HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:49:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, June 3, 2020  (Read 3468 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 03, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »

Starting to feel a lot better.  Hopefully I’ll get through these this week.

ComiXolgy
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #5
Titans: Burning Rage #4
Titans: Burning Rage #5
Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5
Joker: Killer Smile #3

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27
Old Man Quill #11
Guardians of the Galaxy #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 11:59:57 AM »

Action #1022
Wonder Woman #755
True Believers: Savage She-Hulk #1 reprint

UPDATE: Went back and picked up
Shazam #12
Marauders #10
WW #756
X-Men #5
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:10:56 PM by Gay Titan » Logged
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:12:06 PM »

Almost a little of everything. No MU yet.
 Grin

NEW
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #2 - So far, not quite as compelling as the first two mini's, although with the different art I may be getting influenced by my eyes rather than my head. Still, A decent issue showing how ***** **** was turned and the events prior. Still, I love this project as a whole and still look forward to this each week (or every other week?) while I also wait for the next 7 issue mini DCeased: Dead Planet. Both are still buys for me.

PRINT
Invincible #9
Invincible #10
- Continuing my reread of this title with the goal/hope of finishing the run this time 'round. I still can't remember where I left off, but I know I got a long way to go before I get back to that spot. I just don't want to forget too much history by jumping ahead further. I mean, it's still fun rereading this stuff, not like it's a chore.
 Grin

DCU
JSA #7
JSA #8
JSA #9
JSA #10
A great 4 issue mini-arc finished off with a fantastic Wildcat solo fight issue. As for the arc, man do I love me some Dr. Midnight!!! The Obsidian story was really fun. Loved the coloring of the issue ... just perfect. Finishing the night with Wildcat taking it to the bad guys was also worth staying up for. Very intrigued by this Johnny Sorrow dude. As a ... well ... somewhat a DC novice I guess ... I am not up on him at all.
And hey, anyone know what happened to this Sadowski artist? loving his clean yet shadowed approach and kinda find him to be a cross between Alan Davis and Dan Jurgens to my eyes. I think he does a good bit of this JSA run, but is he doing anything now? I guess I can go look huh?
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »

I loved LOVED Sadowski's art.

I can't remember if he ended up having lateness issues, but his career isn't hugely prolific (like a Davis or Jurgens), but I saw he did some image work back in 2018, and his twitter shows he's still doing commissions.

I like that when you go to his wikipedia page, it says 'Canadian comic book artist' and openly gay. That's it!  Roll Eyes

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »

PRINT
Invincible #9
Invincible #10
- Continuing my reread of this title with the goal/hope of finishing the run this time 'round. I still can't remember where I left off, but I know I got a long way to go before I get back to that spot. I just don't want to forget too much history by jumping ahead further. I mean, it's still fun rereading this stuff, not like it's a chore.
 Grin

Forgot to mention, every time I got a new Invincible Ultimate Hardcover, I'd go back and reread the entire series from the beginning again. When I got to #7....I only reread the last one just to refresh! Those first 10 issues, those first 25 issues, those first 50 issues...just wow...

and I was always irritated that it seemed forever to me until the very end to give Ottley credit for Invincible. I mean, Cory Walker only drew the first 7 issues...Ottley drew over 127!!!! HE'S the real creator to that book, I'm sorry. I think it was in the Ultimate last HC that Kirkman finally said Ottley is the 3rd creator of the book.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:13:04 PM »

I can't remember if he ended up having lateness issues, but his career isn't hugely prolific (like a Davis or Jurgens), but I saw he did some image work back in 2018, and his twitter shows he's still doing commissions.

Hmmm, damn, wish he was doing more monthly stuff  Sad Oh, and thanks as I damn sure forgot to look him up after I posted.
 Cheesy

And with Kirkman, yeah, I was never sure why it took him so long to give Ottley his due. I get the he wanted to respect the original co-creator in Walker, but damn he jumped ship fast as hell with Moore, who only did 6 issues of the Walking Dead, to give Adlard props (and creator pay), but Ottley worked his ass off for years before finally getting a nod.
 Undecided
But I know there was much anger and the situation is totally different between the groups with each property. I know Kirkman hated that Moore was so slow, but damn ... what did that have anything to do with Ottley in taking over for ... well ... Walker had personal issues so I understand the loyalty, but ... yeah ... just odd. Or is it ODDLey?
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 03:26:40 AM »

ComiXolgy

Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27
Old Man Quill #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #5 - End of the Professor Zoom arc. Do these have an ending?

Titans: Burning Rage #4 & #5 - Mento! But the writing is only so-so unfortunately.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »

Thunderstorm woke me up last night so, while watching the flashes and listening to the thunder, I decided to get a little more JSA in.

JSA #11
JSA #12
JSA #13
JSA #14
JSA #15
- An okay Extant story, not super enjoyable like the last arc, but a good enough read

JSA #16 - Oh, the IJA strike at the onset of this new are!! I always love the bad guy take over the grounds.  Cool Hoping to get a little more on Johnny Sorrow this time around. Also, I went back and looked because I could have sworn that Sadowski has a new inker for this current run of issues, but no, Bair was the inker on the first few issues Sadowski did but something is different. I don't know if Sadowski is just blue scetching now and having Bair do most of the work or what but something is different. It isn't "bad" per se, but no-where like the look of the first few issues from this team.

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #2

Invincible #9
Invincible #10

JSA #7
JSA #8
JSA #9
JSA #10

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »

ComiXolgy

Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27
Old Man Quill #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

Suicide Squad #4 & 5 - Captain Boomerang is back!  Two more good issues and a big reveal at the end of issue 5!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »

ComiXolgy

Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27

Old Man Quill #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

Joker: Killer Smile #3 - Kind of a sad ending. But good tale and I’d like to follow what happens next.

Immortal Hulk #26 & 27 - Good new direction. This will be fun seeing the Hulk go on offense.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »

ComiXolgy

Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27

Old Man Quill #11

Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

Old Man Quill #11 - story is winding down and this issue ties up some conflict then sets us up for next issues final battle.

Guardians of the Galaxy #11 - ok issue setting us up for next issue.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 06:40:52 PM »

Finished last night with a few more Invincible rereads. Still have not surpassed where I was originally. Just wish I could remember where I hit.
 Cheesy

Invincible #11
Invincible #12
Invincible #13
Invincible #14
Invincible #15
Invincible #16
- Every time I read the last page of an "issue" I think the next issue is going to be new to me. Haha, not yet!

DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #2

Invincible #9
Invincible #10

JSA #7
JSA #8
JSA #9
JSA #10

JSA #11
JSA #12
JSA #13
JSA #14
JSA #15

JSA #16

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS