HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:23:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 16, 2021  (Read 6413 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 16, 2021, 01:25:32 PM »

Continuing through my backlog which is getting considerably smaller!  In fact, I’m actually caught up with MU so the others should start shrinking even faster.

Marvel Unlimited
Children of the Atom #1
Taskmaster #4
Immortal Hulk #44
Non-Stop Spider-Man #1
Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #4
Daredevil #28
The Amazing Spider-Man #61
Strange Academy #9
Externals #3

ComiXology Unlimited
Jupiter’s Legacy #1
Jupiter’s Legacy #2
Jupiter’s Legacy #3
Jupiter’s Legacy #4
Jupiter’s Legacy #5
Jupiter’s Legacy #6
Reckless TPB Vol 1

DC Universe Infinite
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #1
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #2
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #3
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #4
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #5
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #6
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #7
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #8
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #9
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #10
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #11
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #12
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #13
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #14
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #15
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #16
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #17
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #18
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #19
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #20

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 02:06:52 PM »

Sadly, I am back in the office and have to wait until this evening to get my pull. One of the perks to working from home was that I was running to my LCS (the Laughing Ogre) when it opened at 10AM on Wednesdays. I'll post later tonight.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:26:34 PM by Gay Titan » Logged
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 04:45:31 PM »

Sounds like we’ll be going back in September. I’m gonna miss the freedom of working from home.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:32:31 AM »

Detective Comics #1037...missed it last week
Fantastic Four #33
Flash #771
Heroes Reborn #7
Heroes Reborn: Weapon X & Final Flight
Jupiter's Legacy: Requiem #1
Nightwing #81
Radiant Black #5
X-Corp #2

Back issue bin:
New Teen Titans (1980) #14, 15, and 26
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:48:18 PM by Gay Titan » Logged
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:55:23 PM »

Back issue bin:

I may have a few of these that you can have.  Let me dig through my boxes.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 08:01:02 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Children of the Atom #1
Taskmaster #4

Immortal Hulk #44
Non-Stop Spider-Man #1
Daredevil #28
Strange Academy #9
Externals #3

ComiXology Unlimited
Jupiter’s Legacy #1
Jupiter’s Legacy #2
Jupiter’s Legacy #3
Jupiter’s Legacy #4
Jupiter’s Legacy #5
Jupiter’s Legacy #6
Reckless TPB Vol 1

DC Universe Infinite

Children of the Atom #1 - Meh.  Not for me.  I'm not picking anymore of this one up.  Just have no interest in these new characters nor their storyline.

Taskmaster #4 - This comic cracks me up.  And has a lot of fun action.  Taskmaster vs Okoye is a fun battle.  Looking forward to next issues match up.

Jupiter’s Legacy #1-6 - Wow.  They really did change a lot in the Netflix show.  I think I like the comic version better.  Glad a re-read this as I had forgotten a lot of what happens.  Still thumbs up!

Reckless TPB Vol 1 - Brubaker and Phillips noir TPB in the spirit of Criminal.  Actually, might as well be a Criminal comic as the twists and turns are similar.  Good book and will be a good series as there's another one already out.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 12:53:09 PM »

Back issue bin:

Seriously? that would be AWESOME!!!
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »

Back issue bin:

Seriously? that would be AWESOME!!!

Oh you bet.  PM me your address and I’ll send you what I find.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 07:40:17 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Children of the Atom #1
Taskmaster #4

Immortal Hulk #44
Non-Stop Spider-Man #1

Daredevil #28
Strange Academy #9
Externals #3

ComiXology Unlimited
Jupiter’s Legacy #1
Jupiter’s Legacy #2
Jupiter’s Legacy #3
Jupiter’s Legacy #4
Jupiter’s Legacy #5
Jupiter’s Legacy #6
Reckless TPB Vol 1

DC Universe Infinite

Immortal Hulk #44 - Fun issue with the U-Foes.  I'm ready for the real Hulk to be back and put some whopping on these guys.

Non-Stop Spider-Man #1 - Ugh.  I couldn't make it past four pages.  The writing is just as disjointed as Bachlo's art.  Not subjecting myself to this.

Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #4 - That was a fun little mini.  The Mystique story was my favorite but the best part of the series was the way the red color's stood out on the black & white pages. I don't think I'd stay on for a long period of time since all the stories take place in the past but for this short run, I enjoyed it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 08:49:41 PM »

Non-Stop Spider-Man #1 - Ugh.  I couldn't make it past four pages.  The writing is just as disjointed as Bachlo's art.  Not subjecting myself to this.

Ha !!!
Saw the writer and artist on this and just skipped right over. I was not much ever a Joe Kelly fan, not a hater, just never was enamored with him and of course we just talked about the artist ...
 Cheesy Cheesy

I haven't been at the keyboard much this week so I am a little behind, even with last week where I finished a couple Dr. Strange issues and never got to put 'em up. Going ahead and throwing here just to make it easier for me

Doctor Strange #4
Doctor Strange #5
- Overall I enjoyed this little romp down Magic Street. Although there isn't anything majorly wowing me so far with this title, other than a little trippy feeling every now and then, and I think it is making it worth the while for me.
 Smiley

As for this week, I have knocked out a little here and there.

DCI

Injustice: Gods Among Us #27
Injustice: Gods Among Us #28
Injustice: Gods Among Us #29
Injustice: Gods Among Us #30
Injustice: Gods Among Us #31
Injustice: Gods Among Us #32
Injustice: Gods Among Us #33
Injustice: Gods Among Us #34
Injustice: Gods Among Us #35
Injustice: Gods Among Us #36
I both felt happiness in the last couple of issues (Alfred) and felt sad the last couple of issues (Clarks parents ... all of them), so overall, that makes it worth it, yeah? Still hard for me, and I am sure anyone, to take most of things that happen in this stuff as anything other than "out of character" and some of it gets to me (especially Martian Manhunter) but I also calm myself down knowing this is exactly what it is suppose to be, an alternate universe tale with alternate characters. Not OUR DC characters. Still ticked about Nightwing, Mister Tom Taylor!!!
 Grin

MU

Immortal Hulk: Great Power #1 - I guess something happened back when Immortal Hulk #14 came out, when this story takes place, that allowed "Hulk" to be removed from Banner and thrown into Peter Parker? Not one of Tom Taylor's best, but I read a lot of Taylor's stuff over the past few weeks, so maybe I need a little break? I don't want to get bored with him. Still no idea why this came out so late in the Immortal run?

Immortal Hulk #30
Immortal Hulk #31
- This is my favorite arc of the entirety that I have read of this title. Although it isn't over yet and I still have more to go, I remember reading this the first time around and absolutely loving it. I feel the exact same so far. What Ewing did here with Zemnu (or Hulk as he was called way back when) is just utterly brilliant!!! Yep, loved seeing the U-Foes again (in the upcoming issues), but nothing beats this thing for me.
And oh, the value of the letters page shows through as one of the people that wrote in helped me understand more of what Ewing was trying to show me with Banner being at the end of this Universe's incarnation. Was Hulk to be the next Galen (Galactus) going from this Universe to the next? Hmmmm? It all ties in ...
 Smiley

Black Cat #3 - Still enjoying this issue, though I tire of the Tie-In stuff. Still enjoyable though.

Strange Academy #9 - Well, sort of the X-Men Baseball issue here as the parents all get together for contests and fun. And wait till you see who some of these parents of some of these kids are. Haha, Awesome.

Taskmaster #4 - Jeff and I are in simpatico here. This title is fun as hell. I have always liked the Taskmaster, but I suddenly find, after this, I like him a lot more now. Hopefully MODOK will return to form with its next issue and along with this title we can have two great last issues to two very enjoyable limited series.

Eternals #3 - Best issue of the run so far. Loved this one. And holy hell, how about that list?!?!?! You will know it when you see it. I mean ... the names ... ALL THOSE NAMES !!!!!
 Shocked

DC/Comixology

Nightwing #81 - Watch this issues value on Ebay soon, hell, I am sure already actually as the last page cliffhanger is going to send this issue and perhaps the next, into the atmosphere. Okay Tom, you pulled me back to your side here. This title is great. Nothing short of it.

EDIT - Forgot one

Black Hammer: Visions #5 - Although not a spectacularly original issue, it was probably the best of the bunch so far, for me. Kinda curious how the name of the character that Skulldigger "chases" was not taken. At least I have never heard of it and that is kind of cool. When you can get a "new" character name.
 Grin

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:55:53 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 10:13:12 PM »

I really like this cover to issue #4.  Is that Starlin art?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 11:34:16 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Children of the Atom #1
Taskmaster #4

Immortal Hulk #44
Non-Stop Spider-Man #1

Daredevil #28
Strange Academy #9
Externals #3

ComiXology Unlimited
Jupiter’s Legacy #1
Jupiter’s Legacy #2
Jupiter’s Legacy #3
Jupiter’s Legacy #4
Jupiter’s Legacy #5
Jupiter’s Legacy #6
Reckless TPB Vol 1

DC Universe Infinite

Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Five #1-20 - Halfway through the Final Year.  I didn't realize we changed writers in Year Four and he continues on this Year Five as well.  Not too bad but it did seem different and now I know why.    There are some funny moments with Bizarro in this one as we head towards what I assume will be the final confrontation between Supes and Bats.  Plus we finally get Hawkman in this one!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 12:37:01 AM »

I really like this cover to issue #4.  Is that Starlin art?

It is being credited as Frank Brunner, the same guy doing the interiors of this arc (for another issue and then the great Gene Colan takes over!!!)
Funny thing is however, according to Marvel Database, that the next issue, #5, is being credited for having Starlin inking THAT cover. That's crazy you were right there!
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 01:43:20 AM »

I really like this cover to issue #4.  Is that Starlin art?

It is being credited as Frank Brunner, the same guy doing the interiors of this arc (for another issue and then the great Gene Colan takes over!!!)
Funny thing is however, according to Marvel Database, that the next issue, #5, is being credited for having Starlin inking THAT cover. That's crazy you were right there!
 Cheesy

Ha!  Those planets and stars in the background sure look Starlinesque!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 02:21:18 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Children of the Atom #1
Taskmaster #4

Immortal Hulk #44
Non-Stop Spider-Man #1

Daredevil #28
Strange Academy #9
Eternals #3

ComiXology Unlimited
Jupiter’s Legacy #1
Jupiter’s Legacy #2
Jupiter’s Legacy #3
Jupiter’s Legacy #4
Jupiter’s Legacy #5
Jupiter’s Legacy #6
Reckless TPB Vol 1

DC Universe Infinite

Daredevil #28 - Back on track now that the Tie-In to King in Black is over.  And some good character developments all around.

The Amazing Spider-Man #61 - It's weird seeing Fisk in both Daredevil and this book.  Get's a little confusing as to what is happening when he's in a scene.  Not a fan of the new Spider-Man costume either.  I get what it's for and it will obviously go away at some point so I'll just have to hold out.  Going to stick around and see how this new direction goes at least for a little while.

Strange Academy #9 - Perry's right - a fun issue reminding me of Parent Day at my kid's school.  Unlike Children of the Atom - these are some new character's that I love getting to know!

Eternals #3 - Ah the plot thickens!  And we learn quite a bit about Thena.  I'm enjoying learning about these characters as well.  And in Gillen's hands they are thriving.  So Perry - do you think they used a random generator for all those names?

EDIT - just realized I had the Eternals listed as E"X"ternals.  Fixed it in this post but not the others.  Not sure what happened there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:33:47 AM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS