HR Boards
March 03, 2024, 09:54:06 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, April 29, 2020 Preparing to Open  (Read 9410 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 01:30:05 PM »

Avengers 13-21:And just before, I was cooing Jason Aaron's name over and over again. Well, that does not apply to this title. This is not interesting. This is not good. How do you write Thor as you do in his solo title, only to make him movie version Drax in the Avengers? Ugh, this is not good. I've got 3 more issues to catch up with Unlimited...because I'm a completist...and I think I'll just drop it. I do not like this.

You've made it farther then I did.  That's a terrible comic.  It must be written by Bizarro Aaron from another universe.

Oh, I missed this post.

OKAY THAT CUTS IT.

I'm not reading the rest of this. Cutting myself off; ripping the band-aid free, going cold turkey. Just stopping this nonsense.

speaking of nonsense....

Amazing Spider-man 26-31 and Absolute Carnage 1 & 4: What dreck. Utter worthless reading. For starters, that Carnage stuff is just a mess, and protractedly far too long, as was Maximum Carnage back in the day, with crossovers, title interruptions, and money making one-shots that add little as there is no depth or nuance to this stuff. It's just punching and shouting of 'not again!' 'this ends here' and that lame jazz. I purposefully read issues 1 and 4 to really see if I was missing something, or if I'd be lost. NOPE. Then there were 2 crossover issues into Amazing....and the best part there was not Carnage Osborn, but Kindred talking...in long circles....makes it sound like he's a dead Harry Osborn...is Harry dead again? I don't even know with this timeline.

Still discussing Amazing....the brief two parter with Boomerang and Syndicate was fun, then comes this crossover with Carnage, and now it becomes yet another cross over event thing with the 'future is burning' and bringing 2099 back fully into the fold.

I feel...yet more disinterest about this. Maybe I truly sound like a terribly old cranky man this morning...but complete stories, stories to themselves are fantastic. Immortal Hulk, Thor; that stuff just wins. This crossover and interrupted nonsense? No fan here is how I feel.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »

ComiXolgy
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - 30th Anniversary Edition
Over My Dead Body TPB
DCeased: The Unkillables #1
Joker: Killer Smile #1
Plunge #1
Strange Adventures #1
Suicide Squad #2
Titans: Burning Rage #2

Marvel Unlimited
King Thor #2
Immortal Hulk #25

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over My Dead Body TPB - Fun crime series by Jay Faerber.  Basically a former assassin agrees to find a runaway daughter for the warden of the prison he’s in in exchange for his parole.  The search leads him into a larger plot and the story takes a greater turn.  I enjoyed.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 04:21:43 AM »

ComiXolgy
Over My Dead Body TPB

Plunge #1
Strange Adventures #1
Suicide Squad #2

Marvel Unlimited
King Thor #2
Immortal Hulk #25

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCeased: The Unkillables #1 - I might like this more than the first series! The whole event from the villains point of view plus Jason Todd & Cassandra Cain!  Great first issue.

Joker: Killer Smile #1 - this is creepy! And I like it.  Lemire’s as good as ever.

Plunge #1 - a new comic from the Joe Hill line and they had me with first full splash page.  Great art and an interesting mystery to boot.  And one scary cliff hanger!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »

HERE WE GO!!!

Smiley

Tony Stark, Iron Man 14-17: Slott's work...

Is why I didn't even try this. No interest at all.

Captain America 12-15: Another title I'm not connecting with.

This one, at least for the first three issues, we will have to be on opposite sides  Smiley I know that is a rarity  Cheesy
I have yet to read past the first three however as this title was suppose to be one of the driving forces that was going to get me into signing up for MU (along with Zdarsy's DD and Cate's Thor ... the one title I couldn't wait for  Undecided), so I will have to wait and see if I agree with you on the rest at a later time. I hope I still differ from you as I did like what I read in the first 3 ... but we will have to see

Dead Man Logan

Still have to read this one. You and Jeff both seem to like it so I think I will as well!!

Amazing Spider-man 15-25, along with the 3 .1 issues: Well, I read all 37 parts of the Hunted arc....So here's the good!....Nothing. Sorry, I found this to be all junk.

As I said on MarcoPolo ... JEFF, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!?! .... I get what you are saying and I do feel it was far too long a run for what it was, but I enjoyed this arc.

Don't know what it means that I have yet to read any more of Amazing since I got through this arc, so maybe subconsciously I agree with you more than I think I do?
 Cheesy
I do also agree that while I loved Ottley on Invincible and even sent him a "I can't wait" via twitter when I heard he was a new artist on Amazing, his art didn't hit me as much as I had hoped or thought it would
 Undecided

Uncanny X-men 14-21: I wanted to finish all of Rosenberg's stuff before Hickman's House of X..!! And what...what the hell was that? LOL Not in a bad, calling it crap way, but man....what it did...was just brutalize the X-men, push them, and now...erase it? I havne't read House of X yet, and I know Hickman is a game breaker and game changing, but Rosenberg's work was brutal. I'm not sure I'd go with 'good' or 'great' but it was something else!

I appreciated what Rosenburg did especially considering that he knew he would be writing a "nothing" arc. I like his stuff and this didn't change that
 Smiley

Immortal Hulk 25: Did. Not. Like. 

Also spoke quickly to you on Marco about this ... AGAIN, JEEEEFFFFFF?!?!?!?! .... and yeah ... yep

Avengers 13-21:And just before, I was cooing Jason Aaron's name over and over again. Well, that does not apply to this title.

Jeff pretty much summed up all of our feelings about Aaron's Avengers. Slott killed my FF, but Aaron? Did NOT expect that. Boring, bad art style fit, not Avengers like and all of that from the very beginning at issue #1. Think about what we had ... Celestials? Vampires? Ghost Rider? New Universe? ALL just a yawn fest that made my eyes cry with each issue. As much as I adored his Conan run, his Thor run(s), this title was just the opposite.

Editors partly responsible because Jason Aaron should NEVER be paired with McGuiness art. I can enjoy that style, but not with Aaron. Much Like Mike del Mundo ... two artists that I can appreciate, that should never work with Aaron. The artistic style and the writing voice is just far too different.
 Angry

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man 8-12: THIS.

Yes sir, this was a good one. Sadly, for me at least, it fell off quite rapidly after issue 12. Hopefully you will feel differently!
 Smiley

DCeased: The Unkillables #1 - I might like this more than the first series ... Great first issue.

Agree! DC has something special here. Hope it contiues but at the same time I am scared they will run it into the ground. Already another mini lined up in the wings after this one. Sad as it is to say, I hope that will be the last ... for awhile at least
 Undecided

Joker: Killer Smile #1 - this is creepy! And I like it.  Lemire’s as good as ever.

Agree! I may not have thought it was worth the full price, to me at least, I would say you will fell differently being the fan you are of Lemire.  Grin It is good, for sure, not a thing wrong with the product at all, other than what I paid for it.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Plunge #1 - a new comic from the Joe Hill line and they had me with first full splash page.  Great art and an interesting mystery to boot.  And one scary cliff hanger!

Yes sir. You just read three really good comics in a row!!! Love when that happens to me
 Grin

I will come back with what I have read a little later. I have been here way too long and my dog is wanting another walk ... hope I can do it!!
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »

Even slower going this week and I thought I actually had more that I got through, but its been a kinda crazy week and I know I started to go through a lot of issues, but it seems I only read a couple of complete issues and a heck of a lot of page one and twos.
 Grin

Flash (Digital First) #1 - an okay issue. Worth a buck for sure.
Flash v2 163
Flash v2 164 (John's start)
Flash v2 165
- I started reading #164, John's First issue and the way it started, I thought it would be best to read the issue prior. Ha, not at all tied in, but I read it anyway

Also, after watching the three Perez shorts on the DCU (just three little short videos with him talking about his three of his runs, New Teen Titans, Infinite Crisis and Wonder Woman) I also got a desire to start his Wonder Woman arc, but like most of the other titles I started this week (and ended up getting sidetracked on), I fell asleep on page two or three last night.
 Grin

I have watched a lot of DC shorts this week though
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 04:21:22 PM »

ComiXolgy
Over My Dead Body TPB

Plunge #1
Strange Adventures #1
Suicide Squad #2

Marvel Unlimited
King Thor #2
Immortal Hulk #25

King Thor #2 - Loving this even with Gorr in it.  Aaron’s Loki in this is a great character and King Thor still does not really understand his brother.

Immortal Hulk #25 - I didn’t hate this like you guys did but maybe my expectations had been lowered.  Not that I enjoyed it, no.  It didn’t make much sense.  On second thought, maybe I did hate this like you guys.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 07:48:10 PM »

LOL there ya go Jeff!!!

I stopped reading after page 3 of Q-tip philosophy, and came back around to Galaga Hulk punching a planet, and still decided it was stupid.

Speaking of stupid!!!

I read, okay, I "read" (loosely there), Rob Liefeld's Major X. Why? Because I always want to know what causes such rabid fandom for his work. Mind you, it's terrible, it's something that should go away, I believe has gone away because of House of X ALSO DO WE HAVE OUR NORMAL OLD MAN CABLE BACK DUE TO HOUSE OF X?!?!! PLEASE BE IT SO!!!
*ahem*
but yeah, Major X has all the writing chops of a 12 year old writing dialogue. Just lame. Keep on walking by.

Fantastic Four Wedding, 5-12: FF is no pedestal book for me. If it's bad, I just walk away and don't care. When it's awesome, I'm totally on board! I think I.....I think the book is a bit kitschy for me. Like, swarmy in how Slott writes families. LIke, it's how poor sitcom writers (think, Life According to Jim) write family dynamics and dialogue. If anything, ANYTHING, I enjoy teen Franklin for his anger about how he will soon no longer fit in the life of the Fantastic Family. That aingst, anger, and fear is pretty good. The rest? Doom's pathetic trap was...yeah, uh, pathetic. He can capture Galactus, but he didn't know Sue can make things invisible outside herself? Or that Johnny can control temperatures, or lack thereof? That's weak-ass sauce there, man!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »

I also just removed from my 'to -read' list in the MU Future Foundation, Black Panther, and Thanos. Even free...I don't even care enough to start this at all.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 08:13:36 PM »

ALSO DO WE HAVE OUR NORMAL OLD MAN CABLE BACK DUE TO HOUSE OF X?!?!! PLEASE BE IT SO!!!

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.....unfortunately.

But you will want to read this when it comes to MU in six months.   First part of the book is bad but it takes a much better turn in the middle and you’ll want to see the end.  Issue 2 was delayed due to quarantine so I can’t speak if it sustains the goodness or not but fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:33:40 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:43 AM »

Damnit no!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 12:09:24 AM »

ComiXolgy
Over My Dead Body TPB

Plunge #1
Strange Adventures #1
Suicide Squad #2

Marvel Unlimited
King Thor #2
Immortal Hulk #25

Strange Adventures #1 - oh man this is a hit. Or will be!  On par with his Mister Miracle and Vision.  Better than Mister Miracle but not quite up to Vision...yet. But has the potential!

Suicide Squad #2 - Wow! Better than issue 1.  Now I’m interested!

Titans: Burning Rage #2 - this was decent but suffered from the fact that I read two GREAT comics right before it.  Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 06:27:24 PM »

Since I finished my list early, I’m going to try to get these 99 cent comics read today and tomorrow.  I know it’s ambitious but I’ll give it a try!

ComiXology
Aquaman: Deep Dives #1
Aquaman: Deep Dives #2
Batman: Gotham Nights #1
Batman: Gotham Nights #2
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #1
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #2
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #1
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #2
Swamp Thing: New Roots #1
Swamp Thing: New Roots #2
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #1
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #2

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »

Shocked
Forgot about Swamp Thing Sunday!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 01:16:28 AM »

ComiXology
Aquaman: Deep Dives #1
Aquaman: Deep Dives #2
Batman: Gotham Nights #1
Batman: Gotham Nights #2

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #1
Flash: Fastest Man Alive #2

Superman: Man of Tomorrow #1
Superman: Man of Tomorrow #2
Swamp Thing: New Roots #1
Swamp Thing: New Roots #2
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #1
Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace #2

----------------------------------------------------

Aquaman: Deep Dives #1 - Wouldn't be an Aquaman #1 without Black Manta right?  I like it.  It seems like a comic of old where it's not bogged down by a lot of conspiracy elements.  A nice good guy vs bad guy story.

Aquaman: Deep Dives #2 - Ugh.  Different creative team on this one and right back to the tired old - big bad corporation dumping waste into the ocean story line.  Been there done that.  i'm wondering if this will change creative every issue?

Batman: Gotham Nights #1 - Ok I get.  These are all one shots.  This one has two stories in it.  Batman Medal of Honor and Batwoman Honor Code.  The Batman story was boring.  The Batwoman one was better but Larry Hama does not know how to write soldiers.  Way too much slang talk that's over the top.  I've worked with a lot of ex-military men over the years and none of them talk like that.

Batman: Gotham Nights #2 - Much better issue.  I like that these are one shots.  This story, like Aquaman #1, is classic hero vs villain.  And Clayface is one of my favorites.

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #1 - Not Gayle Simone's best here.  Plus it turned into yet another big bad corporation polluting the water.  Been there done that.

Flash: Fastest Man Alive #2 - Better than the first issue plus I'm a sucker for a time travel story.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »

I've only read a few myself, but I think you are correct about them being one-shots, but I found (with Swamp Thing at least) they can also have a longer, overarching story. I hope more do that.
 Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS