HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:03:02 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, February 12, 2020  (Read 3633 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 12, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »

I didn't get to all of my Marvel Unlimited stuff last week.  Went to an awesome hockey game instead.   Grin

Moved them over to my list for this week.  It's a big list but I'll try to get a lot done on Friday as I'm taking a PTO day because of a wedding I have to go to.  Also going to see Wrath of Kahn on Saturday night and William Shatner will be there with us in the theater.  THAT should be a lot of fun!

Anyway, here is the list:

ComiXolgy
X-Force #7
X-Men #6
Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P. #1
20XX #2
Ascender #8
Psi-Lords #8
Bloodshot #5
Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #2
Undiscovered Country #3
Harrow County Vol. 5: Abandoned (Collects issues 17-21)
Joe Hill's The Cape: 1969 Vol 1  (Collects issues 1-4)

Marvel Unlimited
Venom Annual #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #7
Thanos #4
Star Wars Age of Resistance: Captain Phasma #1
Star Wars: Tie Fighter #4
Doctor Aphra #34
Black Cat #3
Dead Man Logan #10
Immortal Hulk #22
Invisible Woman #2
Old Man Quill #8

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 07:07:27 PM »

The Captain will be there!?! Too cool!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 02:34:48 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Force #7
X-Men #6

20XX #2
Ascender #8
Psi-Lords #8
Bloodshot #5
Undiscovered Country #3

Marvel Unlimited
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34
Black Cat #3
Dead Man Logan #10
Immortal Hulk #22
Invisible Woman #2
Old Man Quill #8

-------------------------------------------------------------------

X-Force #7 - Domino IS X-Force!   Grin  Interesting Domino solo story.  Definitely drew me in with the cliffhanger page.

X-Men #6 - Still the best "X" title.  Each issue is like a little window into different parts of the new world.  This month's focus on Mystique was really good.  How long can this paradise last?  The cracks are already starting.

Batman: Pennyworth R.I.P. #1 - Good tribute to Alfred.  Will be interesting to see how this continues to impact the dynamic of the Bat Family.  And thank goodness I'm not reading Nightwing right now.  "Ric" Grayson?  Really?

20XX #2 - Good issue.  The tension builds as Meria learns more about her new "normal" and she's in for a world of hurt.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »

So last night I was trying to catch up on some Immortal Hulk and when I got to issue #25 ... I just thought WHAT IN THE HELL AM I READING?
Or I should say what was I trying to read?
Man, it may have been because I was tired, it was late, sure, that could be it. Maybe I just was not into a deep read at that moment? That could also be true. Heck, maybe it was all of those factors? That could just as easily be. But man, I felt as dumb as I could possibly feel trying to read that issue

Will give it another go under the light of the sun and see what happens, but confused does not come close to what I was/am feeling.

Any help on that?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »

So last night I was trying to catch up on some Immortal Hulk and when I got to issue #25 ... I just thought WHAT IN THE HELL AM I READING?
Or I should say what was I trying to read?
Man, it may have been because I was tired, it was late, sure, that could be it. Maybe I just was not into a deep read at that moment? That could also be true. Heck, maybe it was all of those factors? That could just as easily be. But man, I felt as dumb as I could possibly feel trying to read that issue

Will give it another go under the light of the sun and see what happens, but confused does not come close to what I was/am feeling.

Any help on that?

I’m only up to issue 22 which is as far as MU is.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 05:52:48 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Force #7
X-Men #6

20XX #2
Ascender #8
Psi-Lords #8
Bloodshot #5
Undiscovered Country #3

Marvel Unlimited
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34
Black Cat #3
Dead Man Logan #10
Immortal Hulk #22
Invisible Woman #2
Old Man Quill #8

Not enough time to talk about each issue but I can say I enjoyed all of the MU comics in my list!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:39 PM »

I’m only up to issue 22 which is as far as MU is.

Darn, I thought MU would be there by now as issue 31 came out this last week or the one prior. Must have skipped and went twice a month on me.
Almost tempted to wait to read the rest until you can catch up, but ... eh ... I will try to figure it out by readiong whats next. haha

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 02:34:31 AM »

ComiXolgy
X-Force #7
X-Men #6

20XX #2
Ascender #8
Psi-Lords #8
Bloodshot #5
Undiscovered Country #3

Marvel Unlimited
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34
Black Cat #3
Dead Man Logan #10
Immortal Hulk #22
Invisible Woman #2
Old Man Quill #8

Ascender #8 - Good story progression.  This is almost Saga-like with the world being soooo different from what it was in Descender.

Psi-Lords #8 - Well that's the end.  For now at least.  I enjoyed the story.  Not sure I will follow the next mini series, whenever it comes out, but I liked this well enough. 

Bloodshot #5 - I like the art in this book.  This new direction for Bloodshot is also pretty interesting.  And the battle in this one is looking pretty cool.

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #2 - LOVE IT!  It's just like Black Hammer used to be.  This is basically the origin of Skeleton Boy and there is quite a bit going on.  Think Punisher with a side kick in Gotham City.  And it's awesome.

Undiscovered Country #3 - Alllll right!!!  Now we're starting to get into it and it's got a topic that I LOVE in comics!  This is turning into one of those that I can't wait for!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »

Psi-Lords #8 - Well that's the end. 

Sales must have been pretty bad. This was suppose to be an ongoing that was going to tie into all the Valiant Universe. I saw an interview with Van Lente way back where he talked about that upcoming in future issues. I didn't enjoy it, but always hate to see a title end before its time

Think Punisher with a side kick in Gotham City. 

Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #1  ... Great beginning, sorta like a ... and no spoiler tag as it was in the previews, but look away if you want to go in completely clean ... "What If Punisher found Bruce right after his parents were shot". Plus the art style fits and that makes me happy. Looks like the Hammer Universe is back baby ... and away from DC!!!!

Yep. Great minds and all  Grin
Of course it isn't a hard line to connect, BUT DON"T RUIN MY JOY!!!
 Grin Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »

Lol Perry!  Maybe your comment stuck in my subconscious.  We can go with that!   Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Force #7
X-Men #6

20XX #2
Ascender #8
Psi-Lords #8
Bloodshot #5
Undiscovered Country #3

Marvel Unlimited
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34
Black Cat #3
Dead Man Logan #10
Immortal Hulk #22
Invisible Woman #2
Old Man Quill #8

Harrow County Vol. 5: Abandoned (Collects issues 17-21) - Just when I was starting to tire of Harrow County, Bam! I get hit with this collection.  Major history is revealed here and it changes everything!  I’m really looking forward to where this is headed now!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »

ComiXolgy
X-Force #7
X-Men #6

20XX #2
Ascender #8
Psi-Lords #8
Bloodshot #5
Undiscovered Country #3

Marvel Unlimited
Venom Annual #1
Thanos #4
Doctor Aphra #34
Black Cat #3
Dead Man Logan #10
Immortal Hulk #22
Invisible Woman #2
Old Man Quill #8

Joe Hill's The Cape: 1969 Vol 1  (Collects issues 1-4) - The origin of the "Cape" and how it got it's power.  Enjoyable.  There is definitely something evil here!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 02:22:41 AM »

ADD:  Harrow County Vol. 6: Hedge Magic (Collects issues 21-24)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Harrow County Vol. 6: Hedge Magic (Collects issues 21-24) - Ok, I couldn't wait and I had the extra time.  Grin
This was good also.  Setting things up for what I imagine will be the final battle.  Vol 5 is still my favorite of the series but this was a pretty good setup for things to come.  My only complaint:
Lovey appearing at the end to stop the girls from fighting was too convenient.  The conflict had really built up and then poof - everything's fine.
  But even with that, the Vol as a whole I found compelling.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »

Okay, Jeff, okay. I will try and get to some more Harrow County.
 Grin Grin Grin
Darn it. Making it sound all good and all!!

Not a lot this week, and probably not a lot of new stuff next week either as Jeff has just twisted my darn arm into reading more Harrow  Wink Grin, but I will try

Smiley

Star Trek Year Five Valentines Day Special - Don't know why I got this, guess I was missing Trek and felt ...lovey dovey  Cheesy An okay story about Kirk and one of his MANY women!  Grin

Dr. Strange Surgeon Supreme #1
Dr. Strange Surgeon Supreme #2
Dr. Strange Surgeon Supreme #3
- Kev Walker's art is great for this title. Really good start all around.
Immortal Hulk #24
Immortal Hulk #25
- HOLY HELL. So confusing!! I was tried, sure, but I just skipped this and gonna try again later!
Immortal Hulk #26
Immortal Hulk #27
Immortal Hulk #28
- But then again, maybe not, I think I am fine going from #26 on  Grin
Savage Avengers #8 - Can't explain it, but I both chocked and happy this is still a thing!
Spirits of Ghost Rider: Mother of Demons #1 - A pretty cool story featuring Lilith. We also get to see a new "Spirit of ..." character by way of someone being turned. That is kinda cool and I hope to see more, somehow, I just hope they don't over do it and have 30 different versions.

EDIT - Oops ... forgot
X-Men/FF #1 - Sort of continues from Hickman's issue one of X-Men. Discussing if Franklin will go with the mutants or stay with the family
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:14:11 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS