HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:24:44 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Immortal Hulk #50 is the official series finale  (Read 3005 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: May 18, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »

The Hulk may be immortal, but his title Immortal Hulk is not, as the fan-and-critical darling is, as expected, now announced to end with Immortal Hulk #50.

Immortal Hulk #50 has long been believed to be the planned endpoint for the title, though series writer Al Ewing has been somewhat cagey about nailing down the specifics until now.

This year will see the climactic end to one of the most critically acclaimed runs in recent history: Al Ewing and Joe Bennett’s IMMORTAL HULK," reads Marvel's announcement. "Closing out this thought-provoking, character redefining epic with IMMORTAL HULK #50, Ewing and Bennett will bid farewell to Bruce Banner, the Green Door, and all the unforgettable elements they’ve cemented into the Hulk mythos."

Before #50 closes out the saga, however, August's Immortal Hulk #49 will set the stage for the big finale. Marvel has released Alex Ross's final cover for the series, along with the ominous tagline "The end is near."

There are plenty of surprises still in store and fans will want to pick up IMMORTAL HULK #49 where the build-up to the explosive final issue begins with a bang!" Marvel's announcement continues.

That tagline, "The end is near," alludes to the title's impending conclusion, but it may also mean something much bigger for Bruce Banner/Hulk. Ewing's Immortal Hulk has centered on the idea that all Gamma mutates, Hulk included, are subject to resurrection every time they die, no matter how brutal or complete the circumstances of their demise.

But to do so, they must pass through the Green Door, which is actually a series of portals to a dimension where Gamma radiation seemingly mixes with mysticism, and the evil One Below All lurks. Could the Green Door now be closing? If so, that would mean Immortal Hulk the title isn't the only thing ending, but the concept of Hulk's immortality as well.

"It's finally time to admit it - IMMORTAL HULK is reaching the end of the story we set out to tell,” Ewing states in Marvel's announcement. “Issue #49 brings jade-jaws to the gates of the abyss and a final accounting of his life - in time for a last issue you'll have to experience to believe.

"Immortal Hulk #49 goes on sale on August 4. This presumably indicates that Immortal Hulk #50, the series finale, will be out in September, providing the title maintains a monthly schedule through the end.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:14:55 PM »

Yep, "planned" ending with a restart starring She-Hulk (we believe ... with no evidence for that what-so-ever that I have seen)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »

Yep, "planned" ending with a restart starring She-Hulk (we believe ... with no evidence for that what-so-ever that I have seen)

I hadn't heard that. I love She-Hulk.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »

Right? If the rumor is true, I am also very happy to read it. Her one-shot from a couple months ago that tied into this "Immortal Hulk" stuff was pretty good, if not much more than another look at her origin.

But I will be there for it, even if it doesn't but especially if it has the same creative team (which again, I don't know that is the case either ...  Grin)

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 07:01:34 PM »

I hope that rumor is true. LOVED the post-Empyre one-shot.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 08:01:06 PM »

I would love a Ewing-Bennett She-Hulk!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »

I hope that rumor is true. LOVED the post-Empyre one-shot.

Me as well (wow, has it been that long? ... crazy)

I would love a Ewing-Bennett She-Hulk!

Yeah, right?!?!?! Sadly I just saw that the rumor may be bullshit as it seems the FCBD issue of She-Hulk (is that hyphenated?) will be written by Zdarsky.
 Undecided
Now that doesn't mean Chip WILL be the writer of Jennifer's exploits, but Marvel usually has the FCBD issue set up the new creative ... as a sneak peek so ....
Oh, and I don't mean that "smiley face" to be a slam at Zdarsky, I like his writing, but with him (if past work is any indication) his run will most likely be more of the Byrne or Slott style of Jennifer (humor more than horror) and I really wanted the new series to kinda follow the way of her cousin.
But that may not have been the best thing either, as it may fall into the "been there" category. But if that one shot was any indication, the more non-funny She Hulk (is that hyphenated?  Grin) was a fine thing indeed.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 03:50:59 AM »

To be restarted as the Incredible Hulk one month later! Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 03:19:22 PM »

Timing-wise, this probably ties in with WWSH in the Avengers title.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS