HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 09:04:48 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Superman & The Authority  (Read 2787 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: May 01, 2021, 12:58:48 AM »

Borrowed from Newsarama...

Iconic Superman writer Grant Morrison revisits the Man of Steel along with a new version of the Wildstorm superteam

Grant Morrison is returning to Superman.

This is not a drill.

Morrison, the writer of the contemporary instant-classic All Star Superman is returning to pen new stories about the Man of Steel in the new four-issue Superman and The Authority.

The limited series - with art by Mikel Janín - launches in July as part of a minor rejiggering of the core in-continuity Superman titles that month that includes the launch of the Supergirl: World of Tomorrow limited series.

Morrison and Janín's story picks up on the recent goings-on in writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson's Action Comics.

"If Superman is to free the prisoners of Warworld, he’s going to need help, the kind of help that doesn't scream 'Justice League,'" reads DC's description.

According to the publisher, the multi-Eisner Award-winning writer and fan-favorite artist have the solution in the form of a new iteration of the Authority led by Manchester Black, along with original Authority members Midnighter and Apollo, new members culled from the DCU proper Enchantress and Natasha Irons, as well as new versions of Lightray (of the New Gods) and O.M.A.C.

"This new team will have to learn to work together, and fast, as the Ultra-Humanite has formed his own team of villains to take out the Man of Steel," continues DC's description.

The publisher also says the new limited series will help launch an "all-new status quo" for Superman, setting up story elements that will impact both Action Comics and Superman: Son of Kal-El (the retitled Superman title that gets a new writer and a new focus starting in July) for the foreseeable future.

Superman and The Authority is something of a multiple homecoming for Morrison. In addition to their revered, Eisner Award-winning 2005 All-Star Superman series, considered by many (including Newsarama) as one of the greatest Superman stories ever written, Morrison was the writer of the relaunched Action Comics with artist Rags Morales as part of DC's 2011 line-wide 'The New 52 ' reboot.

Morrison of course also wrote Superman as part of their equally-revered late '90s JLA run.

Morrison's history with The Authority is a little more truncated. In late 2006 Morrison launched volume 3 of the series with artist Gene Ha in what was intended to be a significant relaunch for it and original Wildstorm title WildC.A.T.S., which Morrison also wrote for artist Jim Lee.

Only one issue of the relaunched WildC.A.T.S. and two issues of The Authority were ever released, with Morrison later explaining at 2008's New York Comic-Con "Authority was just a disaster."

After the series began running late and Morrison became heavily involved with the DC year-along weekly series 52, when they saw the less-than-rave reviews to the first issue of The Authority, "I said f*** it."

Morrison's planned storyline was later scripted by Keith Giffen for 2008's The Authority: The Lost Year.

Superman and The Authority #1 (of 4) goes on sale July 20th.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 01:07:31 AM »

Hearing that the last couple of Action Comics issues, that will eventually lead to this, is pretty darn good. Not sure I am sold on THAT particular aspect of Supes, but I will be giving this a go for sure.
This had me at the name Janin more than Morrison, but his name doesn't hurt either ... especially in a mini series. I tend to enjoy (comprehend Cheesy) Morrison's stuff better in shorter runs.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 05:43:24 AM »

Hearing that the last couple of Action Comics issues, that will eventually lead to this, is pretty darn good. Not sure I am sold on THAT particular aspect of Supes, but I will be giving this a go for sure.
This had me at the name Janin more than Morrison, but his name doesn't hurt either ... especially in a mini series. I tend to enjoy (comprehend Cheesy) Morrison's stuff better in shorter runs.

His appearance and look is leaning toward Kingdom Come and I am anxious to see this version of Flash from Tangent.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »

I’m in.  I like the Superman look and a Morrison mini I can get on board for.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 04:42:03 AM »

Grant Morrison AND Superman together again? I'm sold. I mean, him and Apollo together? There is going to be some power craziness going on!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 05:29:10 AM »

2 issues on Infinite; ramp it up, Grant! Bring it to me! I don't think it's a long running title, is it?

Wait, 4 issues only? But I need MORE

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 01:25:30 PM »

2 issues on Infinite; ramp it up, Grant! Bring it to me! I don't think it's a long running title, is it?

Wait, 4 issues only? But I need MORE

Sadly, only four issues. Never read the Authority on a regular basis, but LOVE this version of Superman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS