HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 04:20:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 29, 2020  (Read 8179 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 29, 2020, 12:49:59 AM »

Seems a little lite.  But we all know it's really not!

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019
Harrow County Vol. 2 (Collects issues 5-8)
Harrow County Vol. 3 (Collects issues 9-12)

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts #5
Age of X-Man: Omega #1
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10
War of the Realms Omega #1
Thor #15
Venom #16
Spider-Man: Life Story #5
Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:04 AM »

Seems a little lite.  But we all know it's really not!

That's what she said

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 02:08:12 AM »

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »

How did you post nothing?
 Shocked

Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 06:09:00 PM »

Yes Hickman's X men work starts! Time to get caught up fast!

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:16:15 PM »

Excalibur #5 and #6
Young Justice #12
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »

I can't really remember what books I read before Wednesday and the ones over the last two'ish days, and as you will see its not like I read a lot of books so I should be able to  Cheesy but ... yeah ... anyway just posting here.

Red Mother #1 - Heard lots of good about this. Had to try it. Interested enough to try one more issue
East of West #45 - A very nice ending that wel
l, ended where it started. The Four are gone once again, but they will not be gone forever and a new treaty is signed ... again.  Smiley
I am still in awe of the art and I will be getting Dragotta's next project. No Doubt

Batman #87 - I can usually give or take G. March's art, but man this was sweet looking!!!
Detective Comics #1019 - Ya know ... A pretty decent "holiday" two-parter.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - Al Ewing opens up with a story that I can tell will be grand in scope. It may even tie in with his upcoming next "Marvel Major Event" (starring the Avengers and the FF) called Empyre, but if not, I look forward to what he will do here.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 04:05:16 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

Thor #15
Venom #16
Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

-----------------------------------------

Age of X-Man: Apocalypse & the X-Tracts #5 - Nice ending for this mini.  It all leads to the Omega issue.

Age of X-Man: Omega #1 - Actually a little disappointed in how this wrapped it.  I mean it was all tied into a bow like you would expect but it left me unsatisfied.  Mainly because the character interactions and new bonds made are essentially gone.  I liked the Betsy/Blob interactions but now it means nothing.  And I think it would have been that way even if Hickman hadn't rebooted the whole X-Men line. 

Uncanny X-Men #22 - Another wrap up for a series as the missing X-Men from Age of X-Man are brought back to be with the main group.  And yeah, all of the deaths are meaningless since this all got reboot after this issue.  But I still liked the story from this run on Uncanny.

X-Force #10 - Oh thank gawd this horrible book is over.  This writer was terrible.  The plot makes no sense and Baby Cable's whole speech about not changing the timeline makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE SINCE HE KILLED REAL CABLE IN EXTINCTION,  BASICALLY CHANGING THE TIMELINE FROM THE GET GO!  And everyone bought that speech?  Ugh.  Utter garbage.  And the horrible art only made it worse.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 12:28:27 PM »

X-Force #10 - Oh thank gawd this horrible book is over. 

I know you've loved every bit of it
 Cheesy
I stopped after #3 or #4, but I didn't mind the art as much as you, although I get it, boy do I  Smiley
I was more trying to stay on for Deathlok anyway but the story was ... well ... you know
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 02:30:38 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

Thor #15
Venom #16

Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

War of the Realms Omega #1 - Ah..basically the setup for Valkyrie #1, Loki #1, and Punisher #1.  None of which I plan to read.

Thor #15 - So THIS is the actual wrap up to the War of Realms.  And a nice wrap up it was.  All Hail King Thor!

Venom #16 - Finally back to the regular story.  The War of Realms crossover really killed the momentum here.  Sadly, it looks like it's going to get caught up in the Carnage event.  Sigh.  I hate it when good titles get sucked into crossovers and lost their greatness.

Spider-Man: Life Story #5 - 2006 and Peter is in his 40's.  And it's Civil War time for the Marvel heroes.  I enjoyed this story and I like seeing the hero's age....but Bagley drew them looking older than their 40's.  I mean, I'm 52 and I look younger than these guys!  Hopefully, the don't look 90 in the next issue!   Cheesy Cheesy

Black Cat #2 - Only Felicia would dare to rob from Dr. Strange!  And a strange tale it is.  Thumbs up.

Invisible Woman #1 - SOLD!  First issue sets up what looks to be a great spy story.  And with next issues guest thrown in the mix I'm giddy with excitement.  Bonus:  this is some great art!

Invaders #7 - Awesome.  A really good issue.  I like this new arc and where it's going.  That last page with Namor - Wow!

Immortal Hulk #21 - Holy cow!  What a great issue!  And that last page...soooo creepy!!!  Going to be one heck of a battle coming up!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 03:53:41 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

Thor #15
Venom #16

Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

Fallen Angels #6 - Decent ending for this story.  I think Perry said this is just a mini which would make this the last issue.  If so, I'm glad.  I enjoyed this but don't think I need to see more of this group together.  Would love to see a lot of mini's like this if that is Hickman's plan.

X-Men #5 - OH YEAH.  Hickman trippy science cubed.  I like it.  I just hope we don't have to wait 500 years to find out what happened to those three!

New Mutants #6 - Even though I liked going through this story with these characters, I didn't like what they did to Beak and his family at the end.  Doesn't feel right in this new world.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 10:12:43 PM »

Up all night with my legs, so got some reading of the "next series" in during that time.
Tired as hell now, but it was almost worth it
 Grin

Harrow County #1
Harrow County #2
Harrow County #3
Harrow County #4
Harrow County #5
Harrow County #6
Harrow County #7
Harrow County #8
Harrow County #9
- First off, hats off to Tyler Crook. Dude is penciling, inking, coloring and lettering this book ... although they may not be "true" inking in this title, that is still a great amount of work. And it really works. From the way he uses the color of light coming in between branches to the "muck" of everything to the words spelled out in the opening two page splash that opens each issue there is some good stuff here. Not a huge fan of the dotted eye ball thing, but at least in close ups it is not there. It doesn't bother me that much anyway and works well enough with the water color style here.
The writing is fine, though I see this already going away from a "horror" title, regardless of what all the authors on the cover proclaim and going in more of a dark fantasy style, especially after issue #6 or so, but it is still well done.
Also love the little one to three page short stories, both comic and prose, that are found in the back.
Yeah, decent stuff and I fell well worth my time for the ... almost 30(?) issue run

Red Mother #1
East of West #45

Batman #87
Detective Comics #1019

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #6
New Mutants #6
X-Force #6
X-Men #5
Detective Annual #3
Justice League Dark #19
Action Comics #1019

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #22
X-Force #10

Thor #15
Venom #16

Black Cat #2
Invisible Woman #1
Invaders #7
Immortal Hulk #21

X-Force #6 - Hmmmm. Not sure I like the change in Beast.  But an interesting issue nonetheless.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »

Gotta run, but I’ll be back tomorrow to comment on Perry’s delve into Harrow County.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »

Embarrassed
Did I just jinx myself? What started out so strong for me with the first 12 issues has kinda taken a slide into mediocrity over the last couple of issues. The guest artist in issue #12 didn't help matters, but on the whole, the last 3 issues has been a chore for me to get through. Maybe it is the thing that Jimmy and I were recently talking about when you try to read or watch too much of one thing without exposing yourself to other stuff ... the thing you are trying to get through becomes somewhat tedious, ya know. Maybe all I need is a break for an issue or two to rekindle the fire? Going to try that before I read another issue of Harrow County.
 Undecided

Harrow County #10
Harrow County #11
Harrow County #12
Harrow County #13
- This last issue was a little better than the last two, so yeah, I think I just need a break

Red Mother #1
East of West #45
Harrow County #1
Harrow County #2
Harrow County #3
Harrow County #4
Harrow County #5
Harrow County #6
Harrow County #7
Harrow County #8
Harrow County #9

Batman #87
Detective Comics #1019

Guardians of the Galaxy #1

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS