HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:25:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Deadpool 3 premieres in theaters May 3, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 11, 2020  (Read 3544 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 11, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »

More X or Swords, the last Witcher mini, Empyre, and DC catch-up.

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Marauders #15 - Chapter 14
   Excalibur #14 - Chapter 15
   Wolverine #7 - Chapter 16
RAI #9
Decorum #5
Bloodshot #9
Redneck #28
Seven Secrets #3
Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #1
Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #2
Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #3
Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #4

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four #22 - Empyre Tie-In
Empyre #4
Lords of Empyre: Celestial Messiah #1
Empyre Handbook #1
Doctor Strange #6
Guardians of the Galaxy #5

DC Universe
Superman Family #182 (1974) - can’t remember why I put this in my list so I might as well find out.
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
Batman & the Outsiders Annual #1
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #3
The Green Lantern #9
The Green Lantern Annual #1

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »

Marauders #15
Excalibur #14
Power Rangers #1
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:29:57 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords

RAI #9
Decorum #5
Bloodshot #9
Redneck #28
Seven Secrets #3

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #4
Empyre Handbook #1
Doctor Strange #6

DC Universe
Superman Family #182 (1974) - can’t remember why I put this in my list so I might as well find out.
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
The Green Lantern #9

X of Swords
   Marauders #15 - Chapter 14 - A bit of a let down after the cliff hanger ending from the previous chapter. But the action should get good in the next chapter.

Excalibur #14 - Chapter 15 - nope. This was very stupid.  Just dumb.

Wolverine #7 - Chapter 16 - The dumbness continues with Magik’s battle but changes with Wolverines fights.  Got much better the second half of the book.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 11:13:17 AM »

Excalibur #14 - Chapter 15 - nope. This was very stupid.  Just dumb.

I agree! What was the whole wedding about? Made zero sense and lame AF.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 11:22:57 PM »

I have read

Aquaman 51-52

Deathstroke 49!!! I love that Pasarin has mostly been the artist for the entirety of this run. Gotta get out to my old LCS to find the last 6 issues I don't physically own.

Shazam 6-7: So, I own up to issue 5. 6 and 7 are on here...that's it? WTF DC!!! Where is Geoff Johns?! Has he been ousted, or seriously is only writing Doomsday Clock, 3 Jokers, and is done?  Just...WHAT?!

Flash Forward 2: Reading this to get to the final issue and
the Moebius Chair.

Symbiote Spider-man Alien Reality 5/5: I was down with this when it started, and I still love reading into this era. Got to see my favorite Hobby again!

Amazing Spider-man 45 : Oh man! I liked that
goofy as all get out 'Overdrive' and his powers to transform any car! LOL

New Mutants 5 and Marauders 6, and X-men 5 as I continue to try and get caught up to X stories present on Unlimited.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »

Based on my love of Mar-Vell Kree history, I'm probably gonna have some choice words about this story. I HATE Hulkling's origin.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 03:29:19 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords

RAI #9
Decorum #5
Bloodshot #9
Redneck #28
Seven Secrets #3

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #4
Empyre Handbook #1
Doctor Strange #6

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
The Green Lantern #9

RAI #9 - The conflict with Fusion continues.  Good issue.

Decorum #5 - the tests and training for our new assassin moves forward.  A good issue for this strange story.

Bloodshot #9 - Nice wrap up for this arc. Was this the final issue of the series?

Redneck #28 - This I LOVED.  Anything that ends with...
”We’re going to Texas and we’re going to burn it to the ground.”
...has me all over it!

Seven Secrets #3 - another comic with training going on.  Good issue prepping our protagonist for what I hope is his eventual revenge.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »

Have to double check, but I don't think I have read anything in the last couple days, but poppin' in to talk a tad
 Smiley

Marauders #15
Excalibur #14

Rodney, was there no desire to get the Wolverine issue to finish that part of the story or did you not care to ... or was it just out?   Grin
Of course you may have saved yourself as from what I understand, and Jeff's thoughts here kinda push it even more, is that there have been better issues of the event.
 Grin

Shazam 6-7: So, I own up to issue 5. 6 and 7 are on here...that's it? WTF DC!!! Where is Geoff Johns?! Has he been ousted, or seriously is only writing Doomsday Clock, 3 Jokers, and is done?  Just...WHAT?!

Grin
Maybe they want all the digital peeps to feel the same longing that the the print guys felt with all the delays?
 Cheesy Cheesy
But hey, according to the Shazam guys, the next issue you need to read is "Infected: King Shazam" before your read issue 8 anyway
 Grin
(I have no idea if it is at all connected to Johns run, I would assume not, but that is what they have listed on the "Fandom - Shazam Wiki"  Grin)

RAI #9 - The conflict with Fusion continues.  Good issue.
Bloodshot #9 - Nice wrap up for this arc. Was this the final issue of the series?

Rai has one more issue to go, ending at 10 it seems  Undecided, but issue #10 of Bloodshot starts a new arc (same creative team)

Seven Secrets #3 - another comic with training going on.

Forgot to get this, and haven't quite decided if I am going to wait or not, but it reminded me ... are you getting Fire Power? 5 issue out, but I have only read the first three.
It is getting better. Still not close to Aja and Fraction's Iron Fist, but then again what is  Wink, but yeah, getting better. Not sure it will make it to an issue 50, if they even have plans on trying, and the last two issues could totally suck ass  Cheesy, but yeah, its getting better.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 08:07:24 PM »

Forgot to get this, and haven't quite decided if I am going to wait or not, but it reminded me ... are you getting Fire Power? 5 issue out, but I have only read the first three.
It is getting better. Still not close to Aja and Fraction's Iron Fist, but then again what is  Wink, but yeah, getting better. Not sure it will make it to an issue 50, if they even have plans on trying, and the last two issues could totally suck ass  Cheesy, but yeah, its getting better.

What is the “Prelude OGN” graphic novel?  Is it a collection of the first few issues or a true Pelude story you need before issue 1?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 10:08:18 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords

RAI #9
Decorum #5
Bloodshot #9
Redneck #28
Seven Secrets #3

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #4
Empyre Handbook #1
Doctor Strange #6

DC Universe
Flash #81
The Terrifics #13
The Green Lantern #9

Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #1-4 - For someone who had a hard time getting into the show I sure have turned a corner on the Witcher.  This was a fun mini which I enjoyed.  I’ve turned into a Witcher fan.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 01:02:21 AM »

What is the “Prelude OGN” graphic novel?  Is it a collection of the first few issues or a true Pelude story you need before issue 1?

Yes, it is a prelude.
Originally it was going to be a trade given out on FCBD Cool but as Covid kinda wrecked plans for this years FCBD all around, that didn't happen. It does give you a pretty good amount of background, so I think it is worth getting, but you may want to try the first issue first, to see if you even want to read the series before throwing down for the Prelude stuff.  It is a prelude and so they say you don't necessarily need it and it has indeed been awhile since I did, but I remember thinking differently when I read the first couple issues of the main series. I remember being glad I read the OGN first.

Witcher: Of Flesh and Flame #1-4 - For someone who had a hard time getting into the show I sure have turned a corner on the Witcher.  This was a fun mini which I enjoyed.  I’ve turned into a Witcher fan.

And now that you read the stories I think you should go back and watch the series from the beginning. Again, they suck at telling you this, but most of the series is out of order, they go back many years in time without telling anyone, but if you know the stories you should be able to watch it more easily as you know when in the timeline they occur.
I think we get the first episode, and then, it goes all ove the place (IE episode 6 of 8 is actually a very early story in his timeline, and so is episodes 2, 3, 4 and 5 and it isn't until episode 7 that we get the next chapter of what we saw in episode one. Confused yet?
There is no warning or notice, we just jump back in time for the next four or five episodes/stories before coming back to what should have been episode two ... which is episode 7 ... or the 8 total.
They made it way more damn confusing than it needed to be or should have ever been.
It was stupid
 Undecided Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 01:17:44 PM »

Might be another slow week for me
 Undecided

Marauders #15
Excalibur #14
- Combining these because, well, we all know why  Grin I was a little worried about this run (although I still have Wolverine to get to) as all I heard was that it was ... not the best.
But ... oh boy ... honestly, while I totally see why people have issues, and I thought Marauders was both a little too clustered (too much too fast) and was a little too rapid (with the first fight being pretty much a one hit and done battle), I really did end up liking the Excalibur issue.
 Shocked
I know, I know, I do get the complaints and I get it, but it was really well written and I like the fact that these "battles" are nothing like what we thought was going to happen.

That said, I find the "switch" to be totally out of step of what has happened prior ... totally out of "plot structure". It has gone from an "I hate you and will slice your throat" feeling to a party for teens ... where after spinning the bottle two of them have to go into the closet for one minute and not talk about what they did while in there. Like Hickman told the guys -
"Okay I get us to this point and you guys do what you want."
It feels like a completely different third act. Like if you watched The Haunting of Hill House and then about 2/3rds of the way through they cut in the movie Clue! I love the movie Clue and I enjoyed the Haunting of Hill House (all of them) but I don't want them combined.

We went from dark and brooding feel a couple issues ago to almost slapstick now. Very odd

So yes, while I did enjoy the read (Excalibur especially), I totally understand why peeps are mad or less than satisfied. I am curious if Wolverine brings it back around or continues in the same manner as the first two. Hopefully I will see soon
 Smiley

Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #2 - A very good, but more jovial story by my boy Tom Talyor. Not really funny, I mean we are talking about a demon possessing a kid afterall, but I think Darrick Robertson's art is what tricks the mind into feeling the "funny" more than the "horror". Usually I would complain about the art not matching the story and with what I just said, what I always say, it would seem that is what I am doing again, but I like Robertson's art and Constantine is known to be a funny asshole at times so I am okay with this  Cheesy Sadly only one more issue to go but right now I enjoying this.

Venom #4
Venom #5
Venom #6
- I know he's well loved and I get why, Stegman can make a panel look amazing, but I am now thinking (especially in guided or panel view ... whatever it is called) that Stegman is just as bad as Ramos at drawing panels that leave me wondering what in the hell I am looking at. I just can't tell what he is drawing sometimes. Is that a mouth? Part of the eye? An arm? Venom's pecker? I just don't know!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »

DCeased: Hope at World's End #13 - Art has gone total cartoon-esque. I don't mind, but it is jarring.
Injustice: Year Zero #10 - This is moving too slow. Still good, but needs a "collected" read through.
Hawkman #29 Ohhh, sadly, the last of this grand series. The art by Pasarin is the best I have seen from him. I already liked his stuff, but man, the first half of this book blew me away. So damn good. Oh, and the last page was both revealing (time wise) and pretty cool (for fans of a certain group)  Smiley

Wolverine #7 - Not sure how I feel about this book mainly because the art was frustrating at times for me. While I enjoyed the stylized aspect of it, it was also a little too much as it kept taking me out of the flow as panel progreesion was kinda wonky. The good news was that this issue brought the story back around to a more serious tone or a more pressing one at least (even though there was a lot of sitting around  Cheesy). Enjoyed it overall. Interested to see what next weeks lot of three gives us.

Marauders #15
Excalibur #14

Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #2

Venom #4
Venom #5
Venom #6

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 01:36:32 PM »

Just got one more in last night but decided to hit up DCU and try something new

Metal Men #1 - Always been a fan of this team. More nostalgically than anything, mainly as Metal Men was one of the first DC Silver Age comics I remember reading completely through. Back when I was ten and won a stack of comics from the neighborhood kids playing Jarts Yard Darts (back when they were pointy and "dangerous" Smiley)
For this issue, it was an okay start, I don't remember much of the Doc being mentally a little off like they show here, but I think some of that may have happened over the years or even in stuff like 52 (which I still need to read ... Soon?) so I can't speak of how he is being portrayed, if it a correct viewpoint or no.
Even though this was a decent read, sadly there was not much Metal Men action ... certainly a set-up issue if there ever was one, but I liked it enough to check out the next one when it hits.
 Smiley

Marauders #15
Excalibur #14

Wolverine #7

Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #2
DCeased: Hope at World's End #13
Injustice: Year Zero #10
Hawkman #29

Venom #4
Venom #5
Venom #6

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS