HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:21:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 7, 2020  (Read 2685 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 07, 2021, 12:01:07 AM »

Getting a jump on the week while I have the chance...and the giant backlog to push through!

Here’s my plan for this week.

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers West Coast #60
Avengers West Coast #61
Avengers West Coast #62
Avengers West Coast #63
X-Factor #5
Hellions #7
S.W.O.R.D. #1
Marauders #16
Excalibur #16
X-Men #16
Wolverine #8

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #47
Black Hammer: Visions #2
Crimson Flower #1
Crimson Flower #2
Family Tree #10
Family Tree #11
Fire Power #6
Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #86
Flash #87
Flash #88
Hawkman #21
Hawkman #22
Hawkman #23
Justice League Dark #20
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20

---------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:41:06 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 09:55:13 PM »

Avengers #44
Batman #107
Crime Syndicate #2
Excalibur #20
Suicide Squad #2

Back issues:
Batman Beyond #48
YOV: King Shazam #1
YOV: Ocean Master #1
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 03:41:20 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers West Coast #60
Avengers West Coast #61
Avengers West Coast #62
Avengers West Coast #63
X-Factor #5
Hellions #7

S.W.O.R.D. #1
Marauders #16
Excalibur #16
X-Men #16
Wolverine #8

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #47
Crimson Flower #1
Crimson Flower #2
Family Tree #10
Family Tree #11
Fire Power #6
Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #86
Flash #87
Flash #88
Hawkman #21
Hawkman #22
Hawkman #23
Justice League Dark #20
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20

Avengers West Coast #60-63 - Basically the wrap up to the left over plots (Scarlet Witch insanity and Immortusj from Byrne’s run written by Roy Thomas.  Not a bad wrap up but it was rushed.  Makes me wonder how Byrne would have finished it.

X-Factor #5 - glad to get to read the X-Men again but this I didn’t enjoy.  I thought I’d read them all since I’m reading them in MU now but this one isn’t going to make it.

Hellions #7 - and neither will this one I don’t think.  We’ll see as the months pass...

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 02:51:36 PM »

Avengers West Coast #60-63 - Basically the wrap up to the left over plots (Scarlet Witch insanity and Immortusj from Byrne’s run written by Roy Thomas.  Not a bad wrap up but it was rushed.  Makes me wonder how Byrne would have finished it.

From what I've come to understand, there isn't a real reason to continue reading West Coast after Byrne left. I could be wrong, however....

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »

Hawkman 26 & 27 -Big changes! I see why Perry grew to be solid for this title here! (Me, I always loved it! Cheesy )
USAgent 2 -I love Priest writing! I don't like George Jeanty's loose, disconnected art style. It's bugged me since 'Fray' and it's only worse here. Some panels are GREAT, others...just a mess.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 10:18:49 PM »

From what I've come to understand, there isn't a real reason to continue reading West Coast after Byrne left. I could be wrong, however....

Yeah, the art on the previous issues before this wrap up was terrible.  It definitely doesn’t read the same.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 02:12:49 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers West Coast #60
Avengers West Coast #61
Avengers West Coast #62
Avengers West Coast #63
X-Factor #5
Hellions #7

S.W.O.R.D. #1
Marauders #16
Excalibur #16
ADDED: X-Force #15
ADDED: New Mutants #14
X-Men #16
Wolverine #8

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #47
Crimson Flower #1
Crimson Flower #2
Family Tree #10
Family Tree #11
Fire Power #6
Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #86
Flash #87
Flash #88
Hawkman #21
Hawkman #22
Hawkman #23
Justice League Dark #20
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20

I missed adding X-Force 15 & New Mutants 14 to my list above.  Thankfully the checklists at the end of each issue alerted me and I got them in.

S.W.O.R.D. #1 - not a great first issue.  Probably because I don’t really care about most of these characters.  But it’s written by Al Ewing so I’ll give it a couple of issues.

Marauders #16 - This seems out of character for Kitty and Storm.  Hopefully it picks back up next issue.

Excalibur #16 - the better of the post X of Swords issues so far.  The search for Betsy Braddock could be interesting.

X-Force #15 - not a bad start for the new arc.  Still don’t like how Beast is portrayed but I’ll stay on this arc.

New Mutants #14 - Man this art is painful to look at.  I’m interested in the idea of Magik and the gang becoming the new teachers of Krakoa.  Just not so sure I care about their students.  But the return of this villain is promising so I’ll try to get through the art until it changes or I just can’t stand it.

X-Men #16 - I like it! Reminds me of the annual Legion of Super-Heroes elections of days of old.  This arc should be interesting.

Wolverine #8 - the X-Men books got better as I went along with this one being my favorite.  It ties into X-Force as well.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:14:43 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 03:24:26 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers West Coast #60
Avengers West Coast #61
Avengers West Coast #62
Avengers West Coast #63
X-Factor #5
Hellions #7

S.W.O.R.D. #1
Marauders #16
Excalibur #16
X-Men #16
Wolverine #8

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #47
Crimson Flower #1
Crimson Flower #2

Family Tree #10
Family Tree #11
Fire Power #6
Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #86
Flash #87
Flash #88
Hawkman #21
Hawkman #22
Hawkman #23
Justice League Dark #20
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20

Birthright #47 - Really good issue.  The run up to the end might not be a happy one.

Black Hammer: Visions #2 - Lady Dragonfly in an homage to the horror comics of the past.  Not my normal cup of tea but I didn’t find it terrible.

Crimson Flower #1 & 2 - Not a bad story but I don’t like the art.  It’s about a Russian woman trying to find the assassin that killed her father as she follows the path through other assassins.  I’ll keep going to the next issue and see if I get used to the art.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »

Wolverine #8 - the X-Men books got better as I went along with this one being my favorite.   

Well now. It seems this is one of those rare "I can't disagree with you more" moments that happen from time to time  Cheesy
Usually with this title.  Cheesy Cheesy

I have read virtually nothing this week, but I got a few in yesterday and last night.
Jeff, you mentioned that Sword title and how Ewing is writing it. On 11'O'Clock podcast a couple days ago they mentioned that and reminded me of that very thing, it is written by Ewing, so I decided to give it another go. In-fact I started that again last night, but after reading the other stuff and after getting frustrated that I couldn't find it when searching "Sword" on MU ... and then finally finding it after realizing that I should try with the damn "dots" ... S.W.O...  Roll Eyes I was too tired to finish. Ha,
But that said, may as well start with the other one on topic ...
 Grin

Wolverine #8
I try and I try but I can't get into Percy's writing. His beats hit my eyes/ears all wrong, I don't like his dialog and some of the stuff he adds to "sound in character" is just wrong. Like Wolverine and Omega Red's entire conversation. It sounded horrible to me. And according to Percy, if Wolverine doesn't say "blood", "Bled", "bleeding", or some other form of that word at least 4,000 times in an issue, it can't be Wolverine. I may go back and get an accurate count of this issue's total later
 Grin
The art by Bogdanovic (whom I normally really enjoy) was also adding to my frustration as it was really off this issue. Heck, as was Kubert's art. At first with guys in black that look like a Rob Liefeld character design  Roll Eyes and then everything past the Omega red stuff ... which yeah, I did really enjoy that part
So damn cool looking him coming out of that cave. Really well done, especially for a small set of panels
Sadly, I just don't enjoy reading this title and haven't since issue #1. However, I will continue to do just that, read this title, as I think deep down, real deep, there is something here that I don't want to miss  Cheesy (Plus as I cut most all of the X books out of my reading list since Swords, I need to try and stay in the loop and Wolverine is still a good character that I enjoy, so may as well ride the wave ... UNTIL I BLEED!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy

X-Men #16 - Man I missed this title. Still not an uber fan of the island thing and the war that is sure to come, but this was still done very well. Loved the
meeting between the islands with the totems
also liked seeing what Scott and Jean have planned!
 Smiley

Sea of Sorrows #4 - This title, from the same guy that wrote the Road of Bones mini that I enjoyed so much, has not had the same impact as that, but I am hoping it ends just as well. Decent horror book but a tad predicable. Also the art, while at times simply amazing, has my eyes wondering what they are seeing on some panels. Still, only one more issue, so ...

Swamp Thing #1 I was told recently that as a Swamp Thing fan (when it's done with a horror tilt), and someone that has been enjoying Immortal Hulk as much as I have been that I really needed to read this issue. Give it a shot. Yep!!! Enjoyed it ... until I got to the last panel ... then I was blown away. Loved it!! This may just be a very, very interesting book.

Amazing Spider-Man #114 - The origin of HammerHead!!! Ha, pretty funny. Dude gets beaten so badly his skull is crushed but as he is passing out, he sees an old movie poster about Al Capone and it imbeds in his memory so deeply that once this doctor (who just happens along and finds him laying there) fixes his head ... by making his skull from a metal alloy (and flat for some reason  Cheesy) he retains the 1930's style gangster persona. Ha, crazy good/stupid 70's Marvel stuff!!

Marvel Feature #2 And I'm done. The stories are not the only problem here. It is the way Marvel uploaded this series. For some reason every issue so far (and I peeked into the last issue, #3, and it does it as well) throws the panels up out of order, when reading in guided view (or whatever Marvel calls that). Sure I could read them by the page, but damn it I love the guided view or panel by panel or smart view or whatever it is called and I want to use it. But no, this series is horrible, riddled with panels out of order. BAH!! Bring me Defenders, screw Marvel Feature!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 11:06:05 PM »

Well that’s ok if you don’t like the Wolvey comic.  We can’t agree on everything right?  I won’t hold it against you.    Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 03:31:33 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers West Coast #60
Avengers West Coast #61
Avengers West Coast #62
Avengers West Coast #63
X-Factor #5
Hellions #7

S.W.O.R.D. #1
Marauders #16
Excalibur #16
X-Men #16
Wolverine #8

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #47
Crimson Flower #1
Crimson Flower #2

Family Tree #10
Family Tree #11
Fire Power #6

Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #86
Flash #87
Flash #88
Hawkman #21
Hawkman #22
Hawkman #23
Justice League Dark #20
Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20

Family Tree #10 & 11 - Looks like things are coming to a close and the world might not survive this.  This is not Lemire’s best work, heck not even at the top of his work.  But I’m enjoying it nonetheless.

Fire Power #6 - Good issue.  The mentor is back and fighting ensues.  Twice!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 01:22:22 PM »

Well that’s ok if you don’t like the Wolvey comic.  We can’t agree on everything right?

Absolutely. Funny thing is I am still going to (begrudgingly) read it. Just to keep in touch  Grin

I won’t hold it against you.    Grin

Well that's good
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 03:18:34 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers West Coast #60
Avengers West Coast #61
Avengers West Coast #62
Avengers West Coast #63
X-Factor #5
Hellions #7

S.W.O.R.D. #1
Marauders #16
Excalibur #16
X-Men #16
Wolverine #8

ComiXology Unlimited
Birthright #47
Crimson Flower #1
Crimson Flower #2

Family Tree #10
Family Tree #11
Fire Power #6

Fire Power #7
Fire Power #8
Fire Power #9

DC Universe Infinite
Flash #86
Flash #87
Flash #88
Hawkman #21
Hawkman #22
Hawkman #23
Justice League Dark #20

Justice League Dark #21
Justice League Dark #22
The Terrifics #18
The Terrifics #19
The Terrifics #20

I didn’t completely finish my list but I came close!

Fire Power #7-9 - This has become one of my favorite reads right now.  Good story progression and a nice little twist thrown in at the end of issue 9.  Looking forward to next issue!

Flash #86 & 87 - the end of the King Cold storyline.  Lots of fun with suped up powered rogues. 

Flash #88 - Start of a new time travel arc and introducing a new villain, Paradox.  Enjoyed the origin story and the action will start next issue which is renumbered as #750.

Hawkman #21 & 22 - end of the Sky Tyrant story.  Loved it.  This is a great series and the setup for the new arc is even better.

Hawkman #23 - A story from Hawkman and Hawkwoman’s past and an interesting one.  But the reveal of where they wound up from last issues cliff hanger promises more greatness to come.  Thumbs up!

Justice League Dark #20 - Creeeeeeeepy!  I like that Animal Man is in this issue and this arc is definitely more horror driven.  Art reminds of Immortal Hulk. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS