HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:04:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - Cinco de Mayo 2021!  (Read 2913 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 05, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Hopefully I’ll do a better job getting through the list this week!

Marvel Unlimited
Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #1
Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #2
X-Factor #6
Hellions #8
Mauraders #17
S.W.O.R.D. #2
Cable #7
New Mutants #15
X-Force # 16
Excalibur #17
Wolverine #9
X-Men #17
Chris Claremont Anniversary Special #1

ComiXology Unlimited
Injustice: Gods Among Us #17
Injustice: Gods Among Us #18
Injustice: Gods Among Us #19
Injustice: Gods Among Us #20
Injustice: Gods Among Us #21
Injustice: Gods Among Us #22
Injustice: Gods Among Us #23
Injustice: Gods Among Us #24
We3 TPB - Collects issues #1-3

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24
The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25
The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752
The Green Lantern Season Two #3
The Green Lantern Season Two #4

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 12:05:00 AM »

Batman #108
Crime Syndicate #3
Heroes Reborn #1
Marauders #20
Suicide Squad #3
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 02:35:31 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Factor #6
Hellions #8
Mauraders #17
S.W.O.R.D. #2
Cable #7
New Mutants #15
X-Force # 16
Excalibur #17
Wolverine #9
X-Men #17

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24

The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25
The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

Injustice: Gods Among Us #17-24 - Fortunately, these are a fast read.  Great story and feels like the first time I’ve read it since my old man brain has forgotten what all happens.  These issues have the formation of Batman’s team and the attack by Apocalypse troops in them.  Really good stuff.

We3 TPB - Collects issues #1-3 - This has to be Quitley’s BEST art ever.  Great story and a must read.  Especially for an animal lover like myself.  Morrison at his very best.

Justice League Dark #23 & 24 - looks like we’re finally heading down the road towards wrapping up the Upside Down Man storyline.  I’m not enjoying this as much as I used to but I want to see it through to the end.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:34 AM »

We3 TPB - Collects issues #1-3 - This has to be Quitley’s BEST art ever.  Great story and a must read.

Yes. So good

Especially for an animal lover like myself.

Yes, but so sad

Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Factor #6
Hellions #8
Mauraders #17
S.W.O.R.D. #2
Cable #7
New Mutants #15
X-Force # 16
Excalibur #17
Wolverine #9
X-Men #17

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24

The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25

The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

The Terrifics #21-23 - Ugh. This has gotten terrible.  I’m going to finish out this arc and then I’m done.

Hawkman #24 & 25 - This on the other hand just stays at the top of the game.  Great new arc. Finally bringing everything full circle.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »

Hawkman #24 & 25 - This on the other hand just stays at the top of the game. 

I miss it so much
 Cry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 12:28:53 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
X-Factor #6
Hellions #8
Mauraders #17
S.W.O.R.D. #2
Cable #7

New Mutants #15
X-Force # 16
Excalibur #17
Wolverine #9
X-Men #17

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24

The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25

The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

X-Factor #6 - Let the culling begin.  I’m done with this title.  It’s just not any good.

Hellions #8 - And this one is next.   Not any good either.

Mauraders #17 - an ok issue setting things up for the upcoming Hellfire gala.  This one is still enjoyable.

S.W.O.R.D. #2 - Better than the first issue but marred by being part of the King in Black event.  I’ll give it a few more issues as the trend is moving up.

Cable #7 - Still good and the new arc is promising.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 09:30:46 PM »

X-Factor #6 - Let the culling begin. 

Yeppers.

I am only reading X-Men, Marauders, Wolverine (to stay up on the character) and Cable ... until its cancellation at #12 ... which I will replace with Way of X.

Four X-related titles are plenty for me ... at least until Hickman's new one is released and it will jump to 5 titles Cheesy Maybe 6 if Leah Williams has a good pitch.  Cheesy Cheesy Although I may be over that Marauders title by then
 Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 03:34:05 PM »

Slow week ... reading wise.

Marjorie Finnegan: Temporal Criminal #1 - Garth Ennis new eight issue mini from AWA. Decent enough but not sure if I will get issue #2 or wait until its done and get it all. It was, again, decent enough, but time does play into this story and sometimes (most times with me  Grin) being able to read it all in one or two sittings sits better with the old noggin. Eh, depends on what else hits that week it comes out I guess.

Shadowman #1 - Is this worth it? Can't yet say, but it is a better take (so far) than the last two attempts with the character. Davis-Hunts art is a little too clean for the title (I like my evil/hell/demon/ titles to be a little darker than bright, but I seem to have an issue with light everywhere lately so ...
 Cheesy

Batman: The Detective #1 - Another Tom Taylor mini that I had to try. Set in Merry old Britain as well? Yes, please!! decent start and enjoy the art by Andy (the better) Kubert and I think I will be on this for the run. (Anyone try that new Legends of the Dark Knight yet?) Heck, looking ahead, I may also look into that new Zdarsky's Justice League mini starting soon

MU Stuff

X-Men #17 - Brett Booth art is ... yeah, better than it had been. I think there was a cessation notice given by the Marvel editors regarding his angled panels.  Grin And what is up with
the X-Factor looking costumes? If it wasn't for the Krakoan gates I would have thought this was a "in the past" issue  Grin
I enjoyed them, but just wasn't expecting them. Hope they stick!

Strange Academy #7 - Well we knew he was going to be okay, but uh-oh ... I see a problem on the horizon from that touch!  Grin

King in Black #2
Venom #32
- Keeping these together as they are the same thing for the most part. At least they can be read together and I like it that way, so  Tongue  Grin Story is of course, just par for the course in a long history of these.  Undecided

Black Cat #2 - This could easily be included with the two above, but this story is also nicely read on its own and stands on its own merit. Sure it does its thing on the periphery of what's going on so that's good, but also it is intermixed. Pretty cool

Amazing Spider-Man #116 (1973) - Enter the Smasher. YAWN  Grin A big "ten foot tall" goon of little importance. Big story here, for me was Pete getting back together with Gwen, even though the break-up was not really a break up. So weird to see Mary Jane as just a friend, just a background character in Pete's love life. She was such a part of his life when I was older and really into this title. Let's not forget, this stuff came out when I was first getting into comics, around 6 years old. I read these, I bought them (most of them) but I didn't understand what I was truly reading half the time back then. Funny how somethings never change.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Defenders #3 (1972) - Not sure what was going on with Sal here, but the art was not really a draw (forgive the expression when discussing art  Cheesy) I think during this time he is doing 3 books, maybe (I know he is penciling Cap and looking fantastic doing it), so probably just rushing this title that will not make it past 5 issues. A title that was just created to finish the storyline from (the recently canceled) Doctor Strange title Cheesy Also notice Jim Mooney was inking this, as well as the Amazing Spiderman isssue above. Damn the output that those guys could do compared to these wanna-be's today
 Wink

Captain America #157 (1973) - Sal is doing some serious great work here. Man, the more I see the more I love. The story is fair, but this art is knocking my Pirate boots right off!! I did enjoy the Viper however. Wonder if he shows up more soon. I mean other than the next issue of this and before his name is claimed by the female "Viper"  Grin Is he in the Serpent Society?

Fantastic Four #129 (1972) - The Frightful Four attack Ben!! Helped by ex-Frightful member herself, Medusa, can Ben hold off this group that now features the powerful Thundra!?!? No. No he can't. But I'm sure he will be fine, yeah?  Grin Plus, what do parents need most when they are having an argument? To have your witch of a nanny, Agatha Harkness, call to say she can no longer watch the infant son Franklin and they must come get him now! Oh and Johnny gets mad? Whaaaat?
 Grin
Great stuff this issue by all involved: Roy Thomas, John Buscema and Joe Sinnott!!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 11:00:12 PM »

Those are great covers Perry!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 12:58:48 AM »

I agree!  I especially like the Fantastic Four one!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 01:02:32 AM »

Marvel Unlimited

X-Factor #6
Hellions #8
Mauraders #17
S.W.O.R.D. #2
Cable #7

New Mutants #15
X-Force # 16
Excalibur #17
Wolverine #9
X-Men #17

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24

The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25

The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

X-Force # 16 - Good issue.  I like the surprise guest star and it made sense.  Beast is still un-beast like but I’m ignoring that and enjoying this for the most part.

New Mutants #15 - And another one bites the dust.  I can’t take this art anymore.  Despite my love for these characters I have to move on. 

Excalibur #17 - Culling this one as well.  Another one where I like a lot of the characters but I’ve never cared of the Otherworld stories.  I wish they would have left Betsy as Psylocke.  She was so much more interesting then.

Wolverine #9 - This one stays. Enjoying the revisit with the Weapon X crew and good to see Maverick again.

X-Men #17 - The best of the bunch...as it should be.  I really like Booth’s art.  This title should get very cool once they finalize the team.  But in the meantime this was fun.  Enjoyed being in Shiar space again and loved Cyclops and Jean in their old X-Factor uniforms.

Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #1 & 2 - This was fun. Each issue has three short stories in it.  The art is in black and white but anywhere there is blood, it is colored red. I enjoyed  these and will keep picking it up.

Chris Claremont Anniversary Special #1 - Well this was kind of lame.  On the one hand it was an interesting homage to Claremont stories past as seen through Dani Moonstar’s eyes. On the other hand, it just wasn’t that good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 12:01:14 PM »

Yeah and what surprises me is how much I love the old Box Covers of that era. Where you don't get a full cover of art, you get like a 7x7 area. Makes it look like a panel in the comic. Nowthe Spidey issue is the only one of this lot to maintain the rules of the "box", so it isn't as obvious in the others, but I still like the design of them. No idea why I like the idea of "limiting" the art space, but I think the "it looks like a panel" process is the reason.

I agree!  I especially like the Fantastic Four one!

Me too!!  Grin But that doesn't diminish what that Cap cover does for me  Cheesy
The Defenders one, to me, is the least successful, but I think the reason for that is the rule (I forgot what editor demanded/asked for it now ... maybe Roy Thomas?) that the heroes should never be going away from the reader on the cover? We see Hulks back and that was a no-no for ... whatever editor ... hell ... maybe it was Shooter? I mean Thomas was editor at this time, but ... maybe the rule was a suggestion? Or maybe I dreamed it
 Cheesy

EDIT - I had to jump off and try and find that "rule" if I could. I couldn't  Cheesy I know I read about it, must have been in my beloved Back Issue Magazine. I guess
 Undecided

Wolverine #9 - This one stays.

Shocking  Wink Just kidding. It was my favorite ... ummm ... least annoying of Percy's run yet!  Grin

Wolverine: Black, White, & Blood #1 & 2 - This was fun. Each issue has three short stories in it.  The art is in black and white but anywhere there is blood, it is colored red. I enjoyed  these and will keep picking it up.

Yah, I love the anthology feel and the look, which got big after that Harley run. Works better here with the "blood" aspect I think. Not saying the Harley stuff was bad, it looked cool and the red was used with artistic panache, but something about having the blood be the red sells this better, I think.

Chris Claremont Anniversary Special #1 - Well this was kind of lame.  On the one hand it was an interesting homage to Claremont stories past as seen through Dani Moonstar’s eyes. On the other hand, it just wasn’t that good.

Tried to read some Claremont a few years back. OMG what a chore.
Dude was influential as hell to the success of the X, not taking that way from him, but dear lord he was wordy as hell, way too much slang that is dated and he stomped on every artist with his over descriptive wording, describing every facet of the panel instead of trusting his artist to show us what he wanted us to know or trusting us to understand what the art was saying. 
Its the same reason I can't read Stan Lee's stuff. Just shut-up and let the art do some of the storytelling man!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 12:16:22 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 07:21:48 PM »

Marvel Unlimited

X-Factor #6
Hellions #8
Mauraders #17
S.W.O.R.D. #2
Cable #7

New Mutants #15
X-Force # 16
Excalibur #17
Wolverine #9
X-Men #17

ComiXology Unlimited

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24

The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25

The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

The Flash #750-752 - I didn’t think I’d like a story with this new Paradox villain but it has gotten interesting. I especially enjoyed issue 752. 

The Green Lantern Season Two #3 & 4 - I didn’t really like issue 3.  Issue 4 was more Morrison weirdness but it had a Flash team-up!  Next issue has promise according to the cliff hanger.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS