HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:13:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 28, 2021  (Read 2310 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 28, 2021, 02:27:07 AM »

Getting a jump start on comic book day!

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Marvel #1
Marvel #2
Marvel #3
Marvels Snapshots: Spider-Man #1
Marvels Snapshots: Avengers #1
Marvels Snapshots: Civil War #1
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #6
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #7
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #8
Doctor Aphra #5
Doctor Aphra #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #4
Injustice: Gods Among Us #13
Injustice: Gods Among Us #14
Injustice: Gods Among Us #15
Injustice: Gods Among Us #16
Injustice: Gods Among Us #17
Injustice: Gods Among Us #18
Injustice: Gods Among Us #19
Injustice: Gods Among Us #20
Injustice: Gods Among Us #21
We3 TPB - Collects issues #1-3

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24
The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25
The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752
The Green Lantern Season Two #3
The Green Lantern Season Two #4

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 09:46:33 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Marvel #1
Marvel #2
Marvel #3

So glad Marvel delayed the next series of this "Marvels" (with an 's' and no 'x') until later. I think "Marvels" hits in June now, but Marvel was literally going to have:
Marvels X
Marvel
Marvel Snapshot
and
Marvels ...  all come out near the same time, originally.

Busiek (I think it was ... damn brain) wrote on Twitter that he didn't understand the confusion. He (or they, whomever it was) could have been kidding, and most likely were, but still I replied with something along the
 line of -
Are you kidding me? You have four titles with the same 6 letters in a row, with most being only a one letter variance and you did get why people are confused?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »

Action #1030
Batman Beyond #49 (still looking for issue 50)
Batman/Superman #17
Detective #1035
Helm Greycastle (trying something new)
Miles Morales: Spider-Man #25
New Mutants #17
Robin #1
Teen Titans Academy #2
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »

... I think "Marvels" hits in June now ....

Or Yesterday. Hahaha

June ... April ... close enough   Undecided
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 11:56:22 AM »

Okay, first off, let me say this now ... sorry Jeff.  

Oh this is good but ... yeah, sorry man.
Okay, I'm not coming close to Jeff's impressive list for this week (Dude is a beast!!) but lets see what we get accomplished anyway.
 Smiley

[Edit- Gonna go ahead and add what I hope to get to this week

MU
Immortal Hulk #11
Immortal Hulk #12
Immortal Hulk #13
King in Black #2
Black Cat #2
Shang-Chi #1 (2020)
Amazing Spider-Man #115 (1972)
Strange Academy #7
Wolverine #9
Fantastic Four #28
New Mutants #14 (maybe?)

DCI
Batman #101

DC
Robin #1 (maybe? Can I get two 'son of Bat' books?)

Other
Sea of Sorrow #5
Shadowman #1 (Maybe? Try once again? Cullen Bunn on as writer now and art by Jon Davis-Hunt doesn't hurt the odds)

/edit]
 Wink Cheesy

Lets get this week started with all MU stuff -

King in Black #1 - Okay, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe this was not as impactful as it COULD have been to me because I had just read three issues of Immortal Hulk and enjoyed so much of what that occurred in those pages between Hulk and the Avengers, and it was very similar to what happened here, but ... but .... on the other hand maybe my boys at the LCS just were wrong with this one (It could happen  Cheesy).
Okay, there is nothing truly 'wrong' with this (other than the usually complaints about Tie-Ins ... although the Hulk one, that is not yet up on MU I don't believe, was still pretty good), but yeah, nothing here that makes me eyes bleed or my mind go comatose, but just another average fighty-fight book so far. I do love the ideas here, the way this formed and all is actually really cool ... especially with the Celestials part (which if you haven't been reading Venom, don't worry, they do a great job of giving you both a recap and character intros/bios/how they play into story inside this book) but yeah, read it, don't read it, either way.

Immortal Hulk #7
Immortal Hulk #8
Immortal Hulk #9
- Look, lets just say that there will always be spoilers on in my comments about this re-read, okay.  Cheesy That said ... Issue #7 was fantastic! Loved that Avengers v Hulk story. The way Ghost Rider (they damn stupid ass one  Angry) got his ass, and his car, thrown into that house was great direction. I mean we are not shown, we are told about the alarm, we see the family and then BAM!!! Wonderful!!!And I could see the panel we weren't shown were Hulk ... or "Devil Hulk (still not a fan of that name) threw that car while saying
"Get outta here you dumb ass, worthless character that should have never been created, much less been allowed onto the Avengers!"
(no? Yeah, probably not, but damn that is what I pictured)
So damn good. All of this. All of these issues. Absorbing Man and the mouse? Holy shit that was awesome! Not the result, but just ... yeah ... you know what I mean. So good.
They say that Hickman has turned the X-Men into something to talk about and that this is the biggest change since Giant-Size X-Men, and I can see that ... Hell, I agree with that, but for pure enjoyment and F'n "Legendary Runs" ... give me this title (and Thor Wink) all day long and thrice on Sunday!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:37:07 PM by Perry » Logged

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »

Went back for bags and boards and ended up with:

Future State: Suicide Squad #2 (don't hate me, but I was curious about the origin of Bolt from the Teen Titans Academy).
Marvels #1
New Teen Titans #23 (the original series from 1980)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 03:41:13 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Marvel #1
Marvel #2
Marvel #3

Doctor Aphra #5
Doctor Aphra #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #4

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24
The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25
The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

Marvels X #5 & 6 - the finale for this revisit of the Earth X world.  I enjoyed it and found it interesting.

Marvel #1-3 - Not terrible but not great either.  Bunch of single stories wrapped in a telling by Nightmare to a captured Dr. Strange.  I’ll finish it out if for no other reason than to see how Dr Strange finally escapes.  The Namor short story in issue #3 is terrible, by the way.

Marvels Snapshots: Spider-Man #1 - THIS I liked a lot.  Funny story from the two-bit hood point of view.

Marvels Snapshots: Avengers #1 - Not bad.  Started out weak, got better, and ended well.  View of the Avengers from a cop and paramedics perspective.

Marvels Snapshots: Civil War #1 - nice little story about a SHIELD agent during Civil War struggling with his loyalty and what the right thing to do is.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 02:43:22 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Marvel #1
Marvel #2
Marvel #3

Doctor Aphra #5
Doctor Aphra #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #4

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24
The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25
The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #6-8 - The close of one arc only opens up the start of a new one.  Still enjoying this.

Doctor Aphra #5 & 6 - the end of the first arc which was just ok.  Start of the second arc looks promising.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 03:29:07 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Marvel #1
Marvel #2
Marvel #3

Doctor Aphra #5
Doctor Aphra #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #4

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #23
Justice League Dark #24
The Terrifics #21
The Terrifics #22
The Terrifics #23
Hawkman #24
Hawkman #25
The Flash #750
The Flash #751
The Flash #752

Crimson Flower #4 - what a depressing ending.  Story overall was ok. The art however killed it for me.

Injustice: Gods Among Us #13-16 - Oof! Just when you thought it couldn’t get much darker.  A painful death that will likely only make things worse between the two sides.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 11:26:00 AM »

MU
King in Black #2
Black Cat #2
Shang-Chi #1 (2020)
Strange Academy #7
Wolverine #9
Fantastic Four #28
New Mutants #14 (maybe?)

DCI
Batman #101

Other
Sea of Sorrow #5
Shadowman #1

Robin #1 - Went ahead and gave this a try. Luckily it was a decent enough story with art that I liked more than I thought I would. Even more luckily however is the fact that I don't feel the need to add this to my get asap list, like I do with Nightwing.

Immortal Hulk #11
Immortal Hulk #12
Immortal Hulk #13
- Just rollin' along in Hell with the green goliath  Grin Him and his daddy issues  Wink

Amazing Spider-Man #115 (1972) - Got to hate when your own aunt pulls a gun on ya!  Cheesy This is where May goes to work for Doc Oc, unaware of course of who and what he truly is. After Spidey regains consciousness (from last issue being hit over the head by his own Aunt May  Cheesy), he beats Hammer-Head and his goons, and defeats Doc Oc (while battling through another ulcer flare up), but then May pulls a gun on Spidey (Unaware of who and what he is as well) so Web-Head bounces. Later, Spidey comes back to the same location, but this time as Pete, and May tells him that he is a big boy now and can start taking care of himself. She is staying here, taking care of the poor good doctor!
This can only be a prelude to the infamous May/Oc wedding!!!

King in Black #1
Immortal Hulk #7
Immortal Hulk #8
Immortal Hulk #9

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 01:05:08 PM »

Man I hate making those lists and coming up so short. Oh well, I got a couple more in last night at least

Wolverine #9 - Probably my favorite issue by writer Percy, not so much as the story was so well done, but I didn't have too much to bitch about with this issue. There were still some things, but luckily (or the opposite of that actually) I read the latest F.F issue before this and man, that made this issue seem so much better.

Fantastic Four #28 - Well, it was fun while it lasted ... all of two issues. Last issue I started to see some of the stuff Slott writes that bug the hell out of me and this issue multiplies all of those problems and then adds to it. I'm gonna call it out, reading this issue is like reading comics from 1972. It is written for 10 year old kids. Period. The way the villains do nothing, the way action only happens when we are reading about it, the dialog, the ease of escape the ... AARRRGHHH. Look, if this brings kids back to comics, great, but it isn't going to. No kid is currently foaming at the mouth to read an F.F book like I was back in the day. This is 1970's Marvel and on the surface that sounds cool, but what makes those older comics great, those from 50 years ago or so is that:
A) Nostalgia is the driving force
B) Can be quite fun reading about past encounters
C) They are almost 50 years old

When you read that stuff today, with todays timeline and most current writer's aptitude and style, it just reads bad. For example, in this issue, three of the four are in these bubbles that are making them live their worst nightmare over and over (or how they die ... whatever it was). They are trapped!! But then, Johnny and ... someone else ... merely walks into the bubbles and then proceeds to just walk out of the bubble ... with the people that were trapped in the F'n bubble?!?!?! Oh, you have to read this to see more of the problems, I am done with it. Done!
 Angry Angry

Robin #1

King in Black #1
Immortal Hulk #7
Immortal Hulk #8
Immortal Hulk #9
Immortal Hulk #10

Immortal Hulk #11
Immortal Hulk #12
Immortal Hulk #13

Amazing Spider-Man #115 (1972)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS