HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:20:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 19, 2021  (Read 4465 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 19, 2021, 02:54:12 PM »

Not sure if I can get through all of these this week or not.  Been a rough week at work.

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four: Antithesis #1
Fantastic Four: Antithesis #2
Fantastic Four: Antithesis #3
Fantastic Four: Antithesis #4
Fantastic Four: Road Trip #1
Fantastic Four #28
Fantastic Four #29
Black Widow: Widows Sting #1
Spider-Man Noir #5
Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #1
Eternals #1
Eternals #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #1
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #2
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #3
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #4
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #5
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #6
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #7
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #8
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #9
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #10
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #11
Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Two #12

DC Universe Infinite
Nightwing #70  - Joker War Tie-In
Nightwing #71  - Joker War Tie-In
Nightwing #72  - Joker War Tie-In
Nightwing #73  - Joker War Tie-In
Nightwing #74  - Joker War Tie-In
Nightwing #75  - Joker War Tie-In
Catwoman #25 - Joker War Tie-In
Batman & the Outsiders #17 - Series Final Issue
Batman #101
Batman #102

---------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:07:14 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »

Not sure if I can get through all of these this week or not. 

Well maybe I can help ... maybe?

Marvel Unlimited

Don't waste your time with these and forget they were ever a thing. They do not exist. They are an illusion.

There, that hopefully saved you some time.
 Cheesy

Only one book going on my list this week, as I don't do reading list as I can never get through them, but one book I know I will be getting, reading and hopefully enjoying ...

Nightwing #80
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 04:01:27 PM »

Marvel Unlimited

Don't waste your time with these and forget they were ever a thing. They do not exist. They are an illusion.

Cheesy

Lol!  Well I already read issue 1 and didn’t hate it.  My OCD won’t let me not finish it I’m afraid.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 04:02:24 PM »

Not sure if I can get through all of these this week or not. 

Well maybe I can help ... maybe?

Marvel Unlimited

Cheesy

Only one book going on my list this week, as I don't do reading list as I can never get through them, but one book I know I will be getting, reading and hopefully enjoying ...

Nightwing #80
 Smiley

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!! Post-Infinite Frontier Nightwing has been a really good read.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:41:42 AM »

Daredevil #30
Flash #770
Heroes Reborn #3
Justice League #61
Legends of the Dark Knight #1
Nightwing #80
Radiant Black #4
Shang-Chi #1

Back Issue bin:
Darkhawk #26
New Teen Titans (1984) #17, 20
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 04:25:33 PM »

How is Radiant Black?  It’s on my “to buy” list but I haven’t got to it yet.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 06:30:40 PM »

The first arc is the usual origin stuff. It reads a lot like the Blue Beetle/Jamie Reyes series. I enjoy it.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 09:25:11 PM »

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!! Post-Infinite Frontier Nightwing has been a really good read.

Yeah Man. I jumped on at issue 78 when Tom Taylor came onboard and was blown away by how much I liked it. It isn't anything I can point to, but ... yeah ... just good stuff all around and some fine Nightwing!
 Smiley

The first arc is the usual origin stuff. It reads a lot like the Blue Beetle/Jamie Reyes series. I enjoy it.

I only read the first issue and you're right, especially the way they did the origin centric first issue, it reads a lot like that Reyes stuff. I feel a little more distant with this character though. Not sure why. But then again I haven't gone back to read more yet either, so ...

Got a couple in today, that I have been meaning to read ...

Black Hammer: Visions #4 - At last an issue I enjoyed. Still a very odd story, but at least this one (these two  Wink) left me feeling like I read a decent enough one-shot comic. The art by Diego Olortegui was pretty darn nice. I wasn't familiar with him, but after reading this I looked him up and he has done various stuff including arcs on X-23 and Ms. Marvel.

Sea of Sorrows #5 - Finally finished this mini. The story was fine, but the art, much like we discussed with Bachelo, was just too damn hard to see most of the time. Couldn't differentiate between characters for shit. Made it hard to read. I would grade it a solid 8 if the art was a little easier to see at times, but as it wasn't it drops to a 5. The creature design was dope, though I don't want to spoil it but that first issue cover did well to draw me in.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 04:22:41 PM »

Read a few last night and then had to get up this morning and finish the Cap issue I literally passed out reading last night. I mean tablet falling on my face and all
 Cheesy

MU time!!

Morbius: Bond of Blood #1 - Ugh, not only was there an art issue with how drastically costume damage happened to our main character (literally goes from having a perfectly fine costume to then being thrown against a wall and having about 498 holes and rips in his get-up?? No. NO, NO, NO!!), story wise this wasn't anything special either.

Eternals #2 - Okay, let me get this out there now ... I am 99.999% sure I will be the only one here that enjoys this run. Jimmy has never cared for the Eternals, and while I'm not sure about the rest (IE, Jeff, Rodney, etc...) I can see the Hickman'esque nature of the production and the over-all pacing of this series is just going to fall flat for most everyone. I really enjoy it, but I think I will be alone
 Cheesy

Taskmaster #3 - Now this one? This one is for everybody!!! Man I've been waiting for this issue. Perhaps a little too much as it wasn't as powerfully fun as the first two, but ya know, I still enjoyed the heck out of it! Looking forward to next week's Modok now as well ... these two are true surprise hits for me!

Captain America #158 (1973) - We open on the same rooftop from last issue's battle just in time to see the Viper escaping, and Cap and Falcon near death from the poison his claws injected. While The Falcon nears death, Cap struggles to reach the antidote dropped by the Viper, even as he is nearing his own untimely end. Cap luckily is able to reach the bottle, chug some life saving fluid down his throat and hurries to the aid of Sam to do the same. and then not much happens.
No wait, a lot more happens.  Cheesy
Cap visits a retired police Sergeant who thinks a certain patrolman that was under his command (A certain Steve Rogers ... who yes, has been a cop during this time) is the evil doer; The Cowled Commander, so Cap tries to calm him down into not doing anything rash.
Steve battles some street hoodlums and returns to his apartment to find cops have searched through his stuff and his Landlord thinks that means Steve is a bad guy so tries to blackmail him.
Falcon scraps with the head of the local street mob to get info on the Viper, find the Viper and beats that ass but while doing so Falcon learns that it isn't just the Viper causing trouble in the name of The Cowled Commander, oh no, but also The Plantman, The Scarecrow, The Eel and The ... hahaha ... The Porcupine!!!

Fantastic Four #131 (1973) - An Inhuman centric issue! Johnny busts into the home of the Inhumans to find his love Crystal being all cozy with Quicksilver!!! A brief battle ensues but unfortunately for the hot head, it is around this time that the slaves of the Inhumans, the Alpha Primitives, have decided they have had enough of being under their 'master's' heels and set their revolt in action and bring forth the super-sized Alpha-Primitive; Omega!!!

Black Hammer: Visions #4
Sea of Sorrows #5

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 09:44:30 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #28
Fantastic Four #29

Spider-Man Noir #5
Eternals #1
Eternals #2

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #101
Batman #102

Fantastic Four: Antithesis #1-4 - Perry was right about this one.  The story is not very good and beyond what they do to Galactus being dumb, they turn Reed into a whiney cry baby. Skippable for sure.

Fantastic Four: Road Trip #1 - Meh. I didn’t like the art though it matched with the direction of the story.  An ok one shot but not for me.

Fantastic Four #28 - the end of this arc and I didn’t care for this either? What started as a promising new direction has fizzled for me.

Fantastic Four #29 - King in Black tie-in and continues my lack of enthusiasm for these FF stories.  I’m going to drop this title...again.  Why can’t anyone get the Fantastic Four right anymore?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:06:50 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 11:55:32 PM »

Fantastic Four: Road Trip #1 - Meh. I didn’t like the art though it matched with the direction of the story. 

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be a hard sell for you. It is very stylized

Why can’t anyone get the Fantastic Four right anymore?

*sigh* tell me about

But you want to know about someone getting something right? Nightwing!!!

Nightwing #80 - Incredible. The same creative that brought the world the very fun and highly under-appreciated 11 issue run of Suicide Squad shows once more why they are the team to beat! Loving this Dick
 Cheesy
I mean, the dialog, the pacing, the characterizations of not just Mr. Grayson, but Barbara, Tim and the three legged dog as well. This is a top notch damn book and so glad I didn't wait for this to hit DCI. The best part is I get to relive it all again when issue #78 (the first issue of this creative's run) finds its way into the hands of those that did wait.
I love this book so much I may try another DC book to "not wait on". Well, try a second time. I tried Robin thinking it would be another but I can wait on that.
 Grin

Morbius: Bond of Blood #1
Eternals #2
Taskmaster #3
Captain America #158 (1973)
Fantastic Four #131 (1973)

Black Hammer: Visions #4
Sea of Sorrows #5

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 01:05:31 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #28
Fantastic Four #29

Spider-Man Noir #5
Eternals #1
Eternals #2

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Batman #101
Batman #102

Black Widow: Widows Sting #1 - Nice little one shot by Ralph Macchio.  Not a must read but if you have spare time it’s a good by the numbers book.

Spider-Man Noir #5 - the end at last.  Average story over all. But the art I liked.  The black and white made for a good noir feel.

Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #1 - I like it.  It’s going to be fun seeing the heroes from the different Cities of Heaven again.  And Taskmaster and Lady Bullseye are bonuses!

Eternals #1-2 - There’s a lot of world building going on here.  I love it.  I have never read anything about the Eternals before and know really nothing about them.  So this is all new to me and I really like it.  Gillen does a great job explaining everything you need to know so even for a novice like myself the characters are accessible.  All this cosmic high minded stuff and a murder mystery to boot?  I’m in.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 03:47:52 AM »

Perry (or anyone) is Nightwing 80 the place to really start?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 03:29:16 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #28
Fantastic Four #29

Spider-Man Noir #5
Eternals #1
Eternals #2

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite

Batman #101
Batman #102

Nightwing #70-75  - Whew! I can understand why people were so upset with this “Ric Grayson” stuff.  Yuck!  At least this tie-in put an end to that.  Patiently waiting for the new creative team when issue 78 rolls out on DC Infinite.

Catwoman #25 - Joker War Tie-In - And so that’s how they did it.  Not a necessary read on how Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin got the money back for the Joker War story in Batman. But a nice showing for those of us who wanted a little more detail.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 03:30:02 PM »

Perry (or anyone) is Nightwing 80 the place to really start?

Jimmy - I believe it’s issue 78 that the new creative team starts but I could be wrong.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS