HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:29:15 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 30, 2021  (Read 3254 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 30, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »

Got some actual paper comics from a good friend this week!  Going to get all caught up on Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman as well as jumping into Jupiter’s Legacy Requiem.  Looking like a great week for comic reading!

Floppies!
Jupiter’s Legacy: Requiem #1
Captain Marvel #28
Spider-Woman #11
Spider-Woman #12

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #62
Cable #9  
Maestro: War And Pax #3  
Taskmaster #5

ComiXology Unlimited
DC The New Frontier Vol 2 TPB
Family Tree #12 - series finale!
Crossover #3
Crossover #4
Crossover #5
Crossover #6
Deep Beyond #3
Deep Beyond #4
Deep Beyond #5
Nocterra #3
Nocterra #4
Post Americana #3
Post Americana #4
Post Americana #5
Radiant Black #3
Radiant Black #4

DC Universe Infinite
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #1
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #2
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #3
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #4
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #5
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #6
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #7
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #8
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #9
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #10
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #11
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #12
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #13
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #14

---------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:38:54 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 02:14:24 AM »

Floppies!
Captain Marvel #28
Spider-Woman #11
Spider-Woman #12

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #62
Cable #9  
Taskmaster #5

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #3
Crossover #4
Crossover #5
Crossover #6

Deep Beyond #3
Deep Beyond #4
Deep Beyond #5
Nocterra #3
Nocterra #4
Post Americana #3
Post Americana #4
Post Americana #5
Radiant Black #3
Radiant Black #4

DC Universe Infinite

DC The New Frontier Vol 2 TPB - Fun take on the 1950’s world of DC Comics.  Liked seeing all the characters from that era coming together in a different story which goes all the way back to Rick Flagg and the island he is stranded on from the first issue.  Tied everything together nicely. Thumbs up.

Family Tree #12 - The end of the series.  Sadly not one of Lemire’s best.  I’m not sure where it went awry but by the end I didn’t really care about the characters.  Maybe it reads better collected.

Crossover #3-6 - Good wrap to the first arc which only brings us to bigger questions.  Loved seeing Hit Girl, Colonel Weird, and others in the mix.  And some interesting stuff from God Country.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »

Small week for me:

Infinite Frontier Secret Files #1
Teen Titans Academy Yearbook 2021
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 03:21:02 AM »

Floppies!
Captain Marvel #28
Spider-Woman #11
Spider-Woman #12

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #62
Cable #9  
Taskmaster #5

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #3
Crossover #4
Crossover #5
Crossover #6

Deep Beyond #3
Deep Beyond #4
Deep Beyond #5
Nocterra #3
Nocterra #4
Post Americana #3
Post Americana #4
Post Americana #5

Radiant Black #3
Radiant Black #4

DC Universe Infinite

Deep Beyond #3-5 - Ooooooo!  Me like!  Plot took an very interesting turn.  A couple of turns actually and the promise of intrigue is…well…promising!

Nocterra #3-4 - All right!  First part of the journey ends with a bang.  I’m enjoying this title and looking forward to some answers in the next issue.

Post Americana #3-5 - This gets better with each issue.  I’m loving where they are right now.  Don’t want spoil it but it is some funny stuff.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:42:14 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 10:31:58 PM »

Whoo da doo! Turns out, I DO love reading comics!! I just have to pick up the tablet and start going at it!!

Immortal Hulk 44- Love reading this title!! I need to pick up the eventual hardcovers that will come out for this entire collection!!!
Maestro War and Pax-YES!! Just leave Peter David write Maestro forever!!! Can't wait to get back to his Symbiote Spider-man series!!
US Agent 3- Priest is the greatest. Simply the greatest. I'd love to see him write some series unfettered to do what he wants. Whatever he sells, I'm always buying.
Taskmaster 3-5-Great little mini. The character of who TM is just fascinating for me to read.
Thor 13- Has there been a consistently great book like Thor over the last 15 years? Like, really, honestly? I have a hard time remembering when I didn't like a Thor issue coming out.
Amazing Spider-man 61-62 ; and it's back to the stories that happened before all this stuff with Kindred. This is...jarring. I'm glad to see it again...but it's really jarring! And I'll continue to say the costume, limited in use that it is for the series, is a terribly stupid design.

Get Marvel all caught up, or get all caught up on Justice League, Death Metal...hmm...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 01:40:34 AM »

Floppies!
Captain Marvel #28
Spider-Woman #11
Spider-Woman #12

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #62
Cable #9  
Taskmaster #5

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #3
Crossover #4
Crossover #5
Crossover #6

Deep Beyond #3
Deep Beyond #4
Deep Beyond #5
Nocterra #3
Nocterra #4
Post Americana #3
Post Americana #4
Post Americana #5

Radiant Black #3
Radiant Black #4

DC Universe Infinite

Radiant Black #3-4 - Awesome.  Loved both of these issues.  Issue 3 was a slow character development issue with a heart felt ending.  Issue 4 was action packed with a gut punch.  And yes, it really does change everything!

Amazing Spider-Man #62 - I’m out.  I was only so-so on this new direction to begin with and this issue pushed me over the edge.  I had to go back and make sure Nick Spenser actually wrote this one.  Whooo.  Not one his best.

Cable #9 - kind of a long road to get to something interesting but at least we got there.  Even if we have to wait for next issue to see where it goes.

Maestro: War And Pax #3 - Good issue.  I had a feeling what happened was going to happen but it was still fun getting there.

Taskmaster #5 - I enjoyed that. Good wrap up to what was a fun little mini.  Definitely agree with Jimmy.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 04:00:46 AM »

Floppies!
Captain Marvel #28
Spider-Woman #11
Spider-Woman #12

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #62
Cable #9  
Taskmaster #5

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #3
Crossover #4
Crossover #5
Crossover #6

Deep Beyond #3
Deep Beyond #4
Deep Beyond #5
Nocterra #3
Nocterra #4
Post Americana #3
Post Americana #4
Post Americana #5

Radiant Black #3
Radiant Black #4

DC Universe Infinite

Whoa!  How weird it feels to be holding actual "floppies" again!  They feel huge compared to my comics on my tablet!!  Man, I kind of miss this!!!

Jupiter’s Legacy: Requiem #1 - Well crap.  I'm torn on this one because while I really like the story and characters, I'm really not a fan of the art.  In my mind these characters look like they did when drawn by Frank Quitely.  So it was really hard to look at them with this vastly different artist.  Hopefully I'll get past it as I do think this story has legs.  And it should bring everything together.

Captain Marvel #28 - This has been a fun series and this new direction is no different.  Love the idea of Carol trying to dabble into the world of magic.  And the writing of this character just seems so spot on.

Spider-Woman #11-12 - Meh.  Not a fan of these villains.  And the story, while dramatic, isn't going to hold my attention.  I may be taking a break from this title.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »

Amazing Spider-Man #62 - I’m out.  I was only so-so on this new direction to begin with and this issue pushed me over the edge.  I had to go back and make sure Nick Spenser actually wrote this one.  Whooo.  Not one his best.

Well I jumped on here as fast as I could when you said you were done with Amazing, but yeah, I still don't know why  Grin

I haven't read Amazing in a long time but man, now I want to read that issue and a couple that led up to it.   Wink Or maybe I don't?  Cheesy Cheesy

Speaking of wanting to read a title ...

Jimmy, dang it, pulling me closer and closer to reading both of those Maestro mini's. I did at one point in time enjoy the hell outta some PAD, but the last couple things I read ... which I can't honestly remember what those were now (the end of his last X-Factor run?) ... didn't hit for me at all and I don't think I've gone back since. Maybe I have, but I don't remember.
I don't want to remember Peter David as being "off", so yeah, maybe its time to find out once and for all if the old geezer can still bring it.  Smiley If Jimmy is enjoying it this much I assume I should be able to at least enjoy it a little bit, if not love it as well.
 Smiley

Similar to last week, I have a feeling this week is going to be another small'ish one.
I'm aslo taking a lil break from Immortal as there is only, for me, 8 issues left of the series so I need to slow down a bit if I want to finish closer to when #50 hits.

Cable #9 - Funny stuff here with Magik. And young Cable realizes he made a huge mistake early on so sets his mind on bringing back someone better suited for the upcoming task

Taskmaster #5 - Speaking of task  Wink loved this mini. From art to dialog to somewhat predictable but still fun outcome. I think Marvel, or Jed Mackay at least, finally found Anthony Masters voice. yeah Mackay nailed this.
And FYI, he is also writing the Black Cat series, which has come out of the King in Black tie-in with issue #4

Fantastic Four #570 (2009)
Fantastic Four #571 (2009)
Fantastic Four #572 (2009)
Fantastic Four #573 (2009)
- with Ewing's Immortal on a slight pause for me and Hickman on a slight pause from X-Men, I wanted to take a look back on my favorite series with Hickman. Only four issues in, already so damn good.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 12:17:09 PM »

Nick Spenser’s Amazing Spider-Man run has been pretty enjoyable.  I liked the Sin Eater and Kindred stuff but I’m probably a bigger fan of the 70’s era Spider-Man and side cast than Jimmy?  I do agree that it dragged out too long but I still liked it.  But this stuff with Gog isn’t funny to me and really the whole point is to be slap stick hilarious.  I think it’s trying to be funny like Hawkeye was for awhile.  Unfortunately it is failing on the humor side with me. And I hate the new suit and how it broadcasts everything on social media.  But Bullesye crying because they’re leaving Gog with a sitter, and it’s just MJ, did me in.  Maybe I just need a break but I’m out for now.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 07:19:45 PM »

... Maybe I just need a break but I’m out for now.

Ahhh, that does seem odd. Hmmm.

Is Cog that thing that looks like it could be Ben Grimm's weird ass dog  Cheesy  all the little yellow squares on his face? I think I saw him on some semi-recent Amazing covers. I think I also saw something similar when I was looking over when to add Amazing to my MU Library. Is he from the past? Like early 70's?

Also, I did see where that costumes doesn't last long, maybe three or four issues so maybe you can try again in a couple months? Maybe the Bullseye(?) thing is ... hell ... I have no idea about that.
 Cheesy Cheesy

But thanks for the info and yeah, taking a break is always cool! Not like you can't catch back up!
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 03:23:34 AM »

Floppies!
Captain Marvel #28
Spider-Woman #11
Spider-Woman #12

Marvel Unlimited
Amazing Spider-Man #62
Cable #9  
Taskmaster #5

ComiXology Unlimited
Crossover #3
Crossover #4
Crossover #5
Crossover #6

Deep Beyond #3
Deep Beyond #4
Deep Beyond #5
Nocterra #3
Nocterra #4
Post Americana #3
Post Americana #4
Post Americana #5

Radiant Black #3
Radiant Black #4

DC Universe Infinite

Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Zero #1-14 - Yes this was good.  Liked seeing this series twist on the JSA.  And the events leading up to the original series.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 03:25:00 AM »

Yes.  Gog is that Ben Grimm looking dog.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 02:34:28 PM »

Ha, okay, not sure how I did this, but I just noticed it so I want to clear the air for the proverbial record

When I quoted this --->

... Maybe I just need a break but I’m out for now.

and then said this --->

Ahhh, that does seem odd. Hmmm.

I didn't mean to imply that you feeling the need to take a break from a title was what I found odd  Cheesy I basically just quoted the last thing you said as a place holder so you would know to what subject or post I was referencing. I had all the things in my head that you described, and that is why I posted my "that does seem odd", but I meant it seemed odd of Nick Spencer and the direction, not that it is odd that you felt like you were not enjoying it or needed a break from it. Basically I just quote the wrong damn thing.
My bad. I have no idea how/why I chose that part of your post instead of the meat and potatoes I was trying to reply about.
 Cheesy

Sorry if you took it the other way ... the way it looks
 Embarrassed
 Cheesy

Now, onto my post

Hope everyone here still has all 12 fingers and toes ... I mean 10, 10 fingers and toes ... after the Fourth of July parties and all the explosives that can sometimes come with. Lots of boom-booms going on here early last night but luckily all was quiet after about 10:00'ish so I, and more importantly; the wife, was able to get some sleep in after a draining day. However in a way I am kinda mad they didn't keep me up longer so I would be able to read more then the one issue I read last night. Look out Jeff, I'm gonna break that weekly reading amount record here soon if I keep this up
 Grin

Marvel Two-in-One #8 (1975) - Not much to say about this issue other than to admit that I could have done without it, honestly. It just wasn't that great, other than a couple cool things I seem to always enjoy.

Like the design of Blaze's bike cowl, which I have always thought was so damn cool. That Skull look being there, but not in a "Look at me! I'm a SKULL!! GET IT?" kind of way. It just makes sense. Blends in. The windscreen, the dual headlights, the "teeth" look of intake or front fairing along with the segmented forks ... perfect. Just prefect.

And then Sal's great action panel drawings like this of this perfect "Train Track" looking villain. I mean look at that F'n mustache!!!  Cheesy

But all the great art in the world didn't help me enjoy this issue. It was just so damn bland. Having Ghost Rider in a Christmas story was certainly a thing that Gerber would do, I just wish he brought a better story with him for this issue.
 Embarrassed

Cable #9
Taskmaster #5

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 10:51:15 PM »

That Sal punching panel....he used that same panel/storytelling trick in every issue I think! LOL what a guy.

That said.

I read MORE

Juggernaut 5- OH, that was the last ish? I was expecting 6! No matter, a cool story, loved seeing Ron Garney's looser penciling styles here, and Cain's got more initeresting stories ahead!

Symbiote Spider-man 1-5 They can milk this all they want, I enjoy it! PAD with Peter and his alien suit era; he is a swingin' guy with Felicia, MJ can come back in the picture, and Greg Land doing...yes, I'll say, some real cool looking panels with the black garbed Webhead. And a 3rd mini is coming!!

Iron 6-7- this is just...a little weird. Ok, a lot weird, but I likes it enough!

Amazing Spider-man 62-don't know if I finished it last time (think I did, maybe), but I totally get Jeff's opinion of it. Just...weird of an issue.

USAgent #4 -I can't wait for 5! To see how it all wraps around itself back to the beginning! Then read the whole thing again! I just wish a better penciller was available. Where was Paul Pelletier for the last 6 months, eh, Marvel?

Daredevil 28- trying to get back on track after junk King in Black issues. More fun to watch Elektra learn to be human

Flash 70-75- Josh Williamson's Flash Year 1 stuff. S'okay.

Death Metal 6- Please just be over! With an issue of so much guided view from panel to panel, this issue looked like trash. Just junk.
 & Death Metal Secret Origin-just because it was next up in the Death Metal queue

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 11:31:53 AM »

That Sal punching panel....he used that same panel/storytelling trick in every issue I think!

Yes he did!! If not every issue damn near every other one  Grin Grin Hell, I remember Hulk himself being in that pose many a times in Incredible, not to mention the villains he punched
 Cheesy

Flash 70-75- Josh Williamson's Flash Year 1 stuff. S'okay.

I hear really, really good things about the current run with the new writer ... whose name I forgot  Cheesy In-fact I flipped through the first issue of his, #668 ... ? ... #768 ? ... I don't know, Ha, whatever hundredth issues Flash is currently on. I just remember the #_68
The art was a little weird for me, not bad, but ... yeah, weird, but what I read was okay and seemed like it was heading to a potential epic place. From what I am told this is a must read run for Wally fans. I even thought about making it my other DC buy to see if that is the case.
Still haven't decided yet.

Death Metal 6- Please just be over! With an issue of so much guided view from panel to panel, this issue looked like trash. Just junk

Man do I miss Capullo. I tried the first issue of this about 3 times and while I love the look (and the idea, more or less) I just can't seem to get into it.

As for me, I read just a couple more last night -

Maestro #1 - So with Jimmy loving him some PAD, and me also being a fan, I decided to try this mini. I enjoyed this first issue, I did. Really. Honestly. But ... and maybe this was because I tried reading when I was too tired, I think I need to go back to this after I'm done with Ewing's Immortal. I know that doesn't make sense, why can't I separate the two? I do it all the time with comics, but for some reason, maybe I have the Hulk syndrome where I can't separate my Hulk reading identities  Cheesy but yeah, I kept trying to compare the two Hulk books and it felt off. Not that PAD was writing badly or out of voice, not at all, but I couldn't help but think of Immortal when I was reading.
Again, maybe it was just the timing was off as I did enjoy it, it is good, but I didn't "feel" it.
Damn, that sounds so damn millennial.
 Grin
Yeah, I liked it, I will read it, but not yet.
 Cool

X-Men #19 - Man, talk about a book you don't want to read when you are tired!!! I ended up understanding what happened (except for the penultimate panel. I will get to that), but damn, that Hickman can get a little trying at times when you are:
a) Not overly familiar with the subject (The Vault)
b) Having a hard time remembering the last issue's events (In The Vault  Cheesy)
c) Tired as hell
 Grin

Again, I understood what the goal and outcome were, but when I get a chance I am going to have to read issue #18 and #19 back to back to get all the meat that is on this bone.

Now, the one thing that DOES confuse me, and I hope you guys can help with this ... (read spoiler below only after you read the issue)

Why is Synch so happy when Laura returns, from that egg birth, and she doesn't seem to remember they fell for each other during "all those years" in the vault? She even flips him off in that Wolverine style.  Cheesy Did I just miss the reason for his happiness? Was he worried they couldn't work together or did he not feel the same when he was 're-born' or some shit? Did I misread the feelings for each other aspect? I just don't get it.

Maybe, hopefully, it was right there on the paper (I am 99% sure it is) and I was ... did I mention this already  Cheesy ... I was just too damn tired to grasp anything but yeah, a little help please?
 Smiley

Cable #9
Taskmaster #5

Marvel Two-in-One #8 (1975)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS