HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:47:07 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo! Fantasy stuff ...  (Read 36857 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2020, 07:35:06 PM »

Finished!

So, oddly, the book kind of just stops. Well, it stops for everyone else but Glokta, who gets his own swansong soliquoy to the book. He's getting sent south to investigate a city, surrounded by enemies, and he has to take Practica l Vitari with him.

LOVED the Bloody Nine chapter. A barbarian entering a RAGE!!! What coolness!

I did enjoy the chapter part where Ferro was overhearing the conversation between Bayaz and Yulwei; as Bayaz talks about needing certain people for his trip and task-so, a very SPECIFIC need for a barbarian who speaks to spirits, a woman who doesn't get hurt or need healing, but what can Jezel offer? Hmmm

Also...fuck, Jezel, can you think of anything else at all about yourself? His obnoxiousness knows no boundaries!!

I found myself most fascinated with Collem West; I loved that he started getting chapters himself, to see a commoner raised up to such a high officer position, and I loved reading about his status when dealing with the nobility and blooded of the city.

I looked up reviews early on just to get a feel of the book; it's not nearly such a grimdark novel as it was labeled as. I was quite pleased with this book. In fact, man, when Logen's old band tries to tell Bethod of the shanka's in the north? Where the Weakest Forley WALKS freely to his own death-and does die for it!!-loved the group's reaction in the fight, as well as the funeral for him as well.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2020, 08:53:27 PM »

Your comment about
the books end, the way it kinda just stops, is something I probably should have warned you about. This is a trilogy but most books, in series or not, tend to have it set for some sort of actual ending of each book. Yeah, this is not like that. It is almost as if the book was complete as one book and they just split it in thirds ... like they did another epic fantasy (LoTR)  Grin
 It didn't bother me as I had book #2 raring to go as soon as the fist ended, but I guess I should have warned you.
 Undecided Not that it ruins the book, but yeah, it isn't a really satisfying end to book one when you don't have book #2.

The "Rage" from Logen is AMAZING!!!!
(and I have a theory on it, but I need to wait until you get through book 2)
 Wink

I won't speak of Jezel yet. Again, I need ya to get the second book!!!  Grin

Love West also

And yes, it is not as "Grimdark" as I was expecting either. I heard he (Abercrombie) was like the king of grimdark and yet I found the book to be not so bad at all. Sure it isn't say as bright as some books, but it is no Song of Ice and Fire, either. It has it's moments, it shouldn't be read by anyone under 14 or 15, but it isn't that bad ... as far as dark books go at least.

I found it perfection.  Grin

Now I just have to wait for you to get book 2 ... and for Jeff to start the damn thing
 Grin Grin
Ready for your free book when you sign up for audible? Or hell, ask for the silver package, the one I have, and it cost $15 every two months ... you only get one book every two months, but ...
 Cheesy
(and heck, if you do decide to sign up for audible, Silver (every other month) or regular (gold - every month) just let me send the link to you so I get credit for it  Grin)

But hey, at least try and hit your library up and see if you can grab book two - Before They Are Hanged, there ... or maybe they can order it for you? Mine does that. Maybe even in audio format as ... well ... I just love this audiobook but I am sure you would like the paper version as well!! But yeah, if they don't have it, they can order them!!!

I've been busy the last two days, the wife took 10 days off (Now I am like Jeff, no time alone!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked    Grin) and not had a chance to get to my book in awhile. Still have about 11 hours or so left and it is killing me!!!

I want to say more about book one, but I can't think right now, but I will be back!!
 Grin
Soon!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2020, 10:27:19 PM »

And I still have not had the time to listen to this or any other book!  Mainly killed it because of no drive time to work which is where I do most of my Audible listening.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2020, 11:41:32 PM »

And I still have not had the time to listen to this or any other book!  Mainly killed it because of no drive time to work which is where I do most of my Audible listening.

Samesies!

I probably would have been done sooner if I would have had my commute. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:22 PM »

Perry, I am thinking of doing the free trial from Audible and getting book 2. Or, I'll check my library's digital availability for the books 2 & 3.

I know it sounds cheap enough, but I'm just buying...well, anything right now. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »

Go for a walk, sir.  Cheesy Cheesy
(Ahhh, walking ... that is when I usually listen to my books but the wife being off these last few days has killed that as she wants to walk with me? WTF??  Cheesy No, I get ya, Jeff, just messing with ya. I get what you mean, no time truly alone. Trust me I do)
 Cheesy

I know it sounds cheap enough, but I'm just buying...well, anything right now. Wink

Hell, I get ya, I understand! I would certainly ask the library to get it anyway. Why buy when you can borrow?
 Wink
but just if you do go the audible route ...  Grin

But I hope the library (or used book store even) has the book if not the audio.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2020, 09:59:08 AM »

Hey Jimmy, Just to let you know, if your library turns out to be a no-go and you still want to read the next two books ... and you just want to save some money for now ... who among us doesn't  Grin ... there is another, different, audiobook company has been trying to enter the game for a few and they just sent out an e-mail on their latest promotion.

Sign up for a free month trial and get TWO free books (it says 3 free, but I only assume that one, I am almost sure, comes with a hitch). I figure as fast as you read, you could get through the next two books of First Law before the month was out.
 Grin
PERFECT!!!

I am thinking about signing up anyway, as they appear to be cheaper than Audible {EDIT - And no, they are the same. I thought they were 2 credits a month for $15, but they are 1 credit, just like Audible-end EDIT}, but I need to get more information on stuff like their app, how it streams, the DL ability, library content, etc ...cheaper is not always a better deal after all, but heck, for a try out, for you ... this would be an option, yeah?
(Just make sure you cancel before the end of the time period if you want to cancel!!!)

I did that with audible a few years ago, before deciding to join ... used their free month, got out and then came back to them a few months later, so don't feel bad about using a free month. It is there for that reason. Because they know you will want to keep going at some point.
 Grin

Anyway, I can't speak on the quality, but I am sure it is good, so if ya want to try it out, to at least get past the second book  Grin HERE is the link
(And no, I am not affiliated with them nor do I get any credit from this, just trying to get you through this great series as quickly as I can, buddy)
 Smiley
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:41:33 PM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2020, 09:43:51 PM »

Any luck at finding #2 at the library, Jimmy?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »

Ah, it's been a bit of a brief pause for me here currently. Just some life stuff, and trying to find a good place.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2020, 03:54:30 PM »

Alright, buddy.
Best thoughts and wishes are what I'm sending!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2020, 09:44:00 AM »

FINISHED!

The First Law "trilogy" is done, and I am kinda pissed!
 Angry

Without spoilers, as I still think you guys should read/finish this, the reason why I am mad is that the same thing happened at the end of this third book that happened at the end of the first and second book ... it ended without an ending. Now, for an ongoing series of books, which this obviously is (I have had the next one in my Audible library for quite awhile now), what it ends up being is a great, fun, exciting, heartwarming (rarely) and brutal (often) read, a great set of three books. However, the one thing it is not? An F'n "trilogy". Sure, technically it is, hell any series of books with at least 3 in its run at some point is a trilogy by definition, but to me it takes more than just having the term trilogy on your books to be a trilogy, there should be an appropriate end to some of the story by the end of the book. Not here. We are left with so many questions ... so many things left still to be resolved, it is ... its .... well, it just gets me.

Now again, I have the next book so I am not left hanging, but if I didn't? If this was truly the book that I THOUGHT was the last in the series? I mean why call a story a trilogy when it leaves almost everything that was brought forth in the story unanswered? Okay, that isn't truly what happened, we do get lots of answers and lots of endings, but at the same time, we are shown more and more of them throughout this last book that yes, we are almost "back to a new beginning".

Now I am not taking about a prologue, or something that denotes the end of this series of three and a sneak peek into the next, no, the story just keeps going ... until it doesn't.

WTF?!?!?!

What if, at the end of Return of the Jedi, the last scene we were shown was the force field that surrounding the new Death Star being shutdown. The Rebels reach the spot, shut off the satellite dish and then ... ROLL THE DAMN CREDITS!!!! That is what this feels like.

A tease is a tease, but damn it, Joe!!!
 Grin Grin

Still, what we are shown here is fantastic. A great series this will be. Series. That is what this is. What it isn't ...  is a trilogy!
 Roll Eyes

Now I have to decide if I want to start the 4th book in this next "trilogy"  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes or if I want to return to book 3 of Wheel of Time, start the new Stephen King book that just hit or finally dive into the Gentlemen Bastards series. I am not sure yet what I want to read, but I am sure I will enjoy. Hopefully as much as I did this!
 Smiley Cool

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2020, 06:04:41 PM »

I will say a partial "ARGH!!" to that, but eh, reading is reading, and there's nothing wrong with reading!

(is what I'll say now before having the product myself)

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2020, 12:36:09 PM »

Sooo, I've been doing a little more (a lot more) "reading" (listening to audio books) as of late so just thought I would update.

I did finish "A Little Hatred", book 7 (kind of) in Joe Abercrombie's world (The First Law Trilogy, the First Law World Trilogy and this, the first book of his new Age of Madness Trilogy). I have yet to go back and listen to the 3 "First Law World" books which are not books in order, but books featuring/showcasing characters of that world. Sorta like a spotlight feature with stories happening before First Law, or so I've been told. Still something I probably could have done before reading A Little Hatred.

A Little Hatred is, like all the other ones I have read from Abercrombie, a very well done book. I have no problems with the story, plot, characters, etc and I do enjoy everything ... other than the way he uses the world trilogy in a manner that I hate; not ending any book, or even the trilogy, with a damn ending!!
 Angry

Grin
Once you get past that, the story is amazing! I still recommend this entire world, fully!!! Especially the audio!!!

After finishing that book, instead of going into the First Law World books, I decided I needed a break from fantasy. Well, as it turns out I went back into fantasy but not in the same form.
 Cheesy

I decided to listen to my boy Stephen Fry's Mythos. A book about Greek Mythology. I have always loved that topic and I really enjoy Fry's voice and way of writing so when I found out the Audible US had finally received the green light to have his second book in the series, Heroes: The Greek Myths Reimagined, and still having 4 gifted credits to use, I jumped at the chance to get it along with the aforementioned Mythos at the same time.

It was a nice, much needed break ... for awhile  Grin I reached the halfway point and it hit me, that as much as I am enjoying the retelling and clarifying of my beloved Greek Myths, I also missed the telling of totally new tales. So I went ahead and decided that I would listen to Mythos while I was in the car and when I was out for a walk with the dog I would listen to my next title that I have been trying to get to. A great compromise.
 Grin

So,, while I (and the wife, now  Grin) am still listening to Mythos, I also started Scott Lynch's "The Lies of Locke Lamora" (Gentlemen Bastards Trilogy: book 1)

Now what I can tell you about this? I think it is going to be a very cool book. It seems to be setting up to be along the lines of Count of Monte Cristo ... ish. A book I really love. I can also tell you that while it is far too early for me to recommend this book as a "must read", it is not too early to tell you to not, not matter what, get this as an audio book.

The narrator reads/sounds like Monte Python doing Shakespeare in the Park. It is not good, at all. There is one character in here at an early point of the book that sounds like freakin' Depp's damn Captain of the Black Pearl. UGH. Dude rolls his "r"s so much at times it almost sounds like an inside joke. I don't know how this guy got the job, nor do I know he he got the job of narrating another Fantasy series that I have on my list (that I will never get to it seems) with Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I really wanted to add that to my list, but with his name attached (after the first 3 I think), I don't see it happening.

Now I hope I get used to his voice more, I am going to finish this audio as I have heard this book is really, really good, but so far it is starting off as a struggle.

I will let you know how it goes.
 Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS