HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:08:52 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 2, 2021  (Read 5154 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »

I thought the Union was just a mini. I thought about picking it up but hadn't seen any reviews (good or bad) about it.

Your right, it is a mini.  I wouldn’t mind it becoming an ongoing. Honestly, this is what Excalibur should have been.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 10:19:36 PM »

Went back for a few things.

Batman/Catwoman #5
Crush & Lobo #1
Heroes Reborn: Marvel Double Action #1
New Teen Titans (1980) Annual #1

and to answer Perry's question, I am sold my complete run of the series when I was broke and needed rent. So I am SLOWLY picking up pieces and seeing what I can find at a reasonable price.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2021, 02:27:55 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
The Union #1
The Union #2
The Union #3
King in Black: The Marauders #1

S.W.O.R.D. #3
X-Force #17
Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #3
Marauders #18
X-Men Legends #1
Cable #8
Wolverine #10
X-Men #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #1
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #2
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #3
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #4
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #5
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #6

DC Universe Infinite
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #13
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #14
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #15
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #16
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #17
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #18
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #19
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #20
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #21
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #22
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #23
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #24
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three Annual #1

---------------------------------------------

S.W.O.R.D. #3 - Crossing over into King in Black event.  Sigh.

X-Force #17 - Kid Omega and Phoebe centric.  And really good.  Interesting deep dive into Kid Omega's mind.

Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #3 - I like the Amiko and Mars stories but didn't care too much for the Cosmic Ghost Rider story.  Probably because of the artist.  JESÚS SAIZ.  Similar to Bachlo.

Marauders #18 - Madripoor and a new group of Reavers.  And a lot of action.  Looks like we're back on the up swing.

X-Men Legends #1 - Did anyone really want to bring the 90's back?  Despite liking the art I decided midway through that I wasn't going to keep reading this.  Then they went and pulled me in with the cliff hanger.  Gotta see how that ends up but doubt I'll stick around for more past issue 2.  But you never know.

Cable #8 - Another decent issue.  Liked seeing Domino and Cable together even if it is this younger version.  And a blood bath to boot.  Nice.

Wolverine #10 - Good wrap up to the visit to Madripoor.  Seems a little inconsistent with the Marauders book but maybe not as much as I think.  Looks like things with Maverick aren't exactly over though....

X-Men #18 - Still the best book of the X-World.  Why can't Hickman just write them all?   Grin  It seems like very few writers can take B-Level characters like Darwin and Synch and make an A-Level story.  Hickman is one of those guys.  Right up there with Peter David.  Throw in X-23 and what sounds like a lousy team becomes a well oiled machine.  With a cliff hanger to make me want more.  Why isn't issue 19 on MU yet?!?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »

Went back for a few things.

Batman/Catwoman #5
Crush & Lobo #1
Heroes Reborn: Marvel Double Action #1
New Teen Titans (1980) Annual #1

and to answer Perry's question, I am sold my complete run of the series when I was broke and needed rent. So I am SLOWLY picking up pieces and seeing what I can find at a reasonable price.

Oh man...what a QUEST!!! Sometimes the hunt is worth it alone!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2021, 10:19:12 PM »

and to answer Perry's question, I sold my complete run of the series when I was broke and needed rent.

Oh yeah, right on. It's nice to have that option when needed. Further proof Comics are, or can be, a WORTHY investment  Smiley

So I am SLOWLY picking up pieces and seeing what I can find at a reasonable price.

Sweet. Good luck and hopefully you will soon fill out the series. It is one of those, had I decided to keep any, that would have made the cut
 Smiley

S.W.O.R.D. #3 - Crossing over into King in Black event.  Sigh.

Wouldn't have mattered
 Grin
Just kidding. I had to bail after 2 issues and have no desire to come back so I didn't have to worry about the crossover obstruction
 Grin

X-Men Legends #1 - Did anyone really want to bring the 90's back?

Ha! Not I, that's for sure  Grin

Cable #8

Oh yeah, THATS the other X book I read. I keep forgetting that one as I know it is essentially done.
 Undecided

X-Men ... Why isn't issue 19 on MU yet?!?

It dropped at the end of March. On March 31st actually, so not quite yet 3 months.  Smiley
Issue #20 just dropped last week though, so expect an even further wait for that one ... I imagine.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 07:16:54 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
The Union #1
The Union #2
The Union #3
King in Black: The Marauders #1

S.W.O.R.D. #3
X-Force #17
Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #3
Marauders #18
X-Men Legends #1
Cable #8
Wolverine #10
X-Men #18

ComiXology Unlimited
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #1
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #2
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #3
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #4
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #5
Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #6

DC Universe Infinite
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #13
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #14
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #15
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #16
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #17
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #18
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #19
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #20
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #21
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #22
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #23
Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #24

---------------------------------------------

Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death #1-6 - Pretty disappointed in this one.  Not as good as past Umbrella Academy outings.  It's a solo story starring Seance and takes place around a time before the original series.  Unless your just a purist like myself, no need to pick it up.

Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Three #13-24
Not as exciting as the first half of this story.  Takes a bit of a side road with a threat outside of the fight between team Superman and team Batman.  Still an ok story but the weakest of the series.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 10:28:27 PM »

Well, I've done some reading tonight, as well as listing stuff from the past week

It felt nice to just read about AQUAMAN for a while. I don't find Kelly De Connick fascintating in writing, but it just felt good to read about Arthur again from 57-59.

I didn't know SHAZAM was cancelled, and it wasn't showing up on my 'keep reading list', so I went through issues 9-15 to finish it off! I really just want this character to really star, and not be forgotten due to Johns not doing anything with him forever.

(by the way, the DCI app did an update, and its SO MUCH BETTER about adding new books, adding to lists, and not getting lost in circles trying to get to the home page!)

ON Marvel, I did Daredevil 26-27 and it was King in Black tie in nonsense, so I didn't like them.
I read Amazing Spider-man 58-60, and I'm cruising along to follow well in step with the series.

I suppose I should get back to X-men post X of Swords....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »

Well, I've done some reading tonight ...

YEA!!!!

(by the way, the DCI app did an update, and its SO MUCH BETTER ...

Yes it is. Even on the desktop!

I suppose I should get back to X-men post X of Swords

At least X-Men proper  Smiley
(Oh, and Wolverine as I think you like Percy's stuff. It has been pretty fun)

Didn't get half of what I wanted to get in, but here is the finished list from this week that I kept meaning to post updates on but never did
 Sad

Serial #1 (re-read)
Serial #2
Serial #3
Serial #4
- Terry Moore goes back to a more horror'ish tone with his Serial. Here we find our main protagonist(?), the centuries old 10 year old Zoe (from Rachel Rising), discovering that there is an active serial killer taking out people. What will Zoe do? Yeah, what will she do indeed. Great stuff, but I am a Terry Moore whore, so ...

Shadowman #2 - Decided to give this series another go and see if I stick around. I will decide after the next issue. Right now it is on the fence. Its decent enough, but with so much to read, is it worth getting?

DCI

Injustice: Gods Among Us #1
Injustice: Gods Among Us #2
Injustice: Gods Among Us #3
Injustice: Gods Among Us #4
Injustice: Gods Among Us #5
Injustice: Gods Among Us #6
Injustice: Gods Among Us #7
Injustice: Gods Among Us #8
Injustice: Gods Among Us #9
Injustice: Gods Among Us #10
Injustice: Gods Among Us #11
Injustice: Gods Among Us #12
Injustice: Gods Among Us #13
Injustice: Gods Among Us #14
Injustice: Gods Among Us #15
- More of a re-read with the first 6 issues (which equates to only two issues really as it take three issues of this digital title to equal one issue of its print version). Pretty good stuff, Taylor doing what he does and doing well, but the art is kinda rough for me. Not horrible and nothing that will keep me from reading, but enough to have me notice some problems every now and then. It looks crazy to me that I read all these and its only 5 comics worth  Grin

MU

X-Men #18 - So a Mutant team of three go to the mysterious (to me) Vault and  ... without spoilers ... a battle insures.
I don't have much info on this Vault (seen a very little bit about it), but it seems it is a place where time ... fluctuates? (Sorry, most of The Vault history stuff happened in the Mike Carey X-Men stuff which I was not around for so I am going into this pretty cold  Cheesy)

Captain Marvel #32
Captain Marvel #33
- Finishing up Thanos first true "Love of Death, kill the Universe" arc and ... it was okay. I may try one more issue of Captain Marvel, but now that the main threat to him has ... well, now that this title is moving on for awhile, I think I will take a break. It was interesting seeing this story and I'm glad I read through this, but ... well, I want to get to other mid-seventies stuff too

Avengers #125 - What a load of shit. This is, to my knowledge, one of the rare times in the 70's where "the story continues in a different title" ploy was total crap. Tie-Ins are now, most times, bullshit money grabs, but by and large, in the 70's, from what I remember, they used them to introduce fans of one group or character can be introduced to another group or character ... while also going for a money grab.
 Grin
But with this? Bull. After reading CapMar #32, it says the story continues in this issue and then it will finish in CapMar #33, but I did not in anyway that I see, have to read this issue. Is this the precursor of what is to come? The bait and switch?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »

Thought of you, guys.

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-on-marvel-unlimited-june-2021-all-the-comics-arriving-this-month/

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 02:25:08 PM »

Captain Marvel #32
Captain Marvel #33
- Finishing up Thanos first true "Love of Death, kill the Universe" arc and ... it was okay. I may try one more issue of Captain Marvel, but now that the main threat to him has ... well, now that this title is moving on for awhile, I think I will take a break. It was interesting seeing this story and I'm glad I read through this, but ... well, I want to get to other mid-seventies stuff too

I believe issue 34 is the last Jim Starlin issue anyway.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 02:28:32 PM »

Oooo!  Thanks Rodney!  This will be great for planning my lists!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2021, 07:13:04 PM »

Yeah, thanks I forgot to look for this weeks offerings so perfect timing. Plus good news for me is I have nothing that I read that hit this past Monday, so that gives me a little time to catch up on other stuff!

I believe issue 34 is the last Jim Starlin issue anyway.

Oh yeah?
*hits the up MU*
Oh yeah ... I see Englehart takes over the dialog with #34 and then no more Starlin ... Hmmm ... wonder if I want to read this last one now anyway as he did plot and pencil it and it is the intro for Nitro. I suppose I may as well end with that one
Cool, thanks

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS