HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 05:30:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader: December 9, 2020  (Read 4501 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 09, 2020, 04:18:27 AM »

One of these days I'm gonna make it through my whole list again....

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #9
Fire Power Pelude OGN
Gideon Falls #26
Nailbiter Returns #6
Rorschach #2
Skulldigger & Skeleton Boy #5
Something is Killing the Children #12
Stillwater #2
Suicide Squad #11
Undiscovered Country #9
X-O Manowar #2
X-Ray Robot #3
Strange Adventures #7
DCeased: Hope At World's End #15
DCeased: Dead Planet #6
The Boys: Dear Becky #6
That Texas Blood #5
Kick-Ass Vs. Hit-Girl #1
Seven Secrets #4
Justice League: Endless Winter #1

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #1
Empyre #6
Fantastic Four #23
Guardians of the Galaxy #6

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Batman & the Outsiders #7
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #4
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #5
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #9
Fire Power Prelude OGN
Gideon Falls #26

Nailbiter Returns #6
Rorschach #2
Stillwater #2
Suicide Squad #11
Undiscovered Country #9
X-O Manowar #2
X-Ray Robot #3
Strange Adventures #7
That Texas Blood #5
Kick-Ass Vs. Hit-Girl #1
Seven Secrets #4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #1
Empyre #6
Fantastic Four #23

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

Family Tree #9 - Good issue.  Really enjoying the time jump and the apocalyptic ramifications. The Mom reminds me of Sarah Conners.

Fire Power Prelude OGN - Wow, this was really good! Similar to Iron Fist but holds well all on its own.  Can’t wait to delve into this series and the mystery surrounding our hero.

Gideon Falls #26 - this issue brings everything together...I think.  This series has so confused me I stopped trying to understand it months ago and am just along for the ride.  Next issue is the final issue!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:35:56 AM »

Captain Marvel #24
Death Metal: Last Stories of the DC Universe #1
Flash  #767... Endless Winter part 2
Spider-Woman #6
Superman Special #1
S.W.O.R.D. #1
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 02:51:19 AM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #9
Fire Power Prelude OGN
Gideon Falls #26

Nailbiter Returns #6
Rorschach #2

Stillwater #2
Suicide Squad #11
Undiscovered Country #9
X-O Manowar #2
X-Ray Robot #3
Strange Adventures #7
That Texas Blood #5
Kick-Ass Vs. Hit-Girl #1
Seven Secrets #4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #1
Empyre #6
Fantastic Four #23

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

Nailbiter Returns #6 - Ah ha! Now we know how all this started.  Getting close to the end of this story and I bet the surprises aren’t over.

Rorschach #2 - I like the mystery here and how they are unraveling it.  Good issue.

Skulldigger & Skeleton Boy #5 - what?!?!  Next issue isn’t coming out until May 2021?  And just when it was getting really good!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 03:18:07 PM »

Batman's Grave #9
Batman's Grave #10
Batman's Grave #11
- The last issue is set to hit this coming Wednesday so I thought I would get caught up with the what's going on so when I read it I can remember what has happened.  Grin For an Ellis book, I have to say that I haven't really enjoyed this story, but I have been liking Alfred in this, especially the past issue or so. Loved the entire "gun" sequence  Cheesy

Stillwater #2 - Ohhh, we discover the who and when, but not the what, how or why ... yet  Smiley
Lock and Key/Sandman: Hell and Gone #0 - WTF? This is just a reprint stuff? Bah. I guess I shouldn't expect much from a zero issue, but I would have thought it would lead into the upcoming story at least a tad, but nope. Nothing here but reprints of Sandman #1 and that (really cool) L&K story about the Moon Key and the hot air baloon.

Conan the Barbarian#17 - They "went and done it". Art here is bad. I would call it "Dynamite Light" (far less caloric style than the usual Dynamite art) and I can't read Conan with art like that. Think I finally have to bail off this title and that is sad for me to say. Avengers and F.F being what they are, almost unreadable for me, and now no Conan?  Undecided
SWORD #1 - Had to "read" this as I loved the last go 'round of this title. Lots of peeps here I don't know and very "Hickman style heavy". May read on MU, maybe, but may just pass up all together. Wasn't done poorly, at all, just don't think it is for me or others like me with little to no 90's to 2001 "X" knowledge
The Union #1 - Okay ... okay ... I can dig this I think. I took a shot to see what the what is and while the "King in Black" Knull tie-in was very awkward in its presentation (came in just way too fast with little to no explanation) I like a team of B listers. Is it the Defenders? No, but I think I can add this to my MU "pull" (ha, I wish) and read this puppy there when it hits.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:56:13 PM »

Batman's Grave #9
Batman's Grave #10
Batman's Grave #11
- The last issue is set to hit this coming Wednesday so I thought I would get caught up with the what's going on so when I read it I can remember what has happened.  Grin For an Ellis book, I have to say that I haven't really enjoyed this story, but I have been liking Alfred in this, especially the past issue or so. Loved the entire "gun" sequence  Cheesy

I need to catch up on this as well.  I think I’m on issue 6 or 7.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 01:00:07 AM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #9
Fire Power Prelude OGN
Gideon Falls #26

Nailbiter Returns #6
Rorschach #2

Stillwater #2
Suicide Squad #11

Undiscovered Country #9
X-O Manowar #2
X-Ray Robot #3
Strange Adventures #7
That Texas Blood #5
Kick-Ass Vs. Hit-Girl #1
Seven Secrets #4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #1
Empyre #6
Fantastic Four #23

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

Something is Killing the Children #12 - Not the end by a long shot and a great cliffhanger.  The St. George order finally arrives in town and things get worse.

Stillwater #2 - Loved it.  The mystery starts to unfold and I’m looking forward to digging through these layers.  Thumbs up.

Suicide Squad #11 - and it’s done.  Not a bad ending.  The one thing I hate in a book is when they make the hero all smug and full of themselves.  We get that with the heroes here in this ending.  It didn’t kill the book for me but dropped my enjoyment down a peg or two.  Still, it was a good series overall and things did wrap up.  I think Taylor had more plans (Jog’s origin for example) and it’s a shame we won’t get to see any of that.  Maybe they’ll come back under a different name at some point.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:36:27 PM »

Suicide Squad #11 - and it’s done.  Not a bad ending.  The one thing I hate in a book is when they make the hero all smug and full of themselves. 

I totally get that, and I share that opinion, but I think here, especially with Osita, it works. If for no other reason than like Deadshot, Boomerang, Cat-Man and the other past members of the squad ... these are not really "heroes". I think the arrogance fits in this case.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »

Suicide Squad #11 - and it’s done.  Not a bad ending.  The one thing I hate in a book is when they make the hero all smug and full of themselves. 

I totally get that, and I share that opinion, but I think here, especially with Osita, it works. If for no other reason than like Deadshot, Boomerang, Cat-Man and the other past members of the squad ... these are not really "heroes". I think the arrogance fits in this case.
 Smiley

That does make sense. I didn’t really think of them as villains.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 12:31:39 AM »

That does make sense. I didn’t really think of them as villains.

And that is kinda cool too, that they hit you as not the bad buys. But then, that makes the very point you were talking about ... about the smugness being not a great thing to show
 Grin Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 11:14:14 PM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #9
Fire Power Prelude OGN
Gideon Falls #26

Nailbiter Returns #6
Rorschach #2

Stillwater #2
Suicide Squad #11

Undiscovered Country #9
X-O Manowar #2
X-Ray Robot #3
Strange Adventures #7

That Texas Blood #5
Kick-Ass Vs. Hit-Girl #1
Seven Secrets #4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #1
Empyre #6
Fantastic Four #23

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

Undiscovered Country #9 - Pretty interesting movement of the story.  This super technological society seems cool but there has to be something underlying that isn't a nice at it all seems.  Right?

X-O Manowar #2 - This was a decent issue but I should really let this one go as my own personal interest just isn't there.  I already have issue #3 pre-ordered so I'll see if I feel the same after reading that one next month.

X-Ray Robot #3 - This feels like it's been going on for six issues already and we're actually only on #3!  I guess that could be either good or bad.  Still pretty confusing but time travel/mulitversal stories always do at first.

Strange Adventures #7 - I should have waited and read this in Collected Edition.  Moves too slow going from month to month and with all the out of sync story telling it's hard to understand what part in time I'm looking at.  It bleeds together a little too much.  I'm expecting a good payoff by the end but it's a little painful getting there at this pace.  

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2020, 03:56:55 AM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #9
Fire Power Prelude OGN
Gideon Falls #26

Nailbiter Returns #6
Rorschach #2

Stillwater #2
Suicide Squad #11

Undiscovered Country #9
X-O Manowar #2
X-Ray Robot #3
Strange Adventures #7

That Texas Blood #5

Kick-Ass Vs. Hit-Girl #1
Seven Secrets #4

Marvel Unlimited
Black Widow #1
Empyre #6
Fantastic Four #23

DC Universe
Metal Men #2
Flash #82
The Green Lantern #10
The Green Lantern #11
The Green Lantern #12
Hawkman #18
The Terrifics #14
The Terrifics #15

DCeased: Hope At World's End #15 - Thank goodness that is finally over.  A fine enough ending and wrap up to this story but overall it's a "C" to "C-" in my opinion.  The art really did it a diservice by looking too cartoony. 

DCeased: Dead Planet #6 - On the other hand...Good issue!  All the different threads are coming together and a better Justice League Dark there is not.  Can't wait for next issues big battles.

The Boys: Dear Becky #6 - ROFLMAO.  I didn't see that last couple of pages coming so that was a great funny surprise.  Looks like the history part is wrapping up and we're moving on to who sent the book.  Still a fun series.

That Texas Blood #5 - Well that's the end of that arc.  A little closer to the murderer but the path that Randy is going down is the real story.  He's on a path that just can not end well.  Very Criminal like, this book is and I like it.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »

X-O Manowar #2 - This was a decent issue but I should really let this one go as my own personal interest just isn't there.  I already have issue #3 pre-ordered so I'll see if I feel the same after reading that one next month.

Issue one was so bad for me, taking the character in a totally different direction, I decided that was it for me. I may come back once this run is over and anew one starts, but I have no interest in Manowar being this guy ... almost like a Thunderstrike run that I (somewhat) remember. Add in the totally generic art and yeah, not for me.
 Undecided

I have the rest of Bloodshot and Ria to read, both ending at issue #10 I believe but Manowar is out. The one comic I was, surprisingly, really looking forward to is the new Shadowman comic, but it has no disappeared from Valiants release calendar ... so I have no idea when/if that is hitting? I really wanted to read that one. It seemed they finally had a good approach that looked interesting. I hope it still hits. Other than that ... yeah, Valiant has gone way down in quality and the pandemic had nothing to do with that
 Undecided

X-Ray Robot #3 - This feels like it's been going on for six issues already and we're actually only on #3!  I guess that could be either good or bad.  Still pretty confusing but time travel/mulitversal stories always do at first.

"read" the first issue. Not sure I will get this when it finishes or not. I will let you guide me on that  Grin

Strange Adventures #7 - I should have waited and read this in Collected Edition.  Moves too slow going from month to month and with all the out of sync story telling it's hard to understand what part in time I'm looking at.  It bleeds together a little too much.  I'm expecting a good payoff by the end but it's a little painful getting there at this pace.

Yep, exactly what I wanted to do. But I can't stay away. But I should. Maybe I will  Grin

DCeased: Hope At World's End #15 - Thank goodness that is finally over.  A fine enough ending and wrap up to this story but overall it's a "C" to "C-" in my opinion.  The art really did it a diservice by looking too cartoony.

Agree. Just a ... yeah...  Undecided

DCeased: Dead Planet #6 - On the other hand...Good issue!  All the different threads are coming together and a better Justice League Dark there is not.  Can't wait for next issues big battles.

Agree again.  Cheesy

Have you tried Taylor's digital "Injustice: Year Zero" yet? If not, try the first issue and see if it grabs you. It is an alternate world tale AND it has the Joker as the main baddie, but it makes me get the feels ... in a bad way ... but dang it is worth it, to me anyway.

That Texas Blood #5 - Well that's the end of that arc.  A little closer to the murderer but the path that Randy is going down is the real story.  He's on a path that just can not end well.  Very Criminal like, this book is and I like it.

Dang it. I was hoping that #5 would be the last issue so I could read it and be done, not just a pause. Or ... or is it going to be more like Criminal where the story is over, I can read it, and then, if I choose, come back in at v4 and read another part of the universe ... still be able to get a good story?

I suspect it is a continuing story and they are just taking a break?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 04:11:13 PM »

Dang it. I was hoping that #5 would be the last issue so I could read it and be done, not just a pause. Or ... or is it going to be more like Criminal where the story is over, I can read it, and then, if I choose, come back in at v4 and read another part of the universe ... still be able to get a good story?

Looks like I was wrong. Next issue (#6) is the end of the story.  It’s already out, I’m just waiting for the price drop to grab it.

Have you tried Taylor's digital "Injustice: Year Zero" yet? If not, try the first issue and see if it grabs you. It is an alternate world tale AND it has the Joker as the main baddie, but it makes me get the feels ... in a bad way ... but dang it is worth it, to me anyway.

I read the first Injustice series and really liked it but haven’t tried this one yet.  Is it on DC Universe yet?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »

That Texas Blood #5 - Well that's the end of that arc.  A little closer to the murderer but the path that Randy is going down is the real story.  He's on a path that just can not end well.  Very Criminal like, this book is and I like it.

Looks like I was wrong. Next issue (#6) is the end of the story.  It’s already out, I’m just waiting for the price drop to grab it.

Sweet (but ... you know you didn't address my questions, yeah?  Cheesy Grin)

I read the first Injustice series and really liked it but haven’t tried this one yet.  Is it on DC Universe yet?

The first two issues of Year Zero are indeed up there. Just don't read them when you want to go to bed completely happy and with a feeling that all is well in the world (unless I am thinking of something a little further down the line.  Cheesy)  I know I was kinda upset. But again, alternate universe and all so I calmed down (and it was done well)
 Smiley

EDIT - okay,. I just flipped through issue #2 ... you're all good. I guess what I was thinking of comes a little later than I thought.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:40:24 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS