HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:46:42 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 27, 2021  (Read 4063 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: January 27, 2021, 04:07:32 PM »

Happy hump day, everyone! Small week but still haven't finished last week.

Captain Marvel #25... I really like this "Carol in the future" arc and would love to see her stay there.
Excalibur #17.... so glad that X of Swords is done.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 04:11:33 PM »

Captain Marvel #25... I really like this "Carol in the future" arc and would love to see her stay there.

Hmmmm.  I might have to check this out.  The Captain Marvel books were the only good thing I enjoyed from Empyre.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 04:18:17 PM »

Here’s my list this week.  Had to bring some over from last week as is my norm these days.  I know I’ll get caught up eventually.  And before you say it, Perry, YES I’ve read the Jimmy Olsen story in the Leviathan special...TWICE!   Grin

ComiXolgy
That Texas Blood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
Undiscovered Country #11
The Witcher: Fading Memories #1
The Witcher: Fading Memories #2
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4
Barbalien: Red Planet #2
The Boys: Dear Becky #8 (Last Issue)
Decorum #6
DCeased Dead Planet #7
Department of Truth #4
Kick-Ass vs Hit-Girl #2
Nailbiter Returns #8
Redneck #29
Rorschach #4
Something is Killing the Children #13
Stillwater #4
Strange Adventures #8

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels Snapshots Spider-Man #1
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place #1 (by Jeff Lemire)
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50
Amazing Spider-Man #50.1

DC Universe
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #4
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #5
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #6
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #7
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #8
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #9
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #10
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #11
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #12

--------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:14:28 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »

I am already done with my Marvel this week again!

Spider-man 50.1 -eh okay.
Spider-woman 5(100) didn't like this one. I feel an about face on his I was perceiving this title
Juggernaut 2- I like Ron Garney art, and it's just fun to slow down on a character to 'see' them
X of Swords next 2-3 parts ; whatever. I looked at them. Excalibur was particularly bad to me. Apocalypse was kind of neat?
Daredevil 23 (I think); still enjoying this title a bunch. Glad to see the two redraw their lines in the sand the annual makes sense now!

Think that's it there!

DCI
Villains Arisen (the 6 issues that lead to...
Death Metal 1 and 2 (ok I didn't read read this as much as I just looked through them pages. It's all current nonsense and it requires a longer reread of all titles in one sitting I think)
... So much more to read! Yay!! I see DCI is starting to put vertigo on here too!

Oh! Unlimited broke my heart. I had Thunderstrike on my list forever. I always just wanted to try and see how this title went. So I read issue 1 FINALLY last night... And it's the only one of the series on there! Dick move, Marvel! Lol

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:12:02 PM »

Excalibur #17.... so glad that X of Swords is done.

Seconded

... And before you say it, Perry, YES I’ve read the Jimmy Olsen story in the Leviathan special...TWICE!   Grin

DC Universe

SWEET
Man I hope this hits for you even half the way it did for me.

Okay, so yeah, lots of time missed and I was down for the count for a few, so just throwing everything I can think of that I read over the past couple weeks or so in this thread. Not much, but here is what I remember

Saga Deluxe HC v1 -
Saga #1- Saga #18
Saga #19
Saga #20
Saga #21
Saga #22
So outta all those issues, issue #21 and #22 were the only ones I hadn't read before, but I wanted to go back and make sure I didn't forget anything, which of course I did .. about everything
 Cheesy

Colonel Weird  #4 - Darn it. Maybe because I was tired, maybe because I am just stupid or maybe because I read them month to month and seem to forget details when I do that, but I was let down by the end here. Kinda seemed not worth it. But maybe Jeff can explain more ... if there is more?

Challenge of the Super-Sons #3 - Okay, the shine is already off. Not that this was bad, but I can wait to read these. Still fun, but yeah, I can wait.

Been told I need to read the last three issues of the Fantastic Four (issues 26-28) but man ... am I set to be heart broken again? May dip into the issues as they hit MU ... I'm NOT buying them. No way!
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 04:36:30 PM »

I forgot Maestro 3 (still love anything PAD Hulk, and it doesn't disappoint

GOTG 7-I like the 'mistaken murderer' angle of all this. Poor Marvel boy for the situations he finds himself in!

Fantastic Four 25-I wanted to see the new suits. Nothing to keep reading as far as I'm concerned

Iron Man 2 - still okay to read. I'm glad for it...but maybe a bit too much psychoanalysis talking? I"m not sure. I was maybe in a mood when  I read it and it didn't land the most positive way it could for me

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 09:01:39 PM »

Batman 56-60, Secret Files, Annual 3: I feel like Tom King has really hit a great stride here. Really enjoying all the reading of this, and really want to get into the next one. Why so much Batman?

Flash: Annual 2, Flash 64 which ties into Batman 65, so I'm trying to get them all caught up concurrently!!

Also, DC has all these He-man  minis from over the years....so I've added those to my "reading" lists. Cheesy

And Perry? I added the Leviathan tie-in for the Jimmy Olsen stuff....and I'll sit down and read through all of it pretty soon! Once I get Flash and Batman caught up to each other!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 12:39:13 AM »

Iron Man 2 - still okay to read. I'm glad for it...but maybe a bit too much psychoanalysis talking? I"m not sure. I was maybe in a mood when  I read it and it didn't land the most positive way it could for me

Totally get that and I felt (somewhat) the same. Just that every writer has to take a turn at Tony's psychoses  Cheesy

And Perry? I added the Leviathan tie-in for the Jimmy Olsen stuff....and I'll sit down and read through all of it pretty soon!

Cool. I think Jeff CAN enjoy it, not sure he WILL, but I think with your love of Supes and some of the late Golden early Silver Age Supes/Jimmy stories you will find the 60's style heartwarming in some manner.
It really blew me away, but I am the pulp guy, so yeah ... I was going to like the old world story/feel to it.

I mean, stuff like this ... a direct story in the Fraction Maxi ... is what made me love the damn thing  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 02:31:24 AM »

see, what you don't know, or don't remember...is that I read my MOM's comics from the late 50s early 60s of Girlfriend Lois Lane and Pal Jimmy Olson.

That's right, my mom read Superman comics as a kid. Got all those titles, Action, Superman, and World's Finest too. Liked Justice League because it had all the heroes in one spot too. Wink

Do more things about me make more sense?  Cool Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 04:53:23 PM »

ComiXolgy
That Texas Blood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
Undiscovered Country #11
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Decorum #6
DCeased Dead Planet #7
Department of Truth #4
Kick-Ass vs Hit-Girl #2
Nailbiter Returns #8
Redneck #29
Rorschach #4
Stillwater #4
Strange Adventures #8

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50
Amazing Spider-Man #50.1

DC Universe

I got through these over the weekend.  Doubtful I’ll finish this whole list by Wednesday so this may turn into my two or three week list.

That Texas Blood #6 - Fitting end to this story.  Not at Criminal level for storytelling but that’s a high bar.  Still a decent enough story.

Undiscovered Country #10 & 11 - Another zone flushed out and man how this “utopia” came at a dark cost.

The Witcher: Fading Memories #1 & 2 - A good start to the latest in this series.

X-O Manowar #3 - I think this was the last of my pre-orders and I’m glad.  Not enjoying this at all.

X-Ray Robot #4 - A quick wrap up to this mini.  I liked the idea of this more than the execution of it.  Not bad but not a must read.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »

More Saga reading ...

Saga #23
Saga #24
Saga #25
Saga #26
Saga #27
Saga #28
Saga #29
Saga #30
- Oh dang,
bye bye The Brand, sister of The Will. Even though I know that is not going to be close to the major deaths that are (probably) coming
Grin

Saga Deluxe HC v1 -
Saga #1- Saga #18
Saga #19
Saga #20
Saga #21
Saga #22

Colonel Weird  #4

Challenge of the Super-Sons #3

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 04:00:37 AM »

ComiXolgy
That Texas Blood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
Undiscovered Country #11
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Decorum #6
DCeased Dead Planet #7
Department of Truth #4

Kick-Ass vs Hit-Girl #2
Nailbiter Returns #8
Redneck #29
Rorschach #4
Stillwater #4
Strange Adventures #8

Marvel Unlimited
Marvels X #5
Marvels X #6
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50
Amazing Spider-Man #50.1

DC Universe

Barbalien: Red Planet #2 - Meh.  I’m starting to fall in line with Perry on this one.  Just not that interesting.

The Boys: Dear Becky #8 (Last Issue) - Nice wrap up the Boys.  The person behind it all is revealed and Wee Hughie wraps up his story.

Decorum #6 - Probably should have waited and read this in collected edition but I did like this issue the best.  Finally a mission to get the action moving!

DCeased Dead Planet #7 - Last issue of the series and I enjoyed how it all wrapped up.

Department of Truth #4 - Good issue.  Our protagonist, Cole, is about to embark on the true journey and it should be fascinating.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 12:23:15 PM »

More Saga reading ...

Saga #31
Saga #32
Saga #33
Saga #34
Saga #35
- Not saying this is bad, at all, but the "ooomph" that this book/title had seems to be fading a tad for me. Maybe its the lack of new characters, maybe its the family separation has it being not as "fun", maybe it is just me, but having
a fatter The Will is about the only thing I have read over the last five or eight issues that I found somewhat interesting
Again, not that it is reading as bad to me, it isn't, but I am not having the fun I had with the first 20 issues or so. It is still a very good comic, but it WAS an amazing one. But hey  ... I am sure it will get its pizzazz back, I have no doubts, but yeah ...
 Undecided

Saga Deluxe HC v1 -
Saga #1- Saga #18
Saga #19
Saga #20
Saga #21
Saga #22

Saga #23
Saga #24
Saga #25
Saga #26
Saga #27
Saga #28
Saga #29
Saga #30

Colonel Weird  #4

Challenge of the Super-Sons #3

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:25:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »

It does have a lull like most series.  I’m not sure it ever gets back to the highs of the earlier issues but it remains a good story and read.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 10:27:50 PM »

Oh yeah, for sure'ski, Comrade.

See what I did there?

Perry, making Tolstoy proud since 2021 ... no? That isn't ...
 Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS