HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 10:50:44 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 23, 2021  (Read 3471 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »

Twas a very off week for me. Well, not really, I would say a normal one now that I think about it. Finished about 5 to 10 books, but started about 30 during the time
 Grin
But still, I thought I would get more in than I ended up getting

Marvel Two-in-One #7 (1975) - Wanted to jump on the Defenders around this time (mid-seventies) so I could by-pass some of the earlier stuff written by Englehart (Whom I normally enjoy, but his first couple issues of this title left me cold with that freakin' Nameless One story arc, so wanted to jump ahead a bit). Now I also wanted to get into this title again at some point so this seemed a good issue to start as I saw someplace that this is a prequel to or ties in with the story that is in that Defenders #20, where the new writer (Gerber) jumps on, a spot I figured would be a good place to start reading Defenders. So yeah, I decided to add this issue to my reading list to get as much story insight as I could regarding what Gerber was trying to do ... as he also writes 2-n-1 I thought it would be a benefit. Man did I screw the pooch with THAT decision. This issue, and the entire story is tied into earlier Defenders all the way back to the Marvel Feature days of the group, the damn Nameless One. Going back this one issue did nothing but put me more in the middle of that huge story and for me was almost pointless as the Defenders issue below does a fantastic job of recounting all the events from this issue as well as the rest of the Defenders issues that tied into this damn story!

Defenders #20 (1975) - Yeah, so again, I started this run with this issue as it was Gerber's first issue on the title and I was expecting a new story ... well, a new story that continued from that Marvel 2-in-1 issue. But no, this does not start a new story but instead ties up (hopefully for a long time) Englehart's Nameless One story arc. The one that I had jumped all this way forward to avoid. And yes, I know, I know, all I had to do was look on the blasted cover to see what was instore for me. It clearly shows the Nameless One right there!!! Directly on the cover! Although they did, in a way, sneak the little bastard in there by using a different, darker shade of color on the second head. I looked right past that and just saw a uni-headed demon on the cover, totally missing his second damn head!
 Grin Cheesy
Well, hopefully next issue will get me to where I want to be, reading a new Gerber penned Defenders arc!
All that said I am still happy to have read this, I mean if I didn't I would have totally missed the fact that Doctor Strange, a mystic hero, allowed a young woman to get hit by a train in order to save ... a harmonica !!!  Cheesy Cheesy

Black Hammer: Reborn #1

Immortal Hulk #38
Immortal Hulk #39
Immortal Hulk #40
Immortal Hulk #41

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS