HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:53:27 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, March 17, 2021  (Read 2346 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: March 17, 2021, 02:29:39 PM »

Happy St. Patrick's Day! 

Captain Marvel #27
Justice League #59
Nightwing #78
Radiant Black #2
Spider-Woman #10
SWORD #4
X-Force #18
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 02:30:46 PM »

Things are hopefully back to normal this week.  Going to try harder to get back into the swing of my comics!

And Happy St Patrick’s day to you too!

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #42
West Coast Avengers #43
West Coast Avengers #44
West Coast Avengers #45
West Coast Avengers #46
West Coast Avengers #47
West Coast Avengers #48
West Coast Avengers #49
West Coast Avengers #50
West Coast Avengers #51
West Coast Avengers #52
West Coast Avengers #53 - the 12 issue arc that is the basis for WandaVision.  Gotta check it out.

DC Universe Infinite
Flash Forward #1
Flash Forward #2
Flash Forward #3
Flash Forward #4
Flash Forward #5
Flash Forward #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Barbalien Red Planet #4
Black Hammer: Visions #1
Snow Angels #1
Snow Angels #2
Something is Killing the Children #14
Stillwater #5
Stillwater #6

---------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »

I guess Rodney either doesn't come back after he posts in these threads or he just doesn't want to converse with me for shit, so I will not even attempt to ask him a question this week
 Tongue

Continuing my désir de la semaine  Grin to start reading books of my youth, I'm going to try and knock out some more of the '72 issues, but to avoid being blown away seventies writing style  Grin I am also adding a couple new ones in the mix

MU
Amazing Spider-Man #111 (Aug 1972)
Defenders #1 (Aug 1972)
Thor #202 (Aug 1972)
Iron Man #49 (Aug 1972)
Daredevil #90  (Aug 1972)
GotG #9 (Current)
Strange Academy #6 (Current)

One thing about reading these older comics, some of them I am going to try but I am pretty sure I will be jumping off of pretty early as I just don't think they are that good, from what I have been told for years and years (They were fine for my 6 year old self, but not now ... from what I understand). I am pretty sure Iron Man was pretty much a nothing comic, really, until THE team came aboard (Micheline, Layton and JRjr) and sadly I think the same is said about DD until Miller popped, but I am going to give them a shot anyway, while I am in the right headspace
 Cheesy
Also not putting a ton of comics on the list as these older books are pretty dense and take a good bit longer.
 Cheesy
And I have to wait one more month for #126 and Roy Thomas to jump on writing duties before I can add my beloved FF to the list. I struggle too much with Stan Lee's writing, even though that first 125 is some of the best FF ever from a plot and imagination standpoint.
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 04:32:47 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #42
West Coast Avengers #43
West Coast Avengers #44
West Coast Avengers #45

West Coast Avengers #46
West Coast Avengers #47
West Coast Avengers #48
West Coast Avengers #49
West Coast Avengers #50
West Coast Avengers #51
West Coast Avengers #52
West Coast Avengers #53 - the 12 issue arc that is the basis for WandaVision.  Gotta check it out.

DC Universe Infinite
Flash Forward #1
Flash Forward #2
Flash Forward #3
Flash Forward #4
Flash Forward #5
Flash Forward #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Barbalien Red Planet #4
Snow Angels #1
Snow Angels #2
Stillwater #5
Stillwater #6

West Coast Avengers #42-45 - This fun to go back in time and read this old series.  I had forgotten that originally the Vision was built from the Original Human Torch’s Android body.  Issue 45 reveals that to be false which explains why they both exist currently but now I’m anxious to find out his true origin!  White Vision showed up in this issue and made the WandaVision one more exciting for me.  Like Perry said these older comics take a lot longer to read.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »

MU
Defenders #1 (Aug 1972)
Thor #202 (Aug 1972)
Iron Man #49 (Aug 1972)
Daredevil #90  (Aug 1972
)
GotG #9 (Current)

Iron Man #49 - As I supected and had been warned, this isn't anything special. At least not this issue. I think, for time and my own sanity, I'm gonna drop Iron Man from my read through until it gets to the M+L stuff. Super Adaptoid was interesting, as was Tony girlfriend whom I had never heard of  Shocked

Daredevil #90  - This one however ... I may keep on with this. At least as long as Gene Colan is doing the artwork. First appearance of Mister Fear!!! Plus, DD being in San Fran is kinda cool. And I think this is an issue or two before the title turns to the co-op title Daredevil and the Black Widow which I always found kind of neat!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »

MU
Defenders #1 (Aug 1972)
Thor #202 (Aug 1972)
Iron Man #49 (Aug 1972)
Daredevil #90  (Aug 1972
)
GotG #9 (Current)

ADDED-
Fantastic Four #126 (1972)
Fantastic Four #27 (2021)

Thor #202 (Aug 1972) - Ego, or a small part of the planet  Wink, causing all kinds of trouble. Issue ends with Fandral about to be eaten by giant ants and Thor passing out from ... having a building fall on him  Cheesy Ha, Classic.

Amazing Spider-Man #111 (Aug 1972) - One of Jimmy's favorite Spidey foes, Kraven  Wink, convinces a confused (and an even "better" antagonist? *shiver*) Gibbon to attack Spidey but Spidey prevails and takes a past out and again, confused, Martin Blank (The Gibbon) to the hospital while Kraven broods that his plan has failed.

Fantastic Four #126 (1972) - Kind ticked about this issue as it is mostly a recap of FF #1. I should have expected it as the cover kind of gives it away. I guess with new writer Roy Thomas taking over the writing duties from Stan Lee, who wrote this title for the first 125 issues, he wanted to start fresh with an origin recap. Now while I read most of this tale, this is a preamble for what is to come as this is also about the time when Marvel started using a lot of reprint stories with new covers to hide when titles were going to be late. "Hey we came out in time!" Yeah, but you just reprinted an older issue. I am expecting to skip a lot of these early Marvel issues for that.
There is one thing I like however. Ben, in one of the many arguments that happen with Johnny over the years, gives the Torch a classic 70's slam and calls him-
"... you wet-nosed walkin' wienie-roast!"
 Grin
Careful, Ben.
 Grin

GotG #9 (Current) - Another origin story but this time a Star-Lord based one. I think they are using even more of the original, Chris Claremont/Michael Golden stuff. I think. I'm just going through the motions, as I think this title is now doing, until it restarts in three more issues with the new, massive team.

Strange Academy #6 (Current) - Man I missed reading this title. This one was a tough one to not get on release day, but with MU going three months from print, I had to make the jump. Glad I waited, even though the issue isn't a great one, it does impact one of my favorite new characters. Can't wait to see what daddy says about this.  Grin

Fantastic Four #27 (2021) - Forgot this issue was hitting MU on Monday so added it as soon as it hit. And ... Ugh, knew it would happen, but wasn't expecting to happen directly after an issue I enjoyed. I'm still going to read further, but Slott remains true to form here for me with an issue that is just not good. Some of this dialog makes the hair on my arms stand up. Not from fear, but an expression of my mind telling my body it wants to flee from this issue.

Oh, and as the Defenders title is bi-monthly, I may try and get a couple issues in the bank before reading that title. Sure I could just read a few issues back to back now, but I am trying to read these titles by release date. Other than Defenders now, of course  Grin Hopefully a mass volume of reading will hold into my memory better than trying to wait until I get to the next issue
 Cheesy

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »

I guess Rodney either doesn't come back after he posts in these threads or he just doesn't want to converse with me for shit, so I will not even attempt to ask him a question this week
 Tongue

Continuing my désir de la semaine  Grin to start reading books of my youth, I'm going to try and knock out some more of the '72 issues, but to avoid being blown away seventies writing style  Grin I am also adding a couple new ones in the mix

MU
Defenders #1 (Aug 1972)
Thor #202 (Aug 1972)
Iron Man #49 (Aug 1972)
Daredevil #90  (Aug 1972)
GotG #9 (Current)

One thing about reading these older comics, some of them I am going to try but I am pretty sure I will be jumping off of pretty early as I just don't think they are that good, from what I have been told for years and years (They were fine for my 6 year old self, but not now ... from what I understand). I am pretty sure Iron Man was pretty much a nothing comic, really, until THE team came aboard (Micheline, Layton and JRjr) and sadly I think the same is said about DD until Miller popped, but I am going to give them a shot anyway, while I am in the right headspace
 Cheesy
Also not putting a ton of comics on the list as these older books are pretty dense and take a good bit longer.
 Cheesy
And I have to wait one more month for #126 and Roy Thomas to jump on writing duties before I can add my beloved FF to the list. I struggle too much with Stan Lee's writing, even though that first 125 is some of the best FF ever from a plot and imagination standpoint.
 Cool

awwwww, poor Perry! I do check back.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »

awwwww, poor Perry! I do check back.

Ahhhhh, okay, its like that. Sweet.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 04:18:55 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
West Coast Avengers #42
West Coast Avengers #43
West Coast Avengers #44
West Coast Avengers #45

West Coast Avengers #46
West Coast Avengers #47

West Coast Avengers #48
West Coast Avengers #49
West Coast Avengers #50
West Coast Avengers #51
West Coast Avengers #52

DC Universe Infinite
Flash Forward #1
Flash Forward #2
Flash Forward #3

Flash Forward #4
Flash Forward #5
Flash Forward #6

ComiXology Unlimited
Barbalien Red Planet #4
Snow Angels #1
Snow Angels #2
Stillwater #5
Stillwater #6

West Coast Avengers #46 - My first experience with the Great Lake Avengers. Kind of funny but 1 issue with them was enough for me.
West Coast Avengers #47 - Enjoying this and now understanding how this is more about Wanda than Vision.  Matches up nicely with the series in theme.

Flash Forward #1-3 - I think this is as far as I got last time.  Better than I remembered but still not great.  I am curious about the kids.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS