HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:25:51 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jeff Lemire Newsletter Tidbit  (Read 2128 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 22, 2020, 01:53:59 AM »

I got Jeff Lemire's Newsletter today and here is an answer to one of his reader's questions that I found cool.

"Hi Jeff.  Great to meet you in Baltimore.
My question is:  what comics inspired you as a kid to create the stories you are writing today?  What comics did you really like growing up?
Thanks!
Mike

Great meeting you too, Mike. I love Baltimore Con! Different books and stories inspired me at different points of my life. When I was really young and first falling in love with comics is was Wolfman and Perez's Teen Titans and Crisis that hit me the hardest. I also loved everything Giffen was doing in the late 80's early 90's from his JLU run with Demattais to his Legion stuff. And certainly all of Frank Millers' Batman stuff hit when I was very impressionable. Dark Knight and Year One were revelations and the influence of Miller's visual storytelling style on me cannot be overstated. I also REALLY loved Tim Truman. His Hawkworld and Scout series were absolute favourites.

When I first started drawing comics of my own, it was Miller and Truman's style of laying out pages and telling stories that I was aping the most. You can still see a lot of Truman in Sweet Tooth, I think. "

No wonder I love this writer so much!  Those are EXACTLY the things that hit me the most as a kid!!!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 11:28:53 AM »

I loved what he said about his earlier stuff being republished.  Grin Gotta love a guy that knows he has grown as a writer. He was cool about it, wasn't like he said "Hell no, I never want that stuff to be shown"  Grin, but more of a pleasant ... "meh ... let's not" tone.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 05:15:47 PM »

That's cool to know; great to have a writer you vibe with.

Used to be Johns for, Peter David. I mean, I love Hickman work, but not in the same way I loved the other two?

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS