HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:06:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 25, 2020  (Read 3199 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 25, 2020, 08:33:16 PM »

Keeping ComiXology and MU lists smaller so I can hopefully finally get to that two week old DC Universe list!

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Force #14 - Chapter 17
   Hellions #6 - Chapter 18
   Cable #6 - Chapter 19
   Excalibur #15 - Chapter 20
   X-Men #15 - Chapter 21
   X of Swords: Destruction #1 - Chapter 22

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre
   Captain Marvel #19
   Empyre: Avengers #2
   Captain Marvel #20
   Lords of Empyre: Swordsman #1
   Empyre: Captain America #2
   Empyre #5

DC Universe
Superman Family #182 (1974) - can’t remember why I put this in my list so I might as well find out.
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
Batman & the Outsiders Annual #1
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #3
The Green Lantern #9
The Green Lantern Annual #1

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 03:39:55 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Force #14 - Chapter 17
   Hellions #6 - Chapter 18
   Cable #6 - Chapter 19
   X-Men #15 - Chapter 21

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre
   Captain Marvel #19
   Captain Marvel #20
   Empyre #5

DC Universe
Superman Family #182 (1974)
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13

The Green Lantern #9

I decided to go ahead and start on the DC comics first. That way I can definitely get through them.  Grin

Superman Family #182 (1974) - I can’t remember why I put this in my read list but it was fun to read an old 70’s version of the Super-Man clan.  Minus Superbaby of course.  Cheesy

Flash #81 - Yuck.  I really didn’t like this.  Might be the art that got to me.  Just glad this arc is over and hoping for something better or I’m out.

The Terrifics #13 - I’m not a fan of the villains in this arc but do like having the team back together.  Plus a journey through the multiverse can’t be too bad.  It will be interesting seeing how this Mr. Terrific stuff plays out.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »

No time to write it up right now, but the X of Swords "complete tonal shift" for this week is just as jarring as the one prior. From serious threat, to comedic tone and now back to serious threat.
Add in that I am still not 100% sure what the outcome here will be, regarding a certain "mutant" (I won't go into those spoilers yet) I feel a little lost. But hey, that all ties in with how we can go from
having sword battles to freakin' fashion runway contests all the way back to fighting what looks to be the beasts/elder gods of H.P. Lovecraft
... yeah my head is still reeling

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Force #14 - Chapter 17
   Hellions #6 - Chapter 18
   Cable #6 - Chapter 19
   X-Men #15 - Chapter 21

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre
   Captain Marvel #19
   Captain Marvel #20
   Empyre #5

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13

The Green Lantern #9

All right Perry, I finished the DC list.  X-Men are next!

Batman & the Outsiders Annual #1 - One shot story about Katana and what’s going on in her sword.  Interesting but glad it was only one issue.

Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #3 - Maybe this is why I added the Superman Family issue?  It follows the same format.  This reminds me of Fractions Hawkeye.  I’m liking it so far and the mystery is getting more interesting.

The Green Lantern #9 - More Morrison weirdness.  But the different world heroes were cool to see.  Loved the ending.  I’m getting tired of multiverse stories but hippy Green Lantern has promise.

The Green Lantern Annual #1 - throw away issue and really kind of dull.  I’d say skip it if you can.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Force #14 - Chapter 17
   Hellions #6 - Chapter 18
   Cable #6 - Chapter 19
   Excalibur #15 - Chapter 21
   X-Men #15 - Chapter 20

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre
   Captain Marvel #19
   Captain Marvel #20
   Empyre #5

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13

The Green Lantern #9

X of Swords
   X-Force #14 - I like Magik and Storms battles best in this one. The rest were fine but of course too fast.  I’m getting the point.

Hellions #6 - Wow.  What a crazy way for this to end up.  Now I’m curious for what happens next issue.

Cable #6 - That read pretty fast.  Kind of a cheat getting to the final battle coming up next chapter.

X-Men #15 - Chapter 20 - A good issue as things come to a head in the Quiet council and Apocalypse fights the final competition.  I enjoyed this issue.

Excalibur #15 - Back to being a decent story as we March towards the end. One issue to go.

X of Swords: Destruction #1 - Well that’s it.  It’s all over.  All that just....
to bring back the Captain Britain Corps.
Seems like we could have done that with a lot fewer issues. But overall not a bad event.  I have to digest what this all means for the future but for now, I’m ok with it.

I think I feel good enough to say I’m pushing all of the X-books to MU.  I love Hickmans X-World but I can wait three months.  It’ll go fast with the holidays here.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »

So wait, Jeff,

Wolverine having to walk a runway for a fashion show ... that act being one of the contest didn't bother you?
One of the contest being whomever can put together a jig-saw puzzle the fastest, didn't bother you?
And an eating contest? AN EATING CONTEST?

For me, that week, the X-Force book alone, just took me right out of the feeling of "impending doom" I had held for my X-men (... opps ... X-Men  Wink) when you have laughable (although fun) contests like these. It was very jarring for me.

Don't get me wrong, the last 3 issue brought it back around, but it doesn't change the fact we had a drunken Wolverine playing Tyra Banks at one point in this event!
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 01:27:38 AM »

Wolverine having to walk a runway for a fashion show ... that act being one of the contest didn't bother you?
One of the contest being whomever can put together a jig-saw puzzle the fastest, didn't bother you?
And an eating contest? AN EATING CONTEST?

What the...clearly I glanced over that page too fast.  Or maybe fast enough since I didn’t see those first two.  That third one I saw and just thought it was dumb but moved on.  I’ll have to go back and look at those pages I guess.  But do I really want to?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:34:33 AM »

I went back and looked and yeah, I just mainly looked at the scores and glanced over those one panel contests. Glad they didn’t spend more time on those.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »

Grin
Yeah, it was bad. Sorry you had to go back and see it, but at least it didn't take you out of the story like it did me.

Wish I would've done it your way.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 12:58:32 AM »

Great, it seems Slott has done pissed off more people with his latest F.F.  ... I have to go get issue #26 now to see what's up!
(Even though I have heard what it is ... I want to see how this was handled)

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 01:56:25 PM »

Happy Football Sunday!!

Web of Venom: Carnage Born - I was suppose to read this BEFORE Venom #9 (oops)
Web of Venom: Unleashed - The second of ... 6 or 7 "Web of Venom" one-shots and just enforces my feeling that, as much as I am amazed and loving my new found Venom love, I can't stand Carnage. No ... that's not right, I just have no interest at all in the character so it just brings the fun down for me. I know their is an Absolute Carnage mini/tie-in coming up, but man, I hope I can get by that and get back to this surprising new enjoyment of Cate's Venom

Suicide Squad #11Cry And so ends a really good damn series. Far too soon, but wow, what a nice surprise for us with one character  Smiley. I sure hope to see this "new team" down the road.!!! Goodbye good DC comic. Farewell!
 Grin

X-Men #15
Excalibur #15
X of Swords: Destruction #1
- Luckily this event saved itself with these last three issue. After the totally stupid X-Force issue from last week I was really scared that this would end with me throwing my hands up in the air and removing myself from all X books again. But yeah, the event ended well enough that I will be continuing with a few X titles, but moving the ones I will be reading to MU. I have no qualms about waiting three months for Cable, Marauders, X-Men and probably Wolverine (even though I am not much a fan of the writer). Also Sword when that hits, if that is going to be considered part of the X universe. Of course if it isn't, I will still read it Cheesy

Widowmakers: Red Guardian and Yelena #1 - Just a read. Certainly ties into the Black Widow movie

Conan the Barbarian #16 - Man, I wish this title was even an option for me to read it on MU. I think I would go that route, I think, but I have to read it ... one way or the other. Most new Conan stories are pretty much like every other Conan story through the years, although this arc was a true gem, but I can't pull myself away from my main man Conan. No matter how redundant it feels at times  Undecided

What is it about muscled out dudes that I have to read? Conan and Hulk are monthly must buys for me  Cheesy Is there something the wife needs to know?
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 02:41:44 PM »

A couple more last night -

Thor #9 - Yep, proving itself each month to be a ... "worthy" purchase  Wink
Strange Academy #5 - While this one has lost its luster and now moving to MU only  Cry
Savage Avengers #14 - Dropping. Was only getting for Conan and not on MU, but no longer worth it Cry
Fantastic Four #26 - Had to read this one to see what the outcry was about. I mean a specific outcry, not the usual "Slott sucks" outcry, but a plot or character "change" going forward that I heard about. I'm not sure about this turn actually. Not sure if I like it or loath it or apathetic to it ... will have to give it some thought I suppose. That said, while I found I did really enjoy the two new younger additions to the FF title (still not a fan of "Sky" ... Torch's new "soul mate"). I enjoyed the little ones so much so that they almost saved the issue. Almost. This is still not a good book. Still very clustered. Still very Slotty. I also have no interest in the "bad guy" at the end of the issue.

Web of Venom: Carnage Born
Web of Venom: Unleashed

Suicide Squad #11

X-Men #15
Excalibur #15
X of Swords: Destruction #1

Conan the Barbarian #16
Widowmakers: Red Guardian and Yelena #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 05:27:45 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Force #14 - Chapter 17
   Hellions #6 - Chapter 18
   Cable #6 - Chapter 19
   Excalibur #15 - Chapter 21
   X-Men #15 - Chapter 20

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre
   Captain Marvel #19
   Captain Marvel #20
   Empyre #5

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13

The Green Lantern #9

Empyre - while not a great event I’m surprised to find I’m not hating it as much as I expected too.

Captain Marvel #19 - I kind of like Captain Marvel’s sister. Interactions with the cat are funny.

Empyre: Avengers #2 - one of the better tie-ins.  Ka-Zar and the Savage land is a fun setting.

Captain Marvel #20 - the wrap up with the many hammered was eh. But sister and cat. Gold.

Lords of Empyre: Swordsman #1 - some insight into the “Swordsman” and his motives but not enough to accept the premise of this event.

Empyre: Captain America #2 - first issue was better.  This should have been a one shot. I’m bored now.

Empyre #5 - this main book isn’t bad.  Glad this part of the story is coming to a close though.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 05:54:44 PM »

Batman Beyond #49
Excalibur #15
Flash #766
Wonder Woman #767... last issue ( dropped from my pull).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS