HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:05:36 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, May 27, 2020  (Read 6935 times)
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 05:40:13 PM »

Throwing some MU/DCU stuff in for this weeks reads ... and buying some new as well Angry but not a lot and I'm not 100% sure I will. But at least I am slowing down ... it will just take time.
 Grin
Still scared of what I will do with Empyre, X of Swords and Death Metal though
 Embarrassed Undecided

DC Digital
Swamp Thing: New Roots #5
Batman: Gotham Nights #6 - Only because Bgdonivic is the artist. I love that Capullo clone!

New Stuff
Avengers #33 - Yes, Aaron's run on this title has been ... not good ... but gotta check out the Khonshu Kid!! Moon Knight War? Okay, ya got me!

Suicide Squad #5 - This is going to be hard to wait for because I am enjoying it so much, so far. We will see
Justice League #45 - Much like Moon Knight, hard for me to not read a Spectre issue. I may wait, maybe  Angry OH! Perhaps my latest Back Issue is in and I can go to the LCS, pick it up and maybe peruse the shelves to flip through it?
 Wink Shocked

MU
Daredevil #4
Daredevil #5
Avengers (1998) #1 - Been so long and Perez WW has me wanting this

DCU
JSA #6
Wonder Woman #8
Flash #174
Infinity Inc #1 - May try this one, maybe

Which version of Infinity Inc? The original offsprings of the JSA?
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »

Which version of Infinity Inc? The original offsprings of the JSA?

Yeah. The Roy Thomas one. The first issue was, honestly, pretty brutal towards the middle. Just in the way it was presented, having three people/characters give their origin in one comic.
 Grin
But gonna try and ride as I am interested in seeing the stuff that happened before what's going on in John's JSA stuff. Well, involving characters in that Infinity Inc title of course, not the entirety of JSA stuff
 Grin

MU
Daredevil #4
Daredevil #5
Daredevil #6
Daredevil #7
- Got on a roll.  Grin I will say that I am not overly excited about the art style switching so harshly after the first arc  Undecided Going from my preferred, darker Checchetto art to the more ... light and whimsy Sharma (who looks very much indicative of Mark Bagley) was not the easiest thing to do, but the story is still solid at least. I just wish editors did a better job of matching style with style. I know Jimbo isn't wowed by Amazing Spider-Man (I haven't read it since Hunted) but that editor at least gets art styles that look somewhat the same. It does make the change less drastic.

DCU
Infinity Inc. #1 - Ha, you can tell this was written when it was (early/mid 80's) and by who it was (a Silver Age writer  Grin) Still, I'm moving forward as I do want to know this team.

Kinda read, mostly?
Justice League #45 - Had to see what the Spectre was up to so I scanned this  while waiting to grab my latest Back Issue mag. Pretty interesting, for the JL team I guess, briefly at least. As for Spectre, I don't think it will last too long ... not again.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 11:45:02 PM »

ComiXolgy
Mauraders #10
DCeased: Unkillables #3

Swamp Thing: New Roots #3
Swamp Thing: New Roots #4
Aquaman: Deep Dives #3
Aquaman: Deep Dives #4

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #3
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #4
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #5
Titans: Burning Rage #4
Titans: Burning Rage #5
Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5
Joker: Killer Smile #3

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27
Old Man Quill #11
Guardians of the Galaxy #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

Swamp Thing: New Roots #3, 4, & 5 - I like the continuing story.  Definitely want to see how this ends up.

Aquaman: Deep Dives #3 - Blah story with Tempest.  I didn’t find it that interesting.

Aquaman: Deep Dives #4 - Good focus on Aqualad.  Good for me anyway because I knew nothing about this character.  I liked getting his background with Black Manta.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »

I READ!!!!.....

Unlimited

Miles Morales, Spider-man 2-12: I wanted to get caught up on some more of the other backlog that seemed intimidating. So, I spent a day or two on this. From what I read, this is...boring. Then I started thinking, what makes it boring? I came to my own reasoning that it doesn't have layers or story and plot. What starts on page 1 is how it ends on page 22? Sure, I like moments here and there! OH OH! You know what? It's like watching an episode of Life According to Jim or In the Middle. Now, I'd never watch either show if I had to. When it's on, I've seen it, had a chuckle, but there is just a weakness to both shows that is realized, why neither of them ever approached the heights of Seinfeld or Friends or etc etc. Another title I'm just not going to bother with anymore.

Amazing Spider-man 34 - an ok outing. Not quite sure why or how Doom has a million Doombots in NYC, but okay, whatever. I did like the explanation that even as there are tons of 'from the future' characters running around, those turn out to be alternate realities, as opposed to staying that Miguel is ALWAYS the future of this time. I like that.

Captain America 16 - I think this also falls into a boring territory? It's like having a county fair local bar band playing Enter Sandman as opposed to seeing Metallica play it. Yeah, it sounds the same...kind of...but it doesn't resonate right. This book may be hitting the chopping block too.

Immortal Hulk 27- simply awesome!! Fantastic! But GASP if you went to the letters page, 6 months late, There's a little cartoon of Joe Bennett saying goodbye to his little son with angel wings. oh no!!! I went to look, and it's just known as he told twitter and through comics that he had a young son die. I'm crushed. Also, I had no idea who Joe Bennett *was* as it's just an American pseudonym for an amazing Brazilian artist, who's career I've loved loved LOVED ever since the Clone Saga and some Spider-man Annuals and Web of Spider-man books. I feel crushed for him.  Cry

Deadpool 1 - yep, a new #1 . The prior volume ended at issue 15, with Skottie Young as writer, and it was mostly frivolous 'make sure to fill the shelves with a Deadpool comic' kind of book. Now, here's Kelly Thompson coming on as writer...with Chris Bachalo on art duties. SONUVA**********CH!!! I CANNOT STAND, AND HATE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND ANY OF HIS PENCILS. I don't care if he's imaginative if I can't be told a F*****G story from what he illustrates. A tremendous struggle for me.

King Thor 3- Yeah, loving it!! 1 more issue ever of Aaron's Thor work? Oh, I'm sad and heartbroken. A true company line leader in excellence for the company.

Loki 5 - OH, I love me this book. I truly do. I think even sometimes I don't understand what is truly progressing to where due to Loki's deviousness, and also twisted story of himself from recent years, but I feel this is a true gem of a book!

Tony Stark, Iron Man 18 - What a weird book, it just is! I'm excited just to see how duplicitous Arno Stark truly is.

Time to go find me some DC stuff...a year back! LOL Deathstroke, Green Lantern, Justice League, Aquaman, ...

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »

ComiXolgy
Mauraders #10

———————————————————————-

Swamp Thing: New Roots #3, 4, & 5 - I like the continuing story.  Definitely want to see how this ends up.

Aquaman: Deep Dives #3 - Blah story with Tempest.  I didn’t find it that interesting.

Aquaman: Deep Dives #4 - Good focus on Aqualad.  Good for me anyway because I knew nothing about this character.  I liked getting his background with Black Manta.

Is Deep Dives in print or digital only?
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 01:52:11 PM »

I believe digital only.  They’re 99 cents each and come out weekly.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »

I believe digital only.  They’re 99 cents each and come out weekly.

Well, kinda.
They are in print already (or were at one time) as these digital only "issues" are just the reprint stories of the original stories that were in print in the Walmart Giant Sized DC comics. Books full of reprints, with one original story, that is now being printed in digital only.
Is that right? Yeah, I think.
 Cheesy

Except of course for the first arc of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman that were in those Giants. Those were reprinted not too long ago in both forms (digital and print) and were sold as 6 issue mini's called:

Batman: Universe
Superman: Up in the Sky
and
Wonder Woman: Come Back to Me

I only read the Batman one, by Bendis. It was okay, with the usual glaring continuity issues that Bendis always ignores but had some fantastic art work by Nick Derington was worth it alone. So good!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 06:52:17 PM »

Man, can I jump around or what? No wonder I never finish any of the series I start.  Angry
 Grin Re-reading Invincible as I never finished it and would like to, but it has been far to long for me to try and pick up without starting over. I need to make a decision on it anyway. Well, not "Need", but want.
 Grin

Avengers #33 - So my desire to see Moon Knight and the talk around the water cooler took over and I had to get this. Oh, man, this was so darn fun. Haha, made me mad (a tad), made me laugh (a little) but made me smile (a lot). Khonshu is no joke!! 

JSA #6 - A quick Black Adam fight (too quick?) and an intro, for me anyway, to an "Agent Chase" (DEO)
Suicide Squad #5 - Nooo! One thing I can say is the title is living up to the promise of more death!! Another good issue though!!

Rogue Planet #1 - Another Bunn Sci-Fi epic that I had to try. Good and may get #2 if it hits on a small week
Invincible #1
Invincible #2
Invincible #3
Invincible #4
Invincible #5
Invincible #6
Invincible #7
Invincible #8
- Rereading my HC's again as I am thinking about getting rid of them ... I think ... maybe  Undecided

Daredevil #4
Daredevil #5
Daredevil #6
Daredevil #7

Infinity Inc. #1
Justice League #45

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:01 PM »

No way will I get rid of my Invincible Ultimate HC!!! Wonderful examples of what comics are best at!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 09:25:17 AM »

No way will I get rid of my Invincible Ultimate HC!!! Wonderful examples of what comics are best at!!!

Having not finished them yet, and having no idea where I stopped ... 30'ish? ... I agree totally. But thinking about getting rid of all my print stuff before we sell and move. I noticed my local library doesn't have them so ... why not share the joy?

I may end up changing my mind and keep them, along with my Hickman's Manhattan Project as two "must keeps", but yeah, just making room. But, gotta finish first
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »

Still moving at a snails pace.

ComiXolgy
Mauraders #10

Swamp Thing: New Roots #4

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #3
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #4

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #5
Titans: Burning Rage #4
Titans: Burning Rage #5
Suicide Squad #4
Suicide Squad #5
Joker: Killer Smile #3

Marvel Unlimited
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27
Old Man Quill #11
Guardians of the Galaxy #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

———————————————————————-

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #3 - decent enough story

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #4 - start of the Professor Zoom arc and fun read.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS