HR Boards
July 07, 2022, 05:12:38 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thor: Love and Thunder premieres in theaters July 8, 2022!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader: December 23, 2020  (Read 1587 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 23, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »

So, I hate making a list on this thing as I never, ever seem to be able to read everything I had hoped I would each week. It's just a reminder of another thing I failed at doing  Cheesy Plus, my mood changes from day to day, so books I may truly want to read when I put them on here, suddenly seem to fall out of contention as I'm either no longer in the mood for them, I think of something else I would rather read (that is not on the list) or I just flat ran out of time Cheesy

I already see a few titles that I wanted to read last week, that are not on this list for one or more of the reasons I just stated, so, with that said, let's see what gets thrown onto the list this week in ...

THE MIGHTY LIST OF HOPEFULS!
(I will never get to them all)

Challenge of the Super Sons #1
Challenge of the Super Sons #2
Batman's Grave #12
Batman/Catwoman #1
DCeased: Dead Planet #6
Injustice: Year Zero #12

Fire Power #4
Fire Power #5
Fire Power #6
Sea of Sorrows #1
Sea of Sorrows #2
Ice Cream Man #22
Department of Truth #4
Redneck #29

(29? Man, I need to go back a couple issues of this. Been too long since last issue I read)

And speaking of being too long ... a special nod to Gideon Falls final issue this week. Means I need to add that title into my "must go back and finish" list. Heck, I don't remember what happened the last issue I read (nor what issue that was) so I may have to start all the way back over. Wouldn't be bad, but I do want to finish Invincible and get to my reread of Saga as well.
 Undecided

"I do not have OCD. I know. I've checked. Three or four hundred times and I definitely don't. I stopped myself from catching it by washing my hands an even number of times"
David Mitchell
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 06:53:11 PM »

I’m just gonna work on finishing last weeks list.  I’ve been with the family for the holidays this week so not much free time.  I’m sure Jimmy and Perry think I’m ignoring them since I haven’t even had time to return their Polo messages.

ComiXolgy
Black Magick #16
Die!Die!Die! #13
Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #3
RAI #10
Stillwater #3
Rorschach #3
Endless Winter:
     The Flash #767
     Superman: Endless Winter Special #1
     Aquaman #66
     Justice League #58
     Teen Titans: Endless Winter Special #1

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Batman & the Outsiders #7
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #4
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #5
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

——————————————————————-
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:59:33 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »

Its the holidays Jeff. I think nothing of the gaps.

I read!!

DOOMSDAY CLOCK 12: Yes, I loved this meta-message story of Johns and Frank. I really just want to reread all of it right now, right away!

Flash 26-29: Negative Flash! I think I quit at the time just because I didn't care about Barry, I was cutting down titles, but I for the life of me, don't know why I did quit this. I mean, it's not the most amazing book of all time, but on the whole, I really enjoy reading this!

Justice League 29-31 - Good lord, let the story breathe at some point. There is so much...stuff with this Doom/Perpetua stuff. I love the bigginess of it, but...its nearly War & Peace in comic form. Words are nice, but so is just letting events occur. I feel I have to do this in small chunks, otherwise I just check out.

IRON MAN 1: I digs it, Perry! I'm wholly on board!!

Immortal Hulk 37: Someone give Joe Bennett an award! Ewing too. This is phenomenol.

Thor 7: A little less end of all times with Galactus, a little more of what's up with Thor. Good stuff. Back to Broxton! lol

Captain America 23: just checking in. Nope, still not worth it.

Empyre; Emperor Hulkling, Avengers 1, #3-6, Aftermath: I tried reading the Avengers tie in-nothing worthwhile whatsoever to read in that. Hulkling I don't care about, and this whole thing was garbage. Utter dreck. Obnoxious. Junk. Just bad reading. Uninteresting. Would have made me drop Marvel monthlies if I hadn't already. Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 06:58:06 PM »

Excalibur 12: No interest, scanned it, and put it away
ASM The Sins of Norman Osborn -eh, a tremendously huge issue of filler before the next 850 or whatever issue it is

Also

Xmen 12: Okay, nothing makes sense. Or, I should say, a sudden backstory plot machina to describe all the dangers coming. Maybe its the day or my own mindset, but this isn't anything I got into. I must have read too much Justice League before this issue of back history of the Summoner.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 07:04:35 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »

ComiXolgy
Black Magick #16
Die!Die!Die! #13

RAI #10
Stillwater #3
Rorschach #3
Endless Winter:
     The Flash #767
     Aquaman #66
     Justice League #58

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

——————————————————————-

Black Magick #16 - let the culling begin.  And by that I mean I’ve lost interest in this book.  Not picking up anymore issues.

Die!Die!Die! #13 - let the culling continue! I’ve lost interest in this one too.  Fortunately this was the end of this arc and a good place to stop.

Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #3 - Final issue of this mini which was just ok.  Definitely sad as nothing seems to go right for this Dad.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »

I’m sure Jimmy and Perry think I’m ignoring them since I haven’t even had time to return their Polo messages.

Cheesy
Nah, we understand. You're with family ... although ... I always thought we were part of that family but okay, whatever
  Wink WinkCheesy Cheesy

IRON MAN 1: I digs it, Perry! I'm wholly on board!!

Sweet.  Cool Yeah, it has an old school feel to it that I find kinda nice
 Smiley

As for my list ... so far ...

Batman's Grave #12
Batman/Catwoman #1
DCeased: Dead Planet #6
Injustice: Year Zero #12

Fire Power #4
Fire Power #5
Fire Power #6
Sea of Sorrows #1
Sea of Sorrows #2
Ice Cream Man #22

Department of Truth #4
Redneck #29

Batman's Grave #12 - Well, this is over. And while I didn't OVERLY enjoy this series, I am glad to see Ellis complete this after his ... issue. Hope he gets back to comics soon. I kind of think he got a little, not railroaded, but ... yeah, I don't know. Maybe I don't know everything (or anything  Grin), but I think the entire thing is a little ... well, again, I don't know much about it so I shouldn't say anything. Just hope he comes back

- Ahhh, so nice. The story is going to be a little weak here I think, but I don't care. Loved it. Nice seeing them "back" together, even if it is suppose to be happening before the damn aging bullshit
 Angry

Sea of Sorrows #1
Sea of Sorrows #2
- This four issue mini starts off as a good creepy tale set in the late 20's (so you know I love that) about a sunken German sub, the gold that lies within its hull and the poor saps that go and try to get it.
 Smiley

Ice Cream Man #22 - Again, as always, I immediately put the book down thinking something along the lines of "That was good, but I think I can drop this" when hours later I still find myself thinking about this damn thing. If that is not a sign of an impactful read I can't tell ya what is. And it happens each and every month it seems.
But wowza, what a tough subject matter this issue .. and at Christmas? Really well done story about abortion and the fascinating thing, to me at least, is it came off as being both pro-life and pro-choice at the same time. Which I think is sums up my feelings on the subject but to able to put that in one single 22 page story? Just an amazing issue. Man this title is so damn good, but seemingly only after some time has past after each issue Grin.
Plus, found out some more good news for me ... W. Maxwell Prince (Ice Cream Man writer) has another title coming out from Image and it is an anthology title. I am so there!
 Smiley

"I do not have OCD. I know. I've checked. Three or four hundred times and I definitely don't. I stopped myself from catching it by washing my hands an even number of times"
David Mitchell
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 02:11:33 PM »

And I think I am going to push a few things back now
 Undecided

Hearing how the last issue of Snyders Death Metal will be the catalyst for the new DC which we have been seeing and I am kind of interested in that. Well, not kind of, I find I am very interested in that. So much so that I am going to try, try I say, and reread the first mini "Dark Knights Metal" that is up on DCU right now and then try and read what I can of the current "Heavy Metal" to try and catch up a little with what DC is going to do here.

Could I just go to Death Metal, sure, and I did already "Read" Metal, but I honestly feel I never gave that first arc a good honest try... I think I read it with anger and or disgust at the way things were going and leading to this damn Perpetua crap and so I think I was a little jaded. I think. Who knows I may not make it through this time, but gonna try.

David Mitchell
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 03:47:37 AM »

I’m doing terrible on my list these past two weeks.  Looks like I’m moving more to tomorrow’s list again.

ComiXolgy
Black Magick #16
Die!Die!Die! #13

RAI #10
Stillwater #3
Rorschach #3

Endless Winter:
     The Flash #767
     Aquaman #66
     Justice League #58

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

——————————————————————-

RAI #10 - Good end to this arc but we are left hanging with no idea when the next arc will be released.

Stillwater #3 - Really getting into this comic.  This issue brings a lot of answers to how things work in the town but leaves enough mystery to keep you wanting more.  This was the best of these first issues so far.

Rorschach #3 - I like getting Laura’s background this issue.  It was some good story telling.  Still not sure how this ties in to Rorschach but I’m enjoying the journey.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 12:34:17 PM »

Black Adam: Endless Winter Special #1
Excalibur #16
Wonder Woman #769   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS