HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:07:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 14, 2021  (Read 4088 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 14, 2021, 06:41:13 PM »

All caught up on MU.  Time to get caught up on DCUI!

ComiXology Unlimited
Black Hammer: Visions #6
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766
The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12
Green Lantern 80th Anniversary 100-Page #1
Green Lantern Season Two #5
Green Lantern Season Two #6
Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28
Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

———————————————————————————

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 02:54:15 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766
The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12
Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28
Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

Black Hammer: Visions #6 - Ha ha ha!  I liked this issue with Cthu Lou.  Funny tale about a henpecked out of work plumber who needs to save the world.

Radiant Black #5 - This has gotten really interesting with the previous issue and this one.  I didn’t expect the big change and the scope gets bigger with this issue.

Seven Secrets #10 - This comic is back on track.  Plenty of intrigue and I’m getting into the mystery of it all.

Stillwater #8 - Man I’m ready for some comeuppance.  The bad guys are winning an awful lot.  Good trip into the sherif’s past this issue.

Time Before Time #2 - Oh yeah - more time travel fun.  Things have gotten messed up for our time traveling hero and the FBI agent that messed it up.  Lots of interesting characters in this story and this issue is ramping up the drama.

Rorschach #10 - Finally the pieces are all falling together and explanations are being revealed.  This issues starts linking it all.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 10:01:18 AM »

Detective Comics #1039
Excalibur #22
Infinite Frontier #2
Mister Miracle #2
Power Rangers Unlimited #1

Back issue bins:
DC Special: Cyborg #3
Hawk & Dove (1989) #1
Hawk & Dove (2011) #1-3
Tempest (1996 mini) #2, 4
Terror Titans (2008 mini) # 1, 2
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 03:00:07 AM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766

The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12
Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28
Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

Flash #761 & 762 - This was the end of Joshua Williamson’s run on Flash.  Ending with an epic battle with Reverse Flash and including speedsters from all time was a great way to go out.  Hoping the new creative team can maintain the quality starting in #763.

Flash #763-766 - Well.........the new team isn’t the worst.  It could be just hard to transition to new team when your used to the old one.  But man, Barry does not sound like he’s supposed to.  And Iris really doesn’t seem like herself.  The Dr Alchemy arc isn’t terrible but I can’t say I enjoyed it either.  But this team seems to have just been here for this story.  I can skip issue 767 since it is part of Endless Winter which I already have read.  Then the next issue gets another new creative team and costars Wally West.  So I’ll dive back in after I read Death Metal and see what they do with Wally.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:42:24 PM »

Flash #763-766  [...]  So I’ll dive back in after I read Death Metal and see what they do with Wally.

You can skip the next issue (or read it with all the other Endless Winter tie-ins) but you do want to make sure you try #768, the current creative team starts there and ... well, yeah heavy into Wally  Wink (I've been getting updates at the LCS)
 Cheesy

Edit - May as well throw what I have been reading up (better than throwing up what I have been reading) Grin

Fantastic Four #575 (2010)
Fantastic Four #576
Fantastic Four #577
Fantastic Four #578
Fantastic Four #579
- And my re-read of Hickman's FF continues! Mostly just build-up to the main stories, but done so well it doesn't feel like it.

Defenders #22 (1975)
Defenders #23 (1975)
- The Defenders battle The Sons of the Serpent, a radical, racist group intent on hurting the poor and/or anyone that has a skin color other than white! Wow, how dated is THIS story? Cheesy All joking aside, this is a pretty brutal story, one that I am surprised I don't remember. People being set on fire and others being crushed to death make this book more adult than I remember it being and one I think I should have remembered. Ah, the old brain is just mush now however  Cheesy
I will also add a couple interesting "inking" notes I have with these two. I do love the cover art by Gil Kane on both of these, but with Joe Sinnott (#22) and Klaus Janson (#23) inking, it doesn't look like the usual Kane, and that is cool. I like the look here. On both. Maybe the Janson work a little more, actually. Its more ..."tight"(?) looking. And oh yeah, number two ... I have heard it before on a couple classic comics podcasts that Vince Colletta killed a lot of Kirby's pencils. People seem to hate him inking the King. Well I kind of understand having witnessed his stuff on issue #23 (the inking by Colletta is ... not to my liking), but man ...  I have to say that Mike Episito's inks on issue #22 were even worse for me. He kills Sal's pencils. Drowns them out so badly. No finesse. 
Last thing I'll say ... this was a good read. I think this is where the book gets rolling!!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 01:40:19 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766

The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12

Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28
Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

The Batman’s Grave #8-12 - Bit of an anticlimactic ending.  Story overall was interesting and a fun read but the villain turned out to be a bit of a bore.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 06:54:42 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766

The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12

Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28
Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

Green Lantern 80th Anniversary 100-Page #1 - Good anthology.  Particularly liked the future story with the Earth Green Lanterns sitting around at a bar reminiscing of the old days.  Like all anthologies, some good some bad.  Overall though, I enjoyed the read.

Green Lantern Season Two #5-6 - The weirdness is starting to wear on me.  Plus the art isn’t to my liking.  It’s like a Jack Kirby want-a-be but not as good.  But since it’s Morrison’s last DC work I’ll keep going.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »

Well once again I fall short of my goal and therefor not much to talk about. I wanted to get a lot more reading in yesterday, but my boy Dave came over for our online fantasy football draft (a draft I had no picks in this year Undecided) and so many adult beverages were served and my reading was pushed aside. I only have a couple from the night prior ...

Defenders #24 (1975)
Defenders #25 (1975)
- Finishing up with the Sons of the Serpent arc with a few guest stars. We had help from Power-Man, Son of Satan, Yellow Jacket and Daredevil. All were helpful in their own way, except for DD. I swear, it seems if you are not reading Daredevil in his own title the writers seem to make him a lot less useful, bordering on straight out useless
 Cheesy
Oh, and spoilers ...
we find out whose been behind the Sons of the Serpent's attacks and funding, and its none other than Nighthawk/Kyle Richmon's (Rich-Man) very own financial advisor; Jean Claude Pennyworth. Ha, Pennyworth? Like Alfred? And oh, wait again ... his name, the initials come out like J. C. Pennys? (that's kind of funny for us older peeps Cheesy). And to top it off, this Serpent Supreme is a black guy. So he was using Nightwings own money to fund the racist gang against his own people! He tells Kyle, after being caught, something along the lines of 'Why is that so strange that a black man can't hate black people, do you like every white man because you are white?'
And Kyle answers with 'Well, no, but I'm not out trying to wipe them all out either'
 Cheesy
Still, I have to say (even though this villain wasn't the best) that I'm really enjoying reading this title since we hit issue #22. Seems like the wheels are starting to roll now.
And next we get the original Guardians of the Galaxy (but I have to read Giant-Size #5 first it seems)  Grin

---- Daredevil swinging in to help!! ----                   ---- And the result? ... hahaha ----

Fantastic Four #575 (2010)
Fantastic Four #576
Fantastic Four #577
Fantastic Four #578
Fantastic Four #579

Defenders #22 (1975)
Defenders #23 (1975)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766

The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12

Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28

Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

Justice League Dark #25-28 - the end of the Upside Down Man story and essentially the end of the series.  I don’t see any other issues after #29 (the Endless Winter tie-in). Fun romp and while I would like more from this team, I was getting tired of the never ending story arc.  Probably time for a new creative team or a series reboot.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »

ComiXology Unlimited
Radiant Black #5
Seven Secrets #10
Stillwater #8
Time Before Time #2
Rorschach #10

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #761
Flash #762
Flash #763
Flash #764
Flash #765
Flash #766

The Batman’s Grave #8
The Batman’s Grave #9
The Batman’s Grave #10
The Batman’s Grave #11
The Batman’s Grave #12

Justice League Dark #25
Justice League Dark #26
Justice League Dark #27
Justice League Dark #28

Nightwing #76
Nightwing #77

Nightwing #76-77 - Decent end for Dan Juergen’s run.  Looking forward to the start of Tom King’s next issue.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 02:41:03 PM »

Big drop for MU today.  Adding these to try and catch up on DC mainly.  It’s ambitious for two days but I could be up for it.

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #103
Batman #104
Batman #105
Batman Annual #5
Punchline #1
Batman/Catwoman #1
The Green Lantern Season Two #7
The Green Lantern Season Two #8
The Green Lantern Season Two #9
The Green Lantern Season Two #10

Marvel Unlimited
DAREDEVIL #29
FANTASTIC FOUR #30
IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #4
IRON MAN #8
MAESTRO: WAR AND PAX #4
THOR #14
WOLVERINE #11

---------------------------------------------

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »

Big drop for MU today.  Adding these to try and catch up on DC mainly.  It’s ambitious for two days but I could be up for it.

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #103
Batman #104
Batman #105
Batman/Catwoman #1

Those are really good issues! Bat/Cat is a great series so far.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 02:26:15 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #103
Batman #104
Batman #105
Batman Annual #5
Punchline #1
Batman/Catwoman #1

Marvel Unlimited
DAREDEVIL #29
FANTASTIC FOUR #30
IRON MAN #8
THOR #14
WOLVERINE #11

Batman #103-105 - Rodney was right.  Very good story.  Love the use of Harley and Clown Hunter in this series. I hope the quality continues when we come back after Future State.

Batman Annual #5 - The origin of Clown Hunter is finally seen.  You can’t help but feel bad for the boy.  Despite my dislike for the art, the story more than made up for it. 

Punchline #1 - not bad, not great.  Really just a setup issue for whatever is planned for Punchline in the future.

Batman/Catwoman #1 - Well I liked this but I am more than a little confused.  Not surprising at the start of a Tom King book.  I’m definitely intrigued and need to read more of this.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 06:47:59 PM »

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #103
Batman #104
Batman #105
Batman Annual #5
Punchline #1
Batman/Catwoman #1

Marvel Unlimited
DAREDEVIL #29
FANTASTIC FOUR #30
IRON MAN #8
THOR #14
WOLVERINE #11

The Green Lantern Season Two #7-10 - Morrison is so weird and confusing yet somehow his stories make some kind of sense in the end?  Especially confusing with a multiverse ultrawar.  Only two more issues to go.  I think I’ve enjoyed this but I do need a break.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 01:22:26 AM »

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #103
Batman #104
Batman #105
Batman Annual #5
Punchline #1
Batman/Catwoman #1

Marvel Unlimited
DAREDEVIL #29
FANTASTIC FOUR #30
IRON MAN #8
THOR #14
WOLVERINE #11

DAREDEVIL #29 - Still a solid read.  I like the Electra Daredevil and her arc is good.  Matt’s struggles in prison, though expected, are fun to read.  The Mike & Butch mafia stuff, good.  The Wilson Fisk stuff, good also.  Wish I could read more right now!

FANTASTIC FOUR #30 - King in Black tie-in, yuck. Glad it’s over though I hate that it just said “Read King in Black #5 for the ending.” Then jumped to days later.  Hopefully the new arc will be good or I’ll be out on this book again.

IRON FIST: HEART OF THE DRAGON #4 - I hope next issue is the last as I’m not really enjoying this title.  It’s too haphazard.  Makes me sad because I like these characters.

IRON MAN #8 - Ah ha! A Hellcat focused issue. I love it.  I like the Patsy Walker stories that include characters from her past.  Would love to see more of this.

MAESTRO: WAR AND PAX #4 - definitely past time for that resolution.  Now for the battle we’ve all been hoping for! Doom!

THOR #14 - Wow.  Harsh.  Should I feel sorry for
Donald Blake?  Or did he deserve it?

WOLVERINE #11 - I’m not a fan of vampire stories (Redneck being the exception) but this isn’t bad.  I like the Omega Red angle and whomever this Louise person is.  I just hope it doesn’t drag on much longer.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS