HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:13:41 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, July 29, 2020  (Read 4056 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 29, 2020, 05:12:54 PM »

I’m all caught up in Marvel Unlimited so doubling up on my ComiXology list this week.

ComiXolgy
Swamp Thing: New Roots #6
Swamp Thing: New Roots #7
Swamp Thing: New Roots #8
Swamp Thing: New Roots #9
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #6
Suicide Squad #7
Cable #2
X-Factor #1
X-Men #10
The Boys: Dear Becky #2
Nailbiter Returns #2
Plunge #5
That Texas Blood #1
Casanova TPB Vol 2 Gula - Collects Casanova: Gula #1-4

———————————————————————-

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »

Wonder Woman #759
X-Factor (2020) #1

FCBD 2020 The Boys
FCBD 2020 Batman Overdrive
FCBD 2020 Dark Ark: Instinct
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »

Okay, I've been gone so long trying to get this new computer the way I like it that I have no idea when I read what. So I am just starting here, even though I know I didn't read most of this during this "week of".
 Grin

Shazam Lightning Strikes #1 -  Just to try. Good art, decent story, but think I'm over the character  Shocked
DCeased: Hope Worlds End #6 - The art is not to my taste, but still enjoy the look back or look inside?
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #1
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #2
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #3
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #4
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #5
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #6
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #7
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #8
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #9
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #10
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #11
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #12
- A "Perry Must Read!" Now you can wait for a year, let the entire series get up on DCU first or buy them all or the trade, but certainly read these issues back to back. In-fact don't forget to re-read that Superman: Leviathan Rising Special #1 first, regardless of what you thought of it, especially if you were like me and felt a little less than impressed, as it starts what ends up being and incredible run and that (seemingly at the time) not so great a story comes back around in this series. This fantastic series. I have not been so enamored with a fraction book since his Iron Man run ... or was Iron Fist after that? No, his Iron Man run. He captures the absolute lunacy of those early Jimmy Olsen comics (where Jimmy turns into a giant dinosaur turtle or some such) but also gives a great story about a character I never thought too much of. Until now. This guy Jimmy? Oh yeah ... Dude has his shit together! Well, the opposite of that ... kinda
 Cheesy Cheesy
Again, if you are in the mood for a good, but admittedly humorous book (this is not a serious book, folks) this is a must read. It is crazy. And Jimmy, what he does at the end ... AWESOME (and I think is in continuity)!! Check it out, but again, wait for the trade (as it will probably have the Leviathan story in it as well) or try to wait for them all to be released on DCU before opening.
 Wink

Empyre #1 - Yeah, it's fine. Typical stuff. Worth an MU read? Maybe? At least Ewing is doing the dialog  Smiley

Invincible #48
Invincible #49
Invincible #50
Invincible #51
- Nope, read this already as well!  Angry When did I drop this damn book?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
The Cimmerian: Red Nails #1 - Ablaze does it again bringing Howards Conan to proper, old school form. I also like that they are doing these Conan stories, orignal Robert E. stories, by having them told in two issues and having a different writer and artist on each story. Plus the put in the original short stories at the back, so you are getting both the comic and prose version for the same price! The first 2 issue run (Queen of the Black Coast, with you know who  Wink) had art that looked very much like Gabriel Ba (Umbrella Academy) which, with Conan, at first looked odd, but I rapidly got accustomed to it and the story was, of course, great fun to read again. This one has similar art, but a lighter palette that works great for this story; jungle and Aztec like city setting. Both are great reads and hey, if they go on sale SNATCH EM UP!!
(Heck, I may check out another Ablaze called Vampire State Building. Has Charlie "Walking Dead" Adlard art in it ... in color!! Speaking of which, I hear Image is re-releasing all the WD series in color now. You gonna get all those, Jeff?)

Okay, think I'm almost done ... wow, this is long!!!  Cheesy Cheesy

On the Shazam thing ... It is not as though I am over the character of Shazam as much as I just don't care about the Shazam extended family. I don't mind Mary or Marvel Jr, but once we get into the entire adopted family I kinda zone out. Now the odd thing here is that the extended family wasn't in this issue, but I was really aware of the fact that I kept waiting for them to show and yeah, something I noticed that may have killed the issue more than it should have.
although like Jeff, I am pretty much over these things now anyway, these reprinted stories from the Walmart Giants. I may keep up with some, like Ghosts and the like for a couple more issues and may even check in with some other titles here and there, like the Titans one, but yeah, I'm not getting them all anymore. Of course now that DC closed the Walmart Giant deal they won't be around for too much longer
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

Perry; when did you drop Invincible? You are one-third the way through the series now!! LOL

I actually read Adventures of the Super Sons 11 & 12 and boy
Am I even more pissed at Didio, Bendis, and DC. The story ends with a huge meta message. The Sons found themselves inside a Hypercube (more or less, just like Marvel's cosmic cube) and it was a sentient entity who wanted adventures, and created whole worlds for the Sons to live in-and created all the people for them to adventure with.

And it goes on to say that with the made up villains defeated, they, and the Sons adventures, will continue to live on within that cube, and in other parts of Infinity forever, always to be remembered

-since DC took it away! I"M STILL SO PISSED!!!

See? Same old JImmy.  Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »

Perry; when did you drop Invincible? You are one-third the way through the series now!! LOL

I KNOW, RIGHT? Each issue I close I think, okay, that is where I stopped. I really thought I wasted all this money on this HC's, as I never read them, only to find out I did read them  Smiley It is crazy.
I know it has to be soon, I know I didn't get into the 60's ... I know it.

I think

Grin

And it goes on to say that with the made up villains defeated, they, and the Sons adventures, will continue to live on within that cube, and in other parts of Infinity forever, always to be remembered

-since DC took it away! I"M STILL SO PISSED!!!

And rightfully so. That is such bullshit. All because Bendis wanted Jon to be the Superman in Legion? A book he has destroyed anyway? Just make it Clark, as a young guy, like it should be, and move the hell on.

Ooops, too late, Berndis killed two things ... three things ... four th....

See? Same old JImmy.  Cheesy Cheesy

Hell Yeah!!!
 Grin

Okay, real quick ...

Fantastic Apathetic Four #21 - Nothing. Not worth a damn mention. Even this is too much

Harley Black White and Red #1 - Only doing the ones I want and Stjepan Sejic always gets me to look! Good
Harley Black White and Red #5 - Just to check out our boy Rossmo (Proof, Batman) again.
Titans Together #1 - Had to try this DC Digital as it had most of the original New Titans. Wait ... "the original New"?? Haha, anyway ... nope. Just another too bright, too bland comic with nondescript, emotionless art. I can pay $4 for that why pay under a dollar?
 Grin Grin Wink Wink

Flex Mentallo #1
Flex Mentallo #2
Flex Mentallo #3
- Tried to get all four in but got too tired. Crazy Morrison stuff, but the good kind. Plus Quietly art. Win

Shazam Lightning Strikes #1
DCeased: Hope Worlds End #6
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #1
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #2
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #3
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #4
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #5
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #6
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #7
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #8
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #9
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #10
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #11
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #12

Invincible #48
Invincible #49
Invincible #50
Invincible #51

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:32:16 PM »

Running a little slow this week but still making progress.

ComiXolgy
Suicide Squad #7

Cable #2
X-Factor #1
X-Men #10
Nailbiter Returns #2
Plunge #5
That Texas Blood #1

———————————————————————-

Swamp Thing: New Roots #6 - the wrap up of a really good arc.  I’ve enjoyed this the most of the weekly $1 series.

Swamp Thing: New Roots #7 & #8 - New arc and pretty decent.

Swamp Thing: New Roots #9 - back to the one shot stories and a good place to stop.  

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #6 - Just ok issue.

Suicide Squad #7 - Not bad but I’m not really gelling with the new characters.

Cable #2 - Slow issue. Dating all of the Stepford Cuckoos could be every boys dream...or nightmare.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 04:34:51 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »

Flex Mentallo #1
Flex Mentallo #2
Flex Mentallo #3
- Tried to get all four in but got too tired. Crazy Morrison stuff, but the good kind. Plus Quietly art. Win

Is this the 1996 mini?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »

Shocked
Awwww, sorry to hear that and I hope I don't feel the same after reading this issue  Cheesy

I totally get and understand the lack of love for the DCeased weekly thing (I see the flaws for sure) but this one does puzzle me. I thought this would be a book you would dig, but we can't be right all the time.  Smiley Well, except for the guy that told me to pick this title up.  Grin

I love 'em!! Plus there is some very good art here. Clean? yes, but not soulless and the colors don't blind me.  Grin But hey, that doesn't mean you have to enjoy them or the book and that you can't go reading comics not being enthralled with this puppy like I am  Grin I mean, it is kinda hard to get into characters you know nothing about, especially when they are not yet telling you about them, so I get it. I think this title is one of DC's best right now and it is getting some props out there so I am happy that there is finally a book I really like that is getting a lot of praise so hopefully it won't be dead in another 3 issues
 Grin

As for the characters, personally I am super intrigued by the Aerie is just the Authority's Swift but using the pro-noun "they" or is there something more about that? I wonder. And Wink which ... yeah ... Blink anyone?  Same character but I liked her so ... Cheesy  Osita is jJust a great bad-ass! Fin reminds me of an underwater Garth and that makes me think early Teen Titans. But then there is Thylacine  .... yeah, gotta say I am with ya here. I'm not hitting with her, but they haven't really given us a chance to yet and ... I can't remember the rest.
 Cheesy

But yeah, man, if it isn't hitting surely just wait for DCU. I can wait to hear how much you enjoy this series a year and a few months from now just as much as I can a few months from now
 Grin Wink Smiley

Flex Mentallo #1
Flex Mentallo #2
Flex Mentallo #3

Is this the 1996 mini?

Yes.
I never read it, so thought I would dive in after seeing him on the Suicide Squad show (Only one more episode left!!!
Cry Cry)

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 10:59:08 PM »

Shocked
Awwww, sorry to hear that and I hope I don't feel the same after reading this issue  Cheesy

I totally get and understand the lack of love for the DCeased weekly thing (I see the flaws for sure) but this one does puzzle me. I thought this would be a book you would dig, but we can't be right all the time.  Smiley Well, except for the guy that told me to pick this title up.  Grin

Lol.  I think you read too much into my casual comments.  I've enjoyed it so far as well as a lot of the twists.  I like Harley, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang I just haven't gotten into the new characters.  Unlike you, I really don't like Osita.  Wink is the exception, I do like her.  But I'm not ready to drop it.  Just not into the newbies yet.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 03:52:21 AM »

ComiXolgy
Suicide Squad #7

Cable #2
X-Factor #1
X-Men #10
Nailbiter Returns #2
Plunge #5
That Texas Blood #1

———————————————————————-

X-Factor #1 - This one is getting bumped to Marvel Unlimited.  Probably sending Cable that way as well.

X-Men #10 - Vulcan focused issue mired in crossing over with Empyre. Not bad, not great.

The Boys: Dear Becky #2 - it’s fun reading these characters again and the new team they’re going after.  Geez!

Nailbiter Returns #2 - Good story progression and can’t wait to find out how these people aren’t dead like they’re supposed to be!

Plunge #5 - Story is starting to drag.  But next issue promises big things.

That Texas Blood #1 - Great book!  I maybe biased because it takes place in Texas but I really liked how this started out.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »

Well I just went on a long discussion/rant that was interrupted by a power outage ... AFTER the storm had past  Grin Angry Angry so I am not going to do it all again.
Jeff, I will hit you up with my statements later!
 Cry Cry Cry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »

Well I just went on a long discussion/rant that was interrupted by a power outage ... AFTER the storm had past  Grin Angry Angry so I am not going to do it all again.
Jeff, I will hit you up with my statements later!
 Cry Cry Cry

Bummer!  I bet it was some good rant!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS