HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:00:39 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 21, 2020  (Read 4956 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 21, 2020, 05:20:00 PM »

Had to bring some over from last week but not a lot.  This week however, has a lot on it’s own!

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Excalibur #13 - Chapter 9
   X-Men #13 - Chapter 10
Juggernaut #2
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #12
Something is Killing the Children #11
Undiscovered Country #8
Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #4
Low #25
Hidden Society #3
Gideon Falls #25
Black Magick #14
20XX #6
Trillium Deluxe Edition (Collects Trillium issues #1-8)

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #1
Empyre: Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four #21 - Empyre Tie-In
Guardians of the Galaxy #4
Immortal Hulk #35
Spider-Woman #2
Amazing Spider-Man #44
Dr. Strange #5
Strange Academy #2
Marvels X #4

DC Universe
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 01:38:37 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Men #13 - Chapter 10

Juggernaut #2
Undiscovered Country #8
Low #25
Hidden Society #3
Gideon Falls #25
Black Magick #14
20XX #6

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #1

Immortal Hulk #35
Spider-Woman #2
Amazing Spider-Man #44
Dr. Strange #5
Strange Academy #2
Marvels X #4

DC Universe
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

X of Swords
   Excalibur #13 - Chapter 9 - Ugh.  I can't stand this book with Betsy as Captain Britain.  It's a shame this event seems to focus so much on the characters from this time in the X-Men's past.  I want Betsy back as Psylocke, plain and simple.  At least we got two swords out of this book so we can move along.

X-Men #13 - Chapter 10 - I was starting to get lost in all the detail in this book but Hickman pulled it together for me by the end.  This book I liked.

Juggernaut #2 - Battle with the Hulk = Like.  Sappy guilt trip laid on Juggernaut = been there, done that.  Now that MU is going to three months I'm going to wait on the last three issues of this mini and get them there.

Empyre #1 - Hmmmm.  Not as bad as I thought it would be.  Actually off to a good start.

Empyre: Fantastic Four - Oops.  I read this out of order.  This comes BEFORE Empyre #1.  But it was a nice little one shot Fantastic Four story.  I enjoyed it for what it was.

Fantastic Four #21 - Empyre Tie-In - Started out pretty cool with the origin of the Kree and Skrull kids from the above one shot.  Then went downhill fast.  Ugh.  The writing in this book has not improved.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »

Batman #101
Excalibur #13... Sorry, Jeff, I really like this team. Although Captain Avalon is a lame name.
Justice League #55
Spider Woman #5
Teen Titans #46... really surprised this hasn't been cancelled yet.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 03:22:27 PM »

It has.  Grin Next issue is the last. 

But so has my beloved Suicide Squad and Hawkman!!!!  Angry Angry Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »

It has.  Grin Next issue is the last. 

But so has my beloved Suicide Squad and Hawkman!!!!  Angry Angry Angry

As much as I despise Damian as a Robin and a character, he carried the team.  Not shocked about the Squad. When the first issue starts with a bunch of newbies, it won't last a year.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »

Excalibur #13... Sorry, Jeff, I really like this team. Although Captain Avalon is a lame name.

I’m glad you like it!  I’m sure my ire comes from my love of Psylocke and my disappointment that she’s Captain Britain instead of Brian.  A lot of my favorite characters are on this team (Rogue, Gambit, and Jubilee) so I’m sure my expectations are too high.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:30:42 PM »

Not shocked about the Squad. When the first issue starts with a bunch of newbies, it won't last a year.

But it wasn't JUST new guys, and
a good many of those were killed in the first issue anyway
  Cheesy Cheesy But yeah, a lot of people see that list and decide not to try it. You're right. Sad as even with the new peeps, I think it was one of DC's best written books ... and the art was/is good too  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »

Well, after a three hour wait in my oncologist's patient room, not in the waiting room ... in the actual room where the doc comes in and talks to ya, I threw my hands up and left. Screw that. However, during that time I did get some reading in
 Cheesy
I was going to get Juggernaut #2, but Jeff scared me off that one. I guess that mini will be going to MU only now?
 Cheesy

Excalibur #13 - As a huge fan of all things British I should enjoy this book and the references more than I do. I mean come on, Merlin? Captain Britain? Avalon? Sword of Might and Amulet of Right? It all should be right up my alley, but I just don't seem to care that much.

X-Men #13 - Man, Loved the way this book tied Apocalypse back together with his primary goal of strength! All these years of him trying to find the strongest and eliminating the weak all makes perfect sense now. Superb.

Black Widow #1
Black Widow #2
- I know, I should have waited to read this, but after reading the first issue of Star on MU, I wanted to see what this Kelly Thompson could bring to Natasha. While I won't be getting anymore of this on release day, I damn sure will be looking to read this, as well as finish Star and read her other two Marvel titles (Deadpool and Captain Marvel) as they hit the MU. This wasn't an overly exciting book, but it was very well written and sometimes that is more than enough for me.

Thor #7
Thor #8
- Hmmmm, a two part fill-in story is all this is and I am not sure I liked it. I liked aspects of it, and enjoyed the art by Aaron Kuder, but ... I don't know ... Hell, I'm just looking forward to the next issue and getting back to some longer form.

Conan #15 - I so wish this title, this character, was available to me on MU ... I enjoy reading Conan so much, even if it is an often repetitive storyline, but let me say that if this particular arc does ever make its way to the MU landscape that everyone should read it. I have enjoyed this arc quite a bit and I never expected that with Zub as the writer. Not that he is bad at this kind of stuff (I hear his Skullkickers is pretty fun in-fact), but always imagined more comedy coming from him and I didn't think it a Conan fit. He has kept the "haha" to a minimum here though, so yeah, I'm impressed.

FF #25 - I know  Shocked Shocked Shocked Right? My boy Chris at the LCS once again convinced me to pick up a book. One that this time that I had no interest in getting for two reasons. One the damn price and the other the damn writer, but he swore to me that I would enjoy this one. Well ... crap, what could I do? And although I wasn't blown over, I will say that the addition of R.B. Silva and the new look certainly helped in making this book the best true FF issue I have read since Slott was on the book. Is it as good as Invisible Woman? No ... well ... hell ... almost? Let me say this, that this issue may not have pulled me back to getting my beloved family full time, but it damn sure did enough for me to look for issue #26 and above on MU when it hits. And maybe even get issue #26 before then  Shocked

Rorschach #1 - I think by this time my anger at having to wait in that room for that long with no end in sight was starting to get the best of me. I understood everything in the issue except for the "old tape" message part. I need to go back and re-read that to make sure it was akin to a séance or was it all some code or ... something?
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 03:30:32 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X-Men #13 - Chapter 10

Juggernaut #2
Undiscovered Country #8
Low #25
Hidden Society #3
Gideon Falls #25
Black Magick #14
20XX #6

Marvel Unlimited
Empyre #1

Immortal Hulk #35
Spider-Woman #2
Amazing Spider-Man #44
Dr. Strange #5
Strange Academy #2
Marvels X #4

DC Universe
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #12 - so I’m guessing the odd numbered issues are the bad ones and the even numbered issues are the good ones?  Because this one was good.   Grin

The Green Lantern #1-4 - I think this is as far as I got when this first came out.  Maybe time away is what was needed because by issue 4 I’ve become interested in seeing where this goes.  The first time out I had lost interest.  I’m looking forward to the next issue.  The Blackstars are interesting villains.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 03:58:35 AM »

Definitely keeping up reading more

Batman Rebirth, Batman 1-7 : starting up my Batman back log! I enjoy seeing more human Bruce already

X-force 2 : whoa. Dom.

X-men 2 : what a terribly weird 'voice'of Scott with Rachel and Nathan. Damed weird . And it was really dumb idea for the gift?I call this issue stupid.

Excalibur 2; I'm here for Marcus To's art, mostly. And to see what Apocalypse does.

Marauders 2: I almost... Don't have a clue what is going on or why

Amazing Spider-Man 44: man this title is just weak. Great conversation with MJ, but that's it. Blah fill in artist

Immortal Hulk 35: TERRIBLE fill in artist.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:07:41 AM »

I also looked through Superman 16-22, because the covers kept saying the fate of Rogol whatever and the true fate of Krypton. It's just... Dumb. That's all I felt reading it. The what of Jon, the fate of Jor-El, just felt underwhelming and lame to me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #12 - so I’m guessing the odd numbered issues are the bad ones and the even numbered issues are the good ones?

Cheesy

Didn't hit for me and Jeff at first either. And I can't speak for exactly why Jeff was let down with Marauders early on, but I know he, like myself, did not get into it at first. Then, for some reason, I picked it back up around ... issue 6 or so, maybe, and it hit. Hit pretty well too. Infact, before MU went to 3 months, I was still thinking of getting this (along with X-Men proper) on D.o.R. (Day of Release)

Just a couple -

Locke & Key: In Pale ...#2 - Oh the boy screwed up badly Shocked Man, how is this only a three issue mini?
DieDieDie #12 - I think I am walking away from this for a few. It is starting to wear on me and I am not sure if it is because I just don't want this kind of stuff right now (2020 fatigue) or if it is because I have read the Boys already and this is getting more and more like that

Venom #1 - Yep, jumped back to the MU (to read Star issue #2 honestly) and decided to start this series again. It is good, but with Marvel making Cates' stories the main focus for the next 500 years(? Grin) the main reason is this, I want to be in the know and this title is the baseline for a lot of what is coming.

Excalibur #13
X-Men #13
Black Widow #1
Black Widow #2

Thor #7
Thor #8

Conan #15
FF #25

Rorschach #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »

Didn't hit for me and Jeff at first either. And I can't speak for exactly why Jeff was let down with Marauders early on, but I know he, like myself, did not get into it at first. Then, for some reason, I picked it back up around ... issue 6 or so, maybe, and it hit. Hit pretty well too. Infact, before MU went to 3 months, I was still thinking of getting this (along with X-Men proper) on D.o.R. (Day of Release)

Stick with it Jimmy. I dropped it and came back.  It becomes one of the better titles.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »

Stick with it Jimmy. I dropped it and came back.  It becomes one of the better titles.

I'll stick with this one. I have no..inclination to read Fallen Angels, unless you guys overwhelmingly says YES to it

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:35 PM »

Fallen Angels is a 5 issue mini and gives you background into Kwannon (the new Psylocke).  It’s not a must read but it wasn’t bad either.  If I remember right, Perry didn’t like the art but it didn’t bother me.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS