HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:59:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, September 2, 2020  (Read 3320 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 02, 2020, 05:44:13 PM »

Only four more months to go in this crazy year!  Hopefully I’ll have finished this list by then.

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3 - 1/3rd through this one already.
Decorum #3
Ascender #11
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #8
Nailbiter Returns #3
Plunge #6
The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage #4
Suicide Squad #8
That Texas Blood #2
X-Men #11
The Boys: Dear Becky #3
DCeased: Dead Planet #3
Strange Adventures #5
Undiscovered Country #7
Wolverine #5

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Atlantis Attacks #2
Guardians of the Galaxy #2
Marvel’s Black Widow Prelude #2
Avengers of the Wasteland #2
Falcon & Winter Soldier #1
Force Works 2020
Fantastic Four: Grim Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40

--------------------------------------------

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »

Batman #98
Batman Beyond #46
Empyre #6
Justice League #52
Young Justice #18

Naruto FCBD 2020
Only a Matter of Space-Time FCBD 2020
Usagi Jimbo FCBD 2020
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »

Whew boy!
Having to be in bed the last couple days have not hurt my reading to badly  Cheesy

Fire Power #3 - Eh, kind of a slow issue for me for some reason. Wife is shown in a cool light and the ending is setting up something for the next issue or two. Just okay, really, and sadly most of this series has been that way. Just okay

Empyre #6 - Couldn't wait. Had to see how it all plays out. I should have waited  Grin

Cable #4 - Bottom line, this IS the book you need to read before X of Swords starts. All 4 issues !  Cool
Excalibur #9
Excalibur #10
Excalibur #11
- Can do it no longer, I don't care, no more before or after Swords. Just not hitting for me at all  Undecided
Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost - Glad I finally read this as Storm's Giant is about it
Giant Size X-Men: Nightcrawler - Re-read of an okay story
Giant Size X-Men: Magento - Nice Mags story with a cool quest but not needed. Not really
Giant Size X-Men: Fantomex Loved the craziness. Need to learn more about Fantomex, this helped  Smiley
Marauders #11 - Thought I had read this as I knew what happened. Guess I was spoiled? Still cool
X-Men #11 - Okay, lets clear the board and get back to the good stuff (Not that this was bad)  Wink
New Mutants #12 - What I wish I could do to some sites I know. Heartfelt story about Glob  Embarrassed
Wolverine #5 - First of all I want to start with another huge shout out to my boy Bogdanovic. I have loved this guy since I first saw him in the New Super-Man series from DC about the Chinese JLA. Love it!! Such a good artist to go with this book. And then, on the writing side, there is Percy. Oh Percy. Percy, Percy, Percy. Like always, it seems you come up with such a cool damn idea and then you totally lose my enjoyment with further action on your part. UGH. I mean the
Blood Clocks? Love it!! The "clocks" that hold Wolverines blood and allows vamps to walk in the day?
YES, YES and triple YES. But then ....
why oh why, suddenly possessing this amazing day-walking power, why did the main vamps, attack these towns .... at night?
WTH???
 Grin
Not a huge problem, but more of a head scratcher I guess.
 Grin
Anyway, was pretty cool

Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1 (2020) - So after the greatness that Tom Taylor achieved with DCeased, I wanted to try this new four issue series to see if Marvel could reclaim the Zombie love with their copying of a copying  Grin Although I guess Marvel Zombies was a thing from a guest writer Krkman, a copy of his Walking Dead take ... which of course was a copy/take on so many others ... but this isn't about that  Cheesy ... anyway, I wanted to dive back in on the Marvel side to see how it compared, going in knowing it would be a lesser of the two. DCeased would be way better. And, I guess, yeah, overall I would say so, but man, this was pretty damn good in and of itself. So much so, that I went back to MU and found the one-shot of this. The prequal if you will. An issue that damn should have been called something else ...

Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1 ... ummmm (2019)! There, that makes such a difference  Roll Eyes Why call the one-shot the same thing or the series the same as the one-shot? Same numbering? It is stupid. Anyway, honestly, the one-shot... this title ... wasn't as good as the first issue of the four issue limited series with the exact same name above, but it was fun going back and seeing what happened. But I suggest you do yourself a favor ... once the other title, the 2020 version of this hits the MU, read the first issue and then read this issue. You may just find, like I did, that it is a worthy story to go alongside of DC's (somewhat better) DCeased.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »

You’ve tempted me to go get Cable #3 & #4 but I’m going to stay firm on my transition over to MU.  Or at least try to.  Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 09:56:24 PM »

ComiXolgy
Outlaw Territory Vol 3 - 1/3rd through this one already.
Decorum #3
Ascender #11
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #8
Nailbiter Returns #3
Plunge #6
The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage #4

Suicide Squad #8
That Texas Blood #2
X-Men #11
The Boys: Dear Becky #3
Strange Adventures #5
Undiscovered Country #7
Wolverine #5

Marvel Unlimited
Dare Devil #18
Atlantis Attacks #2
Guardians of the Galaxy #2
Marvel’s Black Widow Prelude #2
Avengers of the Wasteland #2
Falcon & Winter Soldier #1
Force Works 2020
Fantastic Four: Grim Noir #1
Amazing Spider-Man #40

--------------------------------------------

Decorum #3 - Like most Hickman books it’s a slow start but this issues picks up the pace. I’m interested in this world of assassins.

Ascender #11 - Yea! Some familiar a characters come together!  Liked seeing Digger and Bandit reunite.

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #8 - I liked this issue.  Krypton, Ace, Comet, and Detective Chimp? No way this was going to be bad.  Grin

Nailbiter Returns #3 - The mystery starts to unravel and Nailbiter is about to get involved.  Good issue.

Plunge #6 - I might have been tainted knowing that Perry wasn’t a fan of the ending, but I agree. This series was a bit of a disappointment.

The Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage #4 - This story got a bit too weird even for Lemire.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »

You’ve tempted me to go get Cable #3 & #4 but I’m going to stay firm on my transition over to MU.  Or at least try to.  Grin

Well, It's THE book just in so far that it is important to the Sword thing, or at least I think it is?
Maybe?
Seems to be.  Cheesy

Hope it is now
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

Man, I'm losing sleep but damn it if I'm not getting some reading in!!
I am mad because I forgot about the Question until I came here this morning to write this and saw Jeff's post again.
Need to hit that one next!

Spy Island - If it has Spy in the title I am probably gonna try it. I guess Dark Horse knew that. Very cool opening where what you thought was, wasn't and I enjoyed that small little bit greatly. The art is pretty cool, not overly stylized but has its flourish from time to time. Fits the tone nicely. Over all fun, but gonna wait for the 99¢ Comixology sale I think even though I can see the possibility of more arcs after this from this team and characters

Strange Adventures #5 - I think, when collected, this issue will hit better. Still will be a slog, but better  Undecided
DCeased: Dead Planet #3 - Every time I read this I sound like Meg Ryan from when Harry met Sally Cheesy
Injustice: Year Zero #5 - Taylor doing it here as well. Just quick and fun read.
Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #1 - HEY! Its a " : " extravaganza as three titles back to back throw the separating colon in the mix
 Cheesy
Man, that sounds like something Constantine would do.
 Grin
The first of a three issue Black Label book by, yes, Tom Taylor, so I had to give it a go. Man, Tom likes the colon use! No, wait ...  Grin
Anyway, this time he teamed up with Darrick Robinson to bring us some good ole' bad magic stuff, a little different than the bad ole magic stuff I saw in his last two issues though.
 Cheesy

Fire Power #3

Empyre #6
Cable #4
Excalibur #9
Excalibur #10
Excalibur #11

Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost
Giant Size X-Men: Nightcrawler
Giant Size X-Men: Magento
Giant Size X-Men: Fantomex
Marauders #11
X-Men #11
New Mutants #12
Wolverine #5
Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1
Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1  - Again, but different
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »

I finally got a new tablet!

Been using a free one from Verizon phone company...it's 6 years old. An update from MU fills up it's processing, and it's done. It's a 7" screen.

But no longer! Got a 10" screen now, 32GB ram, and with card capability up to 512GB. No more freezing and restarting the apps! ()which is what was really keeping me from using the thing, to be honest.

I may read comics again!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 03:09:28 PM »

via GIPHY

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 02:48:41 AM »

I can’t unsee that.  😳

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »

I can’t unsee that.  😳

Cheesy Cheesy

I know, right? But Jimmy reading again is cause for celebration!!  Cheesy

Hey, side note ... I see where Williamson is leaving Flash with the next issue. Again, not this weeks #761, but next weeks #762 will be his last and the word around the water cooler is he is going out with one heck of a cool bang. So ... those that hung with it longer than I did (when he first came on) ... worth it?  Should I try to read the whole thing (* he laughs as he thinks of such a task) or do I just read this last arc that is getting all the attention? Even though most agree he did a great job on the title.

Okay, anyway ...

Got through a few yesterday, including some (very) wordy Invincible

STDSN: Too Long a Sacrifice #2 - Not quite as fun for me as the first issue, but staying on this mini until the end ... I just don't know how long that will be. Haha, is this a 3, 4 or 5 issue mini? I guess I should check.

Invincible #66
Invincible #67
Invincible #68
Invincible #69
Invincible #70
Invincible #71
- Man, yes, tons of words in this run but also tons of action. Good battle!! And we stop right when, at least it looks like it to me, right when
Cecil is ready to tell Mark that he is the reason Conquest is alive!!

Fire Power #3
Spy Island

Strange Adventures #5
Injustice: Year Zero #5
Hellblazer: Rise and Fall #1

Empyre #6
Cable #4
Excalibur #9
Excalibur #10
Excalibur #11

Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost
Giant Size X-Men: Nightcrawler
Giant Size X-Men: Magento
Giant Size X-Men: Fantomex
Marauders #11
X-Men #11
New Mutants #12
Wolverine #5
Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1
Marvel Zombies: Resurrection #1  - Again, but different
 Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS