HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:32:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 15, 2020  (Read 7164 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: January 15, 2020, 01:59:56 PM »

Little lighter week as I’m going out of town with friends this weekend.

ComiXolgy
Freedom Fighters #12 - Final Issue!
Legion of Super-Heroes #3
Chrononauts: Futureshock #1
Chrononauts: Futureshock #2
Chrononauts: Futureshock #3
Chrononauts: Futureshock #4
Plutona Vol 1 (Collects Plutona 1-5)
Bloodshot #4
Visitor #1
Roku  #3
Family Tree #2

Marvel Unlimited
Fantastic Four: The Prodigal Sun #1
Silver Surfer: Black #1
Doctor Strange #14
Doctor Strange #15
Immortal Hulk #18
Immortal Hulk #19
Immortal Hulk #20
Incredible Hulk: Last Call #1
Thanos #2
Thanos #3
Guardians Of The Galaxy Annual #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #6

————————————————————————-

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:24:17 PM »

Little lighter week as I’m going out of town with friends this weekend.

Yeah, 22 comics AND a trade ... haha, "lighter week"  Cheesy You kill me broham. Oh how I wish I could do that much on a good week for me.  Smiley

*jealous grin appears*
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »

East of West 30-33; got to stay up on Perry!!

I don't remember any plot. I remember characters. Let it ride on out!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »

East of West 30-33; got to stay up on Perry!!

Just WITH me sir, WITH me  Grin

(East of West) I don't remember any plot. I remember characters. Let it ride on out!!

Basically it's revelations; featuring the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, minus Death who has ... where you are jumping back in ... just found his missing son who was taken from him and raised for the sole purpose of becoming "The Beast", the one that brings forth said Apocalypse. All of this surrounded by these "7 nations" who are in the midst of a civil war while in cahoots with and against each other at the same time working against and for the same goal during this entire process.

Ya know, easy, typical stuff  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 03:26:28 AM »

ComiXolgy

Bloodshot #4
Visitor #1
Roku  #3
Family Tree #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #14
Doctor Strange #15
Immortal Hulk #18
Immortal Hulk #19
Immortal Hulk #20
Thanos #2
Thanos #3

Freedom Fighters #12 - Final Issue!  And it was a good one.  Glad to see how it all wrapped up and looking forward to what I hope is a second series with this team.

Legion of Super-Heroes #3 - I'll stick around for next months origin of the Legion of Super-Heroes but no promises after that.  This just isn't good.

Bloodshot #4 - Fun issue as Bloodshot moves into the next chapter of his life.  Plus - werewolves(?)!!

Visitor #1 - Not sure what I think yet.  Not a bad first issue and my interest is perked but not wowed.

Roku  #3 - Enjoying this.  Next issue is the last one of this mini and it all comes to a head.  Good battles in this Medusa-like assassin thriller.

Family Tree #2 - Where does Lemire come up with this stuff?  So weird and soooo good.  Another ending that makes you go What the..? ? ? ? ? ?

Fantastic Four: The Prodigal Sun #1 - That was cute..and enjoyable.  I believe I'll pick up the next part "Silver Surfer: The Prodigal Sun".  Definitely fun getting to read a FF story again.  Not to mention...Peter David!

Silver Surfer: Black #1 - Not a big fan of the art but if I can get past it, this is and interesting story spinning out of Guardians of the Galaxy.  Donny Cates + Silver Surfer = Greatness!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:29:21 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 11:02:19 AM »

Silver Surfer: Black #1 - Not a big fan of the art but if I can get past it ...

Had a feeling it wouldn't hit great for you and I get it. It is an odd look that (warning!!) only gets more intense as the book goes on, but I absolutely loved it. Especially with the space/cosmic side of Marvel, it was such a great combination and so damn beautiful for me, man ... yeah, thought it was amazing. As you get closer to ... the main conflict ... the art bleeds even more and almost had me running to look for my old black light as some of the pages looked like crazy 1970's poster art.  Cheesy Hell, the entire thing looks like it was taken straight from a lava lamp.  Wink And while it does start that way, all fluid and oozing, it does get a lot stronger (yet so damn cool looking) so just be ready.  Grin

But yes, it is very stylized ... very ... so I 100% understand why it isn't for everyone.

As for this week ...

Detective Comics #118 Hows about a Nordic Christmas?  Grin

East of West #30
East of West #31
East of West #32
East of West #33
- And the wicked witch from the North burned!!! YAY!!!.
I was just too tired last night to get into the next issue, but I did start it and I saw one of the splash pages that I had mentioned that I fell in love with, would love to own, right at the beginning. Need to go back and compare it to the first time I saw it, to see if it is a different angle or just a reprinting of the same page, but either way I love that page. Not because of boobies  Cheesy but the way it is presented. Looks so bad-ass with her replaced, armored (?) hands holding her blades, her hair barely covering her ... womanhood and the one assassin guy, arm-less, on his knees beside her, his arm in the forefront, while another assassin, who is luckily mostly off panel because he is probably crapping his pants  Grin, stands there, in shadow. It is just so damn cool looking!! I wonder how much that page went for if it sold?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:51 AM »

Well crap, East of West vol 10 ain't published yet!!

Wait, is the series over even?

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 05:58:31 AM »

Well crap, East of West vol 10 ain't published yet!!

Wait, is the series over even?

Yep.  Just ended this month.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »

OoOoOOOOo...

Well, I read my East of West 33-37 last night. Onwards and upwards!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »

OoOoOOOOo...

But what did you think? Any good parts ... without spoiling, maybe, please?  Cheesy

Or I will get there and then we can talk about it, probably better
 Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »

OoOoOOOOo...

But what did you think? Any good parts ... without spoiling, maybe, please?  Cheesy

Or I will get there and then we can talk about it, probably better
 Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, exactly that!

But are you buying up the last issues individually, or waiting for the trade price? Me? I don't know!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »

But are you buying up the last issues individually, or waiting for the trade price? Me? I don't know!

Oh yeah, I started with the print issues but have been in the digital for a few now and already have the rest of the series in that form. Heck, you can buy the last few issues for only $1.99 ($4 for the last, double sized issue).
Vol 9 only had four issues (39, 40, 41 and 42) and it is currently $11, so you can actually get those individual issues for cheaper than you can the trade. Which is both odd and more enjoyable for me as I like ... I prefer only loading up issues on the tablet when I can. Not sure why, but I think it is because I don't read a ton in a week and being able to finish an issue, and say I knocked it out, is easier for me than reading four or five issues to say I knocked that volume out
 Grin
It doesn't matter to Jeff as he knocks out so much in the first place, but if he had to list all the individual issues he read in a week it would look even worse for me.
 Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Not to say I won't buy and read a trade when it is cheaper, but I will pay a tad extra for the issues by themselves usually.
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 12:08:17 AM »

Yep.  I do the math and grab whichever is cheaper.  But I do like the individual issues better on most things.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 11:20:53 AM »

Knocked out a few over this cold and windy weekend (well, Beach cold, not Great Lakes cold  Cheesy)

Conan the Barbarian #10
Conan the Barbarian #11
- While issue 10 was fine, I enjoyed issue 11's dream like story a lot!

Freedom Fighters #12 - Now that is what I call an adjustable bed!! Like that this showed strong Uncle Sam!!
Question Deaths of Vic Sage #2 - A decent western based story which brings us to ... was it the 40's? I think

Five Years #7 - Liked this issue better than the last few and man, Terry Moore ... just amazing stuff art wise
Rai #2
Rai #3
- I think I was just not in the mood. After totally digging issue 1, these kinda ... eh. Still, just me I think
Skulldigger/Skeleton Boy #2 - And the villain arises. Or drops Grin This is much better than that JLA thing
East of West #34
East of West #35
East of West #36
East of West #37
- Uh-Oh! Mad Cowboy on the loose!!!!  Cheesy Ya would think that this book was written by a guy from South Carolina that enjoyed westerns! Both are heavily featured in ... prominent roles. And with he North getting all ... fired up recently ...
 Grin

Detective Comics #118

East of West #30
East of West #31
East of West #32
East of West #33

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 03:55:45 AM »

ComiXolgy

Bloodshot #4
Visitor #1
Roku  #3
Family Tree #2

Marvel Unlimited
Doctor Strange #14
Doctor Strange #15
Immortal Hulk #18
Immortal Hulk #19
Immortal Hulk #20

Thanos #2
Thanos #3

Doctor Strange #14 & 15 - Galactus, Dormamu, & Mephisto?  Oh yeah!  The fun keeps on coming!

Immortal Hulk #18, 19, & 20 - Loved this arc!  Putting the creep in creepy and keeping me on my toes. I never know what’s coming next.  Already salivating over what the next issue will bring based on the events here!

Incredible Hulk: Last Call #1 - two Peter David reads in one week! Sweet!  And this one shot was good.  Nice trip down memory lane for Mr. Banner and a nice history lesson for us readers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:11:30 AM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS