HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:37:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 26, 2021  (Read 2781 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 26, 2021, 03:14:53 AM »

Going out of town this weekend for my nephews graduation.  That could mean I’ll easily get through my list on the three hour drive.  Or it could mean I’ll have no time to read as the family sucks up all my free time.  Cheesy

But here’s what I’m gonna work on...

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy #3
Strange Academy #4
Strange Academy #5
Strange Academy #6
Strange Academy #7
Strange Academy #8
Daredevil #23
Daredevil #24
Daredevil #25
Daredevil #26
Daredevil #27
Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #13
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #14
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #15
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #16
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #17
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #18
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #19
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #20
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #21
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #22
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #23
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #24
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two Annual #1

DC Universe Infinite
Hawkman #26
Hawkman #27
Hawkman #28
Hawkman #29 - Series Final Issue
Flash #753
Flash #754
Flash #755
Flash #756
Flash #757
Flash #758
Flash #759
Flash #760

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 12:29:01 AM »

Action #1031
Batman/Superman #18
Detective Comics #1036
Heroes Reborn #4
Heroes Reborn: Magneto & the Mutant Force #1
Milestone Returns: Infinite Edition Zero
Mister Miracle: the Source of Freedom #1
Robin #2
Stargirl Spring Break Special #1
Teen Titans Academy #3
X-Men #20

Backk Issue bin:
Infinity Inc (1984) #15
New Teen Titans (1980) #18
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »

Hawkman 29 is the finale? Well that's what I'm going onto next!

I think I haven't posted in a while, so I'll post more of what I've done

Okay, DCI, I read everything from Dark Metal 2 through Metal 5. And with all the tie ins, tha'ts about 15 issues!!! LOL. But here's what I got to say about it.
    -I'm done with it. I'm done with Batman wins everything. I'm done with Dark Multiverse. I'm done with the nonsense of the...nonsense of it. I'd like for their to not be a reality changed every 4 months in DC comics. Just...leave stuff alone, and go on.

Unlimited, of course I read Immortal Hulk, and I'm all caught up with Thor! I've only read X-men post X of Swords, and it feels REALLY hard to try any other X title. I've been honestly dreading it to a degree! Read Iron Man up through issue 5. It's fine. I'm behind 1 issue of Amazing Spider-man which at least defintely piques my interest more these days-thanks Mark Bagley!!! Daredevil continues to be a solid read each time too!

Juggernaut, Taskmaster, Maestro are all little minis 'on the outside' that I enjoy a hella lot! USAgent too (PRIEST WRITING!!!)
I've decided to drop the Fantastic Four Perry asked me to read to see if others really would like it, as Slott does Slott not more than 2 issues later.

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »

Okay, DCI, I read everything from Dark Metal 2 through Metal 5. And with all the tie ins, tha'ts about 15 issues!!! LOL. But here's what I got to say about it.
    -I'm done with it. I'm done with Batman wins everything. I'm done with Dark Multiverse. I'm done with the nonsense of the...nonsense of it. I'd like for their to not be a reality changed every 4 months in DC comics. Just...leave stuff alone, and go on.

Loved Dark Metal 2 (never read the first one), but you're right. It went on forever and I am hoping this Infinite reboot is the last we see for a few years.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 02:13:39 PM »

Starting off with recently released MU stuff to start -

Black Widow #5 - A decent transitional piece to cap off the last 4 issues that could have been the last issue of this series. I think this falls into one of those Marvel (comics in general) tricks of planning for a mini, but if it sells well enough in the preorder stage, we can extend it a few more issues. But then again, to do that with a four issue mini would be impractical and damn near impossible, so maybe not  Cheesy

Cable #8 - I was getting out of or totally gone from the X-Men when Stryfe came around, so with this you Cable stuff I was hoping to learn a little more about him. I think we are starting to head that way. Of course just in time for the series to end at #12

Iron Man #5 - I understand the complaints about this writer, I do. He struggles at times. Heck in this issue, for example, the way
Rodney just ran away after he escaped when the bad guys just watched ... they could have tried to stop him, or at least fired at him,
the entire scene wasn't written too well, but at the same time every single time I read this book I close the issue with a satisfactory smile. This shit is just fun for me. Too long getting there? Yep. I get it. Too stretched out? Yep, 100% agree. But again, damn I find it fun. No wacky Stark blood tech (no offense to my man Warren Ellis), just a busted ass Tony trying to get something done with a couple of characters that are just here to keep the copyright alive
 Cheesy

MODOK #3 - UGH!!! I F'n hate Gwenpool. She just ruined this issue for me. In-fact, do yourself a favor and just read the first two pages and then skip to the last two pages to get ready for the next issue. Other than the ending, this is just crap. Breaking the 4th wall is fine, I get it, but this issue took a promising, very damn good comedy comic and pushed too damn far ... using a character I can't stand with devices that are more suited to a Mad Magazine. I hate when Gwenpool is in anything I read, and this just geodes me even further into hatred. 

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 02:03:56 PM »

Hope Jeff was able to get to some of his list because it is a slow reading week on the MU app for me  Undecided

Marauders #18 - A little more of a real estate issue than anything else Cheesy but enjoyable (though not grand)

Immortal Hulk #25 - An artistic "fill-in" issue set waaaaay in the future (touching on elements from the end pages of the last couple issues) that ends up being kind of loopy confusing at the end. I think I get it ... I think Sad

Captain Marvel #27 (1973)
Captain Marvel #28 (1973)
Captain Marvel #29 (1973)
- Wanted to get back into the mid-seventies stuff I bought when I was buying with a purpose. When I was actually using my OWN funds (allowance  Grin) to buy comics, not the early seventies stuff that I had to rely on mom for. Like taking me to the grocery store and me begging for a comic or two when we got to the check out.
While the late 60's early 70's were a boom time for Marvel, there was just so much greatness going on at Marvel during the mid to late 70's ... Like the start of Sal Buscema's Hulk run, Perez's start on the Avengers, Giant-Sized X-Men, Len Wein's start of Amazing Spider-Man, Gerber writing the Defenders, the start of a multitude of new titles like Champions, Invaders, etc ... that it sends me into giddyness when I think of all the issues I would buy.
Now even though this title is a little earlier than the mid-seventies, I wanted to start with another grand event in Marvel history, Jim Starlin writing Captain Marvel. He had penciled and co-wrote for a couple issues prior to his official writing duties (with issue #29) so I went ahead and read through a couple issues prior to his start as well.
Pretty wacky stuff, especially the look of EON (love it!), but a very enjoyable three issue read!
Where Mar-Vell stops being a warrior and becomes a protector!!!
And with that, a new hair color
 Grin

Black Widow #5
Cable #8
Iron Man #5
MODOK #3

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 06:46:51 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy #3
Strange Academy #4
Strange Academy #5
Strange Academy #6
Strange Academy #7
Strange Academy #8
Daredevil #23
Daredevil #24
Daredevil #25

Daredevil #26
Daredevil #27

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Hawkman #26
Hawkman #27
Hawkman #28
Flash #753
Flash #754
Flash #755
Flash #756
Flash #757
Flash #758
Flash #759
Flash #760

Strange Academy #3-8 - I’m enjoying this fun little title.  I like the new characters and Scottie Young has made them interesting.  I really like the Dormammu kid and I’m finding his arc a little predictable but still fun to read.

Daredevil #23-25 - wrap up for the trial arc.  Enjoyed reading but even more excited for the prison arc as well as the Electra stuff.  I’m even more excited for where her story could go.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 06:48:03 PM »

Man I’m so tempted to add those Captain Marvel issues and read along with you.  I’ve wanted to go back and read those also for a long time.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 07:45:19 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy #3
Strange Academy #4
Strange Academy #5
Strange Academy #6
Strange Academy #7
Strange Academy #8
Daredevil #23
Daredevil #24
Daredevil #25

Daredevil #26
Daredevil #27

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Hawkman #26
Hawkman #27
Hawkman #28
Flash #753
Flash #754
Flash #755
Flash #756
Flash #757
Flash #758
Flash #759
Flash #760

Daredevil #26 & 27 - Ugh!  Stupid King in Black tie-in killed the momentum on this title.  Didn’t care for these two issues and wish they’d skipped tieing in to this story!

Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #2 - always love seeing Fat Cobra.  Story itself isn’t bad.  Not sure I was in the right mood for this.  Still in a foul mood after that tie-in that messed up Dare Devil.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 01:43:00 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy #3
Strange Academy #4
Strange Academy #5
Strange Academy #6
Strange Academy #7
Strange Academy #8
Daredevil #23
Daredevil #24
Daredevil #25

Daredevil #26
Daredevil #27

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Hawkman #26
Hawkman #27
Hawkman #28
Flash #753
Flash #754
Flash #755
Flash #756
Flash #757
Flash #758
Flash #759
Flash #760

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #13-24

Another big finish to this series.  Some great Green Lantern / Sinestro Corp battles.  Super-Man vs Mogo.  Tons of Guy Gardner.  Birds of Prey.  And lot of death.  Thumbs up and looking forward to Year Three!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:46:20 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 10:00:03 AM »

...Thumbs up and looking forward to Year Three!

I can't believe Marvel has not yet tried to get Tom in a contract. He is so darn good. Now I have only read the last, most recent arc (a prequel ... in a way) and the first six issues of the first arc (the original six, based on the game I am pretty sure). And while this full series is still on the "list", I have still enjoyed almost 100% of what I have read from Taylor. I know there was a few issues I didn't care for but, luckily for me, I don't remember them
 Grin
Marvel, lock him up!
 Cheesy

Strange Academy [...] I really like the Dormammu kid and I’m finding his arc a little predictable but still fun to read.

Oh yeah, no doubt, very predictable. "Son of bad, going good" and all but, like you, I find I still enjoy the lil dude  Grin

Man I’m so tempted to add those Captain Marvel issues and read along with you.  I’ve wanted to go back and read those also for a long time.

Well jump on in sir.  Grin I can't speak of the earlier stuff, including issues with the green and white uniform, the Kree homeworld and the like, but for the timeline I was looking for and interested in, issue #25 is a great place to start. Starlin started on art and also co-wrote with issue #25 (he was helped by a co-writer), until he took over writing as well as art with issue #29. I probably should have started there, at #25, but I just went a couple issue back from #29 and I was caught up pretty quickly (thanks in no small part to the 70's "every issue is someone's first issue" recap style)
 Grin

Of course, knowing you, in about a week you will be so far past where I am in the series that we won't be able to discuss much about it as it would all be spoilers for me.
 Cheesy  Grin
But yeah, jump in
 Smiley

And anyone else that has MU ... come on and lets talk Starlin's Mar-Vell
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 09:54:08 PM »

I loooooooove those issues of Captain Marvel!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 01:10:51 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Strange Academy #3
Strange Academy #4
Strange Academy #5
Strange Academy #6
Strange Academy #7
Strange Academy #8
Daredevil #23
Daredevil #24
Daredevil #25

Daredevil #26
Daredevil #27

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Hawkman #26
Hawkman #27
Hawkman #28
Flash #753
Flash #754
Flash #755
Flash #756
Flash #757
Flash #758
Flash #759
Flash #760

Hawkman #26-29 - Great ending to the series.  So happy to see the Justice Society again but it was for a way too short a time.  I would love to see this creative team do an actual JSA book.  It would be awesome.  They did a wonderful job on this series and I don't think I've ever enjoyed Hawkman so much before.

Flash #753-760 - Decent ending to the Paradox arc and a really great start for the Legion of Zoom arc!  Although all of this time stuff is confusing and I have to throw out my continuity meter for it all to make sense.  But as is, a lot of fun seeing all of these old and new characters together.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:15:43 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »

I loooooooove those issues of Captain Marvel!!

Right? I finished a couple more (will post later) and over-all the story was fun and art was trippy, like I like it in my cosmic stuff.  Grin
The book/writing is still very much "of its time" however, and Thanos is not quite fleshed out as well as he would become (but rarely anyone was after their first 20 or so issues), but if you can put yourself back in 1974 or so, back when that is what comics were, you can find a ton of enjoyment in them.

Still want to know how A'lars (Mentor) and Eros went from being born of the Olympic Gods to being Eternal blood, but I can only assume, for now ... until I go check  Cheesy Cheesy that it happened when Kirby came back to Marvel with his Eternals idea. Marvel either allowed him to make the change or they asked him to do it. Such a small part of Marvel lore it doesn't really matter, but I wonder if it was explained at all or if they just washed over Starlin's idea (if it werre indeed he that made the Titan's origin, like we saw in issue 26(?), back after he (and Gerber?) first made Thanos in Iron Man ... again ... something I don't know)
 Wink

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 03:21:00 PM »

Just a couple more oldies in prior to the deadline. Well, MY deadline anyway, which is when I wake up and get out of bed on Wednesday morning (and not when I wake up at 2:30 A.M and still get a book or two in and count 'em as the week prior Grin)

Captain Marvel #30 (1974)
Captain Marvel #31 (1974)
- So we are in 1974 with issue #30 of this title and getting closer to my favorite stuff. I was hoping to get closure here, but that darn Thanos went and did something to make ... well ... I will wait to see if Jeff gets the time to find out for himself, so no spoilers.
I will say that I just found out that issue #32, the next issue of this arc, will be continued in an Avengers issue and then back for the finale of the arc in issue #33. Now I have to go find out what issue of Avengers this story will be continued in so I can add it to my downloads. Of course I hadn't planned on adding Avengers until issue #141, Perez' first issue, but looks like they are pulling me in a few issues early anyway.

Black Widow #5
Cable #8
Iron Man #5
MODOK #3
Marauders #18
Immortal Hulk #25
Captain Marvel #27 (1973)
Captain Marvel #28 (1973)
Captain Marvel #29 (1973)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS