HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:49:43 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, October 14, 2020  (Read 20082 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 14, 2020, 01:16:02 PM »

New Comic Wednesday!

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Hellions #5 - Chapter 6
   New Mutants #13 - Chapter 7
   Cable #5 - Chapter 8
   X of Swords Handbook #1
Strange Adventures #6
Bloodshot #8
Seven Secrets #2
Stillwater #1
Trillium Deluxe Edition (Collects Trillium issues #1-8)

Marvel Unlimited
Hawkeye: Freefall #6
Empyre: Avengers
Immortal Hulk #34
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #3
Dare Devil #20

DC Universe
Hawkman #13
Hawkman #14
Hawkman #15
Hawkman #16
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »

Hawkman #13
Hawkman #14
Hawkman #15
Hawkman #16

I went back and read this arc after I read issue #28. Pretty fun!

The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

Oh I can't wait to see/hear your thoughts on THIS one!!!!
 Smiley
Get your Morrison on!!
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »

Very well Jeff! I'll go back and reread my Morrison GL...because I stopped at #3 to move...even though I bought through issue 7 and haven't been back to it yet!!

And I'm still digging Hawkman at 16. So, that's from issue 1 til then, and I still say all is good. Cheesy

I also read:

Marauders 1 (okay, it's a set up X-men book)
X-men 2 (ok, I learned I can't jump ahead of any of the #1's CHECK!!)
Immortal Hulk 35 - the Leader!!! I always have to read this first before I do anything else!!
Amazing Spider-man 37-gotta get back into the title. This was after that 2099 nonsense. a cute issue I guess. Spidey does use some time travel/future knowledge stuff to have the perfect day? I think that's what happened.
Captain America 16-20: I had thought I quit this, but here the first issue was in my saved list. So I read this one....then I mostly skimmed through the next one...then I looked through the next one...then I read the last page of issue 20. NOPE. Nothing here that interests me at all. I do remember that now. It's plodding, in narration and art. I can see why the artist isn't any A-lister. I get to be done with this one for good!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »

Had parents night at my daughter's soccer game and didn't get to my LCS.
Going this afternoon and will post my haul.
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 03:41:44 PM »

Slow week. Might need to add a few titles to my pull.

Dark Nights Death Metal #4
Flash #763
WW #764
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:48:29 PM »

Justice League 24-25 - So, weird. So...'bigly.' So..out there. But great for a Justice League tale! ...I believe...I hope...

Hawkman 17: Is Hawkman his own worst villain? End the Shadow Thief arc with Ch-ch-changes!

Deathstroke 48- there ARE two of them!! I gotta get to my LCS and physically buy the last 6 issues of this title to have. Priest, I say I love thee!!

Excalibur 1 -it's so hard to go back and forth between what is true about the X-men, and what is reset, and what still counts from any of the X titles 6-8 months before Hickman's reset.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 03:14:43 AM »

Amazing Mary Jane 2-6 -yeah this is just lame. Just needed to confirm this so I could feel okay taking it off my pull list.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 09:48:19 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Hellions #5 - Chapter 6
   Cable #5 - Chapter 8
   X of Swords Handbook #1

Strange Adventures #6
Bloodshot #8
Seven Secrets #2
Stillwater #1

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #34
Dare Devil #20

DC Universe
Hawkman #13
Hawkman #14
Hawkman #15
Hawkman #16
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

X of Swords
   Hellions #5 - Chapter 6 - Blech.  Can't wait to stop paying money for this.

New Mutants #13 - Chapter 7 - Good story between Magik and Cypher.  Nice to see they aren't just sitting around waiting for everyone to find their swords.

Cable #5 - Chapter 8 - Another good story with Cable, Cyclops, and Phoenix.  Will like coming back to this what happened to S.W.O.R.D. after X of Swords is over.

X of Swords Handbook #1 - Handy book to help bring us up to speed to some of the major characters.  Had to read the Moria MacTaggart section because her new origin is so cool.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 02:33:49 AM »

Man! I kinda hope I was in a poor mood (lately), that I didn't give a bunch of books an honest chance...although, if I was that way...then I missed out on some good books. I dunno; you guys tell me!

Annihilation Scourge Alpha & Omega: This was all junk. I "read" Nova tie in, skimmed into Silver Surfer, and ditched Beta Ray Bill. All junk. Blah. So much annoying, wasted words of the human language to again say "Rahr, universal church bad, oyh nos batteries are full; no wait, there is a sacrificing hero, we are gud!" Read all that nonsense before.

then, it's Guardians of the Galaxy 12: This volume was a waste. I think we've all agreed on that before. It was a volume of just waiting for something more to start...when it never did.

Daredevil 20: okay, backwards storytelling from me, but I started this night with this, and I thought yeah! A great comic night!!

Then I went Jane Foster Valkryie 9 & 10 ; CANCELLED? dammit covid! Shut down hiatus what have you, i'm sad to see this end!!

Amazing Spider-man 38-40: Some dumb story with Chance & Foreigner, dumb wages, and so much word balloons. Word balloons all over the F***ing place. Glad I don't pay money for this title.

Symbiote Spider-man 1-4 : Hells yeah, actually!! I love this time period! I love Hobby and Spidey with magic, it's so...out there, and it's just an 'untold tale' and won't change anything, and for a bit, I'm appreciative of Greg Lands stark and defined panels and scenes.

X-force 1: Ugh. Colorist sucks. Random fighty stuff. Not impressed with this. I don't feel the scope of X-men's new world with this title.

I think I may head back to my DC app for a while. I have Batman and Detective Comics to READ FROM THE START OF REBIRTH. Tha's 80+ issues each! 60+ issues of Flash too!! Liking that thought much more right now.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »

New Mutants #1: I love the familiarity of the characters just being old friends along with each other. I just think it's kind of weird of stupid to go 'lets go to space and visit Sam!' Just very odd to me.

Amazing Spider-man 41-43: aw, a gog back story. I was glad to see Ryan Ottley back for all the art duties here. gog back story was very cute, Boomerang's 'solo telling' tale was fun. A decent bit of issues to read here.

Thor 1-5 : Wow. Just...where it went after Aaron's run. I think I'll check and see if there is a forum thread on this new movement of Thor comics. I think I'm ...blown away...in a decent way. I just feel...surprised by all of it.

I'm almost at only reading my X comics now! LOL

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »

I will try that Valkyrie title again because I do want to see why Jimmy liked it and I never gave it the 3 issue try anyway, but as for my Marvel reading, I find I am less ... saddened or disappointed if I stick to the titles written by Cates, Ewing, Zdarsky, Hickman, Young and Duggan (minus any Guardian stuff  Grin) Also, Waid, but I think he is now gone  Embarrassed Cry

I also heard that Kelly Thompson is killing it on Captain Marvel, Deadpool and Black Widow so I dipped into her Star mini-series (now up on MU), a new character from her Captain Marvel run, and I did like what I read, though I was a little confused so I will probably pause and go back and read the CM issues she showed up in before heading back to the Star title. I also may add Thompson to the list above when I try that new Black Widow book ... if it hits
 Grin

Oh yeah, Aaron use to be in that pile of writers as well, but his Avengers stuff is just so bad ... no ... so damn bland that I can't read it and enjoy it at all. I even slogged through the recent Moon Knight arc so I could see some MK and I still wanted to fall asleep after each page. Heck, I even tried his recent creator stuff and I felt nothing. Not that it (Sea of Stars) was bad, only that I didn't feel anything from it. No sense of wonder or anxiety or ... anything. For a writer that use to pump me up (see everyone's comments on his Thor run for example), I get nothing from him now. I just don't know what happened to him. Or me, I suppose
 Undecided

I have a couple Maestro issues and I may give the Symbiote group of mini-series a glance as well (what are there now? 5 minis or so?) because Peter David is always up there for me ... well ... usually always.
 Smiley

Oh yeah, why I came here ... (not much so far)

Juggernaut #1 - Jeff said this was pretty good so I had to try it out. Yep, I liked it
Marvel Zombies Resurrection #2 - Oh, after such promise with #1 ... kinda fell off here. Trying #3
Strange Academy #3 - Always good, but once again Ramos pulls his famous "what the hell am I seeing in this panel" style that leaves me confused and angry. Still a good book so far.

Hellions #5
New Mutants #13
Cable #5
- Made sure I read these in order but there wasn't as much a necessary order in this group as the last, but still, ya never know. Really enjoyed all of these. Kinda getting pumped up, finally, for this event. Also getting excited for a SWORD series, again, if (when) that happens
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 07:32:44 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Hellions #5 - Chapter 6
   Cable #5 - Chapter 8
   X of Swords Handbook #1

Strange Adventures #6
Bloodshot #8
Seven Secrets #2
Stillwater #1

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #34
Dare Devil #20

DC Universe
Hawkman #13
Hawkman #14
Hawkman #15
Hawkman #16
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

Strange Adventures #6 - Good issue but as usual, Tynion is dragging this out too much.  Similar to his Mr. Miracle. I expect a better payoff in this series but it’s taking a long time to get there.

Bloodshot #8 - Not bad but I’m starting to get bored with this villain and story arc.

Seven Secrets #2 - Good issue moving the exploration of these characters along at a good pace.  And keeping enough mystery alive to make me want more.

Stillwater #1 - Ok. This was intriguing.  Big mystery around this town and why our hero has been called here.  I’m in!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 03:10:58 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords
   Hellions #5 - Chapter 6
   Cable #5 - Chapter 8
   X of Swords Handbook #1

Strange Adventures #6
Bloodshot #8
Seven Secrets #2
Stillwater #1

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #34
Dare Devil #20

DC Universe
Hawkman #13
Hawkman #14
Hawkman #15
Hawkman #16
The Green Lantern #1
The Green Lantern #2
The Green Lantern #3
The Green Lantern #4

Hawkeye: Freefall #6 - Ok ending but I’m not thrilled with where they left Clint.  I can only assume another mini is in the works.

Empyre: Avengers - Not as bad as I expected.  In fact this was decent. Makes me a little more interested in Empyre except that I’ve heard nothing good about it.

Immortal Hulk #34 - The Leader! Awesome reimagining of his history.  Another A+ issue.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #3 - Fun battle with Bossk.  Not the best issue of the series but moves the story along.

Dare Devil #20 - great battle in Hell’s Kitchen.  Love the myriad cast of villains in this one.  Another thumbs up.

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 10:30:38 AM »

Empyre: Avengers - Not as bad as I expected.  In fact this was decent. Makes me a little more interested in Empyre except that I’ve heard nothing good about it.

the FF issues of Empyre were better than the Avenger tie-ins
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »

Strange Adventures #6 - Good issue but as usual, Tynion is dragging this out too much. 

And I bet Tom King is also dragging this out   Grin

Bloodshot #8 - Not bad but I’m starting to get bored with this villain and story arc.

Sadly, my desire to stay up on Valiant is waning. I think all the changes in editorial and management in general has finally taken its toll. Still enjoy Rai, but have a feeling if Ryp wasn't doing the art I would probably be gone from that title
 Cry

Seven Secrets #2 - Good issue moving the exploration of these characters along at a good pace.  And keeping enough mystery alive to make me want more.

Still wonder how it would have hit me if I had read the first two issues at different times. If I would have enjoyed it as much

Stillwater #1 - Ok. This was intriguing.  Big mystery around this town and why our hero has been called here.  I’m in!

Zdarsky's issue #2 hits this week. Was waiting to get the first two to try so glad to hear it starts off well

Just a threat that didn't seem too threatening to me  Cry

Knocked out a few more last night-

Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #3 - Better, but still think DCeased is a better property now

The Batman's Grave #1
The Batman's Grave #2
The Batman's Grave #3
The Batman's Grave #4
The Batman's Grave #5
- With the last issue soon to hit, now is the time for me to hit this puppy!!
 I know this is a bad thing to say but I still am not a huge Hitch fan. His torso's always look too damn long to me. Not sure why. Dale Eaglesham also has that same style. From waist to shoulder just looks too stretched out to me. Plus, with Ellis writing like a movie, lots of panels with no dialog, I really would like the look of the flying bodies to look a little more ... flowy? I don't know, my eyes just don't fully appreciate the Hitch  Grin It is certainly not bad art, it just takes me out of the flow from time to time.
Speaking of flow, one thing I love/hate about Ellis is his understanding of time between panels. I love it because his stuff reads as it should. It has proper beats to the action and feels like I am reading a movie instead of a comic. There is no jarring time hiccups, panels just flow from one to another in perfect timing, like an artistic dance. I also hate it because I read his books to damn fast because he uses the art to tell the story ... as he should.
 Cheesy
I find this new group to be pretty cool, mysterious if nothing else and enjoying the banter between Alfred and Bats even though, at times, it seems a tad off
 Undecided

Juggernaut #1
Marvel Zombies Resurrection #2
Strange Academy #3
Hellions #5
New Mutants #13
Cable #5

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS