HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:33:10 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 14, 2021  (Read 3898 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 14, 2021, 12:55:04 PM »

Looking forward to a lot of these this week!

Marvel Unlimited
Atlantis Attacks #5
Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place #1
Immortal Hulk #38
Immortal Hulk #39
Immortal Hulk #40
Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5
Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2
M.O.D.O.K.: Head #1
M.O.D.O.K.: Head #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Barbalien: Red Planet #5
Black Hammer: Visions #3
Crimson Flower #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl #5
Rorschach #7
Seven Secrets #7
Injustice: Gods Among Us #1
Injustice: Gods Among Us #2
Injustice: Gods Among Us #3
Injustice: Gods Among Us #4
Injustice: Gods Among Us #5
Injustice: Gods Among Us #6

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20
Batman #92
Batman Secret Files #3
Joker 80th Anniversary 100 Page Super Spectacular #1
The Batman’s Grave #6
The Batman’s Grave #7
The Green Lantern Season Two #1
The Green Lantern Season Two #2

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

Still reading a few leftovers from last week, but picked up:

Batman the Detective #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #13
Joker #2
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 01:28:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Atlantis Attacks #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Immortal Hulk #39
Immortal Hulk #40

Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5
Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #3
Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl #5
Rorschach #7
Seven Secrets #7

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20
Batman #92
Batman Secret Files #3
The Batman’s Grave #6
The Batman’s Grave #7

Atlantis Attacks #5 - I’d almost forgotten this story was going on.  Decent ending to what will likely be a forgettable story.  Love seeing the old Agents of Atlas together. Just wish it had centered around them.

Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place #1 - Nice little one shot by Jeff Lemire.  Pretty by the numbers plot but a nice getaway still.

Immortal Hulk #38-40 - Oh yeah! Last page of issue #40 “You know what time it is?” Yes I do!  Can’t wait to read the next issue.  More creepy greatness in these three issues as we fight the villain in the mindscape.  Never a dull issue with this series.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 02:28:00 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Atlantis Attacks #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Immortal Hulk #39
Immortal Hulk #40

Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5
Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #3

Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl #5
Rorschach #7
Seven Secrets #7

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22

The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20
Batman #92
Batman Secret Files #3
The Batman’s Grave #6
The Batman’s Grave #7

Barbalien: Red Planet #5 - So glad this is over. Obvious ending which was quite boring because of it’s obviousness.  No surprises here.

Black Hammer: Visions #3 - Abraham Slam one shot.  Not bad. A by the numbers story of aging super hero.  But enjoyable still.

Crimson Flower #3 - Ugh.  I decided to drop this because I just can’t stand the art.  But the cliff hanger promises the answers next issue!  I guess I’m here fir one more.

Justice League Dark #21 & 22 - More horroresque story as the Rot brings back some Swamp Thing characters.  Not a big fan of the Parliament’s of Life but they service the story.  Still enjoying this book.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:23:37 PM »

Immortal Hulk #38-40 - Oh yeah! Last page of issue #40 “You know what time it is?” Yes I do!  

You know you know it!!!  Grin
"It's ....."

<--------

Cheesy  Grin

Barbalien: Red Planet #5 - So glad this is over.

Like I explained, I stopped after issue #2. So unfortunate. Not a good story. It wasn't the subject matter, of course, just the damn ... everything else.  Undecided

Black Hammer: Visions #3 - Abraham Slam one shot.  Not bad. A by the numbers story of aging super hero.  But enjoyable still.

Hoping it hits for me half as much as it did you.

Justice League Dark #21 & 22 - More horroresque story as the Rot brings back some Swamp Thing characters.  Not a big fan of the Parliament’s of Life but they service the story.  Still enjoying this book.

Not sure why I left this. I guess I just forgot to come back? Maybe?

What I did remember to read ...

Sword #1 - Okay, I finished this last week, but forgot to put it in there. I gave this another go and although Ewing is fine, I just find I don't care, at all, about anyone here on this station. May peek in from time to time, but so far just sticking with X-Men, Marauders, Cable and ... well ... for some reason, Wolverine  Wink Grin for my mutant needs

Thor #14 - Oh yeah, loved the ending, but I think it happened way, way to fast. I think we will all agree on this. That is the only thing I didn't enjoy. The build up didn't equal the finale.

Marvel Team-Up #5 (1972) - Another title I actually read last week, but hey, just throwing it up here. Vision and Spidey go up against the Puppet Master (taking a break from being the fly in the F.F's Vaseline to bother these two guys) and it goes as expected. Even with the help of a robot ...erm, I mean "Monstroid" ... being used by the evil puppeteer.
Ha "Evil Puppeteer" just doesn't have the same fear inducing quality as it did in the late 60's me thinks Grin

Defenders #1 (1972) - Now this was much better than the three issues featuring this team prior to getting their own title (Marvel Feature be thy name). And hey, the smart panels work, so that makes this even more enjoyable. Love the Hulk stuff in this one. The "Wake up Namor! Hulk is here!" bit alone is just awesome sauce. Sal Buscema does double duty drawing this title and the Cap issues so yeah, old school kudos to him. Can you image a modern day artist doing even one title a month?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:26:50 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 10:13:55 PM »

Sword #1 - Okay, I finished this last week, but forgot to put it in there. I gave this another go and although Ewing is fine, I just find I don't care, at all, about anyone here on this station. May peek in from time to time, but so far just sticking with X-Men, Marauders, Cable and ... well ... for some reason, Wolverine   ;Dfor my mutant needs
 Grin

I hung out for the first three issues but totally agree. I just don't care about these characters. The Hellions book and the latest X-Factor are just as bad. I am going to give X-Corps a try next month.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »

I am going to give X-Corps a try next month.

Hope its good, would like to see Angel (the OG, not Captain Wings o'Knives) succeed and be relevant again. He's been lost for years it seems. But then again, I missed a lot of X stuff so ...

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 09:07:52 PM »

Gotta report my reading list!

Amazing Spider-man 53-56, and all the .1 issues too: The .1 issues of Last Remains were dumb. I truly could not, did not 'read' them entirely. I saw events, got some dialogue I wanted, and skipped them. Loved seeing Bagley on this work. I'm ...above lukewarm, I think, on how I view this entirely. I guess I Liked it...ish.

Daredevil 24-25-Still diggin this huge opus by Zdarsky on Daredevil. And yes, I would agree if anyone asks that it does feel a little bit like we've read something like this before....

Maestro 4-5: Give me PAD on any Hulk work every week of the year! I dug this a lot!

Juggernaut 3 & 4- okay, cool, seeing how Marko has become Juggy again, and with what that means against Cyttorak himself.

Thor 10 & 11: Wow, this is big and fun and epic feeling too. Thor is such a winning title!!

USAgent 2: I wish George Jeanty wasn't drawing this. His loose renderings in backgrounds of shots and in large pictures just bugs me. It's a mess. Give me Priest any day on a regular USAgent title!!

Immortal HUlk 41 and Hulk in Black or whatever the tie in nonsense is-HULK IS GREATEST THERE IS . that is all

Ugh. I put King in Black on my read list. I already hate the idea.

Dark Metal #3-plot happens, objectives created, lets go! (looks at checklist) this is so LONG!
Death Metall Legends of Dark Knights-okya, more variant evil Batmen. check

Hawkman 26 and 27-The JSA live!! GlEEE!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »

Ugh. I put King in Black on my read list. I already hate the idea.

I heard, and this may not be the case for everyone  Grin, that if you only read the main mini (and Venom possibly for extra stuff ... as it is a Venom centric event), it is a pretty decent event. However much like every single damn event, the over use, the saturation of the event through almost all monthly titles as well as the abundance of other worthless tie-in minis make it ... again, like all events ... just too damn much. You (not Jimmy "you", but you as the average reader "you") get so mad going in, just thinking of how much you have seen, will see of the King in Black label, that you automatically have a chip on your shoulder before you even begin.

I can totally get that and that is why I am not going to read this for about a year.  Cheesy Cheesy When I go back and read Venom (Yeah, in about a year  Cheesy sure, Perry Cheesy) I will include this 5 issue mini in that collection. Not diving in anytime soon.

Hawkman 26 and 27-The JSA live!! GlEEE!!!

Oh so sad. The end is right around the corner from there
 Sad

Couldn't sleep for crap last night, so I decided to get some books I have been wanting to read. One of which was The Silver Coin. An anthology horror title that will have stories written by Zdarsky, Ed Brisson, Jeff Lemire and Kelly Thompson. I mean how could I not try this? The first issue has a Zdarsky's rock guitarist story that I looked forward to reading last night, but after reading all these other titles below, I got too tired to start it last night  Angry Cheesy and thus yeah, I STILL look forward to reading it.
 Cheesy

Black Hammer: Visions #3 - Jeff summed it up perfectly when he said ...

... Not bad. A by the numbers story of aging super hero.  But enjoyable still.

Yep, agree. And that means for me, better than the last two, but still not getting the value and enjoyment I had hoped for  Sad

Locke & Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #1 This should actually be part 4 of that last Locke & Key 3 issue mini ("... In Pale Battalions Go") as it ties directly into that. It is literally the continuation of it, but I guess as we get more of the Sandman Universe in this one, they want that Sandman letters on the title  Grin Don't blame them. As for the story ... oh I think it was pretty damn good!!! Loved it. And the art, as always, In-fucking-credible.

Geiger #1 - Geoff Johns and Gary Frank return for a creator owned title? And I wasn't going to get that puppy? HA!! As for the art, you know what you get, it's Gary Frank. As for the story, it was okay. I think it will grow on me. I'm not too much a fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, even as a fan of Mad Max, but it was good enough to keep me on for next issue.

Conan #, ooops, I mean, The Cimmerian: Iron Shadows in the Moon #1 - A decent story, one I actually don't remember reading. Too much like "Red Nails" at the start and if I'm not mistaken, this is going to end up being just like the story from The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #2 drawn by Byrne that I loved back when I read it in '83. Of course, that "Indy" story would have to be an homage from this story as the Conan one was published in 1934  Grin
but man I remember that damn two issue arc being incredibly fun and entertaining. In fact, yeah, lets post that puppy.  Grin

Sword #1
Thor #14

Marvel Team-Up #5 (1972)
Defenders #1 (1972)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 10:25:24 PM »

Sword #1 - Okay, I finished this last week, but forgot to put it in there. I gave this another go and although Ewing is fine, I just find I don't care, at all, about anyone here on this station. May peek in from time to time, but so far just sticking with X-Men, Marauders, Cable and ... well ... for some reason, Wolverine   ;Dfor my mutant needs
 Grin

I hung out for the first three issues but totally agree. I just don't care about these characters. The Hellions book and the latest X-Factor are just as bad. I am going to give X-Corps a try next month.

I’m with you on what you said about Hellions and X-Factor.  They are not long for my list.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 10:30:14 PM »

Locke & Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #1 This should actually be part 4 of that last Locke & Key 3 issue mini ("... In Pale Battalions Go") as it ties directly into that. It is literally the continuation of it, but I guess as we get more of the Sandman Universe in this one, they want that Sandman letters on the title  Grin Don't blame them. As for the story ... oh I think it was pretty damn good!!! Loved it. And the art, as always, In-fucking-credible.

Geiger #1 - Geoff Johns and Gary Frank return for a creator owned title? And I wasn't going to get that puppy? HA!! As for the art, you know what you get, it's Gary Frank. As for the story, it was okay. I think it will grow on me. I'm not too much a fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, even as a fan of Mad Max, but it was good enough to keep me on for next issue.

How did I miss Locke & Key?  Gotta go put that on my wish list!

Geiger is on my list.  I’ll be getting it when issue 2 comes out and the price drops.  But honestly, shouldn’t I wait until it’s completely done to get it?  We all know Gary Frank can’t keep a schedule.  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Atlantis Attacks #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Immortal Hulk #39
Immortal Hulk #40

Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5
Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #3

Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl #5
Rorschach #7
Seven Secrets #7

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22

The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20
Batman #92
Batman Secret Files #3
The Batman’s Grave #6
The Batman’s Grave #7

Maestro #3-5 - Like Jimmy said, this was great!  Need more Peter David on Maestro!  What’s that? There’s another mini series coming?  Yes!

Taskmaster #1 & 2 - This was hilarious and had great action.  I like it a lot.  Taskmaster gets a thumbs way up!

M.O.D.O.K.: Head Games #1 & 2 -OMG. This was just as fun as Taskmaster and possibly funnier!  I don’t want to spoil it but, yeah, you need to pick this up. It’s silly fun.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 11:53:03 PM »

Taskmaster #1 & 2 - This was hilarious and had great action.  I like it a lot.  Taskmaster gets a thumbs way up!

Sweet. Glad you dug it. I thought it was done really well. Better than I thought it would be, so that helped  Grin

M.O.D.O.K.: Head Games #1 & 2 -OMG. This was just as fun as Taskmaster and possibly funnier!  I don’t want to spoil it but, yeah, you need to pick this up. It’s silly fun.

It is indeed funny. Love the idea and love the ego of Modok. Also enjoyed how that certain armor helped Tony and Modok ... who cosplayed  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 03:15:29 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Atlantis Attacks #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Immortal Hulk #39
Immortal Hulk #40

Maestro #3
Maestro #4
Maestro #5
Taskmaster #1
Taskmaster #2

ComiXology Unlimited
Crimson Flower #3

Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl #5
Rorschach #7
Seven Secrets #7

DC Universe Infinite
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22

The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20
Batman #92
Batman Secret Files #3
The Batman’s Grave #6
The Batman’s Grave #7

Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl #5 - Well that ended too fast.  The final battle felt way too rushed but it wrapped up this Kick-Ass’ story arc.  Overall the entire series was fun and the ending did its job.

Rorschach #7 - LOLOL! This issues “guest star” cracked me up.  I like how they wove him into this story and world.  Pretty funny.  Still enjoying this mystery and we’re getting closer to the end.  And maybe some answers.

Seven Secrets #7 - An interlude from the action and some secrets are revealed creating more questions.  Next issue should be back to the action.

Injustice: Gods Among Us #1-6 - Rereading this so I can catchup then read the sequel and prequel.  It’s just as great as I remember.  Even knowing what was going to happen my heart still stopped at the thing that sets everything in motion. Gonna be a fun revisit of this great series.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 06:35:55 PM »

Kick-Ass vs. Hit Girl

DAMN IT. I keep forgetting to get back to that K-A New Girl stuff  Angry

Rorschach #7

It has been so hard not reading this past that first issue I read so many moons ago. As soon as that penultimate issue hits the stands I am going to have a read-a-thon of this darn thing

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Man, I need to go back and reread this as well (shocking ... yet another series I started but never finished). but at least I did finish the prequel. The one that hit not so long ago, so I got that one under my belt
 Cheesy

Geiger is on my list.  I’ll be getting it when issue 2 comes out and the price drops.  But honestly, shouldn’t I wait until it’s completely done to get it?  We all know Gary Frank can’t keep a schedule.  Grin

Cheesy
Right?

Forgot to mention that I think the idea to wait a month for the price drop is a sound one. Think I will wait on this as well for the second issue. Again, it's okay, but nothing amazing. Some titles I enjoy too much, but this, so far, is not one of those.

I also just realized a few hours ago that my Suicide Squad creative team (the Suicide title from last year that only made it to issue #11, sadly) of Tom Taylor and Bruno Redondo are now the creative on Nightwing!!! May just have to Byrne steal that first issue from last month and see how it hits. I think they are a fantastic team and I would honestly enjoy getting back into a GOOD Nightwing comic again. Their second issue, Nightwing #78, just hit today so ... looks like I may head back out in a minute to see what's up with #77
 Grin
And how weird it didn't restart at a new #1? Glad it didn't, I may have had to buy it then  Cheesy

Probably not reading tonight, so here is what I got finished ...

The Silver Coin #1 - If ever there were a comic to not pay full price, this would be it. I was so looking forward to my man Zdarsky telling a cool Rock-n-Roll story about an (evil?) enchanted coin that I jumped at the chance. I also thought we were gonna get a couple different stories per issue, but it looks as though this will be an anthology by issue only thing, if this was anything to judge by. Hrm, not sure I can recommend this title even after waiting a month, but that is what I will be doing next time.

Modok: Head Games #2 - Just classic 'spinning the ego' comedy. And Modok came disguised as the perfect cosplayer.  Cheesy

Marauders #16 - A re-read as I forgot what happened from way back when I first got this, before dropping all the X-Books to go totally MU with them. Even though the cover damn sure should have reminded me, I couldn't recall so needed a refresher before getting to this weeks release of issue #17. Figured while I'm here at the app adding #17 I may as well get a recap.
But yeah, Kitty revenge issue  Cheesy

Fantastic Four #128 (1972) - A Mole Man story. Not one of my favorite villains, but I did feel bad for the lil guy this time. A mean 'ole woman tricked him into thinking she loved Moley and then betrays him, proving once more that he shall always remain alone.
Awwwww
 Cry

Grin

Locke & Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #1
Geiger #1
The Cimmerian: Iron Shadows in the Moon #1

Sword #1
Thor #14

Marvel Team-Up #5 (1972)
Defenders #1 (1972)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS