HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:46:07 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wheel of Time  (Read 2338 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 24, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »

Our first look (peek) at Emond's Field(?) ... maybe.

Yeah, not really amazing, but hey, looks good.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 12:32:24 AM »

Official trailer.  Starts November 19.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 01:04:09 PM »

I would, of course, absolutely love for this to be great. Amazing. Fantastic!

But its nearly 12,000 printed pages of story. Of course there will be stuff cut, and there will be stuff added.

But I have no faith in production companies to make it great. I just don't.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:12:51 PM »

Love the positivity coming from you, Jimbo

Wink Cheesy

But come on my man, it could be good at least. Although giving it more thought I think your strategy is sound, downplay it so if it does turn out to be marginally decent, you end up happily surprised. Yeah, I like the thinking!
 Smiley

Of course, being the uber fan you are, do I expect you to be wow'd? No F'n way  Smiley the odds are just stacked against it (even though I am so very hopeful that it happens for you), but honestly, from what I seen, in an admittedly small sample size, I think they have done a good job of staying true to the material at least. That alone is a bonus. Look what the brilliant guys did with Two Towers? What kind of idiot falls in love with the material so much that they twist it into something so far off from what it is that ... pfttt ... anyway.

But hey buddy, take heart that from that small sample size of stuff we can see. I think, from seeing stills and watching the trailer, it does look pretty tight so far. I am truly psyched for this show.

(Of course I hope that isn't a jinx  Undecided)

In-fact, I hope this is so good it inspires me to re-start book 2 ... or was it book 3 I started but didn't finish yet?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 02:19:18 PM »

Yep, this show makes lots of changes from the book, but the changes don't really change anything in the grand scheme of things. Confused? I bet, I'm typing after all, but while I do see lots of changes from the book in this show, there isn't really anything (other than one major thing) that is overly different. Our characters still get to point "C" when they start at "A", but maybe the things that happen in point "B" is different. Especially with Perrin, there is a HUGE change there that I won't spoil but even though it is a major departure from the book, and I know I am going to piss Jimmy off with this one  Cheesy, it doesn't really change the character that much.

For my slight spoiler reasoning...
As in the book Perrin is not married, what happens is meant to show the animal side of him so what he does essentially shows that while leaving him mentally in about the same manner as the book. Emotionally it is a massive change, but one that gets a point across faster without making the endgame that much different. Now sure, I 100% agree with Jimmy and what he will say, that it does change him due to the mere act itself and he is now something totally different. And not only that, the showrunners could have easily shown his animal side in a way closer to the book than not. I get that and I understand (and agree). But I also know that the books are comprised of tons of hours of reading. No way a show can take that much time to get to the same point, so they improvised. Doing this makes the character more sympathetic faster and also hastens his transformation. I still am not a fan, I don't want you (or Jimmy) to think I agree with their decision, but I do understand the reason behind it. Without saying what that reason is
 Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, there are a lot of changes here, most have to do with time saving more than structure and while yes, I hated what they cut from the dead city, I also find myself looking forward to each new episode.

I like this. Even the "goofy" fantasy side of it. I was worried after the first couple episodes, but after watching the first four, then five and now the latest sixth episode, I am really enjoying this.
If you have always wondered about the book, give it a try. but know it is vastly different than the book, but also very similar. Like most productions
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS