HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:45:30 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader for May 20, 2020 (Jeff-less?)  (Read 3757 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 20, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »

So, as Jeff went and had a heart issue (what the hell, man?  Wink .... pssst, maybe he saw something on a page he hated so much his heart said "I'm out!"?  Wink) I know there will not be a lot of comics read this week. Let's face it, Jeff maybe down again and that dude rips through some comics  Cheesy but while I am still hoping to see a Jeff list of at least an issue or two, after all, what else is he doing  Grin, we can still post our little bits, right?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »

Alot of blank spaces on the comic wall and was hoping for more new material.
But this is what I got and reading this week:

Amethyst #2
Lois Lane #10 (not my usual fare but a couple pages that explain the current multiverse)
Justice League #44

Anyone know when the new Death Metal mini is rescheduled to be released?
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »

I shall soldier on and post in Jeff's stead as well!!

That said, as I open the DC app...It is WITHIN ONE MONTH of picking up where I last bought my actual hard copy , er, floppy copy issues! I picked up the app at just the right time! LOL

That said:

DCUniverse
Adventures of the Super Sons 6-10: Damn you Bendis for what you took from DC fans. THIS is Jon, not your bullshit. Love this series; can't say enough thanks to Tomasi for his work on the Super books for the 4 years he did.

Hawkman 10-12: A big Hawkman spectacle for all Hawkmen everywhere. I think it helps clean up a lot of what got done wrong to Carter after N52...and I think it entirely skips over Death of Hawkman too? Oh well, that's fine!!

Marvel Unlimited
The life of Captain Marvel 1-5: A pretty decent story, actually! Does a small reset on her origin, which I think does a good change to make her more than the 'damsel to (original) Captain Marvel's distress' who just happened to get the best superpowers ever. Makes the character feel a little more worthwhile. I will pick up with that series...which is over a year old as of its Jan 9,2019 publishing. So I get 6 months to read!

Amazing Spider-man 30: Whatever. This title just feels...poor. Be nice if it actually told some small stories instead of a 5 month event after a 5 month event.

Daredevil 13: hee hee great stuff! However, making Fisk a bit too much like the TV show Fisk is not quite how I want to see the character run.

Guardians of the Galaxy 11: Still waiting for this title to prove it has any legs to stand up to Abnett and Lanning's work, which set the new benchmark 16 years ago for what GotG books should be.

Immortal Hulk 26: Back on track!!! Heh heh heh heh...I love a slightly mad Banner who has a plan. At least I think he's mad.  Cool In any case, when Banner has a path with a goal, and a plan for it, bad things happen!!

Fantastic Four...754?: Sorry Perry...but I like the ideas coming out, and I enjoy my time reading this...so far. I wouldn't put this on any pedestal, but it's better than other Slott fare so far!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:36:51 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 02:26:30 PM »

Take two.  I’m going to try and get through these now that I’m home.

ComiXolgy
Swamp Thing: New Roots #3
Aquaman: Deep Dives #3
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #3
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #4
Batman: Gotham Nights #4
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #4
Titans: Burning Rage #4
Suicide Squad #4
Joker: Killer Smile #3
Plunge #2
Casanova TPB Vol 2 (Collects Casanova: Gula #1-4)

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #6
Doctor Doom #2
Immortal Hulk #26
Old Man Quill #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 12:34:08 PM »

Anyone know when the new Death Metal mini is rescheduled to be released?

If you still want this answered, according to DC's site (on May 14th ... may have changed by now?) The new date is June 16th

Guardians of the Galaxy 11: Still waiting for this title to prove it has any legs to stand up to Abnett and Lanning's work ...

It won't. But then again, what could? Still ... a little better than Bendis GotG, but still not a powerful outing by Cates. I think he knew it as well and that is why, much like Brubaker did with Dark Avengers, he let it go. Realized his drive wasn't there as much as he wanted. I can appreciate that.

Fantastic Four...754?: Sorry Perry...but I like the ideas coming out, and I enjoy my time reading this...so far. I wouldn't put this on any pedestal, but it's better than other Slott fare so far!!

Glad you are enjoying it. I still hate it.  Grin
Compare this to the Invisible Woman mini and you can see the different vibe, the different, much better aura of just her character if no-one else. Now I'm not saying Slott doesn't "care" as much as Waid, but I think Waid "gets" the FF (or Sue in this case) more than Slott. Now like you touched on, I think Slott's plots are okay enough, but his dialog, pacing, structure .... yada, yada, yada....  Tongue
But again, enjoy away, good sir
 Cool

DCU
Wonder Woman #7 - A breather issue, setting the stage for the next go'round  Grin
Flash #171
Flash #172
Flash #173
- A decent run, wanted a little more one on one with this Magenta chick, but still, pretty solid even though not spectacular

New Comics
Plunge #3 - Joe Hill written and Perry enjoyed! Hope this is a 6 issue mini.
DCeased: Unkillables #3 (of 3) - Super sad to see this one end. The first two minis of this - Amazing
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #1 (of 12?) - So we jump right into a new mini as soon as the other one is done. This one not as punchy as the last two, at least not at the start, and the art is a little less powerful though still not bad. Not sure how this ties in yet ... I mean, it seems to be set in the past, right before the events of the original DCeased mini, but ... I'm not sure yet.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 01:06:49 PM »

Not sure I can keep up this pace, Jeff. Hurry back to health.
 Grin

DCU
JSA #2
JSA #3
- Johns is not yet on board, but still enjoying this title. Dr. Fate next issue!

DC Digital
Batman: Gotham Nights #1
Batman: Gotham Nights #2
Batman: Gotham Nights #3
- Torn here. I like and want to support cheaper digital output, but this is kinda bland  Undecided
Swamp Thing #3
Swamp Thing #4
- I enjoy this more. Perhaps only because I am not as well read on Swampy as I am Batman. I mean if you compare the amount of stories I have read of each. I guess that is why, while both are not knocking my socks off story wise, I feel better about this title as I haven't read as many stories to compare it to. The Batman is, well, just typical Bat stuff that we have all seen or read in some shape or form, stories that I have read so many times over the years that I am kinda tired of it already (Although I did enjoy the Poison Ivy issue!). Meanwhile Swamp Thing's issues have been more like new stories ... even though it isn't groundbreaking stuff. If that makes sense?
Oh, but one question that may be a spoiler ...
Is Holland the Swamp Thing again now in DC? I know Moore established Swamp Thing was never Holland, not really, but this book pretty much presents him as such. Was that retconned back in Snyders Nu52 Swamp Thing title? I don't remember but thinking it was, maybe?

New
Avengers of the Wasteland #4 - Man, the shine has worn of this title. Hoping it was only this issue but I didn't enjoy this read. Felt totally different than the first three issue. I think there is one more left, maybe two, so I may stay on, but yeah, this was a dud
 Undecided

Wonder Woman #7
Flash #171
Flash #172
Flash #173

Plunge #3
DCeased: Unkillables #3 (of 3)
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #1 (of 12?)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:47:27 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 11:39:35 PM »

As for your spoiler, I believe that was re-examined and changed, in a good way, by Lemire when he wrote Swamp Thing Nu52.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »

As for your spoiler, I believe that was re-examined and changed, in a good way, by Lemire when he wrote Swamp Thing Nu52.

Okay, I am assuming that is a typo or did I miss Lemire taking over the title? I kinda remember Lemire's Animal Man, well, I remember him doing an Animal Man title, I don't remember anything from my reading or either ST or AM now, even though I know I did, but ya know my memory is gone now.
So, are you saying Lemire wrote it in Animal Man and Snyder rolled with it in Swamp Thing or did I forget Lemire wrote Swamp Thing and he wrote it in Swamp Thing at a later point or ...?
 ... okay, now I'm really confused.
 Smiley Cheesy

All that said, I guess it did happen in the Nu52 era though?
I guess that is my main question anyway.
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 01:19:20 PM »

So...yes...ahem! I was wrong. Maybe more confused than anything.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

If you go to read the 'Alec Holldand' entrants in wikipedia, particularly after Brightest day, then it gets you all correctly caught up, with the correct writer's and titles and everything.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 10:28:10 PM »

If you go to read the 'Alec Holldand' entrants in wikipedia, particularly after Brightest day, then it gets you all correctly caught up, with the correct writer's and titles and everything.  Wink

Right on  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »

Yep, slowing down  Cheesy ...

DCU
JSA #4
JSA #5
- Issue #4 gives me a brief history of this Dr. Fate, Hector Hall, the son of Hawkman/Hawkgirl (whose parentage changes in the future it seems ... or the body does but the soul is ... yeah ... okay, skipping all that thinking for now, I will find out as we go Cheesy). The issue ends with Sandy turning to sand (Haha, something that happened to him back in JLA #113 I think it mentioned).
Issue #5 jumps right in where we left off as Sandy travels through the Earth, naked, and confronts a baddie. We are then shown Sandy's new/old powers of turning to sand and controling his density in silica, as well as his new costume that now always him to stay dressed  Grin, as he discusses all this with the team as they all decide to regroup the JSA
Oh yeah,
we are shown Obsidian on the last page and that makes me wonder if I should stop reading this and read the old Infinity Inc run first ... Hmmm, maybe, maybe not.

Avengers of the Wasteland #4

Wonder Woman #7
Flash #171
Flash #172
Flash #173

Plunge #3
DCeased: Unkillables #3 (of 3)
DCeased: Hope at Worlds End #1 (of 12?)
JSA #2
JSA #3

Batman: Gotham Nights #1
Batman: Gotham Nights #2
Batman: Gotham Nights #3

Swamp Thing #3
Swamp Thing #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 06:08:29 PM »

Well, I made it through two!

ComiXolgy
Swamp Thing: New Roots #3
Aquaman: Deep Dives #3
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #3
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #4
Batman: Gotham Nights #4
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #4
Titans: Burning Rage #4
Suicide Squad #4
Joker: Killer Smile #3
Plunge #2
Casanova TPB Vol 2 (Collects Casanova: Gula #1-4)

Marvel Unlimited
Black Cat #6
Doctor Doom #2

Immortal Hulk #26
Old Man Quill #11
Doctor Aphra #38
Web of Black Widow #3
Dare Devil #1
Dare Devil #2
Dare Devil #3
Dare Devil #4
Dare Devil #5
Dare Devil #6

————————————————————————-

Black Cat #6 - kind of a one shot date night for Felicia and Batroc.  Not a bad book but I’m ready to move on.

Doctor Doom #2 - lost interest in this one.  Doom is too much of a wuss.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »

Doctor Doom #2 - lost interest in this one.  Doom is too much of a wuss.

I've heard other choice words  Cheesy but yeah, was told "No" when I said I was excited about trying this book. "Not a Doom you would know or enjoy, Perry"
Glad to know I was saved from the bad.
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS