HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:00:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 23, 2020  (Read 7223 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 02:52:39 AM »

Stopped back at my LCS and picked up:

Shazam #15
X-Men #12
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 05:06:45 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords: Creation #1
The Boys: Dear Becky #4
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #10
Family Tree #8

Juggernaut #1
Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7

Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3

John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #1
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #2
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #3
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #4
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #5

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #3
Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

--------------------------------------------

Suicide Squad #9 - I really thought I hated this issue. And I was mentally tagging all the things I hated so I could write them here.  And even though I saw it coming...I didn’t see the part after that coming!  Hopefully you know what I’m talking about if you read this.  And just like that...BAM! I loved this issue.

That Texas Blood #3 - Another good issue. But I have some minor gripes. And they are gripes that only someone from Texas would have.  First off, the character goes to a ranch in Irving.  Well, Irving is a suburb right in the middle of Dallas and Ft Worth.  It’s where the Cowboys used to play football.  There’s not a ranch in 20 miles of that town!  You can’t tell where Dallas ends and Irving begins.  It’s all city and suburbs.  Second they show a sign where Irving’s slogan is “We Shoot Straight With You.” That slogan belongs to the east Texas town where my brother in law lives - Gun Barrel City.  Yes - that is the towns real name which is why it’s slogan makes sense and is funny.  In the grand scheme of things for the purpose of this story these things don’t matter but wouldn’t it have been cooler to use Gun Barrel City as the name of the town?  And there are lots of ranches out there.  Other than those nit picky things - great story progression and I’m anxious to peal more layers of this onion.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 03:40:40 PM »

That Texas Blood #3 [...]  they are gripes that only someone from Texas would have.

Haven't read this, yet, so I avoided most of what you wrote,  Wink, but I did read the first part and I totally get it. It is like all the Firemen that hated the movie Backdraft for all its inaccuracies
 Cheesy

Suicide Squad #9 [...]  Hopefully you know what I’m talking about if you read this.  And just like that...BAM! I loved this issue.

Yes, I know what you're talking about!!
WOW.
 Shocked Shocked

I do have one problem with how Redondo drew the first part of ... the confrontation however. When the (sound effect) first happened  Wink the magazine was up to his eye, he even looked through it afterwards, but then, how did the ... first injury  Cheesy get much lower after that?

Bad artist. Bad, bad, bad!
(Unless I totally messed up the understanding of what happened before the final page)
 Sad

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 12:56:51 PM »

Couldn't wait for MU. Had to dive back in with #34 -

Immortal Hulk #33 - Another reread to refresh the old noggin'
Immortal Hulk #34 - So damn good. It didn't help when I saw that there is an Immortal She-Hulk one-shot out and I am so interested in that, I had to work my way towards getting fully caught back up with Hulkster.
Such a chore
 Cheesy
(Just realized I still have Thor #7 and the Giant-Size Storm to read)
 Shocked

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #10 - Eh, Jeff's right. Hope this finishes strong with its last two issues
Suicide Squad #9 - Other than the MAJOR artistic error (at least how I'm seeing it) this is another fine issue of one of my favorite DC books right now. Sad that it only has ... 2(?) more issues.

HBO Max: Raised by Wolves #1 - Free 8 pager about the new HBO series. Nothing new, bad art  Sad
Blade Runner 2019 FCBD issue - Two free issues and one of them was worth it! This one has the origin of the main character from this same titled (and pretty darn good) Titan series!! Nice art if a welcome finishing touch. If you are a Blade Runner fan (I personally think the movie 2049 was FANTASTIC and a very worthy addition to the original!!!) then this series may just be for you.

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #4 - Totally missed that this came out. Jeff, make sure you get it as it was my favorite of the series so far. The last couple pages were pretty ... exciting!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #4 - Totally missed that this came out. Jeff, make sure you get it as it was my favorite of the series so far. The last couple pages were pretty ... exciting!

I’m waiting 30 days to see if the price drops.  Then I’ll grab it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #8

Juggernaut #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7

Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1

Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #1-5 -  Nice Sci-Fi/horror story from our guy Duane
Swierczynski.  Typical hive aliens try to take over earth story but a fun ride anyway.

Outlawed #1 - Meh.  Been here done that with Civil War.  I’ll be skipping the rest of this.

Guardians of the Galaxy #3 - ok. Weird issue with the fallout from last issues death.  I’m intrigued though.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »

I’m waiting 30 days to see if the price drops.  Then I’ll grab it.

DANG IT.
Why do I not do this?
And I know I missed from what ... 2 weeks ago or something, so I only had another couple weeks to wait  Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 08:47:57 PM »

Your probably ok.  A lot of time the last issue in a mini doesn't drop in price.  There's a good chance I'll be grabbing it at full price too.   Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 09:37:33 PM »

There is one or two more to go, so you should get that discount  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 10:58:36 PM »

Sweet!  On both accounts!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 01:12:13 AM »

ComiXolgy
Family Tree #8

Juggernaut #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7

Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1

Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

Atlantis Attacks #3 - Some nice twists in this issue and puts the pieces together for what looks to be a great battle next issue!

Marvels X #3 - I like this prequel.  Having a lot of fun with Spidey and Dare Devil.  And the mystery has me pulled in. What is so special about this kid?

Spider-Woman #1 - LOLOL.  Love it.  And the art is fun to look at too.  Especially that last panel with Spider-Woman's face.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #1 - Oh yeah!  The Bounty Hunters rock and I can't wait to see what Boba Fett's gonna do in this series!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 01:14:27 AM »

Since I've got one more day I'm going to go ahead and add these to my list.  Mainly b/c I want to read that next Bounty Hunter issue!

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #2
Immortal Hulk #33
Jessica Jones: Blindspot #2
The Amazing Spider-Man #42

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2020, 02:26:41 AM »

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #2
Immortal Hulk #33
Jessica Jones: Blindspot #2
The Amazing Spider-Man #42

------------------------------------------------------

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #2 - This is a fun mini.  I assume it's a mini.  Lots of Bounty Hunters in this.  All looking for the same bounty with whom they all have a history.  Story moves along nicely here.  Thumbs up!

Immortal Hulk #33 - OH YEAH!!  This was AWESOME!!!  There was a part where I was thinking it was too weird but then BAM BAM BAM!  Ewing does it again.  I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ISSUE!!

Jessica Jones: Blindspot #2 - I guess I'm not getting to read this after all.  This is what I get when I click on the link:
"404: ISSUE STOLEN BY HYDRA
This issue could not be found. It seems to have been stolen by HYDRA forces. If you’d like to report this error to S.H.I.E.L.D, please email onlinesupport@marvel.com."

The Amazing Spider-Man #42 - Okaaaaay.  Not a fan of Gog.  I get the story and I guess it's ok but just wasn't for me.  And it continues to next issue...

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #2 - This is a fun mini.  I assume it's a mini.

It might be, but there is no indication yet.  Smiley

Immortal Hulk #33 - OH YEAH!!  This was AWESOME!!!  There was a part where I was thinking it was too weird but then BAM BAM BAM!  Ewing does it again.  I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ISSUE!!

Yeah man! This is where I decided I had to play catch up.

The Amazing Spider-Man #42 - Okaaaaay.  Not a fan of Gog.

Agree. Stopped even flipping through this at the shop during this time and still haven't gone back to look at what's happened since. Just killed me mood for the title oddly enough.

Oh as for Spider-Woman, I thought it was an okay issue but I didn't like the new costume. How about you?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 03:56:45 PM »

Oh as for Spider-Woman, I thought it was an okay issue but I didn't like the new costume. How about you?

I don’t hate it but I prefer the classic costume.  Hopefully it’s only temporary.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS