff, do you think that guy at the end of Marvels #1 was a new character or do you think it could be ... oh if this is true ... I doubt it, but it would be fun if it was
Impossible Man?
I have no idea why that possibility(?) hit me and of course I doubt it is, but Ha, that would be cool. For me at least, maybe not the rest of the comic reading community
 Cheesy

Marauders #20 - As I stated above, I enjoyed this relaxing issue. Was certainly Storm heavy, which, eh, yeah, okay, but still fun  Grin

Amazing Spider-Man: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 - Again, the only thing I found half-way interesting ... well ... intriguing was the last page. Wanted to like this as I think the Man-Thing and Nexus stuff can really be used to great affect. Not much of that here. Done.

Defenders #26 (1975)
Defenders #27 (1975)
- Other than the absolute horrible inking job by Coletta *shiver* these two issues have been fun reading, highlighting the original Guardians of the Galaxy. Issue 27 introduces us to a new character, a new Gaurdian, one that will become Starhawk. I'm glad I'm reading these now as I never fully understood Starhawk that well. Hoping the next issue will feature him and tell me about him more clearly.
Oh, and I forgot about how the Badoon women look. Ha. Didn't know it was them on the cover of #27

Legion of Super-Heroes #61 (1989)
Legion of Super-Heroes #62 (1989)
Legion of Super-Heroes #63 (1989)

Legion '89 #2 (1989)
Legion '89 #3 (1989)
Legion '89 #4 (1989)

Batman: White Knight #1 (2017)

Hellfire Gala #1
MODOK Head Games #4
The Marvels #1
Beta Ray Bill #2
Fantastic Four #31

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2021, 02:09:52 PM »

To be fair, it's been awhile since I tried digital comics. I am not opposed to it, just old school. I like the feel of a book (not just comics) in my hands. That and I am not exactly tech savvy. I had to have more daughter show me how to zoom last year.

I did try the link and there are a few comics there that I may try out.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2021, 02:44:09 PM »

Ya know ... I enjoyed this. Sure, like you said, filler stuff, but I think we both had a decent time reading it  Smiley For me, w waiting for X-Men #1 to get here has been brutal, so this was a nice drop in for me.

Oh yes.  I enjoyed the read, definitely. I just meant you didn’t have to read it for any over reaching storyline.  It was a nice break from the constant event driven stories.

X-MEN: CURSE OF THE MAN-THING #1 - And that’s the end of the story.  This was the best of the three issues

Well crap ... I just said I was out. hahaha. I may just ask you about it instead of reading it.
 Grin

It was the best because it actually had Man Thing in it as an active participant and he took on the villains himself.  They may be retconning his origin a bit but I’m not sure as I don’t remember that much about his history.  But it does have that Swamp Thing feel like you said.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »

To be fair, it's been awhile since I tried digital comics. I am not opposed to it, just old school. I like the feel of a book (not just comics) in my hands. That and I am not exactly tech savvy. I had to have more daughter show me how to zoom last year.

I did try the link and there are a few comics there that I may try out.

Sweet. Hope it gets easier
(and I am not just non-tech savvy, I am tech ignorant)

But with the preference I get ya. I definitely prefer the "feel" of true comics and books, but I just can't deal with the storage thing any longer nor can I deal with trying to care for my comics. Now with digital I can "turn the page" as hard as I want and if I roll over on them in bed my tablet doesn't wrinkle. It may crack however.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS