HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:27:25 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chadwick Boseman  (Read 3365 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 29, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »

HOLY CRAP!
I didn't even know he was ill.

Black Panther dead at 43 from colon cancer?!?!

Damn. Far too young. Sad

Sadder still is that as advanced as we are with our tech on phones and cars and the like, we still can't get a grasp on this damn Cancer crap.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:44:00 PM »

It sounds like he kept the knowledge very close and perhaps only family and close friends knew about it.  The crazy part is he knew he was sick when he made Black Panther. 

Either way, it's very sad and a big blow to all his fans. 

I loved him in the role and thought he fit it perfectly and I've seen some youtube clips of him on talk shows and the way he carried himself and treated his fans was very inspiring.  He will be missed by myself and all of his fans.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 02:06:59 PM »

Jeff sent me a text about it around 10:30 last night, but I didn't check my phone until after I opened and read my news.

Kinda glad I didn't see it until this morning. I have no idea why, I usually don't really care about celebrity deaths, not to the point that I am bothered by it at least (I mean people die every day, why should they be so special?) but I agree with you, that he seemed like a very nice guy and he damn sure fit the role and I am still thinking about it ... something I never do
 Undecided
I think it would have kept me up last night ... for some reason

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 03:00:36 AM »

some celebrity deaths bother me because they have usually touched my life in some way. 

Carrie Fisher and Christopher Reeves were two that really bothered me because the characters they were best associated with are such HUGE parts of my life, my childhood and really just who I am as a person that it almost felt like a family member had passed. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »

Yeah, I can see that. It makes perfect sense, very reasonable in fact, but I rarely get hit that way. And I don't think, or maybe I didn't realize (?) that Chad Boseman was one that I connected with?

I can honestly say the last time I felt this way, this strongly about a celebrity death (At least that I can immediately think of at this moment) is when Phil Hartman died by his own wife's hand. And even then I felt more angry, but this, this sad feeling is damn odd to me.

Still, he touched a heck of a lot of people and ... hey ... maybe that is why? He didn't touch me as much as I feel the loss because of the sheer amount of young kids and young adults that looked up to him.

Sounds good to me anyway.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 09:29:11 PM »

I too am greatly moved by this.

I knew him not, and in fact, there are at least 5 movies of his I haven't seen.

However, I'm 41 (he was 43), I lost a grandfather to colon cancer (and if there is a cancer I hate above all others, colon and pancreatic should be erased from existence), so those are the parallels I drew.

So, to know a man of my own age, suffering as one does through that cancer, and then to be a SUPER HERO on top of that, and then to become such an idol because yes, an issue of representation for Black Americans, is a powerful thing he had become a part of.

I'm in agreement with jc; Reeve's death hurt me. I think each year I donate to his foundation. These people got to shape a generation, and just feel something....more than just a story. We felt...moved in something beyond just entertainment. It became a life experience.

To have that taken away...it just hurts.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 09:59:15 PM »

I think it hits us differently when it is such a surprise.  If it was drug related we’d think it was sad but just another addict celebrity.  But this was the opposite. A sickness that seemed to come out of no where for a man so young who was just bursting out in his career.  It makes it seem so much more unfair.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 01:58:05 AM »

That's the kicker Jeff, yes!

It's just...unfair...

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS