HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:24:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 20, 2021  (Read 2949 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 20, 2021, 03:46:41 AM »

Well, I almost finished last weeks list. Had to move those last 5 Marvel issues over to this week.  And my list is HUGE but I’m going to try to bust through this backlog!

ComiXolgy
The Boys: Dear Becky #7
Colonel Weird: Cosmagog #2
Colonel Weird: Cosmagog #3
Department of Truth #3
Lazarus Risen #5
Naibiter Returns #7
Seven Secrets #5
That TexasBlood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
The Witcher: Fading Memories #1
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro #2
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Daredevil #22
Bounty Hunters #5
Darth Vader #5
Darth Vader #6
Doctor Aphra #4
Marvels Snapshots X-Men #1
Marvels Snapshots Spider-Man #1
Marvels X #5
Immortal Hulk: The Threshing Place #1 (by Jeff Lemire)
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50

DC Universe
Flash #83
Flash #84
Flash #85
Batman & the Outsiders #8
Batman & the Outsiders #9
Hawkman #19
Hawkman #20
The Terrifics #16
The Terrifics #17

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 12:01:58 PM »

I, actually, read all my new DC and Marvel releases the day of release! I'll come back at a time that's not 6 am to recount what I read.

Here's a quick tease ; X of Swords is annoyingly pedestrian... And not even half way done. Not even close! Way to kill the mutant buzz I was enjoying.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »

Here's a quick tease ; X of Swords is annoyingly pedestrian... And not even half way done. Not even close! Way to kill the mutant buzz I was enjoying.

Yeah I didn't enjoy that as much as I had hoped I would.  Luckily, it ends pretty decent so hopefully they get back on track once it's over.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 10:01:35 PM »

Batman/Catwoman #2

I did pick up Future State: Teen Titans. Read it, listed it on eBay and sold it for 3x what I paid. Had alot of down time at the office, so I read last month's Endless Winter from start to finish. It is pretty decent and I am loving the team of Black Adam, Hippolyta, Swamp Thing and Viking Prince.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 02:37:10 AM »

Batman/Catwoman #2

I did pick up Future State: Teen Titans. Read it, listed it on eBay and sold it for 3x what I paid. Had alot of down time at the office, so I read last month's Endless Winter from start to finish. It is pretty decent and I am loving the team of Black Adam, Hippolyta, Swamp Thing and Viking Prince.

I enjoyed that team in Endless Winter also.  I thought it was a nice tight nit story.  Not epic but didn’t need to be.  Just right.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:48:20 AM »

ComiXolgy
Department of Truth #3
Lazarus Risen #5
Naibiter Returns #7
Seven Secrets #5
That TexasBlood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro #2
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Daredevil #22

Bounty Hunters #5
Darth Vader #5
Darth Vader #6
Doctor Aphra #4
Marvels X #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50

DC Universe
Flash #83
Flash #84
Flash #85
Hawkman #19
Hawkman #20
The Terrifics #16
The Terrifics #17

Maestro #2 - I like the origin story here.  It’s moving along at a decent pace.  Not sure what I think about the last page reveal but Peter David normally does a good job with 2nd tier characters.

Immortal She-Hulk #1 - LOVED THIS!  I should have known Al Ewing was writing it.  It sure felt like it while I was reading this.  Great addition to the Immortal Hulk line of books.

Daredevil #22 - Another good read.  I hope they don’t drag this trial out but despite not liking doing this again, the writing is solid and fun to read. Looking forward to the next villain to pop up.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »

Batman/Catwoman #2

WOW!! That's great Rodney!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »

What have I read (OH OH TODAY is the day DC Infinite should update it's catalog! I gotta go look!)
IT HAPPENED!! OH GLEE!!! All new issues of Shazam, Justice League, Hawkman, Flash Forward, Batman/Superman, GL Dark Stars, Aquaman, it's all there!! I have so much TO READ!!!

What I have read:

Heroes in Crisis 1-9; a reread. My updated thoughts are posted in the thread
Justice League International/America (Giffen/Dematteis years) 25-26 : jsut getting my history done. Cheesy
Detective Comics: 948-952: Not... my favoritist kind of reading. Tynion is just..very okay only!
Flash 60-63: More Forces studying and what/not. I enjoy reading this
Superman 19-the reveal. This is smaltzy, swarmy, crap at it's steaming finest. I am having my literature teacher wife read this today to see if she needs to tell me to settle down.
Aquaman 56-a fill in title that's utter blah
He-man and Masters of the Multiverse-nostalgia only. Of course it's not good! Cheesy
Justice League 39-a chance for Perpetua to be defeated? Find out in 14 issue!  Roll Eyes
Flash Forward 5: Give Wally his kids back, dammit!!
Hawkman 20; give me more Hawkman!
Batman through 55-I'm not even sure where I last posted, but man, seeing him and Selina break down and out from each other, watching Bruce try Batman (with awesome Lee Weeks art!), and that bizarre as hell Joker Selina dying in a church issue...I'm still on board for this title. I see the Poison Ivy events from before led to Sanctuary in Heroes in Crisis. Also, Booster's jokes in HiC about not being able to clean a spot of blood off he can only see now make sense due to his time travels in Batman.

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk 38: More, just more! I'm still so happy knowing this goes for at least 12 more issues!
Amazing Spider-man 50: I just don't...feel....it's..very good? It's a story I can read, and immediately put down and not care about at all. The Kindred thing has been going since, what issue 1? And it's 50 now? I don't feel that's a good burn, because it's uninteresting. The reveal of Hobgoblin decades ago was fun because he did things that were utterly independent of Spidey. All Kindred does is stalk spooky dreams of Spidey. That's it. That's all he's done. That's one dimensional and boring.
Hellions 5, New Mutants 13, Cable 5-yeah more X of Swords. Whatever.
Warhammer 40,000: More nostalgia fun.

that's some reading right there!! Time to get after the new DC stuff!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 01:57:00 AM »

ComiXolgy
Department of Truth #3
Lazarus Risen #5
Naibiter Returns #7
Seven Secrets #5
That TexasBlood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro #2
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Daredevil #22

Bounty Hunters #5
Darth Vader #5
Darth Vader #6
Doctor Aphra #4

Marvels X #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50

DC Universe
Flash #83
Flash #84
Flash #85

Hawkman #19
Hawkman #20
The Terrifics #16
The Terrifics #17

Bounty Hunters #5 - Battle with Boba Fett!  Decent wrap up to this arc.

Darth Vader #5 - end of the Padme arc.  Interesting seeing Vader come to face what he did to her.

Darth Vader #6 - start of a new arc.  Not as interesting.  I’m going to quit this series while I’m ahead.

Doctor Aphra #4 - I keep thinking I’m going to drop this and I keep getting pulled back in.  Gotta see how this story ends.  I’m too invested.

Flash #83, 84, & 85 - “Cool” storyline!  Love the rogues and this King Cold version is really fun!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 01:53:41 AM »

Hawkman 21-25!! 6 month catch up! Thanks DCI!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 06:41:46 PM »

ComiXolgy
Department of Truth #3
Lazarus Risen #5
Naibiter Returns #7
Seven Secrets #5
That TexasBlood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro #2
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Daredevil #22

Bounty Hunters #5
Darth Vader #5
Darth Vader #6
Doctor Aphra #4

Marvels X #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50

DC Universe
Flash #83
Flash #84
Flash #85

Hawkman #19
Hawkman #20
The Terrifics #16
The Terrifics #17

Batman & the Outsiders #8 & 9 - Enjoying the Ra’s Al Ghul storyline except it’s a little too long.  Should have wrapped 4 issues ago.

Hawkman #19 & 20 - I see why this arc got Perry back into Hackman.  Sooooo much fun with evil Hawkman!

The Terrifics #16 & 17 - I can’t honestly say this is great yet I do enjoy this as a guilty pleasure.  This arc though could be better.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 10:33:01 PM »

ComiXolgy
Department of Truth #3
Lazarus Risen #5
Naibiter Returns #7
Seven Secrets #5

That TexasBlood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro #2
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Daredevil #22

Bounty Hunters #5
Darth Vader #5
Darth Vader #6
Doctor Aphra #4

Marvels X #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50

DC Universe
Flash #83
Flash #84
Flash #85

Hawkman #19
Hawkman #20
The Terrifics #16
The Terrifics #17

The Boys: Dear Becky #7 - One more issue left for the last The Boys story.  Fun way to go down memory lane.

Colonel Weird: Cosmagog #2 & 3 - Love love love this series.  The art works perfect with this story as well.  Going back through Colonel Weirds past is fascinating and I’m enjoying how the different time periods tie together.

Department of Truth #3 - Well written and provocative but I don’t like the exploitation of this subject matter.  Plus, going back to the premise of the series, real heroes would have left her alone and the child would have come back to life. 

Lazarus Risen #5 - This is my last issue for this series. It just doesn’t hold my interest anymore.  This issue wasn’t bad necessarily, but for some reason I just don’t care about the characters anymore.  Sad because I used to really like this series.

Naibiter Returns #7 - filler issue in my opinion. Not much here to drive the story forward but by the end we have what appears to be a great next issue.

Seven Secrets #5 - just when you thought things couldn’t get any worse for our protagonists.....it does.  Good issue and things are really coming to a head.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »

ComiXolgy
Department of Truth #3
Lazarus Risen #5
Naibiter Returns #7
Seven Secrets #5

That TexasBlood #6
Undiscovered Country #10
X-O Manowar #3
X-Ray Robot #4

Marvel Unlimited
Maestro #2
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Daredevil #22

Bounty Hunters #5
Darth Vader #5
Darth Vader #6
Doctor Aphra #4

Marvels X #5
Immortal Hulk #38
Strange Academy #3
Black Widow #2
Thor #8
Amazing Spider-Man #49
Amazing Spider-Man #50

DC Universe
Flash #83
Flash #84
Flash #85

Hawkman #19
Hawkman #20
The Terrifics #16
The Terrifics #17

Marvels Snapshots X-Men #1 - this should really be called Marvel Snapsots Cyclops as he’s the only X-Man in the book.  It was still a fun read back through his childhood and a chance meeting with Reed Richards.  Thumbs up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS