HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 06:12:08 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 26, 2020  (Read 8441 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 26, 2020, 03:24:13 PM »

All caught up on MU so I’m overloading on ComiXology stuff.  Might get all caught up here soon too!

ComiXolgy
New Mutants #8
X-Force #8
X-Men #7
Criminal #12
Ice Cream Man #17
Redneck #25
Rai #3
Roku #4
Star Trek: Picard #1
Star Trek: Picard #2
Star Trek: Picard #3
Harrow County Vol. 8: Done Come Back (Collects issues 29-32)
Spencer & Locke Vol 2 (Collects issues 1-4)
Outlaw Territory Vol 2

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:59:01 PM »

Okay, going to try something new here ... instead of grouping by company, I am going to try to group them by my desire to read them. My desire at this point in time. This may not work at all, in-fact I believe it will go off the rails by the second or third issue, but hey, worth the experiment.
 Cheesy

Suicide Squad #3 
X-Men #7
Fantastic Four: Grim Noir #1
X-Men/FF #2
Redneck #26
Batman #88
Batman #89
Ghost Rider #5
DCeased: Unkillables #1
Justice League Dark #20 - RamV's first issue

Ice Cream Man #18 (maybe)

and maybe some oldies

Harrow County #16
Harrow County #17
Harrow County #18

Dial H for Hero #1
Dial H for Hero #2
Dial H for Hero #3 - The 12 issue mini is finally done, so now it is time to try this

The Kill Lock #1
The Kill Lock #2 - Another title that was pushed on me. Issue #3 just dropped, but I will try the first two issues before committing to that third. Kinda hoping this sucks
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 04:08:52 AM »

ComiXolgy
New Mutants #8
X-Force #8
X-Men #7
Criminal #12
Ice Cream Man #17
Redneck #25
Rai #3
Roku #4
Outlaw Territory Vol 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Mutants #8 - Back to the New Mutants on Earth.  And the not so exciting start of a new arc.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »

New Mutants #8 - Back to the New Mutants on Earth.  And the not so exciting start of a new arc.

So I figured. Also heard the Hickman may be done with his story and so this title is solely Brisson now. And that is fine, I like his stuff, but not enough to pay $4 a month or more when I have so many other titles I want to read. I can wait on it.

I will still try a couple of the newer stuff when it hits, mainly Hellions, X-Factor and X-corp, just to see how they hit me and of course I will be getting all of the "Giant-Size" one-shots when they hit (Like the Jean Grey / Emma Frost one that hit yesterday), but I don't think I will stay with any of the titles that Hickman is not writing. I may be shocked and end up enjoying one or all of the new ones coming, but it will be a surprise if I stay on any of them for more than two or three issues. Especially once the "thrill" wears off.

The X-Men need three titles, max, and I think a lot more people would stay on.
 Undecided
Marvel has some great characters but you would swear that they only have two by their output of X-Men and Spider-Man titles (which Marvel just announced yet another Spider-Man title  Angry).

But hey, I guess it is the same for DC except it is Batman and (recently) Harley
 Sad

Both companies would do better, in the long run, to stop over-saturation, but that will never happen.

Sorry, got way off topic there.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 03:56:06 PM »

I’m staying “on” all the x titles, BUT gradually moving most over to MU.  New Mutants and X-Force are the next two I’m moving.  Like you, I’ll keep buying the Hickman written stuff.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »

ComiXolgy
New Mutants #8
X-Force #8
X-Men #7

Criminal #12
Ice Cream Man #17
Redneck #25
Rai #3
Roku #4
Outlaw Territory Vol 2

X-Force #8 - Of course, as soon as I say I’m moving this to MU I read this issue and love it.  Now I have to read the next issue!

X-Men #7 - WOW. And this is why this is the best X comic.  No, it’s the best Marvel comic out right now.  Completely blown away with this one.  Love the ethical discussion of resurrection and what it means for the soul.  GREAT conversation between Cyclops and Nightcrawler all while a questionable death and resurrection is happening.  My favorite issue to date.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 02:19:28 AM »

ComiXolgy
New Mutants #8
X-Force #8
X-Men #7

Criminal #12
Ice Cream Man #17
Redneck #25
Rai #3
Roku #4
Outlaw Territory Vol 2

EDIT Accidentally deleted this post so trying to redo this from memory.

Criminal #12 - Wow. So that’s how that happened!  Definitely was not how I expected it and now I want to read more,  why hasn’t the next issue been solicited yet.!?!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:16:10 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 12:59:31 PM »

Sadly just two so far  Angry

Suicide Squad #3  - Really enjoying this book. The art is solid as hell and the story with the new characters on this team (not all of them are new) truly work to make this a great title so far. I haven't enjoyed this title this much since it was called a different name  Cheesy. Yep, this Suicide Squad is good. Real good

X-Men #7 - This is also enjoyable, but I am starting to get troubled by the mutants. And not just in titles by Percy, but in all the titles now it seems. Maybe that is the plan and has been all along, but all of these characters are starting to get somewhat ... I don't know ... callous?
All of these mutants sitting around a circle watching Apocalypse pummel a young mutant, beating the shit out of her before finally killing her like this is a Roman sport of old is just so not Charles Xavier. Nor is it Sam Guthrie. Nor is it Cyclops or Nightcrawler. I understand the reasoning, lost powers will be restored if you die and get reborn, sure I get it, but the barbaric manner this is being done? No. This is not right. This further pushes my idea ... my hope ... that this "Xavier" is not who/what we think he is.
 Undecided

And also, and I hate to seem like I am going off on a hate rant as honestly, am not, but what is the deal with having this young lady, this girl even possibly (I don't remember her age, but I am sure she is in her teens, though she maybe 19?) just arising from the pod, naked as hell for all to see? What young girl is okay with that? No, this is not a "SJW" rant or a "Me Too" thing, at all, this is a person that has been around tons of young people and I know that they would not just stand there in front of the entire island with her damn pubes* in the open air.
 Angry

(* = She could trim or shave but not fresh out of the pod  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy)

I enjoyed the read, even though it may seem like I didn't  Cheesy and yes Jeff, the Nightcrawler/Cyke conversation was done very well, but something (I hope) is purposefully wrong here in Krakoa. Again, I hope
 Undecided

X-Men/FF #2
Redneck #26
Batman #88
Batman #89
Ghost Rider #5

and maybe some oldies

Harrow County #16
Harrow County #17
Harrow County #18

Dial H for Hero #1
Dial H for Hero #2
Dial H for Hero #3 - The 12 issue mini is finally done, so now it is time to try this

The Kill Lock #1
The Kill Lock #2

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 11:22:17 PM »

I enjoyed the read, even though it may seem like I didn't  Cheesy and yes Jeff, the Nightcrawler/Cyke conversation was done very well, but something (I hope) is purposefully wrong here in Krakoa. Again, I hope
 Undecided

Oh yeah - there's gotta be a rebellion at some point if they keep going down this road.  The seeds of doubt are there in that conversation.  It's fascinating the way the society is forming.

I agree with you on this....
I was like WTF when she was standing around naked as well.  I mean, come on!  Somebody give her a robe or at least a blanket!!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »

I agree with you on this....
I was like WTF when she was standing around naked as well.  I mean, come on!  Somebody give her a robe or at least a blanket!!

Cheesy RIGHT!?!?!

Suicide Squad #3  
X-Men #7

Fantastic Four: Grim Noir #1 - A nice 1-shot, which is sad because I thought I was getting a 4 issue mini  Cry
X-Men/FF #2 - This title leads me to beleive even stronger that something is up with the X-Men. Yes, they are protecting their own here, but ... and maybe I am seeing something that isn't there ... but there is a villainous feel to them now. Not evil, but when compared to the First Family, yes, there is something that makes me feel like they are the bad guys. Nothing in writing, per se, just a tone to this issue (and the most recent issues of the X-titles I have read). I can't put my fingers on it and yes, maybe their demand to be independent is making me see stuff that isn't there, I admit that, but I just don't feel like they are the good guys any longer. Again, maybe that is just because they are on the other side of the stick now, in charge of their life, their community and no longer running from "ours", but ... yeah ... it just feels like there is a set up coming.

Remember when Scott killed the Professor? Yes he was under the influence of the Phoenix Force, but I am getting a similar vibe now from Xavier now. I just don't trust the guy.
 Undecided

DCeased: Unkillables #1 - Skipped a head a little. I knew I wouldn't be able to do a list in order like that  Angry.
Good issue although I found the art to be really cool at times and then at others a cheap, very cheap, knock-off of Frank Quietly. Actually, thinking on it just now I am hit with exactly what it looked like ... Take Quietly and mix him with a little bt Jaun Jose Ryp and a dash of generic Dynamite guy and that is what this looked like. Again, it looked cool, but the faces were off a little. Not enough to ruin a pretty fun story ... if you enjoyed the first arc of this anyway  Grin This three issue mini is concentrating on the villains this time, and I am digging it!!

Redneck #26
Batman #88
Batman #89
Ghost Rider #5
-------OOPS----
Harrow County #16
Harrow County #17
Harrow County #18
Dial H for Hero #1
Dial H for Hero #2

The Kill Lock #1
The Kill Lock #2 - Another title that was pushed on me. Issue #3 just dropped, but I will try the first two issues before committing to that third. Kinda hoping this sucks

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 10:47:02 PM »

Fantastic Four: Grim Noir #1 - A nice 1-shot, which is sad because I thought I was getting a 4 issue mini  Cry

Bummer!  I thought it was a mini too!

X-Men/FF #2 - This title leads me to beleive even stronger that something is up with the X-Men. Yes, they are protecting their own here, but ... and maybe I am seeing something that isn't there ... but there is a villainous feel to them now. Not evil, but when compared to the First Family, yes, there is something that makes me feel like they are the bad guys. Nothing in writing, per se, just a tone to this issue (and the most recent issues of the X-titles I have read). I can't put my fingers on it and yes, maybe their demand to be independent is making me see stuff that isn't there, I admit that, but I just don't feel like they are the good guys any longer. Again, maybe that is just because they are on the other side of the stick now, in charge of their life, their community and no longer running from "ours", but ... yeah ... it just feels like there is a set up coming.

Remember when Scott killed the Professor? Yes he was under the influence of the Phoenix Force, but I am getting a similar vibe now from Xavier now. I just don't trust the guy.
 Undecided

Hmmm.  Sounds like I do need to pick this up.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 10:56:39 AM »

Hmmm.  Sounds like I do need to pick this up.

I don't know, Jeff. There is nothing overt in it, not really, so it could very well be just in my imagination that I find the X-Men being ... odd. Again, it could merely be I am not used to their powerful stance and it is hitting me as odd. That could be it.

The title is basically, in all honesty, just one of those usual happenings when two heroes or two groups of heroes get together and have a fight because they don'w talk it through. But here, there was some talking before the fight, but we still have yet to here from Franklin about what HE wants and so it is still the same thing in that way.

I hate to say spend your money on this when you can pretty much just image what is happening, mostly, and I just put something in your head that may not be there. I would feel bad if you bought the thing for my stupid misinterpretation of what the facts are that are being represented.
 Grin

I do feel something is going on, but how many times have I've been wrong? Way too many
 Cheesy

Qhile I am here ...

Suicide Squad #3 
X-Men #7

X-Men/FF #2

The Kill Lock #1 - Yeah, I jumped way off the reading order once more, going all the way towards the bottom and reading this book that was another of those "Hey Perry, I think you will dig on this [title]."  Roll Eyes
Boy did I!!!! This book (luckily only a 6 issue mini) is a book about four banished robots who, through the various crimes they have committed, are sentenced to The Kill Lock. I program that ties all four together so if one dies, they all die.  Not only is the premise pretty cool, especially since it seems their entire universe is also only robots, but their personalities are also very interesting ... as a group. You have the guilt ridden soldier, the working class addict, an innocent kid and, the best one, a vile, psycho engineer. The way they work together to try and get off the planet they were sent as part of their punishment is pretty cool and I can't wait to read the rest of this.
Why is this "innocent kid" part of this Kill Lock? Hmmmm???

Redneck #26
Batman #88
Batman #89
Ghost Rider #5
-------OOPS----
Harrow County #16
Harrow County #17
Harrow County #18
Dial H for Hero #1
Dial H for Hero #2
Dial H for Hero #3
-----Oops again-----
The Kill Lock #2

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 02:09:59 PM »

ComiXolgy
New Mutants #8
X-Force #8
X-Men #7

Criminal #12
Ice Cream Man #17
Redneck #25

Rai #3
Roku #4

Outlaw Territory Vol 2

You might notice, Perry, that I skip around too.  No fault with that!

Ice Cream Man #17 - Funny, if not done before, take on Superman. The book is still well done but I’ve grown tired of the book.  I’m going to take a break from this series.

Redneck #25 - I didn’t like this one as much as past issues.  I just rolled my eyes at the origin. One hiccup in 25 issues though so I’ll give it a pass.

Star Trek: Picard #1, 2 & 3 - I enjoyed this for what it is.  Basically the story of how he met his Romulan friends that take care of his vineyard.  Nice compliment to the new show.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »

You might notice, Perry, that I skip around too.  No fault with that!

Oh no, you're right of course, I was just trying an experiment of listing the books in the order that I wanted to read at that time, at the beginning of the week to see if I would still want to read them in that order I originally placed them.

Didn't work  Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »

Couple more and I think I see a pattern. Is it just me? That I can't say, but ... I have to ask, is it just that I am getting tired of the big two stuff again, not all of them of course, I think Suicide Squad is pulling me in hard for example, or has the writing slipped on some of my recent, beloved titles? Again, is it just me?
 Grin

The Kill Lock #2
Kill Lock #3 - add! - Okay, I am in. I gave the first two issues a try, as I said I would, but yeah, once again I am pulled into a book I had no interest in at first  Grin

Ice Cream Man #18 - Another ICM poignant story about a man with Alzheimer's ... Maybe?
His memory is slowly fading over months in a hospital until he finally dies
A good story, really, but like Jeff I feel that ... well ... I don't know ...heck, I do know this, I keep trying to pull away and each month I see the damn title and I say "Okay, this is the last one". It is like crack for me, but I am no-longer getting the kickass buzz.
 Grin
I will try to go to rehab next month.
 Cheesy

Batman #88
Batman #89
- Oh boy. What can I say about this? Look, I love James Tynion, I think he is a fantastic writer and I have loved or enjoyed greatly at the very least, a lot of his stuff. A lot. Including a lot of hos Bat related stuff. This however, man, this is hitting me as really bad. I am not sure if it is me, or if this is truly another title I feel is off.
Catwoman is wrong here
Harley calling Joker "My puddin'"Huh That shit is long over She is in love with Ivy now, yeah?
The entire Penguin stuff is bad
And worse, this plot is bad. Four bad guys did this thing a "long time ago" and it is just now coming to light?  Angry Damn I am sick of that shit.

Is it just me? Maybe?

Redneck #26
--- still no Redneck yet? ---
Ghost Rider #5
Harrow County #16
Harrow County #17
Harrow County #18
Dial H for Hero #1
Dial H for Hero #2
Dial H for Hero #3

Suicide Squad #3 
X-Men #7

X-Men/FF #2
The Kill Lock #1

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS