HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:46:48 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, January 8, 2020  (Read 10372 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #5
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5
Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #1
Batman #86
20XX #1

Die #10
Doctor Mirage #5
Gideon Falls #19
Rai #2
Psi-Lords #7
Undiscovered Country #2
The Boys Vol 10: Butcher Baker Candlestickmaker
The Boys Vol 11: Over the Hill with Swords of a Thousand Men
The Boys Vol 12: The Bloody Doors Off

Marvel Unlimited
Age of X-Man: Prisoner X #5
Uncanny X-Men #21

Dead Man Logan #9
Invaders #6
War of the Realms #6

Thor #13
Thor #14
Venom #14
Venom #15
Spider-Man: Life Story #4
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #8
Black Cat #1

———————————————————————————

Thor #14 - Nice tie-in to War of Realms #6.  Gives you a little extra with the 4 Thors.  Thumbs up.

The Boys Vol 10: Butcher Baker Candlestickmaker - Butcher’s origin story.  Now we know why he’s a wee bastard.  Grin  That one scene....gruesome. And definitely not how it happened on the TV series.  Good stuff.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »

I loved that Butcher' mini. Not like he's a great, or a good man...but at least you could see where a man of his ilk might be driven the way he is.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 05:53:06 PM »

Hey Jimmy, You leaving me hanging on my Fantasy question? What's up with that?
 Tongue

Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 11:55:39 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #5
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5
Batman #86
20XX #1

Die #10
Doctor Mirage #5
Gideon Falls #19
Rai #2
Psi-Lords #7
Undiscovered Country #2

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #21

Dead Man Logan #9
Invaders #6
War of the Realms #6

Thor #13
Thor #14
Venom #14
Venom #15
Black Cat #1

Venom #14 & 15 - although I like the Jack O Lantern conflict, War of Realms derailed this series.  Glad it’s over and we can get back to the real story.

Spider-Man: Life Story #4 - interesting take on the clone stuff.  Man, Otto and Norman were looking old! Pete’s gotta be pushing 50 in 1995.  Can’t wait to see how his age affects him in the next issue.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #8 - I’m starting to lose interest.  This was a good story so it must be just me.

Black Cat #1 - Loved this first issue.  It has some problems, like this guild treating Felicia like a second string thief when she just recently ran a Kingpin like gang.  But I got over that nit pick and enjoyed.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 10:23:53 AM »

Lois Lane #7
Sandman: Overture #1
Hellblazer #1

X-Men #4
New Mutants #5
X-Force #'s 3-5

Justice League Dark #18 - An okay issue. Man this series drives me crazy. Blows me away and then ...  Undecided

X-Force #3 - Only got this issue as I wanted to see if I really needed to buy #4 and #5. I do.  Grin
Marvels X #1 - An interesting start to this Marvels prequel. The art is decent, or at least serviceable (man that makes it sound bad ... it is just not Alex Ross, ya know?)

East of West #16
East of West #17
East of West #18
East of West #19
East of West #20
East of West #21
East of West #22
East of West #23
East of West #24
- Some of these one page splash pages ... OH MY GOD!!! I would kill for some of these. The more I get into this series the more I find myself falling head over heels with Nick Dragotta's art. I have always liked his style, but the appreciation I now have for what he is throwing on these pages ... perfection!!!
Also love how Hickman brings us back to points in time we have already been exposed to, yet shows us more of the scene that we did not know about. I especially love when it happens to parts I had questioned prior, felt lost on if you will, but he brings it back around to show me that I didn't miss anything, he just waited to show us.
 Grin
The bomb in the mouth thing for example.
 Cheesy
The who really did that and the reason is not shown until, what, 10 or so issues later? Love that. Well, I love that reading it this way, all in one go (essentially). No way, as I have said before, would I have enjoyed this ... been able to follow this ... if I read this month to month.

Yes, monthly comics are great for that occasional grand cliffhanger, but when you (read as "I"  Grin) forget why the cliffhanger happened, is it really better?

East of West: The World

Batman #86

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 09:46:03 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #5
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5
Batman #86
20XX #1

Die #10
Doctor Mirage #5
Gideon Falls #19
Rai #2
Psi-Lords #7
Undiscovered Country #2

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #21

Dead Man Logan #9
Invaders #6
War of the Realms #6

Thor #13
Thor #14
Venom #14
Venom #15
Black Cat #1

Die #10 - Hmmm.  Starting wonder if our hero isn't the bad guy/girl after all?  Good intrigue issue!

Gideon Falls #19 - Still puzzling but that last page.  Creepy!

Undiscovered Country #2 - Good second issue.  The more answers we get, the more questions we have.  I like the characters here and watching the onion peel.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 11:36:13 PM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #5
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5
Batman #86
20XX #1

Die #10
Doctor Mirage #5
Gideon Falls #19
Rai #2
Psi-Lords #7
Undiscovered Country #2

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #21

Dead Man Logan #9
Invaders #6
War of the Realms #6

Thor #13
Thor #14
Venom #14
Venom #15
Black Cat #1

Doctor Mirage #5 - Final issue of this mini series.  Honestly, I didn't enjoy this at all until the last 3 pages of this issue which really just sets things up for the next Doctor Mirage story.  So if your thinking about getting this, my recommendation is to skip it.

Rai #2 - A very good issue!  I like how these are stand alone stories as Rai and Raijun journey across the country.  I don't want to spoil but I will recommend you grab this one.

The Boys Vol 11: Over the Hill with Swords of a Thousand Men - HOLY COW!!!!!  What could possibly come in the next Volume since this one wrapped up some pretty BIG THINGS!!!!!  Loved it.  Really really good book! 

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 11:38:14 PM »

Justice League Dark #18 - An okay issue. Man this series drives me crazy. Blows me away and then ...  Undecided

I feel the same way.  I go back and forth from wanting to drop it to wanting to read the next issue!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 03:01:24 AM »

ComiXolgy
Fallen Angels #5
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5
Batman #86
20XX #1

Die #10
Doctor Mirage #5
Gideon Falls #19
Rai #2
Psi-Lords #7
Undiscovered Country #2

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny X-Men #21

Dead Man Logan #9
Invaders #6
War of the Realms #6

Thor #13
Thor #14
Venom #14
Venom #15
Black Cat #1

Psi-Lords #7 - An appearance by X-O!  Good to see him again.  Makes me miss his comic.  We're getting closer to the end of this tale and I'm enjoying it.

The Boys Vol 12: The Bloody Doors Off - Wow!  What an ending for this series.  Just one gut punch after another.  I don't know how I missed this when it came out but I'm so glad I read this now.  Can't wait to see how the TV show takes this since it's already taken a bit of a different route.  Gonna seem weird not having the next chapter to read.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 03:15:55 AM »

The Boys Vol 12: The Bloody Doors Off - Wow!  What an ending for this series.  Just one gut punch after another.  I don't know how I missed this when it came out but I'm so glad I read this now.  Can't wait to see how the TV show takes this since it's already taken a bit of a different route.  Gonna seem weird not having the next chapter to read.

Right? The ending pace, the content, the lack of obnoxiousness, gratuitious smut and well, assholishness really made the end just hit one hard. Definitely makes me glad I read it!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »

Excalibur #5
Young Justice #12
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »

Young Justice #12

Have you been enjoying this? Just curious as I have been scared to try it. Bendis writing a group is usually not for me, but if it's good ...
 Grin

Lois Lane #7
Hellblazer #1

X-Men #4
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5

East of West #25 - ooohhhh, that ending... Wolf and his uncle with ... ohhhh

X-Force #3 - Speaking of "oohhhs".... OOOHHHH THAT ENDING ...Wolverine and... Quentin?!?!?

East of West #16
East of West #17
East of West #18
East of West #19
East of West #20
East of West #21
East of West #22
East of West #23
East of West #24

Batman #86
Justice League Dark #18

X-Force #3
Marvels X #1

Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »

Young Justice #12

Have you been enjoying this? Just curious as I have been scared to try it. Bendis writing a group is usually not for me, but if it's good ...
 Grin

Lois Lane #7
Hellblazer #1

X-Men #4
New Mutants #5
X-Force #5

East of West #25 - ooohhhh, that ending... Wolf and his uncle with ... ohhhh

X-Force #3 - Speaking of "oohhhs".... OOOHHHH THAT ENDING ...Wolverine and... Quentin?!?!?

East of West #16
East of West #17
East of West #18
East of West #19
East of West #20
East of West #21
East of West #22
East of West #23
East of West #24

Batman #86
Justice League Dark #18

X-Force #3
Marvels X #1

Jinny Hex and Cassie are good characters but DC totally ruined Amethyst. The stories are cute and poke fun at the DCU. I really liked this issue with the Wonder Twins and Naomi joining.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 06:43:41 PM »

... but DC totally ruined Amethyst.

Oh? Before this series or was this a Bendis thing?

I have seen she is getting her own mini(?), I think that is what it is. It's been the preview pages at the back of most of the DC titles I have read this week (or so)

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:26 PM »

I actually had similar questions about Young Justice, as in how much has Bendis ruined done of my favorite characters, particularly Conner? Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS