HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:05:30 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Locke & Key  (Read 5468 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 07, 2020, 10:09:14 PM »

Dropped on Netflix today and I watched the first episode.  I liked it.  Like all of these shows, there are some changes from the comic book.  But it's still true to the spirit of the comic.  Going to need a couple of more episodes under the belt before I have a true sense of how I feel.  I wasn't "blown away" but I still liked it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »

I am not a fan of the casting, only because I liked the original cast from the failed pilot better. I do like Kinsey's actor better here and Boyd is okay, but the mom and Tyler, while good, are just not the same for me.

Also, it is starting to go a little too much CW style at times, but I hope they go away from that soon. There is just a little too much drama in the drama. Again, I can't explain it. On episode 6 now and ... I am 50/50 on the show so far.  Angry

There is so much good here, yet also bad. It is such a different flow from the comic that well, it just kinda sucks while being good? I don't know
 Undecided Undecided Angry

Like, for example ... spoilers for up to episode ... 3 ...I think it ...  I think it is pretty safe by that point, but you may wait until episode 4 for sure. I think most of this happened in episode 2, but maybe 3 ... maybe 4?
 Grin Grin Grin
I don't like the way they did the head key and I hate that "echo" got out of the well so damn fast, plus, hell, more things that irritate me.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »

Just finished this and while it takes some liberties, it does a good job of being true to the comic.

A couple of keys are obviously missing, like the
become a giant
key to name one, but yeah, it was a good series because it not only held true but it got better, mostly, as time went on.

If it gets a season two, and it should, the wife and I will be there for it. She really enjoyed it. So weird/cool to know the wife is enjoying my comics when she doesn't read them.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »

I'm avoiding your spoilers at the moment as I haven't picked back up since episode 1.  The family had a full week of Picard and Lost in Space to watch.   Cheesy

I should be able to pick back up in the mornings this week and come back to this topic soon.  I'm not excited to read that it started to go CW on us.  But thanks for the heads up.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »

I'm avoiding your spoilers at the moment as I haven't picked back up since episode 1 

I hear ya. And I just noticed I called the younger son Boyd when it is Bode.
And watching Kinsey, or the actress ... sorry ... actor that played her ... bugged the heck out of for many episodes as she reminded me so much of an older actor ... no ... actress that the wife and I used to watch and I just couldn't grasp her it was she reminded me of. It was driving me crazy. Then on episode 9 I finally got it. The girl that played one of the new doctors on Scrubs last season or two. I didn't notice it at first, not until ... something happens  Grin but then BAM!!! And as soon as I said it, as soon as it FINALLY hit me, the wife's jaw dropped and we decided it must be her younger sister or a niece. Not according to IMDB, but damn she looks very much like here

I should be able to pick back up in the mornings this week and come back to this topic soon.  I'm not excited to read that it started to go CW on us.  But thanks for the heads up.

Well the good news is doesn't quite hit that CW point. That fear was there and it got close, but it didn't cross the line  Cheesy Cheesy
Luckily, it didn't even get as close as Netflix's own Sabrina the Teenage Witch and that show gets really F'n close. Oh sure fighting demons and boy problems go hand in hand Angry Angry
 Grin

I did have one problem with one thing in the last episodes writing, or directors decision maybe, that I will save for when you are done. It just one of those "oh come on! Why do that when you should do this" moments
 Wink
(Well, there are two issues actually, but it involves the same thing)
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:30:56 PM »

Finished episodes 2, 3, & 4 today.  LOVE the Head Key.  I see where it could be headed CWish.  And yeah, thankfully hasn't gone full CW.  I wanted to keep going but I had to go to work.  Work get's in the way far too much!   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 08:55:18 PM »

Work get's in the way far too much!   Grin

I hear ya!
That is why I stopped doing it
 Cheesy

(Oh how I miss it)
 Undecided Cry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:32:01 PM »

Finished episodes 5, 6, & 7.  Man this is moving fast!  Are they pulling things from future arcs?  I can't remember if all of this happened in the first Locke & Key arc.  Just hoping they don't run out of source material if this gets a lot more seasons.  In any case - LOVE this show!

The return of Sam was done well.  Definitely pulled me in and just like the comic, the back story made me feel for him while hating him at the same time.

I'll probably be watching the rest of this when I get home tonight.  Fortunately, I took tomorrow off of work so staying up late tonight won't hurt!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »

So you had mentioned that you and Hannah are watching Lost in Space, are you both not watching this? I know it is "TV14" so not sure if that is the reason or if she had no desire to see this. Just curious if it was her saying no or you.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »

So you had mentioned that you and Hannah are watching Lost in Space, are you both not watching this? I know it is "TV14" so not sure if that is the reason or if she had no desire to see this. Just curious if it was her saying no or you.
 Cheesy

I finished it last night and loved it!

I wanted to pre-screen this before letting her watch it.  I do that quite a bit just to make sure.  The episode towards the end where the shadows attack the house might be too scary for her (she’s prone to nightmares) but the rest of the shows are right up her alley.  I’m planning on rewatching this with her and will just make sure it’s daylight at that episode or just fast forward through the scary part.

But it is a great show!  And just the kind of thing she will love.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »

I finished it last night and loved it!

Yeah, they did a pretty damn good job of it didn't they? The ending, which was pretty well done other than the two things I had issues with, was different than the book but left a great opening for season two.

I will say, now that you have finished, that the two things that kinda made me mad as a viewer (and they are related to the same thing) are:
1- The amount of time that Dodge (Ellie in reality) was "out" due to that punch from Lucas/Dodge/Gabe. They really needed to show Lucas/Dodge/Gabe drugging her,  using a spell or hell, even using a "key" to make her be asleep that long. I hate when shows stretch that punch shit out like that. I've seen people knocked out cold, I've knocked out someone and have been knocked out a couple times myself and I have never seen someone be "KOed" for anywhere close to that amount of time.

Yes, I have never seen one person be three different people either and this is a fictional piece but come on...  Cheesy Is it really that hard to do things like that the way they would be in reality? No
 Angry

2- Where the kids placed the knocked out Ellie. "Hey, we are in a time crunch here from the possibility of being drowned and this evil gal (or so they believe) could awaken at anytime, lets put the body a good ten yards away from the door we are trying to throw her in"
 Angry Angry Angry Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Also, while I am still mad that FOX killed the shows after the pilot as I liked that cast better (although I get to see the woman that was suppose to be Nina Locke in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina now), I am glad it wasn't on network. And while I am really, really saddened by the fact that Hulu also passed on the pilot as they were going to make it more of a horror based show and they had the director of the IT movies as show runner ... or director (or something), Netflix did make a pretty darn good showing of it!!!

Looking forward to season 2

I wanted to pre-screen this before letting her watch it.  I do that quite a bit just to make sure.  

Absolutely smart my man!!

The episode towards the end where the shadows attack the house might be too scary for her (she’s prone to nightmares) but the rest of the shows are right up her alley.

I know how that can be. My brother had issues with nightmares a lot also. Well into his teens. I am glad you guys are going to get a chance to see it together !!

I’m planning on rewatching this with her and will just make sure it’s daylight at that episode or just fast forward through the scary part.

And also a very smart idea! Yep, yep!! Let the daylight and time ease the chances of nightmares away!!!
 Cool
You might be pretty good at this parenting stuff, buddy
 Wink

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 08:07:05 PM »

Just watched Season 1, episode 1 last night. Very intrigued.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 03:05:44 PM »

We started Season 2 last week.  Not sure it’s going to be as good as the first season but we’re only one episode in.

The first season is really good Rodney. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »

Started episode one and got about 10 minutes in before the wife and I had to bail. Not sure we will get to this or not. Still mad they turned this into a 'teen thing' instead of the fantasy horror it was meant to be.

I was really feeling a little "meh" after the last half of season one, but had forgotten how I felt until starting this and getting hit with that 'High School Drama" feeling right out of the gate. Netflix doing CW. I may try it as a "with lunch" show, but I don't think I can watch as a "after dinner" show.

Yeah, I know, I know...
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »

Started episode one and got about 10 minutes in before the wife and I had to bail. Not sure we will get to this or not. Still mad they turned this into a 'teen thing' instead of the fantasy horror it was meant to be.

I was really feeling a little "meh" after the last half of season one, but had forgotten how I felt until starting this and getting hit with that 'High School Drama" feeling right out of the gate. Netflix doing CW. I may try it as a "with lunch" show, but I don't think I can watch as a "after dinner" show.

Yeah, I know, I know...
 Grin

I can understand that.  Fortunately for me it’s a good show to watch with the teenage daughter.   Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS