HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:18:35 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 28, 2020  (Read 5365 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »

Nope, current series, current writing.

Hmmm, don't remember the universe doubles part. Damn brain  Grin 
I just remember the freeing of Hercules after fighting the Gods part. Unless your talking about Moondragon stuff? Maybe that is what you are referring to? But I thought that stuff hit a little later in the issues so now I ... I really don't know  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yup, that moment happened.  But I believe there are Perfect versions of people from another reality, and the real people have to deal with that. IT's...not been my favorite.

Hey JEFF!!!

I'm up to Green Lantern 9!

Okay, this stuff is a trip. but I won't lie the reading of it is hard. Morrison puts you right in the middle of the action, it's confusing, nonsensical...but it all gels by the issue end, and I find myself wanting to read more of what just happened-instead of it being done for another issue!!

I don't love it. I won't lie about that.

Liam Sharp has always made the most...bizarre figure drawing. What I Love about this currently, is that so much of his art here looks like a Tomb of Dracula, or Prince Valiant from the 70s, or cloth and people rendering/inking like Horror comics of the 60s. It just has this visual quality that is NOT done anymore. So, I dig that A LOT.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 11:04:22 PM »

OH yeah, in the X books I'm through all the issue 4's, 5's, and into the 6's.

Weird stuff, glad to be coming along. Sad a bit that it's not a Utopian X world, and even villains are still villainous.

Except Apocalypse. He's still him. But I think in this reality vision, he's enjoying being amongst the X-men instead of opposed to them.

Also, in Detective Rebirth, I forgot Tim Drake was killed! LOL

Spider-woman 1 & 2 was pretty good too. Got the feel of the prior volume, written by.....dammit, I can't remember!! EDIT Oh I looked it up. Dennis Hallum. That was some good stuff!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 11:10:18 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   X of Swords: Statis #1
Something is Killing the Children #11
Undiscovered Country #8
Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #4
Low #25
Hidden Society #3

Gideon Falls #25
Black Magick #14
20XX #6
Trillium Deluxe Edition (Collects Trillium issues #1-8)
Suicide Squad #10
Ascender #13
The Boys: Dear Becky #5
The Department of Truth #1
Nailbiter Returns #5
Rorschach #1
That Texas Blood #4
X-Ray Robot #2

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #21
Empyre #2

Empyre Avengers #1
Empyre X-Men #1 (rereading to see how it fits)
Lords of Empyre: Emporer Hulkling
Doctor Aphra #2

DC Universe
The Green Lantern #5
The Green Lantern #6
The Green Lantern #7
The Green Lantern #8
Batman & the Outsiders #6
Hawkman #17
Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen #2
The Terrifics #12
Flash #80
Metal Men #1

--------------------------------------------

Suicide Squad #10 - not bad.  Glad that things are turning out the way they are with Ted Kord.

Dare Devil #21 - Another good issue even though it feels like we’ve been here many times before with Dare Devil.

Empyre #2 - Not terrible.  Not wowed but not hating it.  It’s an average story so far.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
Undiscovered Country #8
Low #25
Hidden Society #3

Gideon Falls #25
Black Magick #14
20XX #6
Suicide Squad #10
Ascender #13
Nailbiter Returns #5
Rorschach #1
That Texas Blood #4
X-Ray Robot #2

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #21
Empyre #2

Empyre Avengers #1
Doctor Aphra #2

DC Universe
The Green Lantern #5
The Green Lantern #6
The Green Lantern #7
The Green Lantern #8
Hawkman #17
The Terrifics #12
Flash #80
Metal Men #1

Empyre Avengers #1 - first half the writing was terrible.  Got better when they sent a team to the Savage Land.  Dialogue is still not great.

Empyre X-Men #1 - oh yeah.  I remember all of this being pointless.  No need to reread anymore.

Lords of Empyre: Emporer Hulkling - the background to Hulkling becoming Emporer.  Makes him out to be kind of a wimpy ruler.  But the villainous side characters are made more interesting.

Doctor Aphra #2 - More trouble with Aphra.  I like meeting the new characters and seeing how they deal with her.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 01:15:52 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
Undiscovered Country #8
Low #25
Hidden Society #3

Gideon Falls #25
Black Magick #14
20XX #6
Suicide Squad #10
Ascender #13

Nailbiter Returns #5
Rorschach #1
That Texas Blood #4
X-Ray Robot #2

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #21
Empyre #2

Empyre Avengers #1
Doctor Aphra #2

DC Universe
The Green Lantern #5
The Green Lantern #6
The Green Lantern #7
The Green Lantern #8
Hawkman #17
The Terrifics #12
Flash #80
Metal Men #1

Ascender #13 - Glad we’re moving forward.  Seems like we should farther along on this journey. Still love seeing these characters from Descender trickling in.

The Boys: Dear Becky #5 - what can I really say?  It’s The Boys.

The Department of Truth #1 - As much as I hated the stereotypes they were trying to push, I stuck with it.  And after reading that final page I was soooooo glad I did.  How did I NOT see that coming?  Shocked
 I am so onboard this book!  It’s off to a fantastic start.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 02:12:15 PM »

The Department of Truth #1 - As much as I hated the stereotypes they were trying to push...

Yeah, I thought that may hit you, but we all know rich people=evil people, so don't sweat it
 Wink
 Grin

...  after reading that final page I was soooooo glad I did.  How did I NOT see that coming?  Shocked

I KNOW!!! It was so obvious, but man I was like "Whoa!!"
 Grin

Going to read issue #2 tonight, I hope.

I swear, as soon as I make a list on this damn board, stating what I am "Going to read", I just stop reading anything. I think it is a hex that has been placed on me.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 11:39:02 PM »

Dammit Jeff, I think you're thoughts are TOO spot on

Daredevil does indeed feel like it's been here before. Nuts!

And if none of the Empyre reads well, I may as well quit it now

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »

No more damn lists for me. I just don't have the wherewithal like Jeff does to commit to reading what I put down. I am a fly by my pants reader and I must learn to accept that.
 Cheesy
But hey, as I inserted my list ... I actually did pretty well. Better than I thought.
 Cheesy

X of Swords: Status #1 - Had to read the first half of this twice as I think I was little too tired and not in a Hickman mood (?) the first time through. Once I got a better grasp on the ... what ever this quorum is ... I got a little more into it. It is good, setting up the battle to come.

Injustice Year Zero #9 - Didn't get time to get to it.
Suicide Squad #10 (Penultimate issue Cry) - Gonna wait for final issue now
Batman Three Jokers #3 - I finished this and it ended pretty stupid, but also much better than I thought it would. Does that make sense? Overall it wasn't a bad mini (had good art, but we've seen better from him) but walking away afterwards, I am not personally committed to making this ... any of it, canon
 Undecided

Colonel Weird: Cosmagog #1 - Loved seeing the Harrow County art again. Good start that highlights what this character is dealing with.

Department of Truth #2 - Not as declarative as the first issue as we get a little "is this real" with the main character, and the art, with this issue, looks more like ... does anyone remember the Marvel Epic line that had St. George and Doctor Zero comics in them? This issue looks a lot like the covers to those books. Last issue I said it was more Templesmith and Simonson (though I was thinking Sienkiewicz when I said Simonson  Undecided Grin), but this issue, yeah, I think whom ever did the art for that particular line of Epic Comics ... that is what this art looks like! Kinda cool!
 Smiley

EDIT - Had to look it up, but that St. George and Doctor Zero was on the Shadowline side of Epic. I knew it had another name to it, but couldn't remember. I wonder if those are on MU? Probably not due to Epic's pay structure I bet
 Undecided
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 04:18:24 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS