HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:48:26 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, December 25, 2019 Christmas Day Comic Book Day!  (Read 5493 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 25, 2019, 06:14:28 AM »

Merry Christmas Hero Realmers!

Keeping this list lite as I know how these holiday reading opportunities go.

ComiXology
Batman & the Outsiders 3
Batman & the Outsiders 4
Batman Universe 1
Batman Universe 2
Lazarus Risen 2
Lazarus Risen 3
The Boys TPB Vol 5: Herogasm

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Special 1
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Han Solo 1
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Jabba the Hut 1
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Luke Skywalker
Star Wars: Tie Fighter 1
Star Wars: Tie Fighter 2
Star Wars: Tie Fighter 3
Doctor Aphra 33

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »

Saw the Star Wars movie so going to move through Star Wars comics!

ComiXology
Batman & the Outsiders 3
Batman & the Outsiders 4
Batman Universe 1
Batman Universe 2
Lazarus Risen 2
Lazarus Risen 3

Marvel Unlimited
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Jabba the Hutt 1

Doctor Aphra 33

-------------------------------------------------------

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Special 1 - Three stories featuring 3 characters: IG-88, Yoda, and Porkins & Biggs.  IG-88 story was a typical bounty hunter story.  Not bad.  The Yoda story was also a fine short story but nothing earth shattering.  The Porkins & Biggs story...uh...whoa.  A buddy comedy tale much like Image's "The Fix".  Wasn't expecting that.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Han Solo 1 - Ha!  Typical Han Solo.  Nice one.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Jabba the Hutt 1 - Now surprisingly, this was the best one so far.  I didn't expect that!  This issue is about not underestimating the great Jabba.  Which is what I did before reading!

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Luke Skywalker - Just ok story but I liked seeing Luke in the Black outfit from Return of the Jedi.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:48:42 PM »

ComiXology
Batman & the Outsiders 3
Batman & the Outsiders 4
Batman Universe 1
Batman Universe 2
Lazarus Risen 2
Lazarus Risen 3

Marvel Unlimited

Doctor Aphra 33

Star Wars: Tie Fighter 1,2, & 3 - A good story so far from the perspective of a Tie Fighter Squad.  Reads quickly but still has character.  Thumbs up.

Doctor Aphra 33 - Part 2 of the new arc and this time we're surrounded by Rebels.  Still my favorite Star Wars comic.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 01:11:02 AM »

ComiXology
Batman & the Outsiders 3
Batman & the Outsiders 4
Batman Universe 1
Batman Universe 2

Lazarus Risen 2
Lazarus Risen 3

Marvel Unlimited

Doctor Aphra 33

Batman & the Outsiders 3 & 4 - I like it but I don't see myself buying this past the first arc.  It's too expensive for just a slightly above average book.

Batman Universe 1 & 2 - This is a LOT of fun.  Proof that Bendis would have been better on Batman than what he's doing right now.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 02:03:11 AM »

ComiXology
Batman & the Outsiders 3
Batman & the Outsiders 4
Batman Universe 1
Batman Universe 2

Lazarus Risen 2
Lazarus Risen 3

Marvel Unlimited

Doctor Aphra 33

Lazarus Risen 2 & 3 - Man, I wish Rucka would quit doing Lois Lane and go back to doing this monthly.  This quarterly wait is killing me.  Especially since I have to wait even longer than that for the price to drop from $7.99 to $1.99.  Love this book and these two issues are prime reasons why.  Great battles between the Lazarus'.  Or is it Lazari?  Whatever - it's great!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »

ComiXology
Batman & the Outsiders 3
Batman & the Outsiders 4
Batman Universe 1
Batman Universe 2

Lazarus Risen 2
Lazarus Risen 3

Marvel Unlimited

Doctor Aphra 33

The Boys TPB Vol 5: Herogasm - Man these are some perverted characters.  Overall plot moves forward here and the baddies are escalating their plans.  Can’t wait to see them get some come uppings.

Speaking of which, I’m adding the next volume since I have some time this morning while waiting on the car to get fixed.

ADD: The Boys Vol 6: Self-Preservation Society

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »

I read!!!!

Amazing Spider-man 9-10
Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-man 311-313, Spider-geddon 5-what, PPSM is done? I know FNSM starts a little later...but I'll miss this book's levity. Also, I hate all things Morlun, and will make a thread to complain. Cheesy

I find it funny, that there are no less than 2 #1 Captain Marvel issues in my long 100+ issue backlog of Marvel comics from the past 18 months-plus there are issues before that at #125 from the prior series! Maybe it's because no one enjoys Military Bitch Carol? So they keep restarting for interest? Well, I'll see when I get there.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »

Captain America 5-11 : I think, I feel, that I should really enjoy this book. The espionage, the secrets, the man out of time, the Hero for a country who doesn't believe in him-but he believes still. The art has been really good. A big over arching story? I should be all on board. Why isn't it my favorite? I think a little bit of feeling like there's too much character navel-gazing exposition.

Either that, or it just goes a wee slow in it's build.

Immortal Hulk 17-19 : I LOVE THIS HULK BOOK SO MUCH THANK YOU AL EWING I WILL BUY THIS IN TRADES!!!! That and I have always been a huge Joe Bennett fan on art. I remember his art back on Spider-man Unlimited stories (the 'Unlimited' title was a 5th week title to make sure Spider-man books were published each week!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »

ADD: The Boys Vol 6: Self-Preservation Society

——————————————————————————————————————

The Boys Vol 6: Self-Preservation Society - Another great take down of a loser super team. And the origins of the rest the team (except Butcher).  Great collection.  The battles here with the #2 super team are some of the most brutal and most deserved. Thumbs way up!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 03:25:45 PM »

Immortal Hulk 17-19 : I LOVE THIS HULK BOOK SO MUCH THANK YOU AL EWING I WILL BUY THIS IN TRADES!!!!

I agree, Jimmy.  This will go down as one of the great Hulk runs.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 04:46:45 PM »

Yeah...that ending in 19...wow! And just all the visual looks of the Harpy and Abomination....what a great, classic creepy-horror kind of book!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 07:06:02 AM »

ADD: The Boys Vol 7: The Innocents

The Boys Vol  7: The Innocents - I’m cruising through these now.  And oh man does this one hurt.  This one makes me hate Butcher.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »

Strolling along at my normal pace this week, although I had planned on knocking out the Annihilation one-shots to finish that "minivent" (HeeHee) but was sidetracked along the way and read non of it
 Grin

New Mutants #2
New Mutants #3
New Mutants #4
- It seems I am going to enjoy the Hickman "Mutants in space" stuff more than the Brisson stuff  Undecided
Invaders #12 - An okay series that kind of did nothing in the long run. As is the way. Still enjoyed it  Smiley
Ghost Rider #3 - But really enjoying this. Art was a little less spectacular here, having a fill-in artist after 2 issues? Really? I bet Buscema and Kirby are rolling over in their graves while Perez is happy he can't see such a thing happen!!
WOW, damn Perry, that was mean ... and towards the wrong person. WTH???
 Grin

Lois Lane #5
Lois Lane #6
- Never cared for Lois' dad, sooo ... But still love the way Rucka writes women!
Tales from the Dark Mulitverse: Blackest Night - Not as good as Titans, well, not as much wow factor
Batman: Last Knight on Earth #2
Batman: Last Knight on Earth #3
- Really enjoyed this 3 issue "What-if" Batman story set in the near future. Can't wait to see what Capullo is on next!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 02:49:19 AM »

ADD: The Boys Vol. 8: Highland Laddie

The Boys Vol. 8: Highland Laddie - Had to find out what happens next after Vol 7.  Glad I did because now I'm not so mad at Butcher.  Well, yeah, I am but at least what he did wasn't permanent.  But I can see that things won't be all roses when Hughie's truth comes out.  Great Volume.  And I knew....
that guy on vacation had to really be Mallory.
Looking forward to where this is going!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 04:45:53 AM »

I could not stand the written accents on Hughie's vacation. I just can't stand reading that much written slop of the human tongue. Really took me out of that volume, and I really only looked at a lot of the pictures without much reading.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS