HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:00:34 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 29, 2020  (Read 8182 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »

Maybe it is the thing that Jimmy and I were recently talking about when you try to read or watch too much of one thing without exposing yourself to other stuff ... the thing you are trying to get through becomes somewhat tedious, ya know. Maybe all I need is a break for an issue or two to rekindle the fire? Going to try that before I read another issue of Harrow County.
 Undecided

This could be true.  I ran into a similar thing when I was plowing through all of those Transmetropolitan issues.  I switched to reading 6 issues a week of Trans and 6 issues of different things.  It helped a lot.

I haven't got to vol 2 and 3 yet but expect to before Wednesday.  Of course, in between Vol 1 and now I have read a lot of other comics so fingers crossed I have a different experience.  You've passed me as of today since I've only read the first Vol.  I'll let you know what I think after I read them this week.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 01:30:43 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019
Harrow County Vol. 2 (Collects issues 5-8)
Harrow County Vol. 3 (Collects issues 9-12)

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts #5
Age of X-Man: Omega #1
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

War of the Realms Omega #1
Thor #15
Venom #16

Spider-Man: Life Story #5
Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

-----------------------------------------

Harrow County Vol. 2 (Collects issues 5-8) - Decided to go ahead and read this volume so I can have a break between Vol 2 & Vol 3 based on our conversation about binging.  I liked this volume with Emmy and her Sister.  This creepy world is starting to grow on me.  Not sure if that can sustain but I guess that will depend on where we go from here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:02:08 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 05:39:19 PM »

Not sure if you wanted us to read you last comment about Harrow County or not, Jeff, with it being all scratched out
 Tongue

Grin

Harrow County Vol. 2 (Collects issues 5-8) - Decided to go ahead and read this volume so I can have a break between Vol 2 & Vol 3 based on our conversation about binging.  I liked this volume with Emmy and her Sister.  This creepy world is starting to grow on me.  Not sure if that can sustain but I guess that will depend on where we go from here.

Oh yeah, I did really enjoy the first part ... what would be the first trade  ... as well as most of what would be in the second trade, and again, I hope it was just me needing a break. But hell, maybe you won't hit a wall at all, especially if you do take that break. At least I hope you don't
 Cool

And getting to the doctors early really helps my reading time
 Cheesy
Was able to knock out a good chunk this morning -

Family Tree #3 - Not as ... interesting as the first two, but a needed issue.
Frankenstein: Undone #1 - Never read any of Magnola's Franky so thought I would try. I like it.
Roku #2
Roku #3
Roku #4
- Enjoyed everything but the uninspiring art. Is this Zenoscope? (the Hollywood happy ending also bugged me)
Picard: Countdown #1
Picard: Countdown #2
Picard: Countdown #3
- Was kinda lied to. Thought this prequel would be about the Mars attack, not Picard's helpers
Something is Killing the Children #1
Something is Killing the Children #2
Something is Killing the Children #3
Something is Killing the Children #4
Something is Killing the Children #5
- Rough start, a little chaotic, and almost gave up on it due to that, but man am I glad I stuck with this James Tynion penned title. The art work, where the "monster" is concerned, is a little too hard to see, way to muddy, but also works in an odd way to add tension I guess. But yeah, if you ever jump on this title for a "try and see", I warn you now, it takes two issues to get ya, but once it does ... yeah. Me likey this. Mad I don't have another issue yet!!! Hurry guys!!!

EDIT - I forgot one -
Ice Cream Man #17 - as I posted on the Polo *AHEM* JEFF *Ahem*  Grin, this was a pretty cool book. I have to go and do a little research, see what others think, because I know this is saying something, I am just too stupid to pick up on what that is.  Cheesy It is either praising the heroes in cape titles, knocking those caped titles, knocking the people that love those caped titles, knocking those that knock those caped titles, knocking some of the creators and/or writers that work on those caped titles, knocking some of the creators and/or writers that knocked on those caped titles while working on them or ... or none of that.
 Cheesy

Red Mother #1
East of West #45
Harrow County #1
Harrow County #2
Harrow County #3
Harrow County #4
Harrow County #5
Harrow County #6
Harrow County #7
Harrow County #8
Harrow County #9

Harrow County #10
Harrow County #11
Harrow County #12
Harrow County #13

Batman #87
Detective Comics #1019

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

Wow, this might be my biggest week yet!!
 Cheesy
Look at me, going all Jeff on this week's ass!!!
 Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:47:48 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »

Not sure if you wanted us to read you last comment about Harrow County or not, Jeff, with it being all scratched out
 Tongue

Dadgummit!!!!  Ok - Fixed now.   Embarrassed

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2020, 12:47:19 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

Thor #15
Venom #16

Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

Detective Annual #3 - Nice focus on Alfred and his past.  I enjoyed this book.

Justice League Dark #19 - A good wrap up to this arc and a good place for me to step off the train.  I'm just tired of reading these characters.  If they dropped Man-Bat, Constantine, and Wonder Woman I might get more interested but for now I'm going to take a break.

Action Comics #1019 - I'm done with this too.  Bendis story is probably ok but I can't look at this JRJR art on Superman.  It just doesn't work for me.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2020, 01:41:22 AM »

JR Jr just shouldn't be on comics anymore. Being I was one of the biggest apologists for him for the longest time, I feel I speak with a Bullshit Pretend Authority that he is done now.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 02:12:54 AM »

JR Jr just shouldn't be on comics anymore. Being I was one of the biggest apologists for him for the longest time, I feel I speak with a Bullshit Pretend Authority that he is done now.

Sadly I agree with you.  I used to like him on Kick Ass, but his last outing on Hit Girl was horrible.  I'm afraid he's lost his mojo.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 02:14:57 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

Thor #15
Venom #16

Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

Harrow County Vol. 3: Snake Doctor (Collects issues 9-12) - Really really like this one.  This snake doctor is probably my favorite one so far.  And the cliffhanger ending has me wanting to start the next Volume right now!! 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »

Enjoyed the snake doctor story, the other two, especially with the quest artist ... nahhhh
 Undecided

EDIT - had to go look, yeah the snake stuff happens in issues 10 and 11, good stuff. But issue #12? No dude. No.
Then, when I got to #13 (and even though it wasn't as bad for me as the one prior), it didn't return me to the glory of the last 11 issues, I knew it was time for a break. I look forward to issue #14, and maybe re-reading issue #13 as I think it ties together, but no idea when I will dive back in.
 Undecided

That said, if you enjoyed that last issue in that vol 3, that issue #12, we can just chalk that up to differences of opinion
 Cool
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:59:29 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »

Justice League Dark #19 - A good wrap up to this arc and a good place for me to step off the train.  I'm just tired of reading these characters.  If they dropped Man-Bat, Constantine, and Wonder Woman I might get more interested but for now I'm going to take a break.

I forgot to talk about this after you posted the above, but I know there is a new writer with issue #20 (Ram V.) so now could either be a great time to jump ship or a bad one
 Grin
I would also be done with this title if not for the new writer. It just ... well yeah ... and I don't blame you at all.

I hear this new guy is a pretty good writer. A British guy, it seems, and I personally have a good record with writers from across the pond  Cheesy, so I am on for two more issues.
I will let ya know!
 Cool

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2020, 09:40:14 PM »

I hear this new guy is a pretty good writer. A British guy, it seems, and I personally have a good record with writers from across the pond  Cheesy, so I am on for two more issues.
I will let ya know!
 Cool

Please do - the good news is - I can always pick them up later!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2020, 12:23:05 AM »

EDIT - had to go look, yeah the snake stuff happens in issues 10 and 11, good stuff. But issue #12? No dude. No.

You didn't like the house being a haint?  I can understand hating the change in art - it was terrible.  But the story itself was good.  I hope that artist was a one shot.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »

You didn't like the house being a haint?  I can understand hating the change in art - it was terrible.  But the story itself was good.  I hope that artist was a one shot.

Yeah, that art totally killed any and all enjoyment for me.  Angry It was so bad it even ruined my enjoyment of the next issue  Angry Angry
Another reason I want to re-read issue 13 when I jump back in this week ... or maybe next. It depends on when my artistic taste buds return  Grin Grin

I do think I needed a break anyway, again, for me, reading that many issues in a row in that time frame is not the norm  Grin so I know I needed a break, but that art hit me right when I was thinking of that and it pushed it even harder.
Man that sucked.

And yes, issue #13 is a return to normal art, so it was only a one shot. Thanks God!!!

I do hate to condemn art, it is all subjective, and I'm sure the artist is a fine human being  Smiley, but I damn sure hope the next fill-in artist will be different.  Undecided

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS