HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:26:11 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 23, 2020  (Read 7224 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« on: September 23, 2020, 03:13:53 PM »

Decent week and a few random titles.

Dark Nights: Death Metal Speedmetal #1
Flash #762
Immortal Hulk #0 and #37
Immortal She-Hulk #1
Shazam #14 (somehow I missed this last month)
Spider-Woman #4
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »

Dipping my toe back into DC Universe.  Especially since they will soon be going to six months like Marvel!

ComiXolgy
The Boys: Dear Becky #4
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #10
Family Tree #8
Juggernaut #1
Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7
Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #1
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #2
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #3
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #4
John Carpenter’s Tales of Science Fiction: Twitch #5

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #3
Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1
Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4
Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 06:23:44 PM »

Shazam #14 (somehow I missed this last month)

You know #15 came out today, yeah?

Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

I was not a fan of this the time I tried it, but I am so glad, so happy, I dipped my toes back in when I did at issue #18. The stuff prior may be fine, may be great even (as that is where his new origin is shown), but from 18 up ... where I first learned of his new origin ... love it. LOVE IT!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:31:50 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »

Had to jump on this one asap ...

X of Swords: Creation - Okay, I admit, the last page has me excited. Lots of comic here folks, and not as confusing as I had feared it would be, at least not yet.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 07:00:31 PM »

X of Swords: Creation - Okay, I admit, the last page has me excited. Lots of comic here folks, and not as confusing as I had feared it would be, at least not yet.
 Cheesy

Yes, I know Shazam #15 came out. I'll get it this weekend.

I picked up X of Swords: Creation and then put it back. I loved Empyre but not sure I want another big Marvel crossover.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 05:38:16 AM »

Cheesy

I missed this!  Grabbing it now and adding it to the list!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 05:52:14 AM »

ComiXolgy
ADD: X of Swords: Creation #1
Family Tree #8
Juggernaut #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7
Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1
Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

Hawkman #1-4 - I enjoyed this.  Maybe it reads better when it’s free.   Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »

Cheesy

Yes, I know Shazam #15 came out. I'll get it this weekend.

I picked up X of Swords: Creation and then put it back. I loved Empyre but not sure I want another big Marvel crossover.

WHOA   Shocked

15 issues of Shazam in 2 and a half years? Who'da thunk it?

Sorry for the snark, I just really wanted to have that title, and enjoy it...but DC just didn't get the work done on it. Also seemed like that was in the beginning of the Johns-Didio break up, and Johns was doing anything but comics seriously at the time.

Apparently all he was doing was ruining the Justice League movie for Ray Fischer and Zach Snyder, according to Ray Fischer

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 11:04:29 PM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords: Creation #1
Family Tree #8

Juggernaut #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7
Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1
Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

X of Swords: Creation #1 - Nice kick off to the crossover.  I think everyone was right.  It's got to do with Excalibur; the swords in Cable; Apocalypse; and who knows what else!

The Boys: Dear Becky #4 - Still fun watching the Boys at work again.  And getting a lot of insight into Butcher's thinking.  That's a scary thought!

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #10 - Another nothing issue.  This things swings pretty regularly from "eh" to really good.  This week was "eh".

Family Tree #8 - Wrap up to the second arc and things have gotten crazier.  I'm ready to see how we got to the upcoming time jump.

Juggernaut #1 - Decent first issue setup stuff.  Taking on the Hulk next issue is promising.

Locke & Key: In Pale Battalions Go #1 - Good first issue.  I like a whole new tale in this universe of keys taking place in the past.  I hope we get a lot more of these.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 03:09:57 AM »

ComiXolgy
X of Swords: Creation #1
Family Tree #8

Juggernaut #1
Nailbiter Returns #4
RAI #7

Suicide Squad #9
That Texas Blood #3

Marvel Unlimited
Outlawed #1
Atlantis Attacks #3
Marvels X #3
Spider-Woman #1

DC Universe
Hawkman #1
Hawkman #2
Hawkman #3
Hawkman #4

Flash #70
Flash #71
Flash #72

Flash #70, 71, & 72 - Flash Year One retelling of his origin.  Nice update to the first days of being Flash.  I had heard this was good and it doesn't disappoint.  Thumbs up.

Nailbiter Returns #4 - More serial killers.  More death.  And a not so unexpected twist!

RAI #7 - Hmmm.  My theories may be wrong since....well I won't spoil but this was a good one!  Going to be really fun when these characters collide!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 11:43:22 AM »

I loved Empyre ...

Wow, that's good. You seem to be one of the few but damn glad it hit hard for some. I think, for me, somehow (I can't put my finger on it) that the FF side that was good, was good, but still had a Slott flavor to it that bugged me. Plus, the Coati (sp?) never seemed too much of a threat. They were, but ... hell, I don't know. Glad you dug it though

Also as for X of Swords, I can't blame ya. 22 issues is a bit much for a inner title event, considering it doesn't have any "tie-ins"
But dang it ... I'm in for it
 Grin
(then dropping almost all the X-books, but they have me for now)

Hawkman #1-4 - I enjoyed this.  Maybe it reads better when it’s free.   Grin

Cheesy
It may well have.
It wasn't terrible, but I lost interest after a few issues. Not due to story, or art, per se, but I think my head was not in the right space at the time. I kept trying to tie stuff in, fill the lacking history I have and as I am not knowledgeable on older Hawk stuff, other than he reincarnates  Grin, I was getting lost a little I think. I probably should have just let the book come to me instead of trying to force total understanding of a subject into my head all at once
 Undecided

Good news is you will get the new origin/history a lot sooner than I did  Grin (Which again, I LOVE the new one!!!)

Apparently all he was doing was ruining the Justice League movie for Ray Fischer and Zach Snyder, according to Ray Fischer

Yeah, ole Ray is calling out everyone aint he. Haha, WB, Joss Wheadon, Johns, ... Now he has Aquaman by hs side though so I don't know what to think!

X of Swords: Creation #1 [...] I think everyone was right.  It's got to do with Excalibur; the swords in Cable; Apocalypse; and who knows what else!

Well I think the sword in Cable may be involved, but the story of the sword, with the ... others that were involved ... is not the main push like I had thought after a few issues of Cable. It became clear that the X of swords was not going to be about that certain planet shall we say
 Grin

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #10 - Another nothing issue.  This things swings pretty regularly from "eh" to really good.  This week was "eh".

DAMN IT!

Juggernaut #1 - Decent first issue setup stuff.  Taking on the Hulk next issue is promising.

Is this just a Juggy story by itself? Just a mini, not an Swords tie-in? I haven't decided to get this yet so kinda curious. I know it isn't a "part" of the Swords storyline, but does it tie-in at all is what I guess I mean
 Cheesy

Not much for me so far. Just one  Grin -

Cimmerian: People of the Black Circle #1 - Finally finished this. Ablaze is trying to go through all the Robert E. Howard Conan stories so there is nothing new here that I haven't read 50 times over, but the art is still hard for me to get past. Again, not that it is bad, just doesn't fit. Still, I will be getting the next (last) issue of this story as well to support a good thing (overall good thing at least)  Grin

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 01:35:07 PM »

Told my LCS guy to put me down for nine issues of Endless Winter.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »

Told my LCS guy to put me down for nine issues of Endless Winter.

Yeah, I don't blame ya. I'm kinda intrigued by that as well. But may try to wait on that one as DCU is soon only waiting 6 months to put stuff up on the site.

Although reading a "Winter" tale in the heat of Summer may throw the whole damn thing off
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 05:37:23 PM »

Is this just a Juggy story by itself? Just a mini, not an Swords tie-in? I haven't decided to get this yet so kinda curious. I know it isn't a "part" of the Swords storyline, but does it tie-in at all is what I guess I mean
 Cheesy

Nope. Nothing to do with the X-world or the crossover event.  You can even wait for it to hit Marvel Unlimited if you want.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 08:26:02 PM »

Cheesy

Nope. Nothing to do with the X-world or the crossover event.  You can even wait for it to hit Marvel Unlimited if you want.

Sweet. Waiting!
Thanks

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS